|Median resident age:||44.8 years|
|Kansas median age:||32.8 years|
Zip codes: 67748.
Oakley city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $83,023 (it was $54,200 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $524.
- White alone - 1,939 (94.8%)
- Hispanic - 57 (2.8%)
- Two or more races - 22 (1.1%)
- American Indian alone - 11 (0.5%)
- Black alone - 8 (0.4%)
- Asian alone - 8 (0.4%)
|Rural Kansas Decline (59 replies)|
|Want to learn more about life in Western Kansas.. (43 replies)|
|Tell Me: What Does the State of Kansas Look Like? (65 replies)|
|Anyone else bored with West Kansas? (46 replies)|
|Lay off of Kansas! (86 replies)|
|Non-KC Area Kansans Perspectives (38 replies)|
Latest news from Oakley, KS collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (39.8%), Irish (14.3%), Welsh (7.6%), United States (6.4%), English (6.2%), French (3.2%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 3050 feet
Land area: 1.89 square miles.
Population density: 1,102 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Oakley:
- High school or higher: 93.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.6%
- Unemployed: 4.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 14.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Oakley city:
- Never married: 19.2%
- Now married: 58.2%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 9.4%
- Divorced: 11.8%
70 residents are foreign born (0.5% Asia).
According to our research of Kansas and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Oakley, Kansas as of February 26, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Oakley to the number of sex offenders is 516 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $1,582 (1.7%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $1,305 (1.9%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Pueblo, CO (211.8 miles , pop. 102,121).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Colorado Springs, CO (212.4 miles , pop. 360,890).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (493.3 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Grinnell, KS (3.5 miles ), Menlo, KS (4.2 miles) , Gem, KS (4.6 miles) , Grainfield, KS (4.6 miles ), Colby, KS (4.6 miles ), Winona, KS (4.6 miles ), Russell Springs, KS (4.8 miles) , Gove City, KS (4.8 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 3 buildings, average cost: $90,300
- 1998: 3 buildings, average cost: $96,000
- 1999: 5 buildings, average cost: $101,700
- 2001: 1 building, cost: $111,900
- 2002: 1 building, cost: $116,300
- 2003: 2 buildings, average cost: $122,900
- 2005: 2 buildings, average cost: $138,100
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $161,100
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $168,100
- 2012: 16 buildings, average cost: $172,600
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 39.13 N, Longitude: 100.85 W
Area code: 785
|Crime rates in Oakley by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 299.9)||158.2||114.6||81.5||89.4||64.4||240.6||143.4||287.7||75.5||118.2|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Oakley detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.89|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Retail trade (16%)
- Manufacturing (13%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (12%)
- Construction (11%)
- Other services, except public administration (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Wholesale trade (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (32%)
- Accommodation and food services (18%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Retail trade (14%)
- Other services, except public administration (11%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (3%)
- Public administration (3%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (9%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (7%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (14%)
- Cashiers (10%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (4%)
Average climate in Oakley, Kansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Oakley-area historical tornado activity is below Kansas state average. It is 25% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/23/2008, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 33.0 miles away from the Oakley city center injured 2 people and caused $3 million in damages.
On 10/17/1971, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 25.0 miles away from the city center .
Earthquake activity:Oakley-area historical earthquake activity is above Kansas state average. It is 36% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/18/1984 at 15:30:23, a magnitude 5.5 (5.4 MB, 5.1 MS, 5.5 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 334.6 miles away from the city center
On 2/15/1974 at 13:33:49, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 182.0 miles away from Oakley center
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 262.2 miles away from the city center
On 1/3/2007 at 14:34:38, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.4 MW, 4.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 262.1 miles away from the city center
On 9/5/2001 at 10:52:07, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 246.5 miles away from Oakley center
On 5/30/1991 at 22:07:44, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 78.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Logan County (5) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Winter Storms: 3, Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Storm: 1, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Oakley:
Airports located in Oakley:
- Oakley Municipal Airport (Runways: 2, Air Taxi Ops: 100, Itinerant Ops: 5,100, Local Ops: 7,000)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Oakley:
- Fort Hays State University (about 84 miles; Hays, KS; Full-time enrollment: 8,728)
- Barton County Community College (about 125 miles; Great Bend, KS; FT enrollment: 4,108)
- University of Nebraska at Kearney (about 144 miles; Kearney, NE; FT enrollment: 6,047)
- Hutchinson Community College (about 175 miles; Hutchinson, KS; FT enrollment: 4,174)
- Central Community College (about 180 miles; Grand Island, NE; FT enrollment: 4,159)
- Colorado State University-Pueblo (about 209 miles; Pueblo, CO; FT enrollment: 5,993)
- University of Colorado Colorado Springs (about 213 miles; Colorado Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 8,700)
Public high school in Oakley:
- Oakley Senior High School (Students: 150; Location: 118 WEST 7TH; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Oakley:
Private elementary/middle school in Oakley:
Notable locations in Oakley: Oakley Country Club (A), Oakley Municipal Power Plant (B), Logan County Fairgrounds (C), Frontier Agricultural Grain Elevator Number 1 (D), Kansas Highway Patrol Troop D - Logan (E), Oakley Police Department (F), Logan County Sheriff's Department (G), Fick Fossil and History Museum (H), Logan County Courthouse (I), Oakley Fire Department (J), Logan County Fire Department 1 (K), Logan County Emergency Medical Services (L), Logan County Health Department (M), Oakley Public Library (N), Kansas Department of Transportation Area 4 Shop District 3 (O), Oakley City Hall (P), Oakley Area Chamber of Commerce (Q). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Oakley include: Oakley United Methodist Church (A), Gateway Fellowship Church (B), Immanuel Lutheran Church (C), Oakley Christian Church (D), Oakley Church of Christ (E), Sunrise Baptist Church (F), Oakley Community Church (G), Oakley Wesleyan Church (H), Mount Olive Baptist Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Oakley include: Bertrand Park (1), Annie Oakley Park (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attractions: FICK Fossil & History Museum (700 West 3rd Street), Oakley-City - FICK Museum (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 700 West 3rd Street), Prairie Dog Town (457 USHighway 83).
