Mound City, South Dakota
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the world
Population change since 2000: -20.2%
|Median resident age:||67.3 years|
|South Dakota median age:||36.9 years|
Zip code: 57646
Estimated per capita income in 2017: $20,886 (it was $12,387 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2017: $25,941 (it was $11,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2017: all housing units: $30,868; detached houses: $30,904
Median gross rent in 2017: $409.
- 7098.6%White alone
- 11.4%Two or more races
Latest news from Mound City, SD collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (86.3%), Hungarian (3.9%), Ukrainian (3.9%), Dutch (2.0%), Irish (2.0%), Russian (2.0%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1722 feet
Land area: 0.13 square miles.
Population density: 516 people per square mile(low).
4 residents are foreign born (5.6% North America).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2017: $241 (1.9%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2017: $461 (1.2%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Bismarck, ND (82.5 miles , pop. 55,532).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Minneapolis, MN (334.7 miles , pop. 382,618).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (673.6 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Latitude: 45.73 N, Longitude: 100.07 W
Area code: 605
Average climate in Mound City, South Dakota
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Mound City-area historical tornado activity is below South Dakota state average. It is 38% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/21/1983, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 12.3 miles away from the Mound City town center injured 4 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 6/20/1968, a category F3 tornado 15.4 miles away from the town center .
Earthquake activity:Mound City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below South Dakota state average. It is 65% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/18/1959 at 06:37:13, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 522.2 miles away from the city center, causing $26,000,000 total damage
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 109.4 miles away from the city center
On 10/18/1984 at 15:30:23, a magnitude 5.5 (5.4 MB, 5.1 MS, 5.5 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 357.3 miles away from the city center
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB) earthquake occurred 194.6 miles away from the city center
On 9/8/1984 at 00:59:31, a magnitude 5.1 (5.1 MB) earthquake occurred 304.5 miles away from Mound City center
On 5/29/1984 at 20:18:32, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 306.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Campbell County (11) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Storms: 5, Winter Storms: 4, Blizzard: 1, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tornado: 1 (Note: some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mound City:
- University of Mary (about 77 miles; Bismarck, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,854)
- Northern State University (about 80 miles; Aberdeen, SD; FT enrollment: 2,203)
- Bismarck State College (about 84 miles; Bismarck, ND; FT enrollment: 3,015)
- North Dakota State College of Science (about 171 miles; Wahpeton, ND; FT enrollment: 2,318)
- North Dakota State University-Main Campus (about 176 miles; Fargo, ND; FT enrollment: 12,680)
- Concordia College at Moorhead (about 177 miles; Moorhead, MN; FT enrollment: 2,767)
- Minnesota State University-Moorhead (about 177 miles; Moorhead, MN; FT enrollment: 6,096)
Points of interest:
Notable locations in Mound City: Campbell County Courthouse (A), Mound City Volunteer Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||1.8 people|
|South Dakota:||2.4 people|
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 2.5% of all households
For population 15 years and over in Mound City:
- Never married: 8.7%
- Now married: 76.1%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 6.8%
- Divorced: 8.5%
For population 25 years and over in Mound City:
- High school or higher: 84.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.8%
- Unemployed: 22.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.0 minutes
|South Dakota average:||10.1|
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Mound City, SD (based on Campbell County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|This county:||7.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|South Dakota:||2.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Campbell County:||7.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|South Dakota:||6.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||35.82 / 10,000 pop.|
|South Dakota:||9.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||3||$150|
|Streets and Highways||0||$0||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||2||$410|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||6||$700|
Strongest AM radio stations in Mound City:
- KOLY (1300 AM; 5 kW; MOBRIDGE, SD; Owner: JAMES RIVER BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KXMR (710 AM; 50 kW; BISMARCK, ND; Owner: RADIO BISMARCK MANDAN, LLC)
- KBMR (1130 AM; 10 kW; BISMARCK, ND; Owner: RADIO BISMARCK MANDAN, LLC)
- KFYR (550 AM; 5 kW; BISMARCK, ND; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WWNL (1080 AM; 50 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: STEEL CITY RADIO, INC.)
- KKAA (1560 AM; 10 kW; ABERDEEN, SD; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KGFX (1060 AM; 10 kW; PIERRE, SD; Owner: JAMES RIVER BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KSDN (930 AM; 5 kW; ABERDEEN, SD; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KBHB (810 AM; 25 kW; STURGIS, SD; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- KSJB (600 AM; 5 kW; JAMESTOWN, ND; Owner: CHESTERMAN COMM. JAMESTOWN, INC.)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- KPRM (870 AM; 25 kW; PARK RAPIDS, MN; Owner: DE LA HUNT BROADCASTING CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Mound City:
- KOLY-FM (99.5 FM; MOBRIDGE, SD; Owner: JAMES RIVER BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KQSD-FM (91.9 FM; LOWRY, SD; Owner: SOUTH DAKOTA BOARD OF DIRECTORS FOR ED. TELECOMMUNICATIONS)
- KMLO (100.7 FM; LOWRY, SD; Owner: JAMES RIVER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KLND (89.5 FM; LITTLE EAGLE, SD; Owner: SEVENTH GENERATION MEDIA SVCS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Mound City:
- KQSD-TV (Channel 11; LOWRY, SD; Owner: SOUTH DAKOTA BOARD OF DIRECTORS FOR ED. TELECOMMUNICATIONS)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 3ft / 0.8mTotal length
- 1,083Total average daily traffic
- 476Total average daily truck traffic
- 1,555Total future (year 2037) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: WB0ZZH, Licensee ID: L00256615, Grant Date: 11/29/2016, Expiration Date: 01/02/2027, Certifier: Charles W Davidson, Registrant: Charles W Davidson Mr, 202 2nd St Ne, Mound City, SD 57646
- Call Sign: KC0HWP, Licensee ID: L00234033, Grant Date: 04/29/2000, Expiration Date: 04/29/2010, Cancellation Date: 05/01/2012, Certifier: Kevin L Ackerman, Registrant: Kevin L Ackerman, Rr 1 Box 66, Mound City, SD 57646
Mound City compared to South Dakota state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2020.