We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||50.4 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04464.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $21,163 (it was $14,044 in 2000)
Monson town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $101,497 (it was $61,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $146,333; Detached houses: $158,409; Townhouses or other attached units: $192,170; In 2-unit structures: $150,318; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $86,534; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $328,038; Mobile homes: $49,046
Races in Monson, ME (2010)
- 65695.6%White alone
- 142.0%Two or more races
- 40.6%American Indian alone
- 20.3%Black alone
- 10.1%Asian alone
- 10.1%Other race alone
|Finally, I bought a house Abbot, ME! Yay!!! (27 replies)|
|Is the East-West Highway a done deal? (131 replies)|
|What is your favorite place in Maine? (24 replies)|
|Seeking advice on selecting a firewood supplier (22 replies)|
|What Maine town is a true quaint New England town? (44 replies)|
|Considering Island Falls as a retirement spot... (11 replies)|
Latest news from Monson, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (20.4%), French (14.6%), Irish (12.9%), Scottish (10.4%), United States (9.6%), German (7.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 02/08/1822
Elevation: 850 feet
Land area: 47.1 square miles.
Population density: 15 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Monson:
- High school or higher: 76.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.0%
- Unemployed: 8.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Monson town:
- Never married: 23.4%
- Now married: 59.0%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 6.0%
- Divorced: 10.8%
5 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Monson town:||1.2% ($719)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (118.3 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (219.8 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (378.0 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Abbot, ME (2.5 miles ), Willimantic, ME (2.5 miles) , Shirley, ME (2.7 miles) , Guilford, ME (3.1 miles ), Parkman, ME (3.4 miles ), Bowerbank, ME (3.5 miles) , Greenville, ME (3.6 miles ), Wellington, ME (3.8 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 6 buildings, average cost: $91,700
- 1998: 5 buildings, average cost: $101,700
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $109,200
- 2000: 5 buildings, average cost: $114,400
- 2001: 2 buildings, average cost: $121,400
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $132,800
- 2004: 6 buildings, average cost: $141,800
- 2005: 4 buildings, average cost: $150,200
- 2006: 2 buildings, average cost: $171,000
- 2007: 5 buildings, average cost: $181,200
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $165,900
- 2011: 3 buildings, average cost: $172,800
- 2012: 2 buildings, average cost: $184,000
- 2013: 2 buildings, average cost: $184,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 45.29 N, Longitude: 69.51 W
Area code: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (18%)
- Construction (10%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (8%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Textile mills and textile products (7%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (6%)
- Wood products (4%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (12%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (10%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Textile mills and textile products (8%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Health care (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (13%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (9%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (5%)
- Carpenters (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (12%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (10%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Woodworkers (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Business operations specialists (6%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (6%)
Average climate in Monson, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Monson-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 93% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 213.7 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 255.3 miles away from Monson center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 161.2 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 93.3 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 55.8 miles away from Monson center
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi) earthquake occurred 120.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Piscataquis County (20) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 11, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Olive Winchester - Theologian and minister.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Monson:
- Husson University (about 48 miles; Bangor, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine (about 49 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 54 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 68 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 112 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 119 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 119 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
Notable locations in Monson: Finn Hall (A), Monson Volunteer Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Monson: Monson Community Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Monson Cemetery (1), Hillside Cemetery (2), Lake Road Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Towne Pond (A), Bell Pond (B), Doe Pond (C), Doughty Ponds (D), Eighteen Pond (E), Eighteen Quarry Pond (F), Lily Pond (G), Meadow Pond (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: North Pond Brook (A), Goodell Brook (B), Hammond Brook (C), Witham Brook (D), Peppermint Brook (E), Prescott Brook (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2010 was 36.1. This is significantly better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2001 was 28.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2010 was 5.04. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 13.0 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Monson town (based on Piscataquis County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Piscataquis County:||5.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Piscataquis County:||4.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Piscataquis County:||8.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.65% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,622 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||2.00% ($26,472 average AGI)|
|from Somerset County, ME||0.36% ($34,864)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.28% ($48,588)|
6.17% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,622 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Monson:
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Monson:
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGUY (102.1 FM; DEXTER, ME; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WDME-FM (103.1 FM; DOVER-FOXCROFT, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWBX (97.1 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Monson:
- W27CE (Channel 19; DOVER-FOXCROFT, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Monson fatal accident list:
Jan 19, 2003 08:45 PM, Sr-15, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 3, Pedestrians: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
May 21, 1997 02:03 AM, 6, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Jun 6, 1988 10:15 PM, 70567057, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Jun 26, 1982 04:12 PM, 10851120, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 3m10ftTotal length
- $159,000Total costs
- 178Total average daily traffic
- 8Total average daily truck traffic
- 267Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Main St (Lat: 45.284778 Lon: -69.499778), Call Sign: KQS623, Licensee ID: L00422608
Assigned Frequencies: 154.310 MHzGrant Date: 11/22/2001, Expiration Date: 12/31/2011, Cancellation Date: 03/03/2012Registrant: Monson, Town Of, Main St, Monson, ME 04464, Phone: (207) 997-3641
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: KX2W, Licensee ID: L00290802, Grant Date: 10/22/2007, Expiration Date: 01/06/2018, Certifier: Freeman S Shontz, Registrant: Freeman S Shontz, 747 N Guilford Rd, Monson, ME 04464
- Call Sign: N1GTY, Licensee ID: L00384924, Grant Date: 08/01/2011, Expiration Date: 10/29/2021, Certifier: Ernest E Copeland Jr, Registrant: Ernest E Copeland Jr, Monson, ME 04464
- Call Sign: N2CLX, Licensee ID: L00290801, Grant Date: 09/13/2005, Expiration Date: 12/07/2015, Certifier: Mary L Shontz, Registrant: Mary L Shontz, 747 N Guilford Rd, Monson, ME 04464
Drinking water stations with addresses in Monson and their reported violations in the past:MONSON UTILITIES DISTRICT (Population served: 303, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- One routine major monitoring violation
- 13 regular monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 6
- Hazardous Condition: 1
- Good Intent Call: 2
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (73%)
- Wood (16%)
- Electricity (9%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Monson compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.