New Albion, New York
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||42.9 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 14719.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $22,204 (it was $15,841 in 2000)
New Albion town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $79,958 (it was $55,500 in 2000)
Races in New Albion, NY (2010)
- 1,90996.8%White alone
- 180.9%American Indian alone
- 120.6%Two or more races
- 70.4%Black alone
- 20.1%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- How Does the Presence of a Major Employer Affect Crime Rates? Feb 10
- Prosper default rate decreased in 2014 Feb 8
- How important is peer-to-peer loan diversification? Feb 6
- Where Do the Young and Old People Live, and How Has That Changed Over the Years? Feb 4
- Reasons for getting a Lending Club loan Feb 2
Latest news from New Albion, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (42.0%), English (18.5%), Irish (14.6%), Polish (7.2%), United States (6.3%), French (4.9%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 36.3 square miles.
Population density: 54 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in New Albion:
- High school or higher: 81.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.0%
- Unemployed: 5.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in New Albion town:
- Never married: 21.9%
- Now married: 58.6%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 7.1%
- Divorced: 10.7%
25 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|New Albion town:||3.0% ($1,652)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Buffalo, NY (40.9 miles , pop. 292,648).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (251.6 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Cattaraugus, NY (1.1 miles ), Otto, NY (2.4 miles ), Little Valley, NY (2.4 miles ), Mansfield, NY (2.4 miles ), Napoli, NY (2.6 miles ), Leon, NY (2.6 miles ), East Otto, NY (2.9 miles ), Conewango, NY (3.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $180,000
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $45,000
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $60,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.31 N, Longitude: 78.87 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 716
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Metal and metal products (6%)
- Machinery (6%)
- Repair and maintenance (4%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Educational services (20%)
- Health care (18%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (3%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (4%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (4%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (9%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Health technologists and technicians (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
Average climate in New Albion, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
New Albion-area historical tornado activity is slightly above New York state average. It is 53% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/2/1983, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 10.7 miles away from the New Albion town center killed 2 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1985, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 33.9 miles away from the town center .
Earthquake activity:New Albion-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above New York state average. It is 86% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 96.9 miles away from the city center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 127.6 miles away from New Albion center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 255.2 miles away from the city center
On 1/26/2001 at 03:03:20, a magnitude 4.4 (3.9 MB, 4.4 LG, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 102.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 299.4 miles away from New Albion center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 201.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Cattaraugus County (19) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 8
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 10, Floods: 8, Snowstorms: 3, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Power Outage: 1, Snow: 1, Tornado: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near New Albion:
- GOWANDA REHABILITATION AND NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; GOWANDA, NY)
- TLC HEALTH NETWORK Acute Care Hospitals (about 12 miles away; GOWANDA, NY)
- ABSOLUT CTR FOR NURSING AND REHAB SALAMANCA L L C (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; SALAMANCA, NY)
- SALAMANCA DISTRICT HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 15 miles away; SALAMANCA, NY)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to New Albion:
- Jamestown Community College (about 23 miles; Jamestown, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,384)
- SUNY at Fredonia (about 26 miles; Fredonia, NY; FT enrollment: 5,523)
- St Bonaventure University (about 26 miles; Saint Bonaventure, NY; FT enrollment: 2,286)
- Bryant & Stratton College-Online (about 34 miles; Orchard Park, NY; FT enrollment: 2,212)
- Erie Community College (about 40 miles; Buffalo, NY; FT enrollment: 11,035)
- D'Youville College (about 41 miles; Buffalo, NY; FT enrollment: 2,398)
- Canisius College (about 43 miles; Buffalo, NY; FT enrollment: 4,376)
Notable locations in New Albion: Sinn Valley Gardens (A), Champlain Corners (B), Cattaraugus Camp (C), Cattaraugus Free Library (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in New Albion include: Wesleyan Church of Cattaraugus (A), Saint John's United Church of Christ (B), Roberts Memorial Free Methodist Church (C), Saint Mary's Church (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Snyder Hill Cemetery (1), Rumsey Cemetery (2), Lower New Albion Cemetery (3), Liberty Park Cemetery (4), Tug Hill Cemetery (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lake: Linlyco Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
|This town:||2.5 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
4 people in homes for the mentally retarded in 2000
3 people in religious group quarters in 2000
New Albion compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New York average:||14.2|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (64%)
- Wood (13%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (13%)
- Electricity (5%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (4%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for New Albion town (based on Cattaraugus County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Cattaraugus County:||2.62 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Cattaraugus County:||1.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Cattaraugus County:||3.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
4.18% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,141 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Erie County, NY||1.02% ($34,748 average AGI)|
|from Allegany County, NY||0.49% ($24,633)|
|from Chautauqua County, NY||0.44% ($28,489)|
5.04% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,902 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
0.03% of residents moved to foreign countries ($838 average AGI)
Cattaraugus County: 0.03% New York average: 0.11%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in New Albion:
- WWKB (1520 AM; 50 kW; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
- WGGO (1590 AM; 5 kW; SALAMANCA, NY; Owner: CATT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WGR (550 AM; 5 kW; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
- WHAM (1180 AM; 50 kW; ROCHESTER, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WNED (970 AM; 5 kW; BUFFALO, NY)
- WHLD (1270 AM; 5 kW; NIAGARA FALLS, NY; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSPQ (1330 AM; 1 kW; SPRINGVILLE, NY; Owner: HAWK COMMUNICATIONS, LTD.)
