|Median resident age:||36.5 years|
|Oregon median age:||36.3 years|
Zip code: 97754
Ochoco CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $177,113 (it was $95,000 in 2000)
- White alone - 12,680 (90.5%)
- Hispanic - 935 (6.7%)
- American Indian alone - 165 (1.2%)
- Two or more races - 149 (1.1%)
- Asian alone - 63 (0.4%)
- Other race alone - 9 (0.06%)
- Black alone - 5 (0.04%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 6 (0.04%)
Current Local Time: PST time zone
Land area: 698.6 square miles.
Population density: 24 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Ochoco:
- High school or higher: 79.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.1%
- Unemployed: 6.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 15.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ochoco CCD:
- Never married: 18.5%
- Now married: 62.4%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 7.6%
- Divorced: 11.6%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Ochoco CCD:||1.3% ($1,223)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Bend, OR (36.3 miles , pop. 52,029).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Northwest Clackamas, OR (118.4 miles , pop. 224,220).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Los Angeles, CA (720.9 miles , pop. 3,694,820).
Nearest cities: Prineville, OR (2.8 miles ), Powell Butte, OR (4.1 miles ), Ashwood, OR (4.3 miles ), Terrebonne, OR (4.9 miles ), Redmond, OR (4.9 miles ), Pronghorn, OR (5.1 miles) , Culver, OR (5.3 miles ), Metolius, OR (5.3 miles ).
Latitude: 44.35 N, Longitude: 120.70 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 541
Unemployment by year (%)
- Wood products (22%)
- Construction (13%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (9%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Plastics and rubber products (3%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Health care (12%)
- Wood products (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Personal and laundry services (3%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Woodworkers (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
- Child care workers (4%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (4%)
Average climate in Ochoco, Oregon
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Ochoco-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Oregon state average. It is 379% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/1915 at 06:52:48, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 312.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/13/1949 at 19:55:42, a magnitude 7.0 (7.0 UK) earthquake occurred 218.3 miles away from Ochoco center, causing $80,000,000 total damage
On 1/31/1922 at 13:17:28, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK) earthquake occurred 353.3 miles away from the city center
On 11/8/1980 at 10:27:34, a magnitude 7.2 (6.2 MB, 7.2 MS, 7.2 MW, 7.0 ML) earthquake occurred 289.2 miles away from the city center
On 2/28/2001 at 18:54:32, a magnitude 6.8 (6.5 MB, 6.6 MS, 6.8 MW, Depth: 32.2 mi, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 209.8 miles away from Ochoco center, causing $2,000,000,000 total damage and $305,000,000 insured losses
On 4/18/1906 at 13:12:21, a magnitude 7.9 (7.9 UK) earthquake occurred 455.3 miles away from the city center, causing $524,000,000 total damage
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Crook County (6) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Landslides: 2, Mudslides: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ochoco:
- Central Oregon Community College (about 38 miles; Bend, OR; Full-time enrollment: 5,217)
- Clackamas Community College (about 114 miles; Oregon City, OR; FT enrollment: 4,261)
- Mt Hood Community College (about 116 miles; Gresham, OR; FT enrollment: 11,847)
- Lane Community College (about 118 miles; Eugene, OR; FT enrollment: 6,373)
- University of Oregon (about 120 miles; Eugene, OR; FT enrollment: 23,329)
- Chemeketa Community College (about 120 miles; Salem, OR; FT enrollment: 10,746)
- Linn-Benton Community College (about 121 miles; Albany, OR; FT enrollment: 4,511)
