Mud Creek, Alabama
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||38.3 years|
|Alabama median age:||35.8 years|
Zip code: 35960
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $22,457 (it was $16,045 in 2000)
Mud Creek CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $102,071 (it was $65,100 in 2000)
Races in Mud Creek, AL (2000)
- 4,31292.1%White alone
- 2896.2%Black alone
- 290.6%Two or more races
- 110.2%American Indian alone
- 80.2%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Another look at gender equality in the U.S. Oct 27
- Online travel agencies generate most of their revenue in the United States Oct 25
- In Which States are Businesses Most Dependent on International Demand? Oct 22
- The most comfortable places to live in the U.S. Oct 21
- Fast food industry is an enduring American value Oct 19
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 400 feet
Land area: 143.6 square miles.
Population density: 33 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Mud Creek:
- High school or higher: 63.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.9%
- Unemployed: 2.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 35.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mud Creek CCD:
- Never married: 15.7%
- Now married: 68.0%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 7.4%
- Divorced: 8.9%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Mud Creek CCD:||0.3% ($199)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Marietta, GA (56.2 miles , pop. 58,748).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Atlanta, GA (67.3 miles , pop. 416,474).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (549.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Spring Garden, AL (2.9 miles ), Cave Spring, GA (3.2 miles ), Cedar Bluff, AL (3.3 miles ), Centre, AL (3.3 miles ), Piedmont, AL (3.6 miles ), Gaylesville, AL (3.6 miles) , Cedartown, GA (3.9 miles ), Leesburg, AL (4.0 miles ).
Latitude: 34.09 N, Longitude: 85.51 W
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (15%)
- Textile mills and textile products (10%)
- Metal and metal products (6%)
- Paper (5%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (4%)
- Textile mills and textile products (14%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Health care (12%)
- Food (9%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (3%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (12%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Registered nurses (7%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (5%)
- Customer service representatives (4%)
Average climate in Mud Creek, Alabama
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Mud Creek-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Alabama state average. It is 117% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/27/1994, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 6.8 miles away from the Mud Creek place center killed 22 people and injured 150 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 3/27/1994, a category F4 tornado 27.5 miles away from the place center killed 3 people and injured 20 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Mud Creek-area historical earthquake activity is near Alabama state average. It is 80% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 29.1 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 111.0 miles away from Mud Creek center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 173.8 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 147.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/24/1975 at 11:11:36, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB) earthquake occurred 136.3 miles away from Mud Creek center
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 229.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Cherokee County (17) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Tornadoes: 9, Storms: 7, Floods: 4, Hurricanes: 4, Winds: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Drought: 1, Fire: 1, Snowfall: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Mud Creek:
- CHEROKEE COMMUNITY HOSPICE (Hospital, about 10 miles away; CENTRE, AL)
- CHEROKEE MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 10 miles away; CENTRE, AL)
- CHEROKEE COUNTY HEALTH AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; CENTRE, AL)
- CHEROKEE HOME HEALTH (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; CENTRE, AL)
- PIEDMONT HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 14 miles away; PIEDMONT, AL)
- PIEDMONT HEALTH CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; PIEDMONT, AL)
- CEDARTOWN DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 16 miles away; CEDARTOWN, GA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mud Creek:
- Georgia Highlands College (about 19 miles; Rome, GA; Full-time enrollment: 4,071)
- Georgia Northwestern Technical College (about 22 miles; Rome, GA; FT enrollment: 4,629)
- Berry College (about 23 miles; Mount Berry, GA; FT enrollment: 2,102)
- Jacksonville State University (about 24 miles; Jacksonville, AL; FT enrollment: 7,566)
- Gadsden State Community College (about 29 miles; Gadsden, AL; FT enrollment: 4,650)
- West Georgia Technical College (about 34 miles; Waco, GA; FT enrollment: 4,768)
- Snead State Community College (about 39 miles; Boaz, AL; FT enrollment: 2,023)
Notable locations in Mud Creek: Rock Run Station (A), McCord Cross Roads Volunteer Fire Department (B), Spring Creek Volunteer Fire Department (C), Spring Garden Volunteer Fire Department (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Mud Creek include: Mount Zion Church (A), Providence Baptist Church (B), New Bethel Church (C), New Prospect Church (D), Lebanon Campground Church (E), Salem Church (F), Noah Baptist Church (G), Christian Mission Church (H), Bethel Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Howell Cemetery (1), Sheepskin Cemetery (2), Salem Cemetery (3), Providence Cemetery (4), Noah Cemetery (5), Lebanon Cemetery (6), Hopewell Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Blue Pond (A), La Garde Lake (B), Terrapin Creek Lake Number 17 (C), McGee Lake (D), Norton Lake (E), Arrington Lakes (F), Lagarde Number 1 Lake (G), Arrington Lake Number 1 (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Strickland Branch (A), Spring Creek (B), Sandy Creek (C), Sal Brown Branch (D), Sat Brown Branch (E), Mud Creek (F), Lumpkin Mill Creek (G), Locust Branch (H), Bulse Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 53.3. This is significantly better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 1.13. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 16.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 19.5. This is about average. Closest monitor was 16.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 9.40. This is about average. Closest monitor was 16.0 miles away from the city center.
