Oak City, North Carolina
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||46.3 years|
|North Carolina median age:||37.9 years|
Zip codes: 27857.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $16,583 (it was $15,302 in 2000)
Oak City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $78,054 (it was $44,100 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $91,674; Detached houses: $103,025; Mobile homes: $58,906
Median gross rent in 2013: $474.
Races in Oak City, NC (2010)
- 18759.0%Black alone
- 11937.5%White alone
- 30.9%Other race alone
- 10.3%American Indian alone
- 10.3%Two or more races
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- How Does the Presence of a Major Employer Affect Crime Rates? Feb 10
- Prosper default rate decreased in 2014 Feb 8
- How important is peer-to-peer loan diversification? Feb 6
- Where Do the Young and Old People Live, and How Has That Changed Over the Years? Feb 4
- Reasons for getting a Lending Club loan Feb 2
|How Many Regret Moving To The Raleigh Area ? (367 replies)|
|Best restaurants in the Triangle (60 replies)|
|Looking for safe, affordable apartment in Raleigh, Cary (38 replies)|
|Where to buy coffee (not coffee shops) (26 replies)|
|Raleigh is #2 Music city (not named Nashville) (22 replies)|
|Crossfit gyms? (11 replies)|
Latest news from Oak City, NC collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (5.0%), Irish (4.6%), English (2.9%), French (2.9%), Subsaharan African (2.5%), Scottish (2.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 84 feet
Land area: 0.48 square miles.
Population density: 643 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Oak City:
- High school or higher: 84.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 2.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.0%
- Unemployed: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Oak City town:
- Never married: 33.7%
- Now married: 46.5%
- Separated: 3.1%
- Widowed: 12.6%
- Divorced: 4.1%
According to our research of North Carolina and other state lists there were 6 registered sex offenders living in Oak City, North Carolina as of February 10, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Oak City to the number of sex offenders is 52 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $1,104 (1.4%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $1,095 (1.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Greenville, NC (25.3 miles , pop. 60,476).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Raleigh, NC (75.7 miles , pop. 276,093).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (302.9 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Hassell, NC (2.0 miles) , Hamilton, NC (2.4 miles ), Hobgood, NC (2.6 miles ), Speed, NC (2.8 miles) , Robersonville, NC (3.2 miles ), Parmele, NC (3.2 miles ), Bethel, NC (3.4 miles ), Everetts, NC (3.4 miles) .
Latitude: 35.96 N, Longitude: 77.31 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 252
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (24%)
- Accommodation and food services (24%)
- Construction (12%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Wholesale trade (7%)
- Utilities (5%)
- Information (2%)
- Health care and social assistance (32%)
- Accommodation and food services (17%)
- Manufacturing (15%)
- Public administration (13%)
- Retail trade (5%)
- Transportation and warehousing (5%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (24%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (14%)
- Material moving occupations (14%)
- Architecture and engineering occupations (12%)
- Production occupations (12%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (5%)
- Community and social service occupations (2%)
- Sales and related occupations (22%)
- Production occupations (15%)
- Health technologists and technicians (10%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Healthcare support occupations (8%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (7%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (7%)
Average climate in Oak City, North Carolina
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Oak City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above North Carolina state average. It is 5% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/28/1984, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 20.5 miles away from the Oak City town center killed 16 people and injured 153 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 11/28/1988, a category F4 tornado 34.3 miles away from the town center killed 4 people and injured 154 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Oak City-area historical earthquake activity is near North Carolina state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 12/9/2003 at 20:59:14, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB, 4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 117.1 miles away from the city center
On 8/6/1994 at 19:54:09, a magnitude 3.8 (3.6 LG, 3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 69.4 miles away from Oak City center
On 11/22/1974 at 05:25:55, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB) earthquake occurred 266.7 miles away from the city center
On 5/5/2003 at 16:32:32, a magnitude 3.9 (3.9 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 131.0 miles away from the city center
On 10/21/1998 at 05:56:47, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.3 LG, Depth: 8.3 mi) earthquake occurred 114.4 miles away from Oak City center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 327.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Martin County (10) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 8, Flood: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Storm: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Oak City:
