We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||55.2 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip code: 04654
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $33,720 (it was $23,048 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $161,324 (it was $104,200 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $142,292; Detached houses: $160,778; Townhouses or other attached units: $105,888; In 2-unit structures: $184,307; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $317,416; Mobile homes: $52,385; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $22,467
Races in Northfield, ME (2010)
- 14698.6%White alone
- 21.4%Black alone
Latest news from Northfield, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (28.2%), Irish (13.0%), German (10.7%), French (3.8%), French Canadian (3.1%), Scottish (3.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/21/1838
Elevation: 265 feet
Land area: 43.7 square miles.
Population density: 3.4 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Northfield:
- High school or higher: 95.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 29.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 18.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 18.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Northfield town:
- Never married: 17.0%
- Now married: 58.9%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 16.1%
2 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Northfield town:||0.6% ($580)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (154.5 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (246.0 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (420.4 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Wesley, ME (2.5 miles) , Whitneyville, ME (2.9 miles ), Marshfield, ME (2.9 miles ), Centerville, ME (3.0 miles) , Machias, ME (3.3 miles ), East Machias, ME (3.4 miles ), Jonesboro, ME (3.4 miles ), Crawford, ME (3.5 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 4 buildings, average cost: $25,000
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $118,000
- 2001: 1 building, cost: $118,000
- 2002: 2 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2003: 5 buildings, average cost: $75,000
- 2004: 5 buildings, average cost: $75,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 44.83 N, Longitude: 67.61 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (16%)
- Health care (16%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (14%)
- Broadcasting and telecommunications (14%)
- Petroleum and petroleum products merchant wholesalers (7%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (7%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Health care (29%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Sporting goods, camera, and hobby and toy stores (9%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (14%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (12%)
- Registered nurses (12%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (12%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (7%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (7%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (7%)
- Cashiers (15%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (12%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (12%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (12%)
- Social scientists and related workers (9%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (9%)
- Registered nurses (9%)
Average climate in Northfield, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Northfield-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 42.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 301.5 miles away from Northfield center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 218.4 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 338.2 miles away from the city center
On 9/16/1994 at 07:01:54, a magnitude 3.6 (3.5 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 43.4 miles away from Northfield center
On 9/25/2005 at 03:08:57, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 LG, 3.4 LG, Depth: 4.2 mi) earthquake occurred 23.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Washington County (18) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 9, Snows: 4, Winds: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Northfield:
- University of Maine (about 53 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 59 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 114 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 126 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 154 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 155 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 159 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
Lakes: Bog Lake (A), Fulton Lake (B), Horseshoe Lake (C), Long Lake (D), Pug Heath (E), Pug Lake (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Soddy Meadow Brook (A), Joe Meadow Brook (B), Holmes Brook (C), Palmer Brook (D), Old Stream (E), Bryant Brook (F), Bog Stream (G), New Stream (H), Bear Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 54.3. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 31.6. This is about average. Closest monitor was 13.9 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.0 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Northfield compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (60%)
- Wood (32%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (8%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Northfield town (based on Washington County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Washington County:||4.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||1.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||9.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
4.44% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($46,571 average adjusted gross income)
0.14% of residents moved from foreign countries ($798 average AGI)
Washington County: 0.14% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.56% ($25,985 average AGI)|
|from Hancock County, ME||0.38% ($33,364)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.29% ($38,176)|
4.37% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,225 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Northfield:
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WDEA (1370 AM; 5 kW; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Northfield:
- WALZ-FM (95.3 FM; MACHIAS, ME; Owner: WILLIAM MCVICAR & ROGER HOLST, GEN. PARTNERSHIP)
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WNSX (97.7 FM; WINTER HARBOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMED (89.7 FM; CALAIS, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCRQ (102.9 FM; DENNYSVILLE, ME; Owner: WQDY, INC.)
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBQI (107.7 FM; BAR HARBOR, ME; Owner: MARINER BROADCASTING, L.P.)
TV broadcast stations around Northfield:
- W21BH (Channel 21; MACHIAS, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 1m3ftTotal length
- 532Total average daily traffic
- 42Total average daily truck traffic
- 798Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: KB1IKI, Licensee ID: L00523779
Grant Date: 03/27/2012, Expiration Date: 05/29/2022, Certifier: Christopher S Skinner
Registrant: Christopher S Skinner, 6 Holway Drive, Northfield, ME 04654
- Call Sign: KB1IMW, Licensee ID: L00534026
Grant Date: 04/09/2012, Expiration Date: 06/18/2022, Certifier: Susan M Chessa
Registrant: Susan M Chessa, 6 Holway Drive, Northfield, ME 04654