Ness City, Kansas
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||49.7 years|
|Kansas median age:||36.0 years|
Zip codes: 67560.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $25,715 (it was $18,481 in 2000)
Ness City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $69,598 (it was $44,200 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $83,642; Detached houses: $88,674; Mobile homes: $9,182
Median gross rent in 2013: $569.
Races in Ness City, KS (2010)
- 1,30590.1%White alone
- 80.6%Two or more races
- 30.2%Black alone
- 20.1%American Indian alone
- 20.1%Asian alone
|Non-KC Area Kansans Perspectives (41 replies)|
|Anyone else bored with West Kansas? (46 replies)|
|Passing through Kansas this summer - where to overnight? (20 replies)|
|Kansas pictures (223 replies)|
Latest news from Ness City, KS collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (50.5%), English (9.4%), Irish (9.3%), United States (4.0%), Welsh (2.5%), French (2.4%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 2251 feet
Land area: 1.03 square miles.
Population density: 1,401 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Ness City:
- High school or higher: 92.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.3%
- Unemployed: 2.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 12.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ness City city:
- Never married: 19.9%
- Now married: 61.2%
- Separated: 0.3%
- Widowed: 10.1%
- Divorced: 8.5%
21 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Kansas and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Ness City, Kansas as of July 30, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Ness City to the number of sex offenders is 359 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $1,179 (1.5%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $820 (1.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Wichita, KS (149.6 miles , pop. 344,284).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (428.4 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Bazine, KS (3.4 miles ), Ransom, KS (3.6 miles ), Brownell, KS (3.9 miles) , Alexander, KS (4.4 miles) , Utica, KS (4.4 miles ), McCracken, KS (4.5 miles ), Hanston, KS (5.0 miles ), Jetmore, KS (5.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $137,500
- 2000: 3 buildings, average cost: $45,200
- 2001: 2 buildings, average cost: $130,000
- 2002: 1 building, cost: $10,000
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $65,000
- 2004: 1 building, cost: $145,000
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $145,000
- 2008: 2 buildings, average cost: $300,000
- 2012: 2 buildings, average cost: $100,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 38.45 N, Longitude: 99.91 W
Area code: 785
Unemployment by year (%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (23%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Construction (12%)
- Other services, except public administration (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (8%)
- Finance and insurance (8%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (35%)
- Public administration (15%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Other services, except public administration (4%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (22%)
- Sales and related occupations (14%)
- Management occupations (11%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (9%)
- Transportation occupations (8%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (5%)
- Legal occupations (5%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (39%)
- Healthcare support occupations (12%)
- Sales and related occupations (9%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (7%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (6%)
- Management occupations (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
Average climate in Ness City, Kansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Ness City-area historical tornado activity is near Kansas state average. It is 81% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/30/1972, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 16.2 miles away from the Ness City city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/30/1972, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.5 miles away from the city center caused between $500 and $5000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Ness City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Kansas state average. It is 50% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/15/1974 at 13:33:49, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 141.8 miles away from the city center
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 286.4 miles away from Ness City center
On 9/15/1995 at 00:31:33, a magnitude 4.1 (3.8 LG, 4.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 128.1 miles away from the city center
On 10/18/1984 at 15:30:23, a magnitude 5.5 (5.4 MB, 5.1 MS, 5.5 ML) earthquake occurred 403.9 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML) earthquake occurred 378.1 miles away from Ness City center
On 5/30/1991 at 22:07:44, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 58.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Ness County (9) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Storms: 5, Tornadoes: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Hurricane: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Ness City:
Airports located in Ness City:
- Ness City Municipal Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 1,000, Local Ops: 3,000)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ness City:
- Fort Hays State University (about 43 miles; Hays, KS; Full-time enrollment: 8,728)
- Barton County Community College (about 64 miles; Great Bend, KS; FT enrollment: 4,108)
- Hutchinson Community College (about 112 miles; Hutchinson, KS; FT enrollment: 4,174)
- Newman University (about 148 miles; Wichita, KS; FT enrollment: 2,066)
- Friends University (about 149 miles; Wichita, KS; FT enrollment: 2,024)
- Wichita Technical Institute (about 149 miles; Wichita, KS; FT enrollment: 2,015)
- Wichita State University (about 151 miles; Wichita, KS; FT enrollment: 11,743)
Public high school in Ness City:
- Ness City High School (Students: 138; Location: 200 N 5TH; Grades: 7-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Ness City:
- Ness City Elementary School (Students: 155; Location: 500 E CHESTNUT; Grades: PK-8)
Private elementary/middle school in Ness City:
Notable locations in Ness City: Ness County Fairgrounds (A), D E Bondurant Grain Company Grain Elevator Number 1 (B), Ness County Sheriff's Department (C), Ness County Courthouse (D), Ness City Fire Department (E), Ness County Ambulance Service (F), Ness County Health Department (G), Ness City Public Library (H), Ness County Historical Society (I), Ness City Town Hall (J). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Ness City include: Ness City Assembly of God Church (A), Ness City United Methodist Church (B), First Baptist Church (C), Our Redeemer Lutheran Church (D), Sacred Heart Catholic Church (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Sacred Heart Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attractions: Ness County Bank Building (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 102 West Main Street), Prairie Mercantile (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 102 West Main Street), Larry's Tours (Tours & Charters; 117 East Sycamore Street).
Hotel: Derrick Inn Motel - Club- Restaurant (East Highway 96).
Courts: Ness County - Clerk of District Court (Courthouse), Ness-County - Court Services (105 South Pennsylvania Avenue).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 69.3. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 0.673. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 23.3 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 34.6. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.3 miles away from the city center.
