We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||42.6 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 54847.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $26,416 (it was $15,017 in 2000)
Oulu town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $158,617 (it was $82,200 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $205,254; Detached houses: $213,014; Townhouses or other attached units: $287,231; In 2-unit structures: $179,002; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $305,243; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $224,774; Mobile homes: $85,007; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $34,499
Races in Oulu, WI (2010)
- 50595.8%White alone
- 61.1%Two or more races
- 40.8%American Indian alone
- 20.4%Black alone
- 20.4%Asian alone
Latest news from Oulu, WI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (21.9%), Swedish (9.6%), Norwegian (8.7%), Irish (8.3%), English (6.5%), Polish (4.8%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 998 feet
Land area: 35.5 square miles.
Population density: 15 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Oulu:
- High school or higher: 84.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.2%
- Unemployed: 9.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 32.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Oulu town:
- Never married: 24.5%
- Now married: 56.9%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 9.7%
- Divorced: 8.4%
2 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Oulu town:||1.1% ($900)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Duluth, MN (31.1 miles , pop. 86,918).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Paul, MN (139.4 miles , pop. 287,151).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (381.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Hughes, WI (2.5 miles ), Brule, WI (2.5 miles ), Tripp, WI (2.6 miles ), Orienta, WI (2.8 miles) , Iron River, WI (2.8 miles ), Maple, WI (3.1 miles ), Port Wing, WI (3.5 miles ), Lake Nebagamon, WI (3.5 miles ).
Latitude: 46.63 N, Longitude: 91.50 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 715
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (21%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (15%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Wood products (4%)
- Machinery (4%)
- Health care (19%)
- Accommodation and food services (17%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Food (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (13%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (7%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (5%)
- Other construction workers and helpers (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (4%)
- Extraction workers (3%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (5%)
- Food processing workers (5%)
- Waiters and waitresses (5%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (5%)
- Operations specialties managers except financial managers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Drafters, engineering, and mapping technicians (5%)
Average climate in Oulu, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Oulu-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Wisconsin state average. It is 77% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/6/1969, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 29.8 miles away from the Oulu town center killed 2 people and injured 3 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 9/3/1980, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 11.1 miles away from the town center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Oulu-area historical earthquake activity is significantly below Wisconsin state average. It is 96% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 227.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 238.9 miles away from Oulu center
On 10/20/1995 at 15:57:18, a magnitude 3.7 (3.7 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 263.1 miles away from the city center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 418.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 379.9 miles away from Oulu center
On 2/9/1994 at 08:45:35, a magnitude 3.1 (3.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 202.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Bayfield County (8) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 6, Storms: 4, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Mudslide: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Oulu:
- University of Wisconsin-Superior (about 29 miles; Superior, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,302)
- University of Minnesota-Duluth (about 31 miles; Duluth, MN; FT enrollment: 10,612)
- The College of Saint Scholastica (about 32 miles; Duluth, MN; FT enrollment: 3,762)
- Lake Superior College (about 33 miles; Duluth, MN; FT enrollment: 3,768)
- Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College (about 64 miles; Shell Lake, WI; FT enrollment: 2,414)
- University of Wisconsin-Stout (about 122 miles; Menomonie, WI; FT enrollment: 8,120)
- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire (about 127 miles; Eau Claire, WI; FT enrollment: 10,143)
Notable location: Oulu Townhall (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Oulu: Oulu Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Hillcrest Cemetery (1), Oulu Cemetery (2), Pine Glade Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creek: Muskeg Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Park in Oulu: Oula Pioneer Memorial Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 1.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Oulu town (based on Bayfield County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Bayfield County:||3.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Bayfield County:||8.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||26.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
5.52% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($49,643 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Ashland County, WI||0.88% ($28,127 average AGI)|
|from Douglas County, WI||0.58% ($40,111)|
|from St. Louis County, MN||0.26% ($37,500)|
4.70% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,601 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Oulu:
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- WDSM (710 AM; 10 kW; SUPERIOR, WI; Owner: MIDWEST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WWJC (850 AM; daytime; 10 kW; DULUTH, MN; Owner: WWJC, INC.)
- KDAL (610 AM; 5 kW; DULUTH, MN; Owner: MIDWEST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WHSM (910 AM; 5 kW; HAYWARD, WI; Owner: QB BROADCASTING, LTD.)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- WJMS (590 AM; 5 kW; IRONWOOD, MI; Owner: ROBERTS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KSTP (1500 AM; 50 kW; ST. PAUL, MN; Owner: KSTP-AM, LLC (DELAWARE))
- WNMT (650 AM; 10 kW; NASHWAUK, MN; Owner: MIDWEST RADIO NETWORK, L.L.C.)
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- KTIS (900 AM; 25 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
Strongest FM radio stations in Oulu:
- WHSA (89.9 FM; BRULE, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WNXR (107.3 FM; IRON RIVER, WI; Owner: GERALD J. HACKMAN)
- WEGZ (105.9 FM; WASHBURN, WI; Owner: KEWEENAW BAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KBMX (107.7 FM; PROCTOR, MN; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF DULUTH, INC.)
- WWAX (92.1 FM; HERMANTOWN, MN; Owner: RED ROCK RADIO CORP.)
- WSCN (100.5 FM; CLOQUET, MN; Owner: MINNESOTA PUBLIC RADIO)
- KDNI (90.5 FM; DULUTH, MN; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
- KQDS-FM (94.9 FM; DULUTH, MN; Owner: RED ROCK RADIO CORP.)
- KLDJ (101.7 FM; DULUTH, MN; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF DULUTH, INC.)
- KUMD-FM (103.3 FM; DULUTH, MN; Owner: REGENTS OF UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA)
- KDAL-FM (95.7 FM; DULUTH, MN; Owner: MIDWEST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KKCB (105.1 FM; DULUTH, MN; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF DULUTH, INC.)
- KUWS (91.3 FM; SUPERIOR, WI; Owner: BD. OF REGENTS, UNIV. OF WISC. SYS.)
- WSCD-FM (92.9 FM; DULUTH, MN; Owner: MINNESOTA PUBLIC RADIO)
- KTCO (98.9 FM; DULUTH, MN; Owner: MIDWEST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KRBR-FM (102.5 FM; SUPERIOR, WI; Owner: MIDWEST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KDNW (97.3 FM; DULUTH, MN; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
- WNCB (89.5 FM; DULUTH, MN; Owner: REFUGE MEDIA GROUP)
TV broadcast stations around Oulu:
- WDIO-TV (Channel 10; DULUTH, MN; Owner: WDIO-TV, LLC)
- KDLH (Channel 3; DULUTH, MN; Owner: CHELSEY BROADCASTING COMPANY OF DULUTH, LLC)
- KBJR-TV (Channel 6; SUPERIOR, WI; Owner: KBJR LICENSE, INC.)
- KQDS-TV (Channel 21; DULUTH, MN; Owner: KQDS ACQUISITION CORP.)
- WDSE-TV (Channel 8; DULUTH, MN; Owner: DULUTH-SUPERIOR AREA EDUCATIONAL TV CORPORATION)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 8m26ftTotal length
- 595Total average daily traffic
- 16Total average daily truck traffic
- 705Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (47%)
- Wood (28%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (18%)
- Electricity (8%)
Oulu compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.