|Median resident age:||40.8 years|
|Illinois median age:||39.6 years|
Zip codes: 62451.
Palestine village income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $44,796 (it was $41,600 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $602.
- White alone - 1,335 (97.5%)
- Two or more races - 10 (0.7%)
- Hispanic - 9 (0.7%)
- Black alone - 8 (0.6%)
- Asian alone - 5 (0.4%)
- American Indian alone - 2 (0.1%)
|Guns and Shootings in Chicago: Here's the problem... (52 replies)|
|Is Berwyn potentially the next Oak Park? (94 replies)|
|Jewish Family looking to weigh value Naperville vs. North Shore (34 replies)|
|Chicago's historically poor white neighborhood(s) (60 replies)|
|Living in Highland Park as a minority (49 replies)|
|Will Jack in the Box ever return to Chicagoland? (26 replies)|
Latest news from Palestine, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (22.3%), United States (21.3%), Irish (16.9%), English (7.8%), Dutch (2.2%), French (1.7%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 02/15/1855
Elevation: 450 feet
Land area: 0.75 square miles.
Population density: 1,795 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Palestine:
- High school or higher: 87.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.1%
- Unemployed: 7.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 19.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Palestine village:
- Never married: 21.6%
- Now married: 51.5%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 10.3%
- Divorced: 14.7%
11 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Illinois and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Palestine, Illinois as of April 19, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Palestine to the number of sex offenders is 269 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $886 (1.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $752 (1.5%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Terre Haute, IN (34.5 miles , pop. 59,614).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Indianapolis, IN (95.4 miles , pop. 781,870).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (196.4 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Merom, IN (2.1 miles ), Robinson, IL (2.6 miles ), Flat Rock, IL (2.8 miles ), Hutsonville, IL (2.8 miles ), Carlisle, IN (3.4 miles ), Birds, IL (3.4 miles) , Stoy, IL (3.5 miles) , West York, IL (3.5 miles) .
Latitude: 39.00 N, Longitude: 87.61 W
Area code: 618
|Crime rates in Palestine by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 301.1)||252.2||246.9||89.2||90.2||299.7||259.5||364.5||276.4||250.4||237.4||55.4||238.0||112.2|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Palestine detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.46|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (32%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Construction (9%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Transportation and warehousing (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (27%)
- Manufacturing (21%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (7%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (12%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (7%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
Average climate in Palestine, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Palestine-area historical tornado activity is near Illinois state average. It is 53% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/2/1990, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 22.2 miles away from the Palestine village center injured 6 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 1/7/1989, a category F4 tornado 28.2 miles away from the village center injured 55 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Palestine-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Illinois state average. It is 77% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 40.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 19.3 miles away from Palestine center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 70.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 38.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/3/1974 at 23:05:02, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG) earthquake occurred 38.5 miles away from Palestine center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 164.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Crawford County (7) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 5, Floods: 4, Tornadoes: 2, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Fred Dubois - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers near Palestine:
- COTILLION RIDGE NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; ROBINSON, IL)
- SOUTH HAVEN HOME (Hospital, about 8 miles away; ROBINSON, IL)
- CRAWFORD MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 8 miles away; ROBINSON, IL)
- CRAWFORD MEMORIAL HOSPITAL LTC (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; ROBINSON, IL)
- ROBINSON DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 8 miles away; ROBINSON, IL)
- FOUR RIVERS RESOURCE SERVICES (Hospital, about 13 miles away; SULLIVAN, IN)
- MILLER'S MERRY MANOR (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; SULLIVAN, IN)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Palestine:
- Vincennes University (about 23 miles; Vincennes, IN; Full-time enrollment: 9,876)
- Indiana State University (about 35 miles; Terre Haute, IN; FT enrollment: 10,925)
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (about 37 miles; Terre Haute, IN; FT enrollment: 2,123)
- Wabash Valley College (about 41 miles; Mount Carmel, IL; FT enrollment: 2,142)
- Eastern Illinois University (about 45 miles; Charleston, IL; FT enrollment: 9,414)
- Lake Land College (about 51 miles; Mattoon, IL; FT enrollment: 7,499)
- Indiana University-Bloomington (about 60 miles; Bloomington, IN; FT enrollment: 39,039)
Public high school in Palestine:
- Palestine High School (Location: 102 N Main St; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Palestine:
- Palestine Grade School (Location: 205 S Washington St; Grades: PK-8)
Notable locations in Palestine: Palestine Public Library (A), Lamotte Township Fire Protection District (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Kitchell Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: Fife Opera House (123 South Main St).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 78.1. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 31.6. This is about average. Closest monitor was 4.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2011 was 11.5. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 19.3 miles away from the city center.
