Effingham County has a predicted average indoor radon screening level between 2 and 4 pCi/L (pico curies per liter) - Moderate Potential
Air pollution and air quality trends
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µ/m3] level in 2001 was 22.5. This is about average. There were 7 monitors within city limits.
(lower is better)
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2011: 15.7%
(14.1% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 100.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
Average household size:
Percentage of family households:
|This village: || 2.2 people|
|Illinois: || 2.6 people|
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
|This village: || 54.8%|
|Whole state: || 65.8%|
No gay or lesbian households reported
|This village: || 2.2%|
|Whole state: || 6.3%|
Detailed information about poverty and poor residents in Montrose, IL
Montrose compared to Illinois state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Back to the top
Educational Attainment (%) in 2011
School Enrollment by Level of School (%)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (83%)
- Electricity (10%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (7%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Montrose (based on Effingham County data)
Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 73.47%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||Lutheran Church||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ|
Source: Jones, Dale E., et al. 2002. Congregations and Membership in the United States 2000. Nashville, TN: Glenmary Research Center.
|Name||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Assemblies of God||Church of the Nazarene||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
Number of grocery stores:
|Effingham County:||2.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|Number of supercenters and club stores:
|This county:||0.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.08 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (with gas):
|Effingham County:||5.85 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|Number of full-service restaurants:
|Here:||7.90 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|Adult diabetes rate:
|Illinois:||8.3%|Adult obesity rate:
|Illinois:||25.2%|Low-income preschool obesity rate:
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
||Monthly full-time payroll
||Average yearly full-time wage
||Monthly part-time payroll
|Other Government Administration
|Totals for Government
Montrose government finances in 2002(per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $27,000 ($135.00)
- Current Operations - Central Staff Services: $54,000 ($270.00)
Regular Highways: $28,000 ($140.00)
Water Utilities: $15,000 ($75.00)
Sewerage: $9,000 ($45.00)
- General - Interest on Debt: $10,000 ($50.00)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $145,000 ($725.00)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $160,000 ($800.00)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $150,000 ($750.00)
Water Utilities: $135,000 ($675.00)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $10,000 ($50.00)
Other, NEC: $10,000 ($50.00)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $6,000 ($30.00)
General Revenue, NEC: $2,000 ($10.00)
- Other Capital Outlay - Regular Highways: $12,000 ($60.00)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $258,000 ($1290.00)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $33,000 ($165.00)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $47,000 ($235.00)
Highways: $8,000 ($40.00)
- Tax - Property: $23,000 ($115.00)
NEC: $2,000 ($10.00)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $35,000 ($175.00)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $9,000 ($45.00)
4.51% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($32,919 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
5.92% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($29,607 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Montrose:
- WCRA (1090 AM; daytime; 1 kW; EFFINGHAM, IL)
- WLBH (1170 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MATTOON, IL; Owner: MATTOON BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WIBC (1070 AM; 50 kW; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WILY (1210 AM; daytime; 10 kW; CENTRALIA, IL; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WILL (580 AM; 5 kW; URBANA, IL; Owner: UNIV. OF ILLINOIS BOARD OF TRUSTEES)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WSDZ (1260 AM; 20 kW; BELLEVILLE, IL)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Montrose:
- WHQQ (98.9 FM; NEOGA, IL; Owner: WSHY, INC.)
- WCRC (95.7 FM; EFFINGHAM, IL; Owner: TWO PETAZ, INC.)
- W204BG (88.7 FM; EFFINGHAM, IL; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WKJT (102.3 FM; TEUTOPOLIS, IL; Owner: JOHN W. KIRBY)
- WIKK (103.5 FM; NEWTON, IL; Owner: V.L.N. BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WXEF (97.9 FM; EFFINGHAM, IL; Owner: PREMIER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCBH (104.3 FM; CASEY, IL; Owner: TWO PETAZ, INC.)
- W208AN (91.3 FM; EFFINGHAM, IL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WLBH-FM (96.9 FM; MATTOON, IL; Owner: MATTOON BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMCI (101.3 FM; NEOGA, IL; Owner: THE CROMWELL GROUP, INC. OF ILLINOIS)
- WUSI (90.3 FM; OLNEY, IL; Owner: BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF S. ILL. UNIVER.)
