|Median resident age:||35.6 years|
|Colorado median age:||38.5 years|
Zip codes: 81144.
Monte Vista city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $92,452 (it was $74,000 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $532.
- Hispanic - 2,726 (61.3%)
- White alone - 1,608 (36.2%)
- Two or more races - 45 (1.0%)
- American Indian alone - 37 (0.8%)
- Asian alone - 14 (0.3%)
- Black alone - 7 (0.2%)
- Other race alone - 7 (0.2%)
Latest news from Monte Vista, CO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (11.8%), English (5.6%), Irish (5.5%), French (3.9%), Scotch-Irish (1.9%), United States (1.6%).
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Elevation: 7663 feet
Land area: 1.89 square miles.
Population density: 2,315 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Monte Vista:
- High school or higher: 77.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.4%
- Unemployed: 8.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 14.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Monte Vista city:
- Never married: 29.0%
- Now married: 41.2%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 9.1%
- Divorced: 19.3%
421 residents are foreign born (1.1% Europe).
According to our research of Colorado and other state lists there were 8 registered sex offenders living in Monte Vista, Colorado as of May 25, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Monte Vista to the number of sex offenders is 554 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $632 (0.7%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $625 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Pueblo, CO (95.9 miles , pop. 102,121).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Colorado Springs, CO (115.4 miles , pop. 360,890).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (435.5 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: Sargent, CO (2.8 miles ), Center, CO (3.5 miles ), Del Norte, CO (3.7 miles ), Alamosa, CO (4.1 miles ), Alamosa East, CO (4.2 miles ), Hooper, CO (4.3 miles) , Capulin, CO (4.5 miles) , Mosca-Hooper, CO (4.5 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 11 buildings, average cost: $71,500
- 1998: 6 buildings, average cost: $75,700
- 1999: 6 buildings, average cost: $73,500
- 2000: 27 buildings, average cost: $57,600
- 2001: 8 buildings, average cost: $136,800
- 2002: 9 buildings, average cost: $136,800
- 2003: 6 buildings, average cost: $60,700
- 2005: 10 buildings, average cost: $75,100
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 37.58 N, Longitude: 106.15 W
Area code: 719
|Crime rates in Monte Vista by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 298.9)||330.7||281.5||279.5||287.5||221.2||302.8||266.4||373.7||224.8||206.0||203.3||401.6|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Monte Vista detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.45|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +182 (+4.2%).
- Retail trade (15%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Manufacturing (9%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (8%)
- Health care and social assistance (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (30%)
- Health care and social assistance (19%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Information (6%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (4%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (14%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (9%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Other healthcare support occupations (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
Average climate in Monte Vista, Colorado
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Monte Vista-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Colorado state average. It is 150% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 88.4 miles away from the city center
On 1/3/2007 at 14:34:38, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.4 MW, 4.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 77.3 miles away from Monte Vista center
On 9/13/1994 at 06:01:23, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 ML, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 107.5 miles away from the city center
On 9/5/2001 at 10:52:07, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 89.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/1992 at 11:57:34, a magnitude 7.6 (6.2 MB, 7.6 MS, 7.3 MW, Depth: 0.7 mi, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 627.1 miles away from Monte Vista center, causing 3 deaths (1 shaking deaths, 2 other deaths) and 400 injuries, causing $100,000,000 total damage and $40,000,000 insured losses
On 8/1/2004 at 06:50:47, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 75.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Rio Grande County (5) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 2, Floods: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Myron Thompson - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers in Monte Vista:
- COLORADO STATE VETERANS CENTER-HOMELAKE (3749 SHERMAN AVENUE)
- JUNIPER VILLAGE AT MONTE VISTA (2277 EAST DRIVE)
Other hospitals and medical centers near Monte Vista:
Airports located in Monte Vista:
- Monte Vista Municipal Airport (Runways: 3, Itinerant Ops: 2,628, Local Ops: 3,942, Military Ops: 30)
- Mc Cullough Airport (Runways: 1)
- Van Treese Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Monte Vista:
- Adams State University (about 17 miles; Alamosa, CO; Full-time enrollment: 2,805)
- Western State Colorado University (about 80 miles; Gunnison, CO; FT enrollment: 2,023)