(15.8% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents, 39.1% for two or more races residents)
|This village:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Palestine compared to Illinois state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Banks with branches in Palestine (2011 data):
- Regions Bank: Palestine Branch at 101 North Main Street, branch established on 1898/01/01. Info updated 2011/02/24: Bank assets: $123,368.2 mil, Deposits: $98,301.3 mil, headquarters in Birmingham, AL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1778 total offices, Holding Company: Regions Financial Corporation
- First Robinson Savings Bank, National Association: East Grand Prairie Branch at 119 East Grand Prairie, branch established on 1996/06/30. Info updated 2008/10/08: Bank assets: $221.3 mil, Deposits: $185.1 mil, headquarters in Robinson, IL, positive income, 5 total offices, Holding Company: First Robinson Financial Corporation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (82%)
- Electricity (15%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
- Wood (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Palestine village (based on Crawford County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 51.76%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||United Methodist Church||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Southern Baptist Convention||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Catholic Church|
|Name||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Assemblies of God||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Churches of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Crawford County:||3.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Crawford County:||3.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||1||$1,816|
|Police Protection - Officers||2||$6,666||$39,996||2||$912|
|Streets and Highways||2||$4,792||$28,752||1||$1,045|
|Other and Unallocable||2||$2,516||$15,096||1||$407|
|Totals for Government||6||$13,974||$27,948||5||$4,180|
Palestine government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Police Protection: $141,000 ($105.38)
Financial Administration: $120,000 ($89.69)
Regular Highways: $63,000 ($47.09)
Sewerage: $47,000 ($35.13)
General - Other: $40,000 ($29.90)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $206,000 ($153.96)
Palestine government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $72,000 ($53.81)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $29,000 ($21.67)
Interest Earnings: $27,000 ($20.18)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $159,000 ($118.83)
Highways: $40,000 ($29.90)
- Tax - Property: $46,000 ($34.38)
NEC: $10,000 ($7.47)
Palestine government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $488,000 ($364.72)
3.48% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,658 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Lawrence County, IL||0.27% ($20,619 average AGI)|
|from Clark County, IL||0.24% ($30,000)|
|from Jasper County, IL||0.17% ($27,846)|
3.64% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($37,362 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Palestine:
- WIBC (1070 AM; 50 kW; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- WPFR (1480 AM; 5 kW; TERRE HAUTE, IN)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTAY (1570 AM; 0 kW; ROBINSON, IL; Owner: ANN BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WAOV (1450 AM; 1 kW; VINCENNES, IN; Owner: OLD NORTHWEST BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WLBH (1170 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MATTOON, IL; Owner: MATTOON BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Palestine:
- WTYE (101.7 FM; ROBINSON, IL; Owner: ANN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WQTY (93.3 FM; LINTON, IN; Owner: THE ORIGINAL COMPANY, INC.)
- WNDI-FM (95.3 FM; SULLIVAN, IN; Owner: J T M BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBOW-FM (102.7 FM; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: CROSSROADS INVESTMENTS, LLC)
- WUZR (105.7 FM; BICKNELL, IN; Owner: OLD NORTHWEST BROADCASTING INC.)
- WVUB (91.1 FM; VINCENNES, IN; Owner: VINCENNES UNIVERSITY)
- WMMC (105.9 FM; MARSHALL, IL; Owner: JDL BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WFML (96.7 FM; VINCENNES, IN; Owner: THE VINCENNES UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION, INC.)
- WAKO-FM (103.1 FM; LAWRENCEVILLE, IL; Owner: LAWRENCEVILLE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WZDM (92.1 FM; VINCENNES, IN; Owner: OLD NORTHWEST BROADCASTING INC.)
- WATI (89.9 FM; VINCENNES, IN; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WCBH (104.3 FM; CASEY, IL; Owner: TWO PETAZ, INC.)
- WUSI (90.3 FM; OLNEY, IL; Owner: BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF S. ILL. UNIVER.)
TV broadcast stations around Palestine:
- WTWO (Channel 2; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF THE MIDWEST, INC.)
- WBAK-TV (Channel 38; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: INDIANA BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- WTHI-TV (Channel 10; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: EMMIS TELEVISION LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WUSI-TV (Channel 16; OLNEY, IL; Owner: BD. OF TRUSTEES SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY)
- W57AO (Channel 57; ROBINSON, IL; Owner: FULL GOS. BUS. MENS. FELLOW INTL.)
