North Hilo, Hawaii
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||40.4 years|
|Hawaii median age:||36.2 years|
Zip code: 96780
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $20,473 (it was $14,955 in 2000)
North Hilo CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $256,458 (it was $124,000 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $390,843; Detached houses: $385,008; Townhouses or other attached units: $768,007; In 2-unit structures: $466,288; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $320,813; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $389,038; Mobile homes: $411,396; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $56,267
Races in North Hilo, HI (2000)
- 57833.6%Asian alone
- 45326.3%White alone
- 42224.5%Two or more races
- 915.3%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
- 80.5%American Indian alone
- 30.2%Black alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing sector in the West is dominated by one company Aug 17
- What matters more when it comes to moving between states: weather or taxes? Aug 15
- How your income level affects your health Aug 13
- A few numbers about alcohol consumption Aug 11
- High-paid finance jobs are moving outside of large cities Aug 9
Current Local Time: HST (no DST) time zone
Land area: 322.4 square miles.
Population density: 6.2 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in North Hilo:
- High school or higher: 77.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.0%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 36.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in North Hilo CCD:
- Never married: 34.3%
- Now married: 52.7%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 7.1%
- Divorced: 5.9%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|North Hilo CCD:||0.2% ($209)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Honolulu, HI (193.0 miles , pop. 371,657).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Los Angeles, CA (2455.2 miles , pop. 3,694,820).
Nearest cities: Laupahoehoe, HI (1.7 miles ), Wailea, HI (2.8 miles ), Honomu, HI (2.9 miles ), Papaikou-Wailea, HI (3.2 miles ), Pepeekeo, HI (3.3 miles ), Paauilo, HI (3.4 miles ), Paauhau-Paauilo, HI (3.4 miles ), Papaikou, HI (3.6 miles ).
Latitude: 19.94 N, Longitude: 155.23 W
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (21%)
- Accommodation and food services (16%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (9%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Educational services (21%)
- Accommodation and food services (15%)
- Health care (14%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (8%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Construction (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (14%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Other protective service workers including supervisors (6%)
- Painters and paperhangers (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (10%)
- Registered nurses (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Accountants and auditors (6%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (4%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (4%)
Average climate in North Hilo, Hawaii
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:North Hilo-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Hawaii state average. It is 60% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/29/1975 at 14:47:40, a magnitude 7.2 (6.0 MB, 7.1 MS, 7.2 UK, 7.2 MS, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 36.2 miles away from the city center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths)
On 8/21/1951 at 10:57:00, a magnitude 6.9 (6.9 UK, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 52.1 miles away from North Hilo center
On 11/16/1983 at 16:13:00, a magnitude 6.7 (6.4 MB, 6.7 MS, 6.7 MW) earthquake occurred 36.3 miles away from the city center, causing $6,000,000 total damage
On 10/15/2006 at 17:07:49, a magnitude 6.7 (6.2 MB, 6.6 MS, 6.7 MW, Depth: 24.2 mi) earthquake occurred 50.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/26/1973 at 20:26:28, a magnitude 6.3 (6.0 MB, 6.1 MS, 6.3 UK, 6.2 ML) earthquake occurred 7.6 miles away from North Hilo center
On 6/26/1989 at 03:27:03, a magnitude 6.2 (5.8 MB, 6.1 MS, 6.2 MS, 6.2 MD) earthquake occurred 36.8 miles away from the city center, destroying 5 buildings
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Hawaii County (18) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 7, Earthquakes: 3, Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Lava Flows: 2, Volcanic Eruptions: 2, High Surf: 1, Hurricane: 1, Mudslide: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Tsunami Wave: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to North Hilo:
- University of Hawaii at Hilo (about 20 miles; Hilo, HI; Full-time enrollment: 3,161)
- Hawaii Community College (about 20 miles; Hilo, HI; FT enrollment: 2,137)
- University of Hawaii Maui College (about 105 miles; Kahului, HI; FT enrollment: 2,492)
- Kapiolani Community College (about 191 miles; Honolulu, HI; FT enrollment: 5,069)
- Chaminade University of Honolulu (about 192 miles; Honolulu, HI; FT enrollment: 2,610)
- University of Hawaii at Manoa (about 192 miles; Honolulu, HI; FT enrollment: 16,461)
- Hawaii Pacific University (about 195 miles; Honolulu, HI; FT enrollment: 5,506)
Notable locations in North Hilo: Keawewai Cabin (A), Waiākea Camp (B), Keanakolu Ranger Station (C), Kanakaleonui Ranger Station (D), Laumai‘a (E), Kanakaleonui Cabin (F), Spring Water Camp (G), Nauhi Camp (H), Kahinahina Forest Cabin (I), Humu‘ula Sheep Station (J), Shack Camp (K), Hale Pohaku Ranger Station (L), Ookala Landing (M), Laupāhoehoe Public and School Library (N), Laupahoehoe Volunteer Fire Station 17A (O), Hawaii County Fire Department Station 17 Laupahoehoe (P). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in North Hilo: Saint Anthonys Catholic Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Saint Anthonys Catholic Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lake: Paeoopu Pool (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Makahiloa Stream (A), Pa‘iniu Stream (B), Umauma Stream (C), Paeohe Stream (D), Peleau Stream (E), Wa‘awa‘a Stream (F), Maulua Stream (G), Kapili Stream (H), Kaoheanu Stream (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in North Hilo include: Mauna Kea State Park - Halepōhaku Area (1), Ookala Park (2), Waikaumalo Park (3), Doctor David Douglas Historical Monument (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 67.8. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 2.86. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 17.3 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 7.12. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 17.3 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.8 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.7% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for North Hilo CCD (based on Hawaii County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Hawaii County:||2.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hawaii:||2.30 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hawaii County:||1.97 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hawaii:||1.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hawaii County:||2.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||9.00 / 10,000 pop.|
4.72% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($37,873 average adjusted gross income)
0.06% of residents moved from foreign countries ($341 average AGI)
Hawaii County: 0.06% Hawaii average: 0.31%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Honolulu County, HI||0.93% ($35,267 average AGI)|
|from Maui County, HI||0.20% ($32,969)|
|from Los Angeles County, CA||0.15% ($39,598)|
4.46% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,270 average adjusted gross income)
0.10% of residents moved to foreign countries ($655 average AGI)
Hawaii County: 0.10% Hawaii average: 0.28%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in North Hilo:
- KIPA (620 AM; 10 kW; NAALEHU, HI; Owner: BIG ISLAND RADIO)
- KPUA (670 AM; 10 kW; HILO, HI; Owner: NEW WEST BROADCASTING CORP.)