- Pueblo Community College (about 96 miles; Pueblo, CO; FT enrollment: 5,329)
- Fort Lewis College (about 97 miles; Durango, CO; FT enrollment: 3,631)
- Colorado State University-Pueblo (about 100 miles; Pueblo, CO; FT enrollment: 5,993)
- Pikes Peak Community College (about 111 miles; Colorado Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 10,395)
- Colorado College (about 114 miles; Colorado Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 2,199)
Public high schools in Monte Vista:
- Monte Vista Senior High School (Students: 291; Location: 349 PROSPECT; Grades: 9-12)
- Sargent Senior High School (Students: 149; Location: 7090 NORTH ROAD 2 EAST; Grades: 9-12)
- Monte Vista On-Line Academy School (Students: 92; Location: 345 EAST PROSPECT; Grades: 4-12)
- Byron Syring Delta Center School (Students: 78; Location: 345 PROSPECT; Grades: 7-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Monte Vista:
- Bill Metz Elementary School (Students: 315; Location: 545 SECOND; Grades: 2-5)
- Sargent Elementary School (Students: 251; Location: 7090 NORTH ROAD 2 EAST; Grades: K-6)
- Monte Vista Middle School (Students: 216; Location: 3720 SHERMAN AVENUE; Grades: 6-8)
- Marsh Elementary School (Students: 208; Location: 215 LYELL; Grades: PK-1)
- Sargent Junior High School (Students: 71; Location: 7090 NORTH ROAD 2 EAST; Grades: 7-8)
Private elementary/middle school in Monte Vista:
User submitted facts and corrections:
- KALQ FM RADIO STATION OF ALAMOSA, CO. HAS A VERY STRONG SIGNAL IN MONTE VISTA--BUT IS NOT LISTED. LIKE KGIW AM, KALQ IS OWNED AND OPERATED BY COMMUNITY BROADCSATING CORP. STATION IS ON THE DIAL AT 93.5
- The picture that is labled "Library" is not the town library. It is a historical building and should probably be labled as such so that visitors do not get the mistaken impreshion that Monte Vista only has minute one room building for a library. The a corner of the actual library can be see in the picture, brick buliding to the right.
- Transportation of the West Museum, 916 First Ave., Monte Vista, CO, open Monday-Friday 12 noon to 4 pm, 719-852-8864 displays a historic picture collection and artifacts about the development of transportation in the San Luis Valley and its affect on agriculture.
- St. Peter's Lutheran School 25 students Grades K - 8th
Notable locations in Monte Vista: City of Monte Vista Facilities Building (A), Monte Vista Fire Department (B), Monte Vista Emergency Medical Services (C), Monte Vista Police Department (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Monte Vista include: Saint Joseph Catholic Church Monte Vista (A), Seventh Day Adventist Church (B), Saint Peters Lutheran Church (C), Valley Church of the Nazarene (D), United Methodist Church (E), Saint Stephen the Martyr Episcopal Church (F), Presbyterian Church - First of Monte Vista (G), Lariat Community Baptist Church (H), First Christian Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attractions: Monte Vista Historical (Historical Places & Services; 110 Jefferson Street), San Luis Valley Information Center (947 1st Avenue).
Hotels: Best Western Movie Manor (2830 West US Highway 160), Comfort Inn (1519 Grande Ave), Comfort Inn Monte Vista (1519 Grande Avenue).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 68.3. This is about average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 32.5. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 16.4 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Monte Vista and their reported violations in the past:MONTE VISTA CITY OF (Population served: 4,600, Groundwater):
Past health violations:THIRTY MILE CG (Population served: 66, Groundwater):
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In MAY-2009, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif received (MAY-09-2009), St Public Notif requested (MAY-13-2009), St Violation/Reminder Notice (MAY-13-2009), St Compliance achieved (DEC-08-2009)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In APR-2005, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (2 times from APR-15-2005 to APR-15-2005), St Public Notif requested (2 times from APR-15-2005 to APR-15-2005), St Public Notif received (2 times from APR-27-2005 to APR-27-2005), St Compliance achieved (MAY-15-2007)
Past monitoring violations:PENITENTE CANYON CG BLM (Population served: 30, Groundwater):
- One routine major monitoring violation
Past monitoring violations:SARGENT HIGH SCHOOL GYM (Population served: 26, Groundwater):
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
- One regular monitoring violation
Past monitoring violations:
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
Drinking water stations with addresses in Monte Vista that have no violations reported:
- MOVIE MANOR MOTEL (Population served: 139, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
(22.7% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Black residents, 16.3% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 13.4% for American Indian residents, 16.7% for other race residents, 4.9% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
8 people in group homes intended for adults in 2010
80 people in nursing homes in 2000
Monte Vista compared to Colorado state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Banks with branches in Monte Vista (2011 data):
- Bank Midwest, National Association: Monte Vista Branch at 59 North Broadway, branch established on 1993/12/13. Info updated 2012/03/19: Bank assets: $6,237.6 mil, Deposits: $5,064.6 mil, headquarters in Kansas City, MO, positive income, 138 total offices, Holding Company: Nbh Holdings Corp.