- LIFE, INC TWIN ACRES GROUP HOME (Hospital, about 13 miles away; WILLIAMSTON, NC)
- HALIFAX COUNTY DIALYSIS CENTER (Dialysis Facility, about 13 miles away; SCOTLAND NECK, NC)
- KINDRED NURSING AND REHAB-SCOTLAND NECK (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; SCOTLAND NECK, NC)
- THE FOUNTAINS AT THE ALBEMARLE (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; TARBORO, NC)
- EDGECOMBE HOMECARE AND HOSPICE (Home Health Center, about 15 miles away; TARBORO, NC)
- VIDANT EDGECOMBE HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 15 miles away; TARBORO, NC)
- HERITAGE HOSPITAL (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; TARBORO, NC)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Oak City:
- Edgecombe Community College (about 16 miles; Tarboro, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,058)
- East Carolina University (about 25 miles; Greenville, NC; FT enrollment: 23,943)
- Pitt Community College (about 30 miles; Winterville, NC; FT enrollment: 7,026)
- Nash Community College (about 34 miles; Rocky Mount, NC; FT enrollment: 2,520)
- Lenoir Community College (about 53 miles; Kinston, NC; FT enrollment: 2,555)
- Wayne Community College (about 53 miles; Goldsboro, NC; FT enrollment: 3,174)
- Craven Community College (about 61 miles; New Bern, NC; FT enrollment: 2,712)
Public high school in Oak City:
- Heritage High (Location: 1150 Forestville Road; Grades: 9-12)
Churches in Oak City include: Saint Mark Church (A), Saint Paul Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 71.5. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2004 was 2.00. This is about average. Closest monitor was 15.6 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 31.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 15.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2006 was 15.8. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 15.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 7.93. This is about average. Closest monitor was 22.6 miles away from the city center.
(4.2% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 30.0% for Black residents)
|This town:||2.2 people|
|North Carolina:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Oak City compared to North Carolina state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
|North Carolina average:||12.4|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (53%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (32%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (14%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Oak City town (based on Martin County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Martin County:||2.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|North Carolina:||2.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|Martin County:||1.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|North Carolina:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Martin County:||5.53 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||7||$2,901|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||8||$3,935|
Oak City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Electric Utilities: $270,000 ($879.48)
Central Staff Services: $52,000 ($169.38)
Regular Highways: $26,000 ($84.69)
Fire Protection: $18,000 ($58.63)
Police Protection: $13,000 ($42.35)
Sewerage: $9,000 ($29.32)
Water Utilities: $4,000 ($13.03)
Housing & Community Development: $2,000 ($6.51)
Parks & Recreation: $2,000 ($6.51)
Health Services - Other: $1,000 ($3.26)
- Other Capital Outlay - Electric Utilities: $1,000 ($3.26)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $54,000 ($175.90)
Oak City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $20,000 ($65.15)
All Other: $1,000 ($3.26)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Support: $17,000 ($55.37)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $9,000 ($29.32)
General Revenue, NEC: $1,000 ($3.26)
- Revenue - Electric Utilities: $303,000 ($986.97)
Water Utilities: $8,000 ($26.06)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $23,000 ($74.92)
General Support: $4,000 ($13.03)
- Tax - Property: $60,000 ($195.44)
NEC: $3,000 ($9.77)
Motor Vehicle License: $2,000 ($6.51)
Oak City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $552,000 ($1798.05)
4.41% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($28,731 average adjusted gross income)
|North Carolina average:||7.13%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Pitt County, NC||1.08% ($25,478 average AGI)|
|from Beaufort County, NC||0.38% ($25,594)|
|from Bertie County, NC||0.28% ($23,125)|
5.20% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($26,814 average adjusted gross income)
|North Carolina average:||6.77%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Oak City:
- WYAL (1280 AM; daytime; 5 kW; SCOTLAND NECK, NC)
- WNCT (1070 AM; 10 kW; GREENVILLE, NC; Owner: WNCT LICENSE LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPTF (680 AM; 50 kW; RALEIGH, NC; Owner: FIRST STATE COMMUNICATIONS)
- WTAR (850 AM; 50 kW; NORFOLK, VA; Owner: SINCLAIR COMMUNICATIONS)
- WFTK (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; WAKE FOREST, NC; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WCKO (1110 AM; daytime; 50 kW; NORFOLK, VA; Owner: WORD BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WCPS (760 AM; daytime; 1 kW; TARBORO, NC; Owner: JOHNSON BROADCAST VENTURES, LTD)
- WDLX (930 AM; 5 kW; WASHINGTON, NC; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WGHB (1250 AM; 5 kW; FARMVILLE, NC; Owner: CONNER MEDIA, INC.)
