New Canada, Maine
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||41.3 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04743.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $24,029 (it was $15,415 in 2000)
New Canada town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $122,147 (it was $72,200 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $125,039; Detached houses: $133,261; Townhouses or other attached units: $227,405; In 2-unit structures: $202,827; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $29,654; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $218,247; Mobile homes: $46,901; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $121,366
Races in New Canada, ME (2010)
- 30394.4%White alone
- 113.4%Two or more races
- 10.3%American Indian alone
Ancestries: French (53.9%), French Canadian (33.3%), United States (5.6%), English (4.6%), Irish (2.0%), Swedish (1.3%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/26/1976
Land area: 35.8 square miles.
Population density: 9.0 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in New Canada:
- High school or higher: 88.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 20.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.0%
- Unemployed: 3.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in New Canada town:
- Never married: 18.0%
- Now married: 65.7%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 7.1%
- Divorced: 9.2%
18 residents are foreign born (5.9% North America).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|New Canada town:||1.0% ($729)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (258.3 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (359.7 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (513.1 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Wallagrass, ME (2.4 miles ), Fort Kent, ME (2.4 miles ), St. Agatha, ME (3.0 miles ), Frenchville, ME (3.0 miles ), Eagle Lake, ME (3.1 miles ), Madawaska, ME (3.8 miles ), St. Francis, ME (4.1 miles ), Grand Isle, ME (4.4 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 9 buildings, average cost: $91,700
- 1998: 2 buildings, average cost: $60,000
- 1999: 5 buildings, average cost: $40,000
- 2000: 2 buildings, average cost: $75,000
- 2001: 1 building, cost: $100,000
- 2002: 2 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2003: 1 building, cost: $100,000
- 2005: 2 buildings, average cost: $94,500
- 2006: 2 buildings, average cost: $125,000
- 2007: 1 building, cost: $125,000
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $125,000
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $190,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $200,000
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $200,000
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $200,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 47.19 N, Longitude: 68.51 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (25%)
- Wood products (10%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (10%)
- Health care (9%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Repair and maintenance (6%)
- Health care (40%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Social assistance (8%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (6%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (4%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (15%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Operations specialties managers except financial managers (6%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (6%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Registered nurses (11%)
- Child care workers (11%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (7%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (7%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
Average climate in New Canada, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:New Canada-area historical earthquake activity is below Maine state average. It is 95% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 20.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 312.8 miles away from New Canada center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 360.2 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 197.5 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 296.1 miles away from New Canada center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 131.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Aroostook County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to New Canada:
- University of Maine (about 159 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 164 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 192 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 207 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 252 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 259 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 259 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
Cemetery: Holy Family Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: California Pond (A), First Lake (B), Second Lake (C), Sly Brook Lakes (D), Third Lake (E), Daigle Pond (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Fall Brook (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2008 was 50.6. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 22.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 14.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 9.44. This is about average. Closest monitor was 14.5 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.8 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.9% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for New Canada town (based on Aroostook County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Aroostook County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||7.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
3.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,766 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,181 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.08% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.46% ($28,764 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.20% ($23,132)|
|from Hartford County, CT||0.09% ($34,920)|
3.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,623 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($830 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.11% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in New Canada:
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WEGP (1390 AM; 5 kW; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: DECELLES/SMITH MEDIA, INC.)
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in New Canada:
- WMEF (106.5 FM; FORT KENT, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP)
- WCXX (102.3 FM; MADAWASKA, ME; Owner: THE CANXUS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBPW (96.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WUFK (92.1 FM; FORT KENT, ME; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MAINE SYSTEM)
- W276AY (103.1 FM; FORT KENT, ME; Owner: CANXUS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around New Canada:
- W17BN (Channel 17; MADAWASKA, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KB1ZCT, Licensee ID: L01755900, Grant Date: 12/28/2012, Expiration Date: 12/28/2022, Certifier: Lee J Daigle, Registrant: Lee J Daigle, 1817 Caribou Road, New Canada, ME 04743
Drinking water stations with addresses in New Canada and their reported violations in the past:THE HIDEAWAY (Population served: 141, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In NOV-2011, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (DEC-09-2011), St Formal NOV issued (DEC-09-2011), St Public Notif received (JUN-21-2012), St Compliance achieved (FEB-14-2013), St Public Notif received (OCT-07-2013)
- Monitoring, Repeat Major (TCR) - In DEC-2011, Contaminant: Coliform (TCR). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JAN-31-2012), St Formal NOV issued (JAN-31-2012), St Public Notif received (FEB-28-2012), St Compliance achieved (FEB-14-2013)
- 4 routine major monitoring violations
- One regular monitoring violation
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 3
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (70%)
- Wood (30%)
New Canada compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.