Paint Creek, Kentucky
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||34.1 years|
|Kentucky median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 41472
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $17,933 (it was $13,604 in 2000)
Paint Creek CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $55,750 (it was $32,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $100,028; Detached houses: $121,897; Townhouses or other attached units: $105,275; Mobile homes: $58,863
Races in Paint Creek, KY (2000)
- 2,67198.9%White alone
- 120.4%Two or more races
- 10.04%American Indian alone
- 10.04%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
- Higher local employment numbers lead to higher payrolls, especially in finance Apr 15
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 110.0 square miles.
Population density: 25 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Paint Creek:
- High school or higher: 41.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 3.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.4%
- Unemployed: 6.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 36.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Paint Creek CCD:
- Never married: 19.5%
- Now married: 69.4%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 6.0%
- Divorced: 5.0%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Paint Creek CCD:||1.1% ($343)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Huntington, WV (48.7 miles , pop. 51,475).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fayette, KY (76.6 miles , pop. 260,512).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (363.3 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Flatgap, KY (2.9 miles ), West Liberty, KY (3.0 miles ), Sandy Hook, KY (3.3 miles ), Wrigley, KY (3.5 miles ), Isonville, KY (3.6 miles ), Salyersville, KY (3.6 miles ), Cannel City, KY (3.7 miles ), Blaine, KY (3.8 miles ).
Latitude: 37.94 N, Longitude: 83.09 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 606
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (17%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (7%)
- Repair and maintenance (6%)
- Wood products (6%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (5%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Health care (10%)
- Publishing, and motion picture and sound recording industries (10%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Social assistance (7%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (10%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (8%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (6%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Construction laborers (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (9%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (6%)
- Registered nurses (6%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Media and communication equipment workers (5%)
Average climate in Paint Creek, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Paint Creek-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Kentucky state average. It is 52% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/23/1968, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 55.1 miles away from the Paint Creek place center killed 7 people and injured 93 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 9/29/1972, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 3.5 miles away from the place center injured 3 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Paint Creek-area historical earthquake activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 49.8 miles away from the city center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 45.0 miles away from Paint Creek center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 262.9 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 155.5 miles away from the city center
On 11/23/2006 at 10:42:57, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG) earthquake occurred 81.7 miles away from Paint Creek center
On 11/2/2006 at 17:53:02, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 82.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Morgan County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 18
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 14, Storms: 12, Tornadoes: 7, Winter Storms: 7, Mudslides: 6, Landslides: 4, Winds: 3, Snowstorms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Freeze: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1, Snowfall: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Paint Creek:
- Big Sandy Community and Technical College (about 25 miles; Prestonsburg, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,660)
- Morehead State University (about 26 miles; Morehead, KY; FT enrollment: 7,523)
- Ashland Community and Technical College (about 44 miles; Ashland, KY; FT enrollment: 2,482)
- Hazard Community and Technical College (about 49 miles; Hazard, KY; FT enrollment: 2,087)
- Marshall University (about 50 miles; Huntington, WV; FT enrollment: 11,450)
- Shawnee State University (about 56 miles; Portsmouth, OH; FT enrollment: 4,160)
- Maysville Community and Technical College (about 62 miles; Maysville, KY; FT enrollment: 2,969)
Private high school in Paint Creek:
Public elementary/middle school in Paint Creek:
- MARIE ROBERTS-CANEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 294, Location: 115 RED SKIN RUN, Grades: PK-6)
Notable locations in Paint Creek: Peddler Gap Volunteer Fire Department (A), Peddler Gap 172 Volunteer Fire Department (B), White Oak Volunteer Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Paint Creek include: Lacy Creek Church of Enterprise Baptist (A), Martha Enterprise Baptist Church (B), New Salem Church (C), Open Fork Church (D), Paint Creek Church (E), Williams Creek Church (F), Paint Valley Church (G), Crockett Community Church (H), Faith Hills Mennonite Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Pelfery Cemetery (1), Cold Iron Cemetery (2), Conley Cemetery (3), Adkins Cemetery (4), Beculhimer Cemetery (5), Jenkins Cemetery (6), Brown Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Bear Branch (A), White Oak Branch (B), Big Mandy Creek (C), Birch Fork (D), Doc Ison Branch (E), Bolin Branch (F), Browns Branch (G), Browns Fork (H), Deadling Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 51.6. This is significantly better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 27.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 10.3. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 21.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 7.51. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 21.7 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.8 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
5 people in other group homes in 2000
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Paint Creek CCD (based on Morgan County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Morgan County:||4.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|Morgan County:||2.81 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||0.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|Morgan County:||6.33 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||2.81 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
4.41% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($25,648 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
4.28% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,631 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Paint Creek:
- WKYH (600 AM; 5 kW; PAINTSVILLE, KY; Owner: HIGHLANDS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WPRT (960 AM; 5 kW; PRESTONSBURG, KY; Owner: EAST KENTUCKY RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
- WMTC (730 AM; 5 kW; VANCLEVE, KY; Owner: THE KENTUCKY MOUNTAIN HOLINESS ASSN.)