- WRVA (1140 AM; 50 kW; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEED (1390 AM; 5 kW; ROCKY MOUNT, NC; Owner: NORTHSTAR BROADCATING CORPORATION)
- WIAM (900 AM; 1 kW; WILLIAMSTON, NC; Owner: LIFELINE MINISTRIES, INC)
- WGTM (590 AM; 5 kW; WILSON, NC; Owner: SPIRIT BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Oak City:
- WTRG (100.7 FM; ROCKY MOUNT, NC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCBZ (103.7 FM; WILLIAMSTON, NC; Owner: ABG NORTH CAROLINA, LLC)
- WBKU (91.7 FM; AHSOKIE, NC; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WKTC (95.5 FM; PINETOPS, NC; Owner: WEQQ, INC.)
- WFXK (104.3 FM; TARBORO, NC; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WERO (93.3 FM; WASHINGTON, NC; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WNCT-FM (107.9 FM; GREENVILLE, NC; Owner: WNCT LICENSE LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRDU (106.1 FM; WILSON, NC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRNS-FM (95.1 FM; KINSTON, NC; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WRQM (90.9 FM; ROCKY MOUNT, NC; Owner: BOARD OF TRUSTEES UNIVERSITY OF NC AT CHAPEL HILL)
- WRSV (92.1 FM; ROCKY MOUNT, NC; Owner: NORTHSTAR BROADCATING CORPORATION)
- WIAM-FM (98.9 FM; WINDSOR, NC; Owner: LIFELINE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WURB (97.7 FM; WINDSOR, NC; Owner: WILLIS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGPM (94.3 FM; FARMVILLE, NC; Owner: ABG NORTH CAROLINA, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Oak City:
- WITN-TV (Channel 7; WASHINGTON, NC; Owner: WITN LICENSEE CORP.)
- WNCT-TV (Channel 9; GREENVILLE, NC; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WFTB-LP (Channel 55; WILLIAMSTON, ETC., NC; Owner: FREE TEMPLE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WUNK-TV (Channel 25; GREENVILLE, NC; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA)
- WUND-TV (Channel 2; COLUMBIA, NC; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA)
- WRAY-TV (Channel 30; WILSON, NC; Owner: WRAY, INC.)
- WUNP-TV (Channel 36; ROANOKE RAPIDS, NC; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA)
- WRPX (Channel 47; ROCKY MOUNT, NC; Owner: PAXSON RALEIGH LICENSE, INC.)
- WCTI-TV (Channel 12; NEW BERN, NC; Owner: EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WUNM-TV (Channel 19; JACKSONVILLE, NC; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA)
- WYDO (Channel 14; GREENVILLE, NC; Owner: PIEDMONT TELEVISION OF EASTERN CAROLINA LICENSE LLC)
- W60CV (Channel 60; GREENVILLE, NC; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Oak City fatal accident list:
Jul 6, 1986 09:45 AM, 11, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
Jan 21, 1985 04:45 PM, 11, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 5, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: NL7YV, Previous Call Sign: WL7CAR, Licensee ID: L00222083
Grant Date: 11/28/2012, Expiration Date: 09/15/2022, Certifier: Alton Carney
Registrant: Alton Carney, Oak City, NC 27857
- Call Sign: KJ4DMU, Licensee ID: L01380695
Grant Date: 04/23/2008, Expiration Date: 04/23/2018, Certifier: Christopher M Shelton
Registrant: Christopher M Shelton, 300 Nc Highway 11, Oak City, NC 27857
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
- Hazardous Condition: 1
|Most common first names in Oak City, NC among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Oak City, NC among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2016.