- Rio Grande Savings and Loan Association: Rio Grande Savings And Loan Associat at 901 1st Avenue, branch established on 1905/01/01. Info updated 2011/07/21: Bank assets: $96.9 mil, Deposits: $86.4 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 3 total offices
- San Luis Valley Federal Bank: 2nd & Madison Streets Branch at 1106 2nd Avenue, branch established on 1899/01/01. Info updated 2011/07/21: Bank assets: $236.9 mil, Deposits: $198.2 mil, headquarters in Alamosa, CO, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 3 total offices
- Sunflower Bank, National Association: Monte Vista Branch at 101 Adams Street, branch established on 1936/08/27. Info updated 2011/09/20: Bank assets: $1,733.8 mil, Deposits: $1,299.6 mil, headquarters in Salina, KS, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 34 total offices, Holding Company: Sunflower Financial, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (73%)
- Electricity (11%)
- Wood (8%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
- Other fuel (3%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Monte Vista city (based on Rio Grande County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 57.69%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||LDS (Mormon) Church||Assemblies of God|
|Name||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Church of the Nazarene||International Council of Community Churches||Lutheran Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Rio Grande County:||6.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Colorado:||1.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|Rio Grande County:||7.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||12.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Rio Grande County:||17.5%|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||3||$15,633||$62,532||4||$2,748|
|Police Protection - Officers||12||$42,566||$42,566||0||$0|
|Police - Other||3||$7,481||$29,924||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||8||$25,027||$37,541||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||1||$2,411||$28,932||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||33||$112,386||$40,868||4||$2,748|
6.73% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($28,948 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Alamosa County, CO||1.11% ($24,556 average AGI)|
|from El Paso County, CO||0.35% ($23,824)|
|from Conejos County, CO||0.29% ($20,500)|
7.79% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,777 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Monte Vista:
- KSLV (1240 AM; 1 kW; MONTE VISTA, CO; Owner: SAN LUIS VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KKOB (770 AM; 50 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KGIW (1450 AM; 1 kW; ALAMOSA, CO; Owner: COMMUNITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KNZZ (1100 AM; 50 kW; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: M B C GRAND BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KTNN (660 AM; 50 kW; WINDOW ROCK, AZ; Owner: THE NAVAJO NATION)
- KMXA (1090 AM; 50 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KCBR (1040 AM; daytime; 15 kW; MONUMENT, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KHAC (880 AM; 43 kW; TSE BONITO, NM; Owner: WESTERN INDIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- KLMO (1060 AM; 30 kW; LONGMONT, CO; Owner: PILGRIM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KCMN (1530 AM; 15 kW; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO)
Strongest FM radio stations in Monte Vista:
- KSLV-FM (95.3 FM; MONTE VISTA, CO; Owner: SAN LUIS VALLEY B/CNG, INC.)
- K244DO (96.7 FM; ALAMOSA, ETC., CO; Owner: SAN LUIS VALLEY TELEVISION, INC.)
- K219CF (91.7 FM; DEL NORTE, ETC., CO; Owner: MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOUNDATION, INC.)
- K239AE (95.7 FM; BUENA VISTA, ETC, CO; Owner: COLORADO COLLEGE)
- K208DP (89.5 FM; NATHROP, CO; Owner: CHEYENNE MTN PUBLIC B/CAST HOUSE INC)
- KSBV (93.7 FM; SALIDA, CO; Owner: ARKANSAS VALLEY BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KRZA (88.7 FM; ALAMOSA, CO; Owner: EQUAL REPRESENTATION/MEDIA ADVOCACY)
- K203AT (88.5 FM; WESTCLIFFE, ETC., CO; Owner: THE COLORADO COLLEGE)
TV broadcast stations around Monte Vista:
- K07KB (Channel 7; DEL NORTE, CO; Owner: PARKER HILL TV ASSOCIATION)
- K41DJ (Channel 41; DEL NORTE-SOUTH FORK, CO; Owner: SOUTH FORK TV ASSOCIATION)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 2
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 3
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 1
- Fatalities: 2
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 6
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 0
- Fatal accident count: 160
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 248
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 73
- Fatalities: 171
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 424
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 27
Monte Vista fatal accident list:
Aug 28, 1976 09:54 PM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 25 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Monte Vista, CO)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 16 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Monte Vista)
FAA Registered Aircraft Manufacturers and Dealers: 1 (See the full list of FAA Registered Manufacturers and Dealers in Monte Vista)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 37 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
|Most common first names in Monte Vista, CO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Monte Vista, CO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Monte Vista, CO|
|Best Western||1||SONIC Drive-In||1|
|Dairy Queen||1||True Value||1|
Monte Vista on our top lists:
- #4 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest differences between morning and afternoon humidity"
- #6 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest wind speed differences during a year"
- #28 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most Hispanic residents"
- #74 on the list of "Top 100 highest located cities"
- #94 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Grocery and related product merchant wholesalers"
- #100 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Jewelry, luggage, and leather goods stores"
- #101 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Retail sales workers except cashiers"
- #98 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000"
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2015.