|Median resident age:||37.9 years|
|Missouri median age:||33.9 years|
Zip codes: 63456.
Monroe City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $76,669 (it was $62,300 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $491.
- White alone - 2,257 (88.4%)
- Black alone - 214 (8.4%)
- Two or more races - 40 (1.6%)
- Hispanic - 17 (0.7%)
- American Indian alone - 7 (0.3%)
- Asian alone - 8 (0.3%)
|Where Are The Farmlands? (52 replies)|
|Missouri Events (269 replies)|
|Hopefully some great MO cities to choose from!! (25 replies)|
|Columbia~ shopping, restaurants and things to do (17 replies)|
|Tell me the bad (34 replies)|
|Palmyra farm land values (4 replies)|
Latest news from Monroe City, MO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (22.2%), German (21.7%), Irish (8.5%), English (7.2%), Dutch (2.8%), Scottish (1.8%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1869
Elevation: 749 feet
Land area: 3.09 square miles.
|Population density: 804 people per square mile||(low).|
For population 25 years and over in Monroe City:
- High school or higher: 87.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 23.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.8%
- Unemployed: 4.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 17.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Monroe City city:
- Never married: 26.8%
- Now married: 47.4%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 9.0%
- Divorced: 16.2%
6 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Missouri and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Monroe City, Missouri as of January 28, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Monroe City to the number of sex offenders is 497 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $708 (1.0%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $794 (1.0%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Columbia, MO (58.4 miles , pop. 84,531).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Louis, MO (106.9 miles , pop. 348,189).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (260.7 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Hunnewell, MO (2.6 miles ), Stoutsville, MO (3.1 miles) , Rensselaer, MO (3.2 miles) , Florida, MO (3.4 miles) , Center, MO (3.8 miles ), Goss, MO (3.8 miles) , Palmyra, MO (3.9 miles ), Perry, MO (4.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 6 buildings, average cost: $83,800
- 1998: 7 buildings, average cost: $104,100
- 1999: 6 buildings, average cost: $107,500
- 2000: 12 buildings, average cost: $85,900
- 2001: 6 buildings, average cost: $78,300
- 2002: 11 buildings, average cost: $120,500
- 2004: 8 buildings, average cost: $84,400
- 2006: 4 buildings, average cost: $165,000
- 2007: 4 buildings, average cost: $121,300
- 2008: 3 buildings, average cost: $143,300
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $255,000
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $130,000
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $130,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 39.65 N, Longitude: 91.73 W
Area code: 573
|Crime rates in Monroe City by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 296.0)||174.8||241.6||229.7||342.6||379.5||330.9||324.9||154.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Monroe City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.79|
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -153 (-5.6%).
- Manufacturing (16%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Construction (11%)
- Transportation and warehousing (9%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (7%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (25%)
- Educational services (24%)
- Retail trade (19%)
- Manufacturing (6%)
- Transportation and warehousing (4%)
- Information (3%)
- Public administration (3%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (15%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Cashiers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
Average climate in Monroe City, Missouri
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Monroe City-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Missouri state average. It is 21% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/23/1975, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 21.2 miles away from the Monroe City city center killed one person and injured 4 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/10/2003, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 1.1 miles away from the city center .
Earthquake activity:Monroe City-area historical earthquake activity is near Missouri state average. It is 77% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 222.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 214.0 miles away from Monroe City center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 209.2 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 237.6 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 242.1 miles away from Monroe City center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 224.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Marion County (18) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 9, Storms: 8, Tornadoes: 6, Winter Storms: 5, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Monroe City:
Airports located in Monroe City:
- Capt. Ben Smith Airfield - Monroe City Airport (Runways: 1, Air Taxi Ops: 50, Itinerant Ops: 1,000, Local Ops: 1,000, Military Ops: 10)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Monroe City:
- Moberly Area Community College (about 42 miles; Moberly, MO; Full-time enrollment: 3,977)
- Columbia College (about 58 miles; Columbia, MO; FT enrollment: 13,975)
- Truman State University (about 59 miles; Kirksville, MO; FT enrollment: 5,553)
- University of Missouri-Columbia (about 59 miles; Columbia, MO; FT enrollment: 29,599)
- Lincoln University (about 79 miles; Jefferson City, MO; FT enrollment: 2,348)
- Western Illinois University (about 79 miles; Macomb, IL; FT enrollment: 10,755)
- St Charles Community College (about 86 miles; Cottleville, MO; FT enrollment: 5,302)
Public high school in Monroe City:
- Monroe City R-I High School (Students: 289; Location: 401 Hwys 24-36 East; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Monroe City:
Private elementary/middle schools in Monroe City:
User submitted facts and corrections:
- Portions of Monroe City are within three different counties (Monroe, Ralls & Marion). Roughly 90% of the City sits within Monroe County.
- F4 Tornado March 12 2006
Notable location: Monroe City Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Saint Judes Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Reservoir: Monroe Lake A (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in Monroe City include: South Park (1), North Park (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: Harbor Inn (Route J), Bel-Air Motel (1 Highway 36 & 24 East), Monroe City Inn (3 Gateway Square).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 64.6. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2010 was 1.82. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.7 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 36.1. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 15.3. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 12.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2005 was 12.1. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 12.7 miles away from the city center.
