|Median resident age:||37.4 years|
|Ohio median age:||40.5 years|
Zip codes: 43144.
Murray City village income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $50,200 (it was $36,800 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $704.
- White alone - 439 (97.8%)
- Hispanic - 6 (1.3%)
- Two or more races - 3 (0.7%)
- Black alone - 1 (0.2%)
Latest news from Murray City, OH collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (17.6%), Irish (15.9%), United States (13.6%), English (8.4%), Dutch (6.5%), Polish (6.2%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 712 feet
Land area: 0.30 square miles.Population density: 1,486 people per square mile (low).
For population 25 years and over in Murray City:
- High school or higher: 93.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 5.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.2%
- Unemployed: 7.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 39.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Murray City village:
- Never married: 28.4%
- Now married: 47.8%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 7.7%
- Divorced: 15.2%
According to our research of Ohio and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Murray City, Ohio as of January 30, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Murray City to the number of sex offenders is 445 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $850 (1.5%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $494 (1.2%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Columbus, OH (55.0 miles , pop. 711,470).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (331.0 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Buchtel, OH (1.9 miles ), Carbon Hill, OH (2.1 miles ), Glouster, OH (2.1 miles ), Trimble, OH (2.2 miles ), Nelsonville, OH (2.2 miles ), Jacksonville, OH (2.3 miles ), Hemlock, OH (2.4 miles) , New Straitsville, OH (2.5 miles ).
Latitude: 39.51 N, Longitude: 82.17 W
Area code: 740
- Retail trade (26%)
- Construction (14%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (11%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Transportation and warehousing (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (38%)
- Educational services (23%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Public administration (15%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (3%)
- Other services, except public administration (3%)
- Construction (2%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (20%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Construction laborers (8%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (13%)
- Cashiers (10%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (10%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (7%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Food processing workers (6%)
Average climate in Murray City, Ohio
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Murray City-area historical tornado activity is below Ohio state average. It is 30% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/23/1968, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 47.8 miles away from the Murray City village center killed 7 people and injured 93 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/10/1973, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 29.6 miles away from the village center injured 8 people and caused between $500 and $5000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Murray City-area historical earthquake activity is near Ohio state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 131.6 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 165.6 miles away from Murray City center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 154.0 miles away from the city center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 132.1 miles away from the city center
On 7/12/1986 at 08:19:37, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB) earthquake occurred 136.7 miles away from Murray City center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 316.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Hocking County (9) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 6, Storms: 4, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tornado: 1, Tropical Depression: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Clifford Carlson - Basketball player-coach, Josh Devore - Major League baseball player.
Hospitals and medical centers near Murray City:
- BCS/HARTMAN ROAD HOME (Hospital, about 10 miles away; THE PLAINS, OH)
- HICKORY CREEK OF ATHENS (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; THE PLAINS, OH)
- KINDRED TRANSITIONAL CARE AND REHAB-LOGAN (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; LOGAN, OH)
- ECHOING MEADOWS RESIDENTIAL CENTER (Hospital, about 13 miles away; ATHENS, OH)
- BCS/HOCKING VALLEY HOME (Hospital, about 13 miles away; LOGAN, OH)
- O'BLENESS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 13 miles away; ATHENS, OH)
- ATHENS CAMPUS (Hospital, about 13 miles away; ATHENS, OH)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Murray City:
- Hocking College (about 6 miles; Nelsonville, OH; Full-time enrollment: 4,146)
- Ohio University-Main Campus (about 14 miles; Athens, OH; FT enrollment: 26,181)
- Zane State College (about 32 miles; Zanesville, OH; FT enrollment: 2,200)
- Ohio Christian University (about 41 miles; Circleville, OH; FT enrollment: 2,345)
- Muskingum University (about 41 miles; New Concord, OH; FT enrollment: 2,073)
- West Virginia University at Parkersburg (about 41 miles; Parkersburg, WV; FT enrollment: 2,619)
- Ohio State University-Newark Campus (about 42 miles; Newark, OH; FT enrollment: 2,028)
Notable location: Murray City Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Murray City Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 33.8. This is significantly better than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2009 was 0.439. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 14.2 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2011 was 3.41. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 14.2 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2011 was 4.34. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 13.9 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2011 was 28.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 11.3 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2003 was 20.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 14.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.72. This is about average. Closest monitor was 14.5 miles away from the city center.
