New Diggings, Wisconsin
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||43.5 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 53807.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $23,852 (it was $17,122 in 2000)
New Diggings town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $125,503 (it was $84,400 in 2000)
Races in New Diggings, WI (2010)
- 48797.0%White alone
- 51.0%Asian alone
- 40.8%American Indian alone
- 10.2%Two or more races
Latest news from New Diggings, WI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (44.8%), English (22.8%), Irish (13.1%), United States (10.8%), Norwegian (3.0%), French (2.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 800 feet
Land area: 25.3 square miles.
Population density: 20 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in New Diggings:
- High school or higher: 82.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.7%
- Unemployed: 1.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 30.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in New Diggings town:
- Never married: 20.8%
- Now married: 65.9%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 6.8%
- Divorced: 6.5%
12 residents are foreign born (1.3% Asia, 0.8% Oceania, 0.4% Europe).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|New Diggings town:||1.2% ($1,006)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Dubuque, IA (18.5 miles , pop. 57,686).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Madison, WI (59.2 miles , pop. 208,054).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (144.9 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Benton, WI (1.6 miles ), White Oak Springs, WI (1.9 miles) , Shullsburg, WI (2.3 miles ), Hazel Green, WI (2.4 miles ), Cuba City, WI (2.4 miles ), Scales Mound, IL (2.7 miles ), Elk Grove, WI (2.7 miles ), Smelser, WI (3.1 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $800,000
- 2014: 2 buildings, average cost: $177,500
Latitude: 42.56 N, Longitude: 90.33 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 608
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (20%)
- Construction (13%)
- Metal and metal products (11%)
- Repair and maintenance (7%)
- Food (6%)
- Transportation equipment (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Health care (15%)
- Food (8%)
- Electrical equipment, appliances, and components (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Electronic shopping and mail-order houses (6%)
- Farmers and farm managers (18%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (16%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Carpenters (5%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (8%)
- Customer service representatives (7%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Accountants and auditors (5%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
Average climate in New Diggings, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
New Diggings-area historical tornado activity is above Wisconsin state average. It is 64% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/7/1984, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 33.3 miles away from the New Diggings town center killed 9 people and injured 200 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 5/8/1988, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 5.4 miles away from the town center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:New Diggings-area historical earthquake activity is above Wisconsin state average. It is 86% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 312.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 106.1 miles away from New Diggings center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 289.0 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 344.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 311.5 miles away from New Diggings center
On 4/3/1974 at 23:05:02, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG) earthquake occurred 298.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Lafayette County (11) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 8, Storms: 8, Tornadoes: 5, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Fred Smith (1900s pitcher) - Baseball player.
Hospitals and medical centers near New Diggings:
- SOUTHWEST HEALTH CENTER (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; CUBA CITY, WI)
- ST DOMINIC VILLA (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; HAZEL GREEN, WI)
- GALENA STAUSS HOSPITAL SNU (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; GALENA, IL)
- GALENA STAUSS NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; GALENA, IL)
- LAFAYETTE MANOR (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; DARLINGTON, WI)
- LAFAYETTE CTY NUR AGCY (Home Health Center, about 14 miles away; DARLINGTON, WI)
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL OF LAFAYETTE COUNTY (Dialysis Facility, about 14 miles away; DARLINGTON, WI)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to New Diggings:
- University of Wisconsin-Platteville (about 15 miles; Platteville, WI; Full-time enrollment: 7,679)
- Ashford University (about 50 miles; Clinton, IA; FT enrollment: 73,330)
- Edgewood College (about 58 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 2,455)
- University of Wisconsin Colleges (about 59 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 10,019)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (about 59 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 34,621)
- Madison Area Technical College (about 64 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 9,603)
- Herzing University-Madison (about 67 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 3,160)
Notable location: Twin Ridge Farm (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in New Diggings: Lead Mine Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Shawnee Cemetery (1), Masonic Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Kelsey Branch (A), Ellis Branch (B), Madden Branch (C), Shullsburg Branch (D), Diggins Creek (E), Spring Branch (F), Blacks Creek (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 46.7. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 8.81. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.6 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for New Diggings town (based on Lafayette County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Lafayette County:||2.53 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Lafayette County:||7.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||12.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
5.12% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,725 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Grant County, WI||0.88% ($29,583 average AGI)|
|from Green County, WI||0.82% ($21,268)|
|from Dane County, WI||0.60% ($45,049)|
5.75% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,416 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in New Diggings:
- KDTH (1370 AM; 5 kW; DUBUQUE, IA; Owner: RADIO DUBUQUE, INC.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WISN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPVL (1590 AM; 1 kW; PLATTEVILLE, WI; Owner: QUEENB RADIO WISCONSIN, INC.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WMVP (1000 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WTSO (1070 AM; 10 kW; MADISON, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- WYLL (1160 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in New Diggings:
- KATF (92.9 FM; DUBUQUE, IA; Owner: RADIO DUBUQUE, INC.)
- WJOD (103.3 FM; ASBURY, IA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WDBQ-FM (107.5 FM; GALENA, IL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- K254AE (98.7 FM; DUBUQUE, IA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN IOWA)
- WVRE (101.1 FM; DICKEYVILLE, WI; Owner: RADIO DUBUQUE, INC.)
- KXGE (102.3 FM; DUBUQUE, IA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KIYX (106.1 FM; SAGEVILLE, IA; Owner: QUEENB RADIO WISCONSIN, INC.)
- WPVL-FM (107.1 FM; PLATTEVILLE, WI; Owner: QUEENB RADIO WISCONSIN, INC.)
- K269EK (101.7 FM; DUBUQUE, IA; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA)
- WGLR-FM (97.7 FM; LANCASTER, WI; Owner: QUEENB RADIO WISCONSIN, INC.)
- KLYV (105.3 FM; DUBUQUE, IA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WDMP-FM (99.3 FM; DODGEVILLE, WI; Owner: DODGE POINT BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WJTY (88.1 FM; LANCASTER, WI; Owner: JOY PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WEKZ-FM (93.7 FM; MONROE, WI; Owner: RONALD M.SPIELMAN & SCOTT THOMPSON)
- WCCI (100.3 FM; SAVANNA, IL; Owner: CARROLL COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- K239AB (95.7 FM; DUBUQUE, IA; Owner: AUGUSTANA COLLEGE)
- KGRR (97.3 FM; EPWORTH, IA; Owner: RADIO DUBUQUE, INC.)
- WSUP (90.5 FM; PLATTEVILLE, WI; Owner: BOARD OF REGENTS, UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN SYSTEM)
TV broadcast stations around New Diggings:
- KFXB (Channel 40; DUBUQUE, IA; Owner: DUBUQUE TV LTD. PARTNERSHIP)
- WISC-TV (Channel 3; MADISON, WI; Owner: TELEVISION WISCONSIN, INC.)
- WMSN-TV (Channel 47; MADISON, WI; Owner: WMSN LICENSEE, LLC)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 19Number of bridges
- 47m154ftTotal length
- $933,000Total costs
- 8,705Total average daily traffic
- 198Total average daily truck traffic
- 11,648Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (42%)
- Wood (28%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (20%)
- Electricity (6%)
- Utility gas (4%)
New Diggings compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.