Notable locations in Ochoco: Keystone Ranch (A), Barney (B), Scissorsville (C), Howard (D), Windy Acres Dairy Farm (E), Trail Cabin (F), Joe Fisher Ranch (G), Bandit Spring Safety Rest Area (H), Walton Lake Recreation Site (I), Negus Ranch (J), Elliot Ranch (K), Lakin Place (L), Cow Camp Cabin (M), Whistler Recreation Site (N), Walton Lake Campground (O), Biggs Spring Recreation Site (P), Ochoco Recreation Site (Q), Cougar Forest Camp (R), McKay Creek Forest Camp (S), Cayuse Forest Camp (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Juniper Haven Cemetery (1), Mill Creek Cemetery (2), Howard Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Lost Spring Reservoir (A), Johnson Creek Reservoir (B), Walton Lake (C), Marks Lake (D), Koch Reservoir (E), Crawford Reservoir (F), Peterson Creek Reservoir (G), Ochoco Reservoir (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Winter Creek (A), Wolf Creek (B), Kyle Creek (C), Kuiman Creek (D), Yellowjacket Creek (E), Juniper Creek (F), Burn Creek (G), Riley Creek (H), Jungle Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Ochoco include: Gary A Ward Park (1), Harwood Park (2), Kilowatt Park (3), Library Park (4), Mini Park (5), Mountain View Park (6), Rimrock Park (7), Stryker Park (8), Davidson Park (9). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 46.2. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 7.95. This is about average. Closest monitor was 7.9 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
People in group quarters in Ochoco in 2000:
- 75 people in residential treatment centers for emotionally disturbed children
- 52 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 49 people in unknown juvenile institutions
- 45 people in nursing homes
- 21 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 13 people in other group homes
- 7 people in hospitals or wards for drug/alcohol abuse
- 6 people in homes or halfway houses for drug/alcohol abuse
- 4 people in other nonhousehold living situations
Ochoco compared to Oregon state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (46%)
- Utility gas (25%)
- Wood (19%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (5%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Religion statistics for Ochoco CCD (based on Crook County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 27.39%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||LDS (Mormon) Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Southern Baptist Convention|
|Name||Conservative Baptist Association of America||Assemblies of God||International Church of the Foursquare Gospel||Church of the Nazarene||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Crook County:||2.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|Oregon:||2.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.44 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.33 / 10,000 pop.|
|Crook County:||1.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|Oregon:||2.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Crook County:||3.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.69 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||9.93 / 10,000 pop.|
7.52% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($37,981 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Deschutes County, OR||2.00% ($35,906 average AGI)|
|from Multnomah County, OR||0.39% ($37,222)|
|from Clackamas County, OR||0.37% ($38,962)|
7.92% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($40,404 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Ochoco:
- KRCO (690 AM; 1 kW; PRINEVILLE, OR; Owner: HORIZON BROADCASTING GROUP LLC)
- KBND (1110 AM; 13 kW; BEND, OR; Owner: COMBINED COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KICE (940 AM; 10 kW; BEND, OR; Owner: GCC BEND, LLC)
- KPOJ (620 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KXL (750 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- KPAM (860 AM; 50 kW; TROUTDALE, OR; Owner: PAMPLIN BROADCASTING-OREGON, INC.)
- KOTK (1080 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: FISHER BROADCASTING - PORTLAND RADIO, L.L.C.)
- KPNW (1120 AM; 50 kW; EUGENE, OR; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KEX (1190 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KKSN (1520 AM; 50 kW; OREGON CITY, OR; Owner: ENTERCOM PORTLAND LICENSE, LLC)
- KKAD (1550 AM; 50 kW; VANCOUVER, WA; Owner: PAMPLIN BROADCASTING-WASHINGTON, INC)
- KDUN (1030 AM; 50 kW; REEDSPORT, OR; Owner: PAMPLIN BROADCASTING-OREGON, INC.)
- KBOI (670 AM; 50 kW; BOISE, ID; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Ochoco:
- KWRX (88.5 FM; REDMOND, OR; Owner: ST BD OF HIGHER ED FOR THE UN OF OR)
- KMJZ-FM (95.1 FM; PRINEVILLE, OR; Owner: HORIZON BROADCASTING GROUP LLC)
- KSJJ (102.9 FM; REDMOND, OR; Owner: GCC BEND, LLC)
- K266AI (101.1 FM; BEND, OR; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- KWLZ-FM (96.5 FM; WARM SPRINGS, OR; Owner: HORIZON BROADCASTING GROUP LLC)
- KWSO (91.9 FM; WARM SPRINGS, OR; Owner: CONFEDERATED TRIBES WARM SPRINGS REV)
- K205BJ (88.9 FM; BEND, OR; Owner: STATE OF OREGON(ACTING BY & THROUGH THE ST BD OF HIGHER EDU))
- KWPK-FM (104.1 FM; SISTERS, OR; Owner: THUNDEREGG WIRELESS, L.L.C.)
- KTWS (98.3 FM; BEND, OR; Owner: COMBINED COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- KMTK (99.7 FM; BEND, OR; Owner: COMBINED COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
Ochoco on our top lists:
- #73 on the list of "Top 100 cities with largest land areas (pop. 5,000+)"