We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||48.5 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05871.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $27,518 (it was $18,035 in 2000)
Newark town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $153,150 (it was $78,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $211,832; Detached houses: $227,566; Townhouses or other attached units: $254,945; In 2-unit structures: $223,496; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $214,295; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $159,740; Mobile homes: $87,573
Races in Newark, VT (2010)
- 57098.1%White alone
- 91.5%Two or more races
- 20.3%American Indian alone
Ancestries: English (22.8%), Irish (17.0%), French (11.7%), United States (9.4%), Swedish (5.1%), Scottish (4.9%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 36.8 square miles.
Population density: 16 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Newark:
- High school or higher: 79.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 25.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.2%
- Unemployed: 9.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 32.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Newark town:
- Never married: 22.3%
- Now married: 54.2%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 6.1%
- Divorced: 17.3%
10 residents are foreign born (2.1% Europe).
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Newark, Vermont as of December 18, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Newark to the number of sex offenders is 291 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Newark town:||1.5% ($1,188)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (109.7 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (170.1 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (284.1 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: West Burke, VT (2.1 miles ), Sutton, VT (2.3 miles ), Westmore, VT (2.4 miles ), East Haven, VT (2.4 miles ), Burke, VT (2.5 miles ), East Burke, VT (2.8 miles) , Brighton, VT (2.9 miles ), Island Pond, VT (2.9 miles ).
Latitude: 44.70 N, Longitude: 71.94 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (14%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (13%)
- Metal and metal products (11%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Repair and maintenance (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Educational services (31%)
- Health care (12%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Construction (7%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Furniture and home furnishing merchant wholesalers (4%)
- Repair and maintenance (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (10%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Carpenters (5%)
- Construction laborers (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (11%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (8%)
- Secondary school teachers (8%)
- Art and design workers (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Woodworkers (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (4%)
Average climate in Newark, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Newark-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Vermont state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 88.7 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 129.5 miles away from Newark center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 84.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 87.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 28.8 miles away from Newark center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 46.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Caledonia County (22) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 21
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 18, Storms: 15, Heavy Rains: 2, Tropical Storms: 2, Winds: 2, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Tornado: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Newark:
- Norwich University (about 53 miles; Northfield, VT; Full-time enrollment: 4,221)
- Saint Michael's College (about 62 miles; Colchester, VT; FT enrollment: 2,336)
- Community College of Vermont (about 63 miles; Winooski, VT; FT enrollment: 3,394)
- University of Vermont (about 64 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 11,566)
- Champlain College (about 65 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 2,623)
- Plymouth State University (about 67 miles; Plymouth, NH; FT enrollment: 4,838)
- Dartmouth College (about 72 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
Public elementary/middle school in Newark:
- NEWARK SCHOOL (Students: 44, Location: 1448 NEWARK STREET, Grades: PK-8)
Notable locations in Newark: Bald Hill Hatchery (A), Newark Street (B), Newark Volunteer Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Howard Family Cemetery (1), Packer Cemetery (2), Pleasant View Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Center Pond (A), Beck Pond (B), Sawdust Pond (C), Walker Pond (D), Newark Pond (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Sleeper Brook (A), La Pawac Brook (B), Bean Brook (C), Whetstone Brook (D), Howard Brook (E), Jack Brook (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2002 was 23.4. This is significantly better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2002 was 1.47. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 22.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 18.4. This is about average. Closest monitor was 22.2 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 1.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Newark town (based on Caledonia County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Caledonia County:||4.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Caledonia County:||2.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Caledonia County:||7.53 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
4.82% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,711 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Orleans County, VT||0.56% ($30,029 average AGI)|
|from Washington County, VT||0.44% ($37,611)|
|from Grafton County, NH||0.31% ($41,868)|
5.63% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,803 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Newark:
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WDEV (550 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WTWN (1100 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELLS RIVER, VT; Owner: PUFFER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WSTJ (1340 AM; 1 kW; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WVMT (620 AM; 5 kW; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: SISON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Newark:
- WGMT (97.7 FM; LYNDON, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- W243AE (96.5 FM; ORLEANS, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WLKC (103.3 FM; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WVPS (107.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WEZF (92.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMTK (106.3 FM; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WDOT (95.7 FM; DANVILLE, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING INC)
- WCKJ (90.5 FM; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WKXH (105.5 FM; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WXXS (102.3 FM; LANCASTER, NH; Owner: BARRY P. LUNDERVILLE)
- WNCS (104.7 FM; MONTPELIER, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMOO (92.1 FM; DERBY CENTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSTAR MEDIA, INC.)
- WVFM (105.7 FM; CAMPTON, NH; Owner: DEVON BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WLTN-FM (96.7 FM; LISBON, NH; Owner: PROFILE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Newark:
- WLED-TV (Channel 49; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- WVTB (Channel 20; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: VERMONT ETV, INC.)
- W36CP (Channel 36; NEWPORT, VT; Owner: NYN, LLC)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 7m23ftTotal length
- 5,100Total average daily traffic
- 446Total average daily truck traffic
- 7,140Total future (year 2018) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Lat: 44.690056 Lon: -71.950639, Call Sign: WQPX241
Assigned Frequencies: 159.555 MHz, 159.780 MHzGrant Date: 09/06/2012, Expiration Date: 09/06/2022, Certifier: Mary Ann RiggleRegistrant: Cara Enterprises Inc, Las Vegas, NV 89140-0124, Phone: (702) 838-9728, Fax: (702) 363-4607, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KB1DDH, Licensee ID: L00928320, Grant Date: 08/26/2008, Expiration Date: 08/13/2018, Certifier: David Edwards Jr, Registrant: David Edwards Jr, 238 Marylyn Lane, Newark, VT 05871
Drinking water stations with addresses in Newark and their reported violations in the past:NEWARK SCHOOL (Address: 1448 NEWARK ST , Population served: 75, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In OCT-2013, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Tech Assistance Visit (OCT-11-2013), St Formal NOV issued (OCT-11-2013), St Public Notif requested (OCT-11-2013), St Boil Water Order (OCT-11-2013), St Compliance achieved (OCT-28-2013)
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In OCT-01-2006, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (DEC-04-2006), St Formal NOV issued (DEC-04-2006), St Public Notif received (DEC-13-2006), St Compliance achieved (MAR-17-2011)
- One routine major monitoring violation
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 8
- Hazardous Condition: 2
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Newark
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (40%)
- Wood (32%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (23%)
- Coal or coke (4%)
- Electricity (1%)
Newark compared to Vermont state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.