Orange, New Hampshire
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||42.9 years|
|New Hampshire median age:||43.9 years|
Zip codes: 03741.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $28,359 (it was $17,456 in 2000)
Orange town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $223,265 (it was $110,900 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $265,890; Detached houses: $294,651; Townhouses or other attached units: $187,743; In 2-unit structures: $254,410; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $196,049; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $230,818; Mobile homes: $74,672; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $116,224
Races in Orange, NH (2010)
- 31896.1%White alone
- 10.3%Black alone
- 10.3%Asian alone
- 10.3%Other race alone
- 10.3%Two or more races
Latest news from Orange, NH collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (38.5%), French (27.8%), Irish (19.4%), Scottish (11.0%), German (8.0%), French Canadian (6.0%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1790
Elevation: 1214 feet
Land area: 23.2 square miles.
Population density: 14 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Orange:
- High school or higher: 77.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 17.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.3%
- Unemployed: 3.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Orange town:
- Never married: 24.4%
- Now married: 51.7%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 5.0%
- Divorced: 17.8%
8 residents are foreign born (1.7% Europe, 1.0% Latin America).
According to our research of New Hampshire and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Orange, New Hampshire as of March 26, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Orange to the number of sex offenders is 308 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Orange town:||1.7% ($1,833)|
|New Hampshire:||2.3% ($2,946)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (52.7 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (102.1 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (217.3 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Canaan, NH (2.0 miles ), Grafton, NH (2.3 miles ), Alexandria, NH (2.9 miles ), Groton, NH (2.9 miles ), Hebron, NH (3.0 miles ), Enfield, NH (3.1 miles ), Dorchester, NH (3.1 miles ), Danbury, NH (3.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $91,700
- 1998: 2 buildings, average cost: $120,200
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $100,300
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $78,000
- 2001: 3 buildings, average cost: $121,400
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $121,400
- 2003: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2004: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2006: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2007: 1 building, cost: $181,200
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $200,000
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $100,000
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $211,200
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 43.65 N, Longitude: 71.96 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 603
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (16%)
- Metal and metal products (9%)
- Health care (9%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Publishing, and motion picture and sound recording industries (5%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (5%)
- Health care (20%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (8%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (11%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (10%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (10%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Postsecondary teachers (5%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (8%)
- Business operations specialists (6%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
Average climate in Orange, New Hampshire
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Orange-area historical tornado activity is slightly below New Hampshire state average. It is 64% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/11/1973, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 5.7 miles away from the Orange town center .
On 8/11/1966, a category F2 tornado 25.0 miles away from the town center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Orange-area historical earthquake activity is near New Hampshire state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 120.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 104.6 miles away from Orange center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 21.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 103.6 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 43.9 miles away from Orange center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 47.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Grafton County (28) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 19
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 13, Hurricanes: 3, Snows: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Tropical Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Orange:
- NEWFOUND AREA NURSING ASSN (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; BRISTOL, NH)
- FRESENIUS MEDICAL CARE OF LEBANON (Dialysis Facility, about 14 miles away; LEBANON, NH)
- SPEARE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 16 miles away; PLYMOUTH, NH)
- LAKE SUNAPEE REGION VNA (Home Health Center, about 16 miles away; NEW LONDON, NH)
Amtrak station near Orange:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Orange:
- Plymouth State University (about 16 miles; Plymouth, NH; Full-time enrollment: 4,838)
- Dartmouth College (about 17 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- NHTI-Concord's Community College (about 37 miles; Concord, NH; FT enrollment: 2,865)
- Norwich University (about 49 miles; Northfield, VT; FT enrollment: 4,221)
- Southern New Hampshire University (about 50 miles; Manchester, NH; FT enrollment: 16,552)
- Saint Anselm College (about 52 miles; Manchester, NH; FT enrollment: 2,059)
- Keene State College (about 53 miles; Keene, NH; FT enrollment: 5,098)
Cemetery: Orange Common Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes: Derby Pond (A), Orange Pond (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Number Seven Brook (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Park in Orange: Mount Cardigan State Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 63.8. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 25.6. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 13.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2001 was 7.98. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 23.3 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 6.16. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 17.5 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.5 people|
|New Hampshire:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 1.5% of all households
- Gay men: 2.3% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New Hampshire average:||10.9|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Orange town (based on Grafton County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Grafton County:||3.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Hampshire:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|Grafton County:||1.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Hampshire:||1.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|Grafton County:||6.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||14.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||9.70 / 10,000 pop.|
7.43% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($54,284 average adjusted gross income)
|New Hampshire average:||6.07%|
0.07% of residents moved from foreign countries ($5,320 average AGI)
Grafton County: 0.07% New Hampshire average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Windsor County, VT||0.60% ($56,827 average AGI)|
|from Sullivan County, NH||0.54% ($43,000)|
|from Merrimack County, NH||0.43% ($43,161)|
8.27% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($43,736 average adjusted gross income)
|New Hampshire average:||6.45%|
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($436 average AGI)
Grafton County: 0.11% New Hampshire average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Orange:
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WPNH (1300 AM; 5 kW; PLYMOUTH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEZS (1350 AM; 5 kW; LACONIA, NH; Owner: GARY W. HAMMOND)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTWN (1100 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELLS RIVER, VT; Owner: PUFFER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Orange:
- WPNH-FM (100.1 FM; PLYMOUTH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WEVH (91.3 FM; HANOVER, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO INC)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WVFM (105.7 FM; CAMPTON, NH; Owner: DEVON BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNTK-FM (99.7 FM; NEW LONDON, NH; Owner: SHEILA E. VINIKOOR)
- WSCY (106.9 FM; MOULTONBOROUGH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WXXK (100.5 FM; LEBANON, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVRR (101.7 FM; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WNHI (93.3 FM; BELMONT, NH; Owner: CONCORD BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- WLKZ (104.9 FM; WOLFEBORO, NH; Owner: TELE-MEDIA COMPANY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, L.L.C.)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WRJT (103.1 FM; ROYALTON, VT; Owner: LISBON COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Orange:
- W15BK (Channel 15; HANOVER, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 8Number of bridges
- 5m16ftTotal length
- $25,136,000Total costs
- 3,250Total average daily traffic
- 207Total average daily truck traffic
- 4,809Total future (year 2035) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Cardigan Mountain Lookout Sta (Lat: 43.649806 Lon: -71.913972), Call Sign: KCD842
Assigned Frequencies: 31.9000 MHzGrant Date: 09/06/2012, Expiration Date: 11/18/2022Registrant: Nh Dred, 172 Pembroke Road, Concord, NH 03301, Phone: (603) 271-2214, Fax: (603) 271-6488, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KC1CKP, Licensee ID: L01886119, Grant Date: 08/20/2014, Expiration Date: 08/20/2024, Certifier: Donald S Mcfarlane, Registrant: Donald S Mcfarlane, 280 Burnt Hill Rd, Orange, NH 03741
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (58%)
- Wood (20%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (17%)
- Utility gas (3%)
- Electricity (3%)
Orange compared to New Hampshire state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Total of 7 patent applications in 2008-2017.