- KHLO (850 AM; 5 kW; HILO, HI; Owner: MAVERICK MEDIA OF HAWAII LICENSE, LLC)
- KHBC (1060 AM; 5 kW; HILO, HI; Owner: HILO BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- KUAU (1570 AM; 50 kW; HAIKU, HI; Owner: FIRST ASSEMBLY OF GOD-KAHULUI, MAUI)
- KAIM (870 AM; 50 kW; HONOLULU, HI; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF HAWAII, INC.)
- KKON (790 AM; 5 kW; KEALAKEKUA, HI; Owner: BIG ISLAND RADIO ( HAWAII LIMITED PA)
- KMVI (550 AM; 5 kW; WAILUKU, HI; Owner: PACIFIC RADIO GROUP,INC.)
- KNUI (900 AM; 5 kW; KAHULUI, HI; Owner: PACIFIC RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- KAOI (1110 AM; 5 kW; KIHEI, HI; Owner: VISIONARY RELATED ENTERTAINMENT, INC)
- KORL (690 AM; 10 kW; HONOLULU, HI; Owner: NEW WAVE BROADCASTING, L.P.)
- KGU (760 AM; 10 kW; HONOLULU, HI; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF HAWAII, INC.)
- KHNR (650 AM; 10 kW; HONOLULU, HI; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF HAWAII, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in North Hilo:
- KNUQ (103.7 FM; PAAUILO, HI; Owner: VISIONARY RELATED ENTERTAINMENT II,)
- KAGB (99.1 FM; WAIMEA, HI; Owner: BIG ISLAND RADIO)
- KLUA (93.9 FM; KAILUA KONA, HI; Owner: BIG ISLAND RADIO)
- KAOY (101.5 FM; KEALAKEKUA, HI; Owner: BIG ISLAND RADIO ( HAWAII LIMITED PA)
- KLEO (106.1 FM; KAHALUU, HI; Owner: MAVERICK MEDIA OF HAWAII LICENSE, LLC)
- KKUA (90.7 FM; WAILUKU, HI; Owner: HAWAII PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- KWYI (106.9 FM; KAWAIHAE, HI; Owner: COLIN H. NAITO)
- KCIF (90.3 FM; HILO, HI; Owner: HILO CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING CORP.)
TV broadcast stations around North Hilo:
- KGMD-TV (Channel 9; HILO, HI; Owner: EMMIS TELEVISION LICENSE CORPORATION)
- K67BA (Channel 67; HAKALAU, HI; Owner: HAWAII PUBLIC TELEVISION FOUNDATION)
- KWHH (Channel 14; HILO, HI; Owner: LESEA BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KHAW-TV (Channel 11; HILO, HI; Owner: EMMIS TELEVISION LICENSE CORPORATION)
- KHVO (Channel 13; HILO, HI; Owner: KITV HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC. (CA CORP.))
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1
- Saddle Road Site Addle Road Humuula Relay Station (Lat: 19.718639 Lon: -155.453611), Type: Pole, Structure height: 24.4 m, Overall height: 30.2 m, Call Sign: KNKN222
Assigned Frequencies: 880.020 MHz, 880.020 MHz, 880.020 MHz, 835.020 MHz, 835.020 MHz, 835.020 MHz, 891.510 MHz, 891.510 MHz, 891.510 MHz, 846.510 MHz, 846.510 MHz, 846.510 MHzGrant Date: 11/25/2008, Expiration Date: 11/27/2018, Certifier: John T Scott IiiRegistrant: Verizon Wireless, 1120 Sanctuary Pkwy, #150 Gasa5reg, Alpharetta, GA 30009-7630, Phone: (770) 797-1070, Fax: (770) 797-1036, Email:
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (48%)
- No fuel used (35%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (12%)
- Wood (4%)
- Solar energy (2%)
North Hilo compared to Hawaii state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
North Hilo on our top lists:
- #11 on the list of "Top 101 larger cities with the lowest real estate taxes percentage (population 50,000+)"
- #52 (96780) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Irish first ancestries"
- #97 (96780) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Portuguese first ancestries"
- #1 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Sulfur Oxides Annual air pollution readings in 2012 (µg/m3)"
- #27 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest average weight of females"
- #50 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents that exercised in the past month"
- #59 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Obama (Democrat) in the 2012 Presidential Election"
- #61 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the most Other congregations (pop. 50,000+)"