(15.8% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for other race residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This village:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.6% of all households
Murray City compared to Ohio state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (73%)
- Electricity (23%)
- Wood (3%)
Religion statistics for Murray City village (based on Hocking County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 24.89%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Southern Baptist Convention||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ|
|Name||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Church of the Nazarene||Lutheran Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Hocking County:||2.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Ohio:||1.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hocking County:||1.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Ohio:||1.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hocking County:||2.42 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||1||$150|
|Police Protection - Officers||0||$0||1||$172|
|Streets and Highways||1||$2,670||$32,040||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||1||$2,670||$32,040||6||$1,072|
Murray City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Financial Administration: $27,000 ($60.67)
Police Protection: $26,000 ($58.43)
Regular Highways: $20,000 ($44.94)
Water Utilities: $19,000 ($42.70)
- General - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
- Other Capital Outlay - Water Utilities: $59,000 ($132.58)
General - Other: $7,000 ($15.73)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $44,000 ($98.88)
Murray City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $3,000 ($6.74)
Interest Earnings: $1,000 ($2.25)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $62,000 ($139.33)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $19,000 ($42.70)
General Support: $17,000 ($38.20)
- Tax - Property: $23,000 ($51.69)
NEC: $12,000 ($26.97)
Murray City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $4,000 ($8.99)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $2,000 ($4.49)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $2,000 ($4.49)
Murray City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $28,000 ($62.92)
5.83% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($31,364 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Fairfield County, OH||1.40% ($30,520 average AGI)|
|from Franklin County, OH||0.95% ($38,420)|
|from Athens County, OH||0.78% ($29,122)|
6.20% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($25,758 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Murray City:
- WTVN (610 AM; 50 kW; COLUMBUS, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WAIS (770 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BUCHTEL, OH; Owner: NELSONVILLE TV CABLE, INC.)
- WRFD (880 AM; daytime; 23 kW; COLUMBUS-WORTHINGTON, OH; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF OHIO, INC.)
- WATH (970 AM; 1 kW; ATHENS, OH)
- WWVA (1170 AM; 53 kW; WHEELING, WV; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WLGN (1510 AM; daytime; 1 kW; LOGAN, OH; Owner: ROGER L. HINERMAN d/b/a LOGAN BROADCASTING)
- WOUB (1340 AM; 1 kW; ATHENS, OH; Owner: OHIO UNIVERSITY)
- WBGS (1030 AM; daytime; 10 kW; POINT PLEASANT, WV; Owner: BIG RIVER RADIO, INC.)
- WBRJ (910 AM; 5 kW; MARIETTA, OH; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKNR (850 AM; 50 kW; CLEVELAND, OH; Owner: CARON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WADC (1050 AM; 5 kW; PARKERSBURG, WV; Owner: BURBACH OF DE, LLC)
- WMPO (1390 AM; 5 kW; MIDDLEPORT-POMEROY, OH; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC. OF OHIO)
Strongest FM radio stations in Murray City:
- WSEO (107.7 FM; NELSONVILLE, OH; Owner: NELSONVILLE TV CABLE, INC.)
- WOUB-FM (91.3 FM; ATHENS, OH; Owner: OHIO UNIVERSITY)
- W211BT (90.1 FM; ATHENS, OH; Owner: THE CEDARVILLE UNIVERSITY)
- WJAW-FM (100.9 FM; MCCONNELSVILLE, OH; Owner: QUIET RADIO INC. D/B/A WJAW RADIO)
- WWJM (106.3 FM; NEW LEXINGTON, OH; Owner: PERRY COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WXTQ (105.5 FM; ATHENS, OH; Owner: WATH, INC.)
- WCVZ (92.7 FM; SOUTH ZANESVILLE, OH; Owner: CHRISTIAN VOICE OF CENTRAL OHIO, INC)
- WLGN-FM (98.3 FM; LOGAN, OH; Owner: ROGER L. HINERMAN d/b/a LOGAN BROADCASTING)
- WHOK-FM (95.5 FM; LANCASTER, OH; Owner: INFINITY RADIO SUBSIDIARY OPERATIONS INC.)
- WYBZ (107.3 FM; CROOKSVILLE, OH; Owner: Y BRIDGE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WJKW (95.9 FM; ATHENS, OH; Owner: CHRISTIAN FAITH BROADCAST, INC.)
- WFCB (93.3 FM; CHILLICOTHE, OH; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHIZ-FM (102.5 FM; ZANESVILLE, OH; Owner: SOUTHEASTERN OHIO BROADCASTING SYSTEM, INC.)
- WJZA (103.5 FM; LANCASTER, OH; Owner: SKYWAY BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WLRY (88.5 FM; RUSHVILLE, OH; Owner: ARCANGEL BROADCASTING FOUNDATION)
TV broadcast stations around Murray City:
- WOUB-TV (Channel 20; ATHENS, OH; Owner: OHIO UNIVERSITY)
- WHIZ-TV (Channel 18; ZANESVILLE, OH; Owner: SOUTHEASTERN OHIO TELEVISION SYSTEM)
Total length: 3 meters (10ft)
Total average daily traffic: 2,979
Total average daily truck traffic: 110
Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic: 4,135
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: W8WBR
Grant Date: 04/13/1999, Expiration Date: 04/13/2009, Cancellation Date: 04/14/2011
Registrant: Eugene F Six, Box 115 Orchard Alley, Murray City, OH 43144
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 4
|Most common first names in Murray City, OH among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Murray City, OH among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|