We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||54.8 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05907.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $24,830 (it was $15,506 in 2000)
Norton town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $121,146 (it was $67,700 in 2000)
Races in Norton, VT (2010)
- 16798.8%White alone
- 10.6%Two or more races
|Unexpected job offer in Vermont (28 replies)|
|Vermont Weather (3227 replies)|
|Advice Needed: Same-Sex Couple in NEK (25 replies)|
|Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, French Bakeries and IKEA (43 replies)|
|Northeast Kingdom- This local has some questions about visiting. (1 reply)|
|SEVERE WEATHER possible this evening!! (56 replies)|
Latest news from Norton, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (11.7%), English (6.5%), French Canadian (6.1%), German (4.7%), Irish (4.2%), Swiss (1.9%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1260 feet
Land area: 39.1 square miles.
Population density: 4.3 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Norton:
- High school or higher: 52.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 5.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Norton town:
- Never married: 23.2%
- Now married: 37.8%
- Separated: 4.9%
- Widowed: 17.1%
- Divorced: 17.1%
18 residents are foreign born (4.7% Europe, 3.7% North America).
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Norton, Vermont as of February 22, 2019.
The ratio of number of residents in Norton to the number of sex offenders is 169 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Norton town:||1.0% ($689)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (118.6 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (186.8 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (303.5 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Averill, VT (2.5 miles) , Lewis, VT (2.8 miles) , Holland, VT (3.0 miles ), Morgan, VT (3.1 miles ), Island Pond, VT (3.3 miles ), Brighton, VT (3.4 miles ), Charleston, VT (3.6 miles ), Canaan, VT (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2000: 3 buildings, average cost: $56,700
- 2001: 2 buildings, average cost: $25,000
- 2002: 1 building, cost: $45,000
- 2004: 10 buildings, average cost: $50,000
- 2005: 9 buildings, average cost: $50,000
- 2007: 4 buildings, average cost: $112,500
- 2008: 2 buildings, average cost: $112,500
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $185,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 44.97 N, Longitude: 71.82 W
Area code: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
Average climate in Norton, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Norton-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Vermont state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 99.0 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 142.9 miles away from Norton center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 102.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 97.6 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 47.6 miles away from Norton center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 59.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Essex County (16) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 11, Storms: 10, Tropical Storms: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Norton:
- Norwich University (about 71 miles; Northfield, VT; Full-time enrollment: 4,221)
- Saint Michael's College (about 74 miles; Colchester, VT; FT enrollment: 2,336)
- Community College of Vermont (about 75 miles; Winooski, VT; FT enrollment: 3,394)
- University of Vermont (about 76 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 11,566)
- Champlain College (about 77 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 2,623)
- SUNY College at Plattsburgh (about 83 miles; Plattsburgh, NY; FT enrollment: 5,934)
- Plymouth State University (about 85 miles; Plymouth, NH; FT enrollment: 4,838)
Notable location: Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Norton: Saint Bernards Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Saint Bernards Cemetery (1), Old Catholic Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and swamps: Halfway Pond (A), The Loon Hole (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Sutton Brook (A), Station Brook (B), Number Six Brook (C), Number Five Brook (D), Mosher Meadow Brook (E), Black Turn Brook (F), Davis Brook (G), Gaudette Brook (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Norton: Averill Mountain State Wildlife Management Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
|This town:||1.9 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 2.3% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Norton town (based on Essex County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Essex County:||3.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Essex County:||6.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||15.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
7.51% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($26,339 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Caledonia County, VT||1.91% ($23,813 average AGI)|
|from Coos County, NH||1.59% ($26,075)|
|from Orleans County, VT||0.52% ($21,385)|
7.29% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($67,934 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Norton:
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WDEV (550 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WIKE (1490 AM; 1 kW; NEWPORT, VT; Owner: NORTHSTAR MEDIA, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WTWN (1100 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELLS RIVER, VT; Owner: PUFFER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WVMT (620 AM; 5 kW; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: SISON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Norton:
- WMOO (92.1 FM; DERBY CENTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSTAR MEDIA, INC.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WGMT (97.7 FM; LYNDON, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WLKC (103.3 FM; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WEZF (92.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVPS (107.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- W243AE (96.5 FM; ORLEANS, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WNCS (104.7 FM; MONTPELIER, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMTK (106.3 FM; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WDOT (95.7 FM; DANVILLE, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING INC)
- WXXS (102.3 FM; LANCASTER, NH; Owner: BARRY P. LUNDERVILLE)
Norton fatal accident list:
Jan 11, 1987 12:45 AM, Vt114, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 4m13ftTotal length
- $869,000Total costs
- 342Total average daily traffic
- 6Total average daily truck traffic
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- BROUSSEAU M, 3.8 Miles Se Of Intersection Sr114 And 147 (Lat: 44.968389 Lon: -71.743139), Type: Tower, Structure height: 15.5 m, Overall height: 18.3 m, Call Sign: WNEI777
Assigned Frequencies: 6725.00 MHz, 6755.00 MHz, 6197.24 MHz, 6795.00 MHzGrant Date: 01/27/2012, Expiration Date: 03/03/2022Registrant: National Grid Usa Service Company Inc., 40 Sylvan Rd, Waltham, MA 02451, Phone: (781) 906-3409, Fax: (315) 428-6689, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: N1AIO, Grant Date: 09/18/1998, Expiration Date: 09/18/2008, Cancellation Date: 09/21/2010, Registrant: Michael N Dougherty, Norton, VT 05907-0024
Drinking water stations with addresses in Norton and their reported violations in the past:NORTON RESTAURANT (Population served: 86, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- 24 routine major monitoring violations
- 8 regular monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (91%)
- Wood (5%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
Norton compared to Vermont state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.