(9.8% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 100.0% for Black residents, 5.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
|This city:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
3 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities in 2010
43 people in nursing homes in 2000
3 people in religious group quarters in 2000
Ness City compared to Kansas state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Banks with branches in Ness City (2011 data):
- The First State Bank: at 206 N. Pennsylvania Ave., branch established on 1916/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $65.1 mil, Deposits: $55.5 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 1 total offices, Holding Company: Beutler, Inc.
- Community Bank of the Midwest: Community Bank Of The Midwest - Ness at 114 West Main Street, branch established on 2011/04/19. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $130.5 mil, Deposits: $120.4 mil, headquarters in Great Bend, KS, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Midwest Community Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (85%)
- Electricity (12%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
- Wood (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Ness City city (based on Ness County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Ness County:||6.69 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kansas:||1.96 / 10,000 pop.|
|Ness County:||10.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||20.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.33 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||6||$296|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||2||$1,849|
|Streets and Highways||2||$6,556||$39,336||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||8||$21,323||$31,985||9||$2,232|
Ness City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - General: $28,000 ($19.49)
Water Utilities: $20,000 ($13.92)
Sewerage: $17,000 ($11.83)
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $150,000 ($104.38)
Water Utilities: $138,000 ($96.03)
Solid Waste Management: $103,000 ($71.68)
Police Protection: $100,000 ($69.59)
Financial Administration: $86,000 ($59.85)
General - Other: $79,000 ($54.98)
Sewerage: $55,000 ($38.27)
Libraries: $35,000 ($24.36)
Parks & Recreation: $28,000 ($19.49)
Fire Protection: $6,000 ($4.18)
Air Transportation: $3,000 ($2.09)
- General - Interest on Debt: $7,000 ($4.87)
- Other Capital Outlay - General - Other: $15,000 ($10.44)
Parks & Recreation: $11,000 ($7.65)
Financial Administration: $2,000 ($1.39)
Regular Highways: $1,000 ($0.70)
Sewerage: $1,000 ($0.70)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $213,000 ($148.23)
Ness City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $98,000 ($68.20)
Sewerage: $52,000 ($36.19)
Parks & Recreation: $8,000 ($5.57)
All Other: $2,000 ($1.39)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $42,000 ($29.23)
Special Assessments: $31,000 ($21.57)
General Revenue, NEC: $27,000 ($18.79)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $276,000 ($192.07)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $52,000 ($36.19)
General Support: $29,000 ($20.18)
All Other: $2,000 ($1.39)
- Tax - Property: $351,000 ($244.26)
Public Utilities: $104,000 ($72.37)
NEC: $2,000 ($1.39)
Ness City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $145,000 ($100.90)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $115,000 ($80.03)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $30,000 ($20.88)
Ness City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $885,000 ($615.87)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $14,000 ($9.74)
5.01% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($13,547 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
4.56% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($35,241 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Strongest AM radio stations in Ness City:
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KGYN (1210 AM; 50 kW; GUYMON, OK; Owner: TELNS BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KGNO (1370 AM; 5 kW; DODGE CITY, KS; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KVGB (1590 AM; 5 kW; GREAT BEND, KS; Owner: EAGLE RADIO INC.)
- KXXX (790 AM; 5 kW; COLBY, KS; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KMXA (1090 AM; 50 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Ness City:
- K225AF (92.9 FM; NESS CITY, KS; Owner: KANZA SOCIETY, INC.)
Ness City fatal accident list:
Aug 15, 1978 03:10 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Nov 6, 1977 05:30 PM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 4m13ftTotal length
- $299,000Total costs
- 5,170Total average daily traffic
- 545Total average daily truck traffic
- 5,712Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:7
- Call Sign: KB0SGS
Grant Date: 04/27/1995, Expiration Date: 04/27/2005, Cancellation Date: 04/28/2007
Registrant: Vernon K Burditt, 912 W Main, Ness City, KS 67560
- Call Sign: KE0GS, Licensee ID: L01118772
Grant Date: 02/17/2006, Expiration Date: 03/28/2016
Registrant: Kenneth H Brackney, 503 Johnson St, Ness City, KS 67560
- Call Sign: N0WNN, Licensee ID: L00653405
Grant Date: 04/11/2013, Expiration Date: 05/04/2023, Certifier: Corie L Burditt
Registrant: Corie L Burditt, 912 W Main, Ness City, KS 67560
- Call Sign: N0WWH, Licensee ID: L00642354
Grant Date: 02/20/2003, Expiration Date: 05/18/2013
Registrant: Lemuel E Burditt, 601 E Sycamore, Ness City, KS 67560
- Call Sign: WA0THN, Licensee ID: L00411866
Grant Date: 04/02/2013, Expiration Date: 05/04/2023
Registrant: Thomas E Mc Coy, Ness City, KS 67560
- Call Sign: WA0ULX, Licensee ID: L00456914
Grant Date: 05/03/2013, Expiration Date: 07/27/2023, Certifier: Loman D Reile
Registrant: Loman D Reile, 17832 State Highway 96, Ness City, KS 67560
- Call Sign: WB0ZTA, Licensee ID: L00677032
Grant Date: 05/10/2013, Expiration Date: 07/27/2023, Certifier: Vernon K Burditt
Registrant: Vernon K Burditt, 912 W Main, Ness City, KS 67560
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 22
|Most common first names in Ness City, KS among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Ness City, KS among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Businesses in Ness City, KS
- MasterBrand Cabinets: 1
Ness City on our top lists:
- #32 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest average wind speeds"
- #100 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Mining"
- #89 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003"