|Median resident age:||48.8 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 13316.
Osceola town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $87,479 (it was $55,600 in 2000)
- White alone - 228 (99.6%)
- Two or more races - 1 (0.4%)
|Redfield and Osceola (0 replies)|
|Syracuse suburbs & outskirts -- opinions? (166 replies)|
|where is best place to get XC ski lesson on Friday in Rome/Utica area (1 reply)|
|Pa or NYS? (25 replies)|
|Ski Resorts & Snowmobiling In New York State (7 replies)|
|Snowfall Map of Greater Syracuse Area (18 replies)|
Latest news from Osceola, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (18.1%), German (17.0%), Irish (17.0%), French (6.4%), Swiss (5.3%), Italian (4.9%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 87.0 square miles.
|Population density: 2.6 people per square mile||(very low).|
For population 25 years and over in Osceola:
- High school or higher: 83.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.3%
- Unemployed: 11.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 35.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Osceola town:
- Never married: 17.6%
- Now married: 57.9%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 8.6%
- Divorced: 13.6%
6 residents are foreign born (1.1% Europe, 1.1% Asia).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Osceola town:||1.8% ($1,013)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Clay, NY (36.4 miles , pop. 58,805).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Rochester, NY (99.5 miles , pop. 219,773).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (208.2 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Redfield, NY (2.7 miles ), Florence, NY (2.9 miles ), Williamstown, NY (3.4 miles ), West Turin, NY (3.5 miles ), Orwell, NY (3.6 miles ), Montague, NY (3.7 miles) , Camden, NY (3.7 miles ), Constableville, NY (3.7 miles ).
Latitude: 43.54 N, Longitude: 75.70 W
Area code: 315
- Metal and metal products (21%)
- Construction (14%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Wood products (10%)
- Truck transportation (10%)
- Machinery (8%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Finance and insurance (16%)
- Health care (15%)
- Food and beverage stores (11%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Metal and metal products (9%)
- Printing and related support activities (5%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (14%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (11%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (10%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Electricians (8%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Registered nurses (11%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (9%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (9%)
- Cashiers (7%)
- Business operations specialists (5%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
Average climate in Osceola, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Osceola-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 73.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 118.5 miles away from Osceola center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 278.0 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 81.2 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 205.6 miles away from Osceola center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 77.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Lewis County (15) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 8
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 4, Floods: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Snows: 2, Snowstorms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Power Outage: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Vince Dailey - Baseball player.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Osceola:
- Jefferson Community College (about 34 miles; Watertown, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,886)
- Utica College (about 38 miles; Utica, NY; FT enrollment: 2,952)
- Le Moyne College (about 40 miles; Syracuse, NY; FT enrollment: 3,041)
- Mohawk Valley Community College (about 40 miles; Utica, NY; FT enrollment: 5,693)
- Syracuse University (about 41 miles; Syracuse, NY; FT enrollment: 20,717)
- SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (about 42 miles; Syracuse, NY; FT enrollment: 2,044)
- SUNY College at Oswego (about 43 miles; Oswego, NY; FT enrollment: 7,550)
Notable location: Osceola Public Library (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Salmon River Cemetery (1), Gregory Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Stone Pond (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Smith Brook (A), Fall Brook (B), Roaring Brook (C), Deep Creek (D), Crooked Brook (E), Cowles Creek (F), Baker Brook (G), Threemile Creek (H), Pickens Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.2 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 1.0% of all households
- Gay men: 1.0% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Osceola compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Wood (47%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (41%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (8%)
- Electricity (4%)
Religion statistics for Osceola town (based on Lewis County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 64.66%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Conservative Mennonite Conference||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Mennonite Church USA|
|Name||Episcopal Church||American Baptist Churches in the USA||The Wesleyan Church||Assemblies of God||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Lewis County:||3.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Lewis County:||4.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
5.58% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 200529,988 ($ average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.41%|
0.17% of residents moved from foreign countries($626 average AGI)
Lewis County: 0.17% New York average: 0.24%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Jefferson County, NY||1.48% ($26,923 average AGI)|
|from Oneida County, NY||0.73% ($33,047)|
|from St. Lawrence County, NY||0.24% ($16,619)|
5.31% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 200627,789 ($ average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||6.26%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Osceola:
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHEN (620 AM; 5 kW; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSCP (1070 AM; daytime; 3 kW; SANDY CREEK-PULASKI, NY; Owner: GALAXY COMMUNICATIONS, L.P.)
- WRUN (1150 AM; 5 kW; UTICA, NY)
- WIBX (950 AM; 5 kW; UTICA, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF UTICA/ROME, INC.)
- WSYR (570 AM; 5 kW; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WNER (1410 AM; 5 kW; WATERTOWN, NY)
- WADR (1480 AM; 5 kW; REMSEN, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBRV (900 AM; 1 kW; BOONVILLE, NY)
- WHAM (1180 AM; 50 kW; ROCHESTER, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WDCW (1390 AM; 5 kW; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WNSS (1260 AM; 5 kW; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Osceola:
- WJNY (90.9 FM; WATERTOWN, NY; Owner: PUBLIC B/CNG COUNCIL CENTRAL NY, INC)
- WBDI (106.7 FM; COPENHAGEN, NY; Owner: FORCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WLLG (99.3 FM; LOWVILLE, NY; Owner: THE FLACK BROADCASTING GROUP L.L.C.)
- WSCP-FM (101.7 FM; PULASKI, NY; Owner: GALAXY COMMUNICATIONS, L.P.)
- WFRY-FM (97.5 FM; WATERTOWN, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF WATERTOWN, INC.)
- WUCL (93.5 FM; REMSEN, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WODZ-FM (96.1 FM; ROME, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF UTICA/ROME, INC.)
- WTOJ (103.1 FM; CARTHAGE, NY; Owner: CLANCY-MANCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBRV-FM (101.3 FM; BOONVILLE, NY; Owner: THE FLACK BROADCASTING GROUP L.L.C.)
- WMCR-FM (106.3 FM; ONEIDA, NY; Owner: WARREN BROADCASTING CO. INC.)
- WBGJ (100.3 FM; SYLVAN BEACH, NY; Owner: WOLF RADIO, INC.)
- WOUR (96.9 FM; UTICA, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WUNY (89.5 FM; UTICA, NY; Owner: PUBLIC BC COUNCIL OF CENTRAL NY, INC)
- WWJS (90.1 FM; WATERTOWN, NY; Owner: LIBERTY COMMUNICATIONS FAMILY B/G)
- WSLJ (88.9 FM; WATERTOWN, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
TV broadcast stations around Osceola:
- WSPX-TV (Channel 56; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: PAXSON SYRACUSE LICENSE, INC.)
- WPBS-TV (Channel 16; WATERTOWN, NY; Owner: ST. LAWRENCE VALLEY EDUCATIONAL TV COUNCIL, INC)
- WWTI (Channel 50; WATERTOWN, NY; Owner: CENTRAL NY NEWS, INC.)
- WFXV (Channel 33; UTICA, NY; Owner: QUORUM OF UTICA LICENSE, LLC)
- WWNY-TV (Channel 7; CARTHAGE, NY; Owner: UNITED COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WCNY-TV (Channel 24; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: PUBLIC BROADCASTING COUNCIL OF CENTRAL NEW YORK)
- WNYS-TV (Channel 43; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: RKM MEDIA, INC.)
Total length: 9 meters (30ft)
Total costs: $8,277,000
Total average daily traffic: 930
Total average daily truck traffic: 73
Total future (year 2015) average daily traffic: 1,282