|Median resident age:||32.1 years|
|Nevada median age:||35.0 years|
Zip code: 89834
Mountain City CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $71,513 (it was $52,400 in 2000)
- American Indian alone - 749 (51.9%)
- White alone - 435 (30.2%)
- Hispanic - 184 (12.8%)
- Black alone - 35 (2.4%)
- Two or more races - 32 (2.2%)
- Asian alone - 6 (0.4%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 1 (0.07%)
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Elevation: 5620 feet
Land area: 3856.4 square miles.
Population density: 0.4 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Mountain City:
- High school or higher: 74.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 14.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 14.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mountain City CCD:
- Never married: 24.7%
- Now married: 56.8%
- Separated: 6.6%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 10.5%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Mountain City CCD:||0.7% ($350)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Nampa, ID (133.0 miles , pop. 51,867).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Sacramento, CA (346.4 miles , pop. 407,018).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Los Angeles, CA (535.6 miles , pop. 3,694,820).
Nearest cities: Owyhee, NV (4.7 miles ), Western Shoshone, ID (5.3 miles ), Jarbidge, NV (6.7 miles) , Osino, NV (7.8 miles ), Paradise Valley, NV (8.0 miles) , Elko, NV (8.0 miles ), Carlin, NV (8.1 miles ), McDermitt, NV (8.4 miles ).
Latitude: 41.66 N, Longitude: 116.33 W
Area code: 775
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (45%)
- Public administration (15%)
- Construction (12%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Health care (7%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (4%)
- Truck transportation (3%)
- Educational services (19%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (18%)
- Public administration (17%)
- Health care (15%)
- Accommodation and food services (14%)
- Other direct selling establishments (4%)
- Social assistance (4%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (24%)
- Farmers and farm managers (16%)
- Carpenters (8%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (7%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (6%)
- Top executives (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (11%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (10%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (8%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Accountants and auditors (6%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (6%)
Average climate in Mountain City, Nevada
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Mountain City-area historical earthquake activity is below Nevada state average. It is 416% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/1915 at 06:52:48, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 100.9 miles away from the city center
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW) earthquake occurred 210.6 miles away from Mountain City center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 12/16/1954 at 11:07:12, a magnitude 7.0 (7.0 UK) earthquake occurred 191.6 miles away from the city center
On 12/21/1932 at 06:10:09, a magnitude 7.2 (7.2 UK) earthquake occurred 236.9 miles away from the city center
On 8/18/1959 at 06:37:13, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK) earthquake occurred 349.8 miles away from Mountain City center, causing $26,000,000 total damage
On 8/24/1954 at 05:51:30, a magnitude 6.8 (6.8 UK, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 181.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Elko County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 1
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 9, Snows: 2, Drought: 1, Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Airports located in Mountain City:
- Petan Ranch Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mountain City:
- College of Southern Idaho (about 115 miles; Twin Falls, ID; Full-time enrollment: 5,051)
- Northwest Nazarene University (about 133 miles; Nampa, ID; FT enrollment: 2,290)
- Boise State University (about 135 miles; Boise, ID; FT enrollment: 16,774)
- College of Western Idaho (about 136 miles; Nampa, ID; FT enrollment: 6,300)
- Treasure Valley Community College (about 167 miles; Ontario, OR; FT enrollment: 2,055)
- Idaho State University (about 217 miles; Pocatello, ID; FT enrollment: 10,350)
- Weber State University (about 230 miles; Ogden, UT; FT enrollment: 17,655)