- WLKS (1450 AM; 1 kW; WEST LIBERTY, KY; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY INDUSTRIES, INC.)
- WEKG (810 AM; daytime; 5 kW; JACKSON, KY; Owner: INTERMOUNTAIN B/CING CO., INC.)
- WDOC (1310 AM; 5 kW; PRESTONSBURG, KY)
- WTVN (610 AM; 50 kW; COLUMBUS, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WRLV (1140 AM; daytime; 1 kW; SALYERSVILLE, KY; Owner: WALLINGFORD BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGOH (1370 AM; 5 kW; GRAYSON, KY; Owner: CARTER COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WVHU (800 AM; 5 kW; HUNTINGTON, WV; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Paint Creek:
- WKLW-FM (94.7 FM; PAINTSVILLE, KY; Owner: B & G BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WQHY (95.5 FM; PRESTONSBURG, KY; Owner: WDOC, INC.)
- WMKY (90.3 FM; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: MOREHEAD STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WRLV-FM (106.5 FM; SALYERSVILLE, KY; Owner: WALLINGFORD BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WSIP-FM (98.9 FM; PAINTSVILLE, KY; Owner: SIP BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WLKS-FM (102.9 FM; WEST LIBERTY, KY; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY INDUSTRIES, INC.)
- WJSN-FM (106.5 FM; JACKSON, KY; Owner: INTERMOUNTAIN BROADCASTING CO.)
- WSGS (101.1 FM; HAZARD, KY; Owner: MOUNTAIN BROADCASTING SERVICE, INC.)
- WBMK (88.5 FM; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WPAY-FM (104.1 FM; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: RADIO STATIONS WPAY/WPFB, INC.)
- WZQQ (97.9 FM; HYDEN, KY; Owner: LESLIE COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WJMD (104.7 FM; HAZARD, KY; Owner: HAZARD BROADCASTING SERVICES)
- WXLR (104.9 FM; HAROLD, KY; Owner: ADAM D GEARHEART)
- WXKZ-FM (105.3 FM; PRESTONSBURG, KY; Owner: ADAM GEARHEART D/B/A WXLR-FM)
- WQXX (106.1 FM; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY INDUSTRIES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Paint Creek:
- WUPX-TV (Channel 67; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: PAXSON LEXINGTON LICENSE, INC.)
- W26BK (Channel 26; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W16BI (Channel 16; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WKMR (Channel 38; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- WLJC-TV (Channel 65; BEATTYVILLE, KY; Owner: HOUR OF HARVEST, INC.)
- W64CM (Channel 64; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W66DA (Channel 66; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (39%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (32%)
- Coal or coke (11%)
- Wood (10%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (3%)
- Utility gas (3%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Paint Creek compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Paint Creek on our top lists:
- #60 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in other workers' dormitories (population 1,000+)"