(13.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 70.3% for Black residents, 37.5% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for American Indian residents, 21.6% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
People in group quarters in Monroe City in 2010:
- 55 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 41 people in group homes intended for adults
- 2 people in other noninstitutional facilities
21 people in other noninstitutional group quarters in 2000
Monroe City compared to Missouri state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
Banks with branches in Monroe City (2011 data):
- UMB Bank, National Association: Monroe City Branch at 201 North Main Street, branch established on 1875/01/01. Info updated 2007/12/13: Bank assets: $11,205.9 mil, Deposits: $8,538.8 mil, headquarters in Kansas City, MO, positive income, 107 total offices, Holding Company: Umb Financial Corporation
- HNB National Bank: Monroe City Facility at Old Highway 36, branch established on 1987/03/20. Info updated 2012/01/19: Bank assets: $319.6 mil, Deposits: $273.4 mil, headquarters in Hannibal, MO, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 12 total offices
- Alliant Bank: Monroe City Branch at 921 Highway 24 And 36 East, branch established on 1998/11/30. Info updated 2010/08/31: Bank assets: $106.3 mil, Deposits: $91.9 mil, headquarters in Madison, MO, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 7 total offices, Holding Company: Nemo Bancshares, Inc
- F&M Bank and Trust Company: F&M Bank And Trust Company Branch at 902 Highway 24 And 36 E, branch established on 1886/01/01. Info updated 2011/07/21: Bank assets: $186.8 mil, Deposits: $150.3 mil, headquarters in Hannibal, MO, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 9 total offices
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (64%)
- Electricity (29%)
- Wood (4%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
Religion statistics for Monroe City city (based on Marion County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 65.52%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Catholic Church||Lutheran Church||United Methodist Church||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)|
|Name||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Assemblies of God||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Church of the Nazarene||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Marion County:||2.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||1.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Marion County:||8.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.59 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$7,541||$45,246||8||$5,936|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||1||$554|
|Police Protection - Officers||7||$17,245||$29,563||5||$3,374|
|Police - Other||1||$2,190||$26,280||3||$1,689|
|Streets and Highways||6||$12,624||$25,248||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||33||$90,565||$32,933||34||$17,850|
6.43% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 200529,527 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Ralls County, MO||1.17% ($30,463 average AGI)|
|from Adams County, IL||0.63% ($29,197)|
|from Lewis County, MO||0.30% ($28,452)|
6.06% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 200630,175 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Monroe City:
- KHMO (1070 AM; 5 kW; HANNIBAL, MO)
- WTAD (930 AM; 5 kW; QUINCY, IL; Owner: STARADIO CORPORATION)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGEM (1440 AM; 5 kW; QUINCY, IL; Owner: QUINCY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WSDZ (1260 AM; 20 kW; BELLEVILLE, IL)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Monroe City:
- KWBZ (107.5 FM; MONROE CITY, MO; Owner: WPW BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KGRC (92.9 FM; HANNIBAL, MO; Owner: STARADIO CORPORATION)
- KJIR (91.7 FM; HANNIBAL, MO; Owner: BELIEVERS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KICK-FM (97.9 FM; PALMYRA, MO; Owner: BICK BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCOY (99.5 FM; QUINCY, IL; Owner: STARADIO CORPORATION)
- KZZK (105.9 FM; NEW LONDON, MO; Owner: STARADIO CORPORATION)
- KWWR (95.7 FM; MEXICO, MO; Owner: KXEO RADIO, INC.)
- KKAC (104.3 FM; VANDALIA, MO; Owner: TWENTY-ONE SOUND COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KRXL (94.5 FM; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Owner: KIRX, INC.)
- WGEM-FM (105.1 FM; QUINCY, IL; Owner: QUINCY NEWSPAPERS, INC.)
- KRRY (100.9 FM; CANTON, MO; Owner: BICK BROADCASTING CO.)
- WQUB (90.3 FM; QUINCY, IL; Owner: QUINCY UNIVERSITY CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around Monroe City:
- KTVO (Channel 3; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Owner: KTVO LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, INC.)
- W53BP (Channel 53; QUINCY, IL; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W49BS (Channel 49; QUINCY, IL; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- KHQA-TV (Channel 7; HANNIBAL, MO; Owner: CHELSEY BROADCASTING COMPANY OF QUINCY, LLC)
- WTJR (Channel 16; QUINCY, IL; Owner: BELIEVER'S BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W61CO (Channel 61; QUINCY, IL; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W36BS (Channel 36; QUINCY, IL; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WGEM-TV (Channel 10; QUINCY, IL; Owner: QUINCY BROADCASTING CO.)
- W18CJ (Channel 18; QUINCY, IL; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- W69DF (Channel 69; QUINCY, IL; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- K40GO (Channel 40; QUINCY, IL; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- Fatal accident count: 8
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 12
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 2
- Fatalities: 9
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 18
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 0
- Fatal accident count: 107
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 164
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 36
- Fatalities: 117
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 270
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 13
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 47
- Hazardous Condition: 3
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Monroe City
|Most common first names in Monroe City, MO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Monroe City, MO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Monroe City, MO|
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2015.