Hotels: 1st Travel Inn (708 Center Avenue), First Interstate Inn (Po Box 283), Free Breakfast Inn (Highway 83 & 170), O'Sheridan Operating LLC (Highway 83 & I70), Annie Oakley Motel (428 Center Avenue), Best Western Golden Plains Motel (3506 Us 40).
(10.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 100.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
57 people in nursing homes in 2000
Oakley compared to Kansas state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Oakley (2011 data):
- Peoples State Bank: Branch at 610 West Second St, branch established on 2004/12/31. Info updated 2010/09/23: Bank assets: $115.8 mil, Deposits: $91.3 mil, headquarters in Mc Donald, KS, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Big Mac Bancshares, Inc.
- The Farmers State Bank of Oakley, Kansas: The Farmers State Bank Of Oakley, Kansas at 100 Center Avenue, branch established on 1907/03/17. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $106.5 mil, Deposits: $84.2 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 1 total offices, Holding Company: Security Bancshares, Inc.
- The Bank: Oakley Branch at 225 Center, branch established on 1917/06/25. Info updated 2010/12/20: Bank assets: $201.9 mil, Deposits: $175.9 mil, headquarters in Oberlin, KS, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 10 total offices, Holding Company: Decatur Investment, Inc.
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Oakley, Kansas:
- Best Western Golden Plains Motel, 3506 US 40, Oakley, KS 67748 , Phone: (785) 672-3254, Fax: (785) 672-3200
- Sleep Inn & Suites - Oakley, 3768 E Hwy 40, Oakley, KS 67748 , Phone: (785) 671-1111, Fax: (785) 671-1092
- 1st Travel Inn, 708 Center Ave, Oakley, KS 67748 , Phone: (785) 672-3226, Fax: (785) 672-3283
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (82%)
- Electricity (16%)
- Other fuel (1%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Oakley city (based on Logan County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 72.09%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Lutheran Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Logan County:||3.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kansas:||1.96 / 10,000 pop.|
|Logan County:||7.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||30.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.33 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2013)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$4,585||$27,510||6||$624|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||1||$901|
|Police Protection - Officers||6||$19,479||$38,958||0||$0|
|Police - Other||3||$6,665||$26,660||1||$263|
|Streets and Highways||2||$5,310||$31,860||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||3||$7,055||$28,220||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||2||$4,488||$26,928||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||2||$443|
|Totals for Government||23||$66,831||$34,868||35||$3,704|
Oakley government finances - Expenditure in 2006 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Electric Utilities: $1,949,000 ($936.12)
General - Other: $787,000 ($378.00)
Police Protection: $316,000 ($151.78)
Central Staff Services: $285,000 ($136.89)
Solid Waste Management: $190,000 ($91.26)
Water Utilities: $148,000 ($71.09)
Regular Highways: $118,000 ($56.68)
Libraries: $103,000 ($49.47)
Parks and Recreation: $85,000 ($40.83)
Sewerage: $70,000 ($33.62)
Air Transportation: $29,000 ($13.93)
Judicial and Legal Services: $27,000 ($12.97)
Local Fire Protection: $20,000 ($9.61)
Correctional Institutions: $5,000 ($2.40)
- General - Interest on Debt: $54,000 ($25.94)
- Other Capital Outlay - General - Other: $192,000 ($92.22)
Parks and Recreation: $93,000 ($44.67)
Water Utilities: $64,000 ($30.74)
Central Staff Services: $40,000 ($19.21)
Electric Utilities: $39,000 ($18.73)
Solid Waste Management: $30,000 ($14.41)
Local Fire Protection: $30,000 ($14.41)
Regular Highways: $11,000 ($5.28)
Sewerage: $9,000 ($4.32)
Police Protection: $3,000 ($1.44)
- Total Salaries and Wages: $1,111,000 ($533.62)
Oakley government finances - Revenue in 2006 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $180,000 ($86.46)
Sewerage: $106,000 ($50.91)
All Other: $76,000 ($36.50)
Parks and Recreation: $26,000 ($12.49)
Air Transportation: $6,000 ($2.88)
Miscellaneous Commercial Activities: $4,000 ($1.92)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $574,000 ($275.70)
Fines and Forfeits: $28,000 ($13.45)
Interest Earnings: $24,000 ($11.53)
Donations From Private Sources: $6,000 ($2.88)
Special Assessments: $5,000 ($2.40)
- Revenue - Electric Utilities: $1,827,000 ($877.52)
Water Utilities: $221,000 ($106.15)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $59,000 ($28.34)