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 0.00493. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 22.3 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Mud Creek CCD (based on Cherokee County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Cherokee County:||1.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||1.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Cherokee County:||5.71 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.71 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
5.45% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,560 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Etowah County, AL||0.81% ($34,828 average AGI)|
|from DeKalb County, AL||0.74% ($32,155)|
|from Floyd County, GA||0.63% ($31,900)|
5.20% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,927 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Mud Creek:
- WNSI (810 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: UNITED BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WKNG (1060 AM; daytime; 50 kW; TALLAPOOSA, GA; Owner: WKNG, INC.)
- WFTD (1080 AM; daytime; 50 kW; MARIETTA, GA; Owner: PRIETO ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WMLB (1160 AM; 50 kW; EAST POINT, GA; Owner: ATLANTA AREA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCNN (680 AM; 50 kW; NORTH ATLANTA, GA; Owner: DICKEY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WSB (750 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WFLI (1070 AM; 50 kW; LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: WFLI, INC.)
- WQRX (870 AM; daytime; 10 kW; VALLEY HEAD, AL; Owner: BARINOWSKI INVESTMENT COMPANY)
- WZTQ (1560 AM; daytime; 1 kW; CENTRE, AL; Owner: RADIO CENTRE, INC.)
- WAZX (1550 AM; 50 kW; SMYRNA, GA; Owner: GA-MEX BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WAAX (570 AM; 5 kW; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Mud Creek:
- WRHY (105.9 FM; CENTRE, AL; Owner: WILLIAMS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJCK (88.3 FM; PIEDMONT, AL; Owner: IMMANUEL BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- W215BA (90.9 FM; ROME, GA; Owner: PENSACOLA CHRISTIAN COLLEGE, INC.)
- WLJS-FM (91.9 FM; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: BD. OF TRUSTEES/JACKSONVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WKCX (97.7 FM; ROME, GA; Owner: BRIAR CREEK BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WQTU (102.3 FM; ROME, GA; Owner: MCDOUGALD BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W212AR (90.3 FM; LINDALE, GA; Owner: WAY-FM MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WTBJ (91.3 FM; OXFORD, AL; Owner: TRINITY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY)
- WQSB (105.1 FM; ALBERTVILLE, AL; Owner: SAND MOUNTAIN BROADCASTING SERVICE, INC.)
- WGMZ (93.1 FM; GLENCOE, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCKS (102.7 FM; FRUITHURST, AL; Owner: WCKS, INC.)
- WVOK-FM (97.9 FM; OXFORD, AL; Owner: WOODARD BROADCASTING CO. INC.)
- WATG (95.7 FM; TRION, GA; Owner: TTA BROADCASTING, INC)
- WMAX-FM (105.3 FM; BOWDON, GA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- W214AS (90.7 FM; WALESKA, GA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- W221AW (92.1 FM; NORTH CANTON, GA; Owner: IMMANUEL BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WTBB (89.9 FM; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: TRINITY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY)
- WSGN (91.5 FM; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: GADSDEN STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- WTSH-FM (107.1 FM; ROCKMART, GA; Owner: BROADCAST INVESTMENT ASSOCIATES, INC)
TV broadcast stations around Mud Creek:
- WPXH (Channel 44; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 13m43ftTotal length
- $4,326,000Total costs
- 8,237Total average daily traffic
- 952Total average daily truck traffic
- 10,840Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:11 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Mud Creek)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- BH1011-HANCEVILLE, 956 County Rd 574 (Lat: 34.075139 Lon: -86.811417), Type: Tower, Structure height: 77.7 m, Overall height: 79.2 m, Call Sign: WPZS444
Assigned Frequencies: 19430.0 MHzGrant Date: 04/29/2014, Expiration Date: 03/03/2024, Certifier: Dan MenserRegistrant: T-Mobile License LLC, 12920 Se38th St, Bellevue, WA 98006, Phone: (425) 383-8401, Email:
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (57%)
- Electricity (36%)
- Utility gas (4%)
- Wood (3%)
Mud Creek compared to Alabama state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Mud Creek on our top lists:
- #83 on the list of "Top 101 larger cities with the lowest real estate taxes percentage (population 50,000+)"
- #68 (35960) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of taxpayers using paid preparers for 2012 taxes (pop 5,000+)"