- WTOR (770 AM; daytime; 9 kW; YOUNGSTOWN, NY; Owner: BIRACH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KDKA (1020 AM; 50 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WNAE (1310 AM; 5 kW; WARREN, PA; Owner: KINZUA BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WBEN (930 AM; 5 kW; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
- WXRL (1300 AM; 5 kW; LANCASTER, NY; Owner: DOME BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WKNR (850 AM; 50 kW; CLEVELAND, OH; Owner: CARON BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in New Albion:
- WTSS (102.5 FM; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
- WNJA (89.7 FM; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: WESTERN NEW YORK PUBLIC B/CING ASSOC)
- WQRT (98.3 FM; SALAMANCA, NY; Owner: CATT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WNED-FM (94.5 FM; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: WESTERN NEW YORK PUBLIC B/C ASSOC.)
- WDCX (99.5 FM; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WCOT (90.9 FM; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WBUF (92.9 FM; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WBKX (96.5 FM; FREDONIA, NY; Owner: CHADWICK BAY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WPIG (95.7 FM; OLEAN, NY; Owner: ARROW COMMUNICATIONS OF N.Y., INC.)
- WWSE (93.3 FM; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: MEDIA ONE GROUP, LLC)
- WOLN (91.3 FM; OLEAN, NY; Owner: STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK)
- WUBJ (88.1 FM; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK)
- WKZA (106.9 FM; LAKEWOOD, NY; Owner: CROSS COUNTRY COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WBRR (100.1 FM; BRADFORD, PA; Owner: RADIO STATION WESB, INC.)
- WNSA (107.7 FM; WETHERSFIELD TWNSHP, NY; Owner: ADELPHIA COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION, DEBTOR-IN-POSSESSION)
- W205BA (88.9 FM; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WQRM (106.3 FM; SMETHPORT, PA; Owner: FARM & HOME BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WFBF (89.9 FM; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WQFX-FM (103.1 FM; RUSSELL, PA; Owner: SOUTHBRIDGE RADIO CORPORATION)
- WMHU (101.9 FM; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: VOX ALLEGANY, L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around New Albion:
- WNGS (Channel 67; SPRINGVILLE, NY; Owner: CAROLINE K. POWLEY D/B/A UNICORN/SPRINGVILLE)
- WNYB (Channel 26; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: FAITH BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WKBW-TV (Channel 7; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: WKBW-TV LICENSE, INC.)
- WIVB-TV (Channel 4; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: WIVB BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WGRZ-TV (Channel 2; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: MULTIMEDIA ENTERTAINMENT, INC.)
- WNYO-TV (Channel 49; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: NEW YORK TELEVISION, INC.)
- W46BA (Channel 46; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: WESTERN NEW YORK PUBLIC B/CING.ASSN.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 14Number of bridges
- 19m62ftTotal length
- $11,922,000Total costs
- 11,530Total average daily traffic
- 1,030Total average daily truck traffic
- 15,983Total future (year 2024) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics