We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||45.2 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04443.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $18,030 (it was $11,965 in 2000)
Parkman town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $105,134 (it was $63,600 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $146,333; Detached houses: $158,409; Townhouses or other attached units: $192,170; In 2-unit structures: $150,318; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $86,534; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $328,038; Mobile homes: $49,046
Races in Parkman, ME (2010)
- 81096.1%White alone
- 50.6%Two or more races
- 40.5%American Indian alone
- 10.1%Black alone
- 10.1%Asian alone
|still truckin', 60's hippies moving to Maine (93 replies)|
|Photos of Maine (4312 replies)|
|How do people afford to live in Maine (111 replies)|
|UPDATE'S, Where are you in life, and your move to Maine (1003 replies)|
|I found this shocking (32 replies)|
|Feedback on Harmony, ME (14 replies)|
Latest news from Parkman, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (24.4%), United States (17.6%), Irish (16.4%), French (16.3%), German (9.4%), Italian (5.7%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 01/29/1822
Elevation: 576 feet
Land area: 45.5 square miles.
Population density: 19 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Parkman:
- High school or higher: 74.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.5%
- Unemployed: 8.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Parkman town:
- Never married: 17.6%
- Now married: 64.0%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 9.6%
13 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Parkman town:||1.0% ($650)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (109.1 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (210.8 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (371.4 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Guilford, ME (2.0 miles ), Abbot, ME (2.3 miles ), Sangerville, ME (2.5 miles ), Cambridge, ME (2.6 miles ), Wellington, ME (2.7 miles ), Ripley, ME (3.0 miles ), Dexter, ME (3.2 miles ), Dover-Foxcroft, ME (3.3 miles ).
Latitude: 45.13 N, Longitude: 69.44 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (14%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (12%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (12%)
- Textile mills and textile products (10%)
- Wood products (5%)
- Truck transportation (5%)
- Leather and allied products (5%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (16%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Textile mills and textile products (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Leather and allied products (6%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (6%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (6%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (5%)
- Construction laborers (5%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (11%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
Average climate in Parkman, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Parkman-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 93% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 214.7 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 255.1 miles away from Parkman center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 155.3 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 83.3 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 44.9 miles away from Parkman center
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi) earthquake occurred 129.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Piscataquis County (20) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 11, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Victor A. McKusick - geneticist, author of Mendelian Inheritance in Man.
Hospitals and medical centers near Parkman:
- DEXTER HEALTH CARE (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; DEXTER, ME)
- MAYO REGIONAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 11 miles away; DOVER FOXCROFT, ME)
- HIBBARD NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; DOVER FOXCROFT, ME)
- SQUARE ROAD GROUP HOME (Hospital, about 16 miles away; SAINT ALBANS, ME)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Parkman:
- Husson University (about 38 miles; Bangor, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine (about 41 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 48 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 58 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 104 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 110 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 110 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
Church in Parkman: Parkman Baptist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Parkman Corner Cemetery (1), Pingree Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Bennett Pond (A), Gilbert Pond (B), Harlow Pond (C), Mud Pond (D), Manhanock Pond (E), Pingree Pond (F), Austin Bog (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Pingree Center Stream (A), Carlton Stream (B), Brewster Brook (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2010 was 36.1. This is significantly better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2001 was 28.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 11.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2010 was 5.04. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 24.6 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Parkman town (based on Piscataquis County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Piscataquis County:||5.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Piscataquis County:||4.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Piscataquis County:||8.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.65% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,622 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||2.00% ($26,472 average AGI)|
|from Somerset County, ME||0.36% ($34,864)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.28% ($48,588)|
6.17% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,622 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Parkman:
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Parkman:
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WGUY (102.1 FM; DEXTER, ME; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WDME-FM (103.1 FM; DOVER-FOXCROFT, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WWBX (97.1 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WHQO (107.9 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WBFB (104.7 FM; BELFAST, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WJCX (99.5 FM; PITTSFIELD, ME; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
- WCTB (93.5 FM; FAIRFIELD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Parkman:
- W27CE (Channel 19; DOVER-FOXCROFT, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Parkman fatal accident list:
Aug 22, 2009 06:30 PM, Sr-150, Lat: 45.06152, Lon: -69.45866, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Mar 8, 2003 04:20 AM, Sr-150, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Mar 6, 2002 10:54 AM, Sr-150, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
Nov 22, 1989 02:16 PM, 60036004, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 2m7ftTotal length
- $170,000Total costs
- 99Total average daily traffic
- 4Total average daily truck traffic
- 149Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: N1SYW, Licensee ID: L01158867, Grant Date: 06/06/2006, Expiration Date: 06/06/2016, Registrant: Marvin S Wilhite, 32 Sate Hwy 150, Parkman, ME 04443
- Call Sign: KB1IHI, Licensee ID: L00510067, Grant Date: 05/01/2002, Expiration Date: 05/01/2012, Cancellation Date: 05/02/2014, Certifier: David M Hession, Registrant: David M Hession, 65 Landers Rd, Parkman, ME 04443
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 5
- Hazardous Condition: 5
Incident types - Parkman
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (65%)
- Wood (30%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
- Electricity (1%)
Parkman compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.