- WXET (107.9 FM; ARCOLA, IL; Owner: PREMIER BROADCASTING, INC)
- WLKL (89.9 FM; MATTOON, IL; Owner: COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT #517)
- WWGO (92.1 FM; CHARLESTON, IL; Owner: WHQQ, INC)
TV broadcast stations around Montrose:
- WEIL-LP (Channel 54; EFFINGHAM, IL; Owner: BELIEVER'S BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WUSI-TV (Channel 16; OLNEY, IL; Owner: BD. OF TRUSTEES SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY)
- WEIU-TV (Channel 51; CHARLESTON, IL; Owner: EASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY)
Montrose fatal accident list:
Feb 17, 2007 07:30 AM, I-70, Lat: 39.168322, Lon: -88.383622, Vehicles: 3, Fatalities: 1
Jul 15, 1989 09:00 PM, 2300e, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
Number of bridges: 4
Total length: 14 meters (46ft)
Total average daily traffic: 24,750
Total average daily truck traffic: 9,843
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:
1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Montrose
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:
23 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:
- 2 Mi Ssw (Lat: 39.132806 Lon: -88.398111), Call Sign: KNEV743
Assigned Frequencies: 151.520 MHz
Grant Date: 01/17/2013, Expiration Date: 02/11/2023
Registrant: Chuck Hartke, 22021 East 1500 Ave, Teutopolis, IL 62467, Phone: (217) 821-5863, Fax: (217) 924-4137, Email:
- 1 Mi S 4 Mi E 3/4 Mi N (Lat: 39.150861 Lon: -88.297556), Call Sign: WYJ971
Assigned Frequencies: 154.490 MHz
Grant Date: 01/12/2012, Expiration Date: 02/09/2022
Registrant: Pros Rf, 6160 Song Breeze Trace, Duluth, GA 30097, Phone: (270) 908-4402, Fax: (786) 549-7864, Email:
- 3546 E 1900th Ave (Lat: 39.129083 Lon: -88.306444), Type: Building, Structure height: 11.2 m, Overall height: 14.3 m, Call Sign: WQLR369
Assigned Frequencies: 462.012 MHz
Grant Date: 04/06/2010, Expiration Date: 04/06/2020, Certifier: David James
Registrant: Straightline, Ag Inc., 8990 West Us Route 36, Harristown, IL 62537, Phone: (217) 963-1270, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:
- STATION, Along Conrail Track 63ft E Of Int Us40 & Co Rd 2100e 3 Mi W (Lat: 39.149750 Lon: -88.416417), Overall height: 42.7 m, Call Sign: WNEF952
Assigned Frequencies: 6755.00 MHz, 6855.00 MHz
Grant Date: 08/11/1999, Expiration Date: 10/20/2009, Cancellation Date: 05/07/2007, Certifier: Rae A Greene
Registrant: Csx Transportation Inc., 6735 Southpoint Drive South, Jacksonville, FL 32216, Phone: (904) 332-5965, Fax: (904) 332-5963, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:
- Call Sign: N9XDL
Grant Date: 06/21/1994, Expiration Date: 06/21/2004, Cancellation Date: 06/22/2006
Registrant: Anthony J Stuckey, Rr 1 Box 153, Montrose, IL 62445
- Call Sign: WA9HLC, Licensee ID: L01317427
Grant Date: 08/23/2007, Expiration Date: 11/10/2017, Certifier: Robert D Harris
Registrant: Robert D Harris, 328 S Spring Creek Rd, Montrose, IL 62445
- Call Sign: KC9DHU, Licensee ID: L00647853
Grant Date: 03/03/2003, Expiration Date: 03/03/2013, Certifier: Brad J Horton
Registrant: Brad J Horton, 1523 E 2160th Ave, Montrose, IL 62445
- Call Sign: KC9DHV, Licensee ID: L00647854
Grant Date: 02/22/2013, Expiration Date: 03/03/2023, Certifier: Franklin L Fearington
Registrant: Franklin L Fearington, 3364 E 2160th Ave, Montrose, IL 62445-2110
- Call Sign: KC9DHW, Licensee ID: L00577756
Grant Date: 03/03/2003, Expiration Date: 03/03/2013, Certifier: James P Burgess
Registrant: James P Burgess, 3364 E 2160th Ave, Montrose, IL 62445
- Call Sign: KC9JIR, Licensee ID: L01142862
Grant Date: 04/20/2006, Expiration Date: 04/20/2016, Certifier: Calvin E Hamann
Registrant: Calvin E Hamann, 6296 E 1800th Ave, Montrose, IL 62445
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
|Most common first names in Montrose, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Montrose, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
- #9 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Printing and related support activities"
- #10 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Printing and related support activities"
- #23 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of likely lesbian couples (counted as self-reported female-female unmarried-partner households)"
- #24 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Truck transportation"
- #26 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Machinery, equipment, and supplies merchant wholesalers"
- #28 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)"
- #28 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most White Non-Hispanic residents"
- #33 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Protective service occupations:"
- #42 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most bridges per 100,000 population"
- #50 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Construction and extraction occupations:"
- #53 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most fire safe hotels and motels per 100,000 population"
- #88 on the list of "Top 100 least racially diverse cities"