- WVUT (Channel 22; VINCENNES, IN; Owner: BOARD OF TRUSTEES FOR THE VINCENNES UNIV.)
Palestine fatal accident list:
Oct 25, 1985 01:39 PM, 33, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Total length: 0 meters
Total average daily traffic: 1,000
Total average daily truck traffic: 80
Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic: 1,007
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Palestine)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:4
- 106 Harrison St (Lat: 39.007556 Lon: -87.611694), Call Sign: KNFY414
Assigned Frequencies: 154.205 MHz, 154.430 MHz
Grant Date: 08/15/2012, Expiration Date: 07/06/2022
Registrant: 3781 N State Highway 1, Flat Rock, IL 62427, Phone: (618) 584-3371, Fax: (618) 584-3372, Email:
- 3 Mi E .25 Mi N Rt 1 & Duncanville Rd (Lat: 38.960333 Lon: -87.633083), Call Sign: WFV545
Assigned Frequencies: 469.625 MHz
Grant Date: 06/23/1999, Expiration Date: 06/07/2004, Cancellation Date: 08/08/2004
Registrant: Max V Fulling, Rr 1, Palestine, IL 62451
- Icgrr Yd Office N Side Icg Main 100 E Of East Main St (Lat: 39.007000 Lon: -87.609750), Call Sign: KQY652, Licensee ID: L00013390
Assigned Frequencies: 160.920 MHz, 161.190 MHz, 161.280 MHz, 161.460 MHz
Grant Date: 02/05/1997, Expiration Date: 03/12/2002, Cancellation Date: 01/11/2002
Registrant: Illinois Central Gulf Railroad Co, 17641 S Ashland Ave, Homewood, IL 60430, Phone: (708) 206-3500
- 10106 N 1725th Street (Lat: 39.005278 Lon: -87.630278), Call Sign: WQAW757
Assigned Frequencies: 452.412 MHz, 457.412 MHz, 451.287 MHz, 456.287 MHz
Grant Date: 08/19/2004, Expiration Date: 08/19/2014, Certifier: Darrell Blackmore
Registrant: Pros, Ltd, 5219 Adairville Road, Franklin, KY 42135-0195, Phone: (270) 586-7864
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:15 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Palestine)
FAA Registered Aircraft:5
- Aircraft: FLUG UND FAHRZEUGWERKE AG HBV DIAMANT (Category: Land, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 60 mph), Engine: None
N-Number: 11HS , Serial Number: 009, Year manufactured: 1967, Airworthiness Date: 03/23/1978
Registrant (Individual): Dennis A Harmon, Rr 1 Box 331, Palestine, IL 62451
- Aircraft: PIPER PA-12 (Category: Land, Seats: 3, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 82 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-290 SERIES (140 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 3051M , Serial Number: 12-1580, Year manufactured: 1947, Airworthiness Date: 06/01/1956
Registrant (Co-Owned): Mark E Shaw, 4241 N St Hwy 33, Palestine, IL 62451, Other Owners: Jackie L Shaw
- Aircraft: ROBINSON HELICOPTER R22 BETA (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 40374 , Serial Number: 1668, Year manufactured: 1991, Airworthiness Date: 01/24/1991
Registrant (Individual): Reported Sale, 10748 N 1650st, Palestine, IL 62451
- Aircraft: REPUBLIC RC-3 (Category: Amphibian, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 87 mph), Engine: FRANKLIN 6A8 SERIES (215 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 6442K , Serial Number: 692, Year manufactured: 1947, Airworthiness Date: 08/28/1953
Registrant (Individual): Reported Sale, Box 96, Palestine, IL 62451
- Aircraft: BURGOYNE BEN FALCO F8L (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: LYCOMING IO-320 SERIES (150 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 7B , Serial Number: 651917, Year manufactured: 1989, Airworthiness Date: 09/12/1989
Registrant (Individual): David A Shaw, 17594 E 500th Ave, Palestine, IL 62451
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 17
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Incident types - Palestine
|Most common first names in Palestine, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Palestine, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Businesses in Palestine, IL
- True Value: 1
Palestine on our top lists:
- #20 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Petroleum and coal products"
- #58 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest city-data.com crime index increase from 2000-2002 average to 2006"
- #67 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Electrical equipment, appliances, and components"
- #78 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Miscellaneous manufacturing"
- #32 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest percentage of residents relocating to other counties in 2006"
- #44 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest percentage of residents relocating from other counties between 2005 and 2006"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2015.