We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||47.3 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip code: 04471
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $18,910 (it was $12,131 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $126,884 (it was $75,000 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $125,039; Detached houses: $133,261; Townhouses or other attached units: $227,405; In 2-unit structures: $202,827; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $29,654; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $218,247; Mobile homes: $46,901; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $121,366
Races in Orient, ME (2010)
- 14195.9%White alone
- 21.4%Two or more races
- 10.7%American Indian alone
|Tick tock (49 replies)|
|Four Wheeling In Maine...A Neat Thing. (10 replies)|
|Eastport is out, at least for now. Suggestions in Ellsworth area? (12 replies)|
|The Weather..... (505 replies)|
|Maine to try and ban CCW in National Parks (93 replies)|
|Quick help for tomorrow please if you can? (15 replies)|
Latest news from Orient, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (57.9%), Irish (32.4%), French (11.7%), German (9.0%), Scotch-Irish (8.3%), Polish (4.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 445 feet
Land area: 35.8 square miles.
Population density: 4.1 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Orient:
- High school or higher: 75.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 22.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.9%
- Unemployed: 3.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 35.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Orient town:
- Never married: 39.7%
- Now married: 42.6%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 6.6%
- Divorced: 9.6%
3 residents are foreign born (2.1% North America).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Orient town:||1.0% ($775)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (190.6 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (290.5 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (458.2 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Weston, ME (2.3 miles ), Haynesville, ME (2.6 miles) , Amity, ME (2.8 miles) , Bancroft, ME (3.3 miles) , Danforth, ME (3.5 miles ), Hodgdon, ME (4.1 miles ), Linneus, ME (4.3 miles ), Houlton, ME (4.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2013: 3 buildings, average cost: $115,000
- 2014: 3 buildings, average cost: $115,000
Latitude: 45.81 N, Longitude: 67.84 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (24%)
- Public administration (15%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Construction (9%)
- Wood products (9%)
- Metal and metal products (6%)
- Computer and electronic products (6%)
- Health care (28%)
- Social assistance (22%)
- Construction (11%)
- Food (11%)
- Finance and insurance (11%)
- Public administration (11%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (18%)
- Secondary school teachers (12%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (12%)
- Other financial specialists (9%)
- Engineers (6%)
- Registered nurses (6%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (6%)
- Child care workers (17%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (11%)
- Therapists (11%)
- Health technologists and technicians (11%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (11%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (11%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (11%)
Average climate in Orient, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Orient-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 102.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 301.0 miles away from Orient center
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi) earthquake occurred 86.7 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 343.5 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 244.6 miles away from Orient center
On 9/16/1994 at 07:01:54, a magnitude 3.6 (3.5 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 39.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Aroostook County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Orient:
- University of Maine (about 76 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 83 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 138 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 140 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 189 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 191 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 191 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Notable location: Sunset Park (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Peters Cove Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes: Longley Lake (A), North Lake (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Jimmy Brook (A), Winship Brook (B), Bear Brook (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2000 was 23.7. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2000 was 22.0. This is about average. Closest monitor was 21.4 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Orient town (based on Aroostook County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Aroostook County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||7.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
3.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,766 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,181 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.08% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.46% ($28,764 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.20% ($23,132)|
|from Hartford County, CT||0.09% ($34,920)|
3.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,623 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($830 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.11% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Orient:
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WEGP (1390 AM; 5 kW; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: DECELLES/SMITH MEDIA, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Orient:
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WHOU-FM (100.1 FM; HOULTON, ME; Owner: COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
Orient fatal accident list:
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 1m3ftTotal length
- 80Total average daily traffic
- 6Total average daily truck traffic
- 120Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1
- 0.4 Miles W Of Us Route 1; 2.35 Mi N Of Brackett Lake; 2.6 Miles Ssw Of (Lat: 45.787833 Lon: -67.863611), Structure height: 53.3 m, Call Sign: KNKN729
Assigned Frequencies: 880.020 MHz, 835.020 MHz, 891.510 MHz, 846.510 MHzGrant Date: 08/30/2011, Expiration Date: 10/01/2021, Certifier: John T Scott IiiRegistrant: Verizon Wireless, 1120 Sanctuary Pkwy, #150 Gasa5reg, Alpharetta, GA 30009-7630, Phone: (770) 797-1070, Fax: (770) 797-1036, Email:
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:1
- .64km W Of Us Route 1, 3.78km N Of Brackett Lake, 4.18km Ssw (Lat: 45.787778 Lon: -67.863611), Type: 53.3, Overall height: 45.7 m, Registrant: 2079459979, , 1 CUMBERLAND PLACE, SUITE 112
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: KB1CZF, Licensee ID: L01504164, Grant Date: 07/08/2009, Expiration Date: 07/08/2019, Registrant: Stephen J Martin, 1049 Us Route One, Orient, ME 04471
- Call Sign: NO1B, Licensee ID: L01263785, Grant Date: 09/05/2007, Expiration Date: 09/18/2017, Registrant: Walter M Zakupowsky, 45 Maxell Settlement Rd, Orient, ME 04471-0183
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 4
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (62%)
- Wood (35%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
Orient compared to Maine state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.