All Other: $16,000 ($7.68)
General Local Government Support: $6,000 ($2.88)
- Tax - Property: $761,000 ($365.51)
General Sales and Gross Receipts: $145,000 ($69.64)
Public Utilities Sales: $34,000 ($16.33)
Other License: $5,000 ($2.40)
Oakley government finances - Debt in 2006 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt - Beginning Outstanding - Unspecified Public Purpose: $946,000 ($454.37)
Outstanding Unspecified Public Purpose: $920,000 ($441.88)
Retired Unspecified Public Purpose: $26,000 ($12.49)
Oakley government finances - Cash and Securities in 2006 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash and Securities: $381,000 ($183.00)
- Sinking Funds - Cash and Securities: $1,000 ($0.48)
6.05% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,348 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Thomas County, KS||1.23% ($23,929 average AGI)|
6.95% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($25,963 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
|to Thomas County, KS||1.04% ($23,667 average AGI)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Oakley:
- KXXX (790 AM; 5 kW; COLBY, KS; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KGYN (1210 AM; 50 kW; GUYMON, OK; Owner: TELNS BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KMXA (1090 AM; 50 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KIMB (1260 AM; 50 kW; KIMBALL, NE; Owner: G & L INVESTMENTS, LLC)
- KSIR (1010 AM; 25 kW; BRUSH, CO; Owner: JMS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KBRL (1300 AM; 5 kW; MCCOOK, NE; Owner: MCCOOK RADIO GROUP, LLC)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Oakley:
- KQLS (100.3 FM; COLBY, KS; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KKCI (102.5 FM; GOODLAND, KS; Owner: MELIA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Oakley:
- K15CG (Channel 15; OAKLEY, KS; Owner: SMOKY HILLS PUBLIC TELEVISION)
- KLBY (Channel 4; COLBY, KS; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- K69DB (Channel 69; HOXIE, ETC., KS; Owner: SHERIDAN CNTY, KANSAS)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 2
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 3
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 0
- Fatalities: 2
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 4
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 0
- Fatal accident count: 106
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 159
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 39
- Fatalities: 114
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 265
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 11
Oakley fatal accident list:
Dec 30, 1978 07:53 PM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:4 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Oakley)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:49 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Oakley, KS)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:16 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers:5 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: W0AGX, Licensee ID: L01121324
Grant Date: 02/22/2006, Expiration Date: 05/22/2016, Certifier: Alyston E Campbell
Registrant: Alyston E Campbell, 100 Price Ave, Oakley, KS 67748
- Call Sign: KD0BTV, Licensee ID: L01332309
Grant Date: 10/15/2007, Expiration Date: 10/15/2017, Cancellation Date: 11/03/2007, Certifier: Jason R Moses
Registrant: Jason R Moses, 706 W 8th, Oakley, KS 67748
- Call Sign: KS0TAG, Previous Call Sign: KD0BTV, Licensee ID: L01332309
Grant Date: 11/03/2007, Expiration Date: 11/03/2017, Certifier: Jason R Moses
Registrant: Jason R Moses, 706 W 8th, Oakley, KS 67748
FAA Registered Aircraft:15 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Oakley)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 24
- Hazardous Condition: 15
Incident types - Oakley
|Most common first names in Oakley, KS among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Oakley, KS among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Oakley, KS|
Oakley on our top lists:
- #37 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Farm product raw material merchant wholesalers"
- #64 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers"
- #78 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Motor vehicle and parts dealers"
- #84 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most local government spending on current operations of libraries per resident in 2004 in $"
- #87 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Gasoline stations"
- #95 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Bush (Republican) in the 2004 Presidential Election"
Total of 4 patent applications in 2008-2015.