|Median resident age:||48.9 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04961.
New Portland town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $107,352 (it was $66,700 in 2000)
- White alone - 703 (97.9%)
- Two or more races - 7 (1.0%)
- American Indian alone - 4 (0.6%)
- Hispanic - 2 (0.3%)
- Black alone - 1 (0.1%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.1%)
|Maine Long Term Rail / Transit plans and Proposals (68 replies)|
|I think this is controversial... (38 replies)|
|great hiking in Maine (51 replies)|
|Cribbage (39 replies)|
|What's going on in your town this summah? (10 replies)|
Latest news from New Portland, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (24.2%), French (13.6%), Irish (12.6%), United States (11.2%), German (9.4%), French Canadian (7.8%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/09/1808
Elevation: 500 feet
Land area: 43.4 square miles.
Population density: 17 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in New Portland:
- High school or higher: 88.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.5%
- Unemployed: 5.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in New Portland town:
- Never married: 23.4%
- Now married: 57.7%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 6.4%
- Divorced: 11.2%
24 residents are foreign born (1.7% North America, 1.4% Europe).
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in New Portland, Maine as of May 06, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in New Portland to the number of sex offenders is 255 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|New Portland town:||1.1% ($762)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (87.1 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (186.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (341.1 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Kingfield, ME (2.5 miles ), Embden, ME (2.5 miles ), New Vineyard, ME (2.9 miles ), Strong, ME (3.1 miles ), Industry, ME (3.4 miles ), Anson, ME (3.4 miles ), Madison, ME (3.6 miles ), Solon, ME (3.6 miles ).
Latitude: 44.92 N, Longitude: 70.07 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (20%)
- Wood products (12%)
- Repair and maintenance (8%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Truck transportation (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Wood products (15%)
- Health care (12%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Finance and insurance (3%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (12%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (8%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (6%)
- Cashiers (4%)
- Child care workers (4%)
Average climate in New Portland, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:New Portland-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 181.7 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 221.2 miles away from New Portland center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 123.9 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 102.7 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 40.6 miles away from New Portland center
On 1/17/2000 at 08:16:20, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, 3.4 LG, Depth: 10.1 mi) earthquake occurred 30.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Somerset County (22) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 12, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Hurricanes: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Abram Williams - Politician.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to New Portland:
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 18 miles; Farmington, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 43 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Husson University (about 64 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine (about 69 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 79 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 88 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 89 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
Public elementary/middle school in New Portland:
- Central Elementary School (Students: 57; Location: 352 SCHOOL ST PO BOX 208; Grades: K-5)
Notable locations in New Portland: Great Works (A), New Portland Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Gammon Pond (A), Lemon Stream (B), Pennell Pond (C), Gilman Stream Reservoir (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Lemon Stream (A), Meadow Brook (B), Taylor Brook (C), Dyer Brook (D), Gilman Stream (E), Luce Brook (F), Clarks Brook (G), Harris Brook (H), Indian Stream (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
New Portland compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (61%)
- Wood (34%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (5%)
- Electricity (1%)
Religion statistics for New Portland town (based on Somerset County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 29.86%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Church of the Nazarene||National Association of Congregational Christian Churches|
|Name||Assemblies of God||Seventh-Day Adventist Church||United Church of Christ||LDS (Mormon) Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Somerset County:||2.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Somerset County:||2.71 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Somerset County:||9.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.56% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,526 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Kennebec County, ME||1.67% ($27,240 average AGI)|
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.89% ($23,204)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.22% ($25,475)|
5.99% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,088 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in New Portland:
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGAN (560 AM; 5 kW; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in New Portland:
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WIGY (97.5 FM; MADISON, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLOB-FM (96.3 FM; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHQO (107.9 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WTBM (100.7 FM; MEXICO, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WKTJ-FM (99.3 FM; FARMINGTON, ME; Owner: FRANKLIN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WWWA (95.3 FM; WINSLOW, ME; Owner: LIGHT OF LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WCTB (93.5 FM; FAIRFIELD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around New Portland:
- W21BI (Channel 21; FARMINGTON, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
New Portland fatal accident list:
Nov 5, 2005 11:35 AM, Sr-16, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Oct 16, 1999 03:00 PM, Sr-27, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Oct 10, 1989 03:45 PM, 1366, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Total length: 29 meters (95ft)
Total costs: $4,779,000
Total average daily traffic: 11,030
Total average daily truck traffic: 965
Total future (year 2027) average daily traffic: 15,927
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- Before 1900: 1
- 1900-1909: 0
- 1910-1919: 0
- 1920-1929: 5
- 1930-1939: 1
- 1940-1949: 0
- 1950-1959: 2
- 1960-1969: 0
- 1970-1979: 0
- 1980-1989: 0
- 1990-1999: 1
- 2000-2009: 1
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: K1VEQ, Licensee ID: L01241060
Grant Date: 01/31/2007, Expiration Date: 04/04/2017, Certifier: Robert G Kennedy
Registrant: Robert G Kennedy, New Portland, ME 04954
- Call Sign: N1ULY, Licensee ID: L00830449
Grant Date: 05/19/2005, Expiration Date: 05/19/2015, Certifier: Lloyd C Dalton
Registrant: Lloyd C Dalton, 40 Bog Road, New Portland, ME 04961
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: PIPER PA-12 (Category: Land, Seats: 3, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 82 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-235 SERIES (115 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 3511M , Serial Number: 12-2093, Year manufactured: 1947, Airworthiness Date: 05/14/1956
Registrant (Individual): Gary Cobb, Po Box 124, New Portland, ME 04961
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
- Hazardous Condition: 1