Notable locations in Mountain City: Bieroth Ranch (A), Dexter Mill (B), Desert Ranch (C), Double Square Ranch (D), Ellison Ranch (E), Star Valley Cabin (F), Camp Divide (G), H Ireland Ranch (H), Roup Ranch (I), G Myers Ranch (J), Myers Ranch (K), Meyers Ranch (L), Bruneau Ranch (M), Columbia Ranch (N), Crosby Ranch (O), Doheny Ranch (P), Evans Ranch (Q), Devils Corral (R), Jose Ranch (S), Kunz Ranch (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: New Cemetery (1), Premo Cemetery (2), George Washington Cemetery (3), Chinatown Cemetery (4), Smith Cemetery (5), Midas Cemetery (6). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Mud Lake (A), Lake Creek Reservoir (B), Hot Lake (C), Winters Ranch Reservoir (D), Rubber Lake (E), Ross Lake (F), Jeannette Lake (G), Middle Draw Reservoir (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Snow Creek (A), Columbia Creek (B), Timber Gulch Creek (C), Maggie Gulch Creek (D), Corral Creek (E), Stump Creek (F), Duck Creek (G), Cowan Creek (H), Frazer Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Mountain City include: Wild Horse State Recreation Area (1), Humboldt State Game Refuge (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Drinking water stations with addresses in Mountain City and their reported violations in the past:MOUNTAIN CITY WATER AND SEWER (Population served: 30, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- One routine major monitoring violation
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
8 people in workers' group living quarters and job corps centers in 2010
People in group quarters in Mountain City in 2000:
- 161 people in short-term care, detention or diagnostic centers for delinquent children
- 61 people in job corps and vocational training facilities
- 30 people in agriculture workers' dormitories on farms
- 14 people in other nonhousehold living situations
Mountain City compared to Nevada state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (42%)
- Wood (24%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (23%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (10%)
- Other fuel (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Mountain City CCD (based on Elko County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 36.74%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||LDS (Mormon) Church||Southern Baptist Convention||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Lutheran Church|
|Name||Episcopal Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Assemblies of God||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Elko County:||2.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Nevada:||1.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|Elko County:||1.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|Nevada:||1.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|Elko County:||3.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.14 / 10,000 pop.|
7.27% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($43,692 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Washoe County, NV||0.56% ($43,388 average AGI)|
|from Clark County, NV||0.36% ($45,460)|
|from Salt Lake County, UT||0.26% ($31,935)|
7.50% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($43,831 average adjusted gross income)
0.10% of residents moved to foreign countries ($945 average AGI)
Elko County: 0.10% Nevada average: 0.09%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Mountain City:
- KBOI (670 AM; 50 kW; BOISE, ID; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KALL (700 AM; 50 kW; NORTH SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KWEI (1260 AM; 50 kW; WEISER, ID; Owner: TREASURE VALLEY BROADCASTING CO.)
- KBSU (730 AM; 15 kW; BOISE, ID; Owner: IDAHO STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- KKOH (780 AM; 50 kW; RENO, NV; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KIQN (1010 AM; 50 kW; TOOELE, UT)
- KSL (1160 AM; 50 kW; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
- KMJ (580 AM; 50 kW; FRESNO, CA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- KGEM (1140 AM; 10 kW; BOISE, ID; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- KCBC (770 AM; 50 kW; RIVERBANK, CA; Owner: KIERTRON, INC.)
- KIDO (580 AM; 5 kW; NAMPA, ID; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KBGN (1060 AM; daytime; 10 kW; CALDWELL, ID; Owner: NELSON M. AND KAREN E. WILSON)
- KPOJ (620 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
TV broadcast stations around Mountain City:
- K05JU (Channel 5; ELKO, NV; Owner: ELKO TELEVISION DISTRICT)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: KB7WQE
Grant Date: 08/24/1993, Expiration Date: 08/24/2003, Cancellation Date: 08/25/2005
Registrant: Faith A Strang, Mountain City, NV 89831
- Call Sign: N7APD, Licensee ID: L01113687
Grant Date: 02/03/2006, Expiration Date: 02/07/2016
Registrant: Larry R Otheim, Box 246, Mountain City, NV 89831
Mountain City on our top lists:
- #13 on the list of "Top 100 cities with largest land areas"
- #3 (89834) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Basque first ancestries"
- #2 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Bush (Republican) in the 2004 Presidential Election"
- #96 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for 3rd party candidates in the 2004 Presidential Election"