Pawnee City, Nebraska
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||51.8 years|
|Nebraska median age:||36.3 years|
Zip codes: 68420.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $19,677 (it was $17,386 in 2000)
Pawnee City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $46,963 (it was $30,300 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $89,856; Detached houses: $93,648; Mobile homes: $13,035
Median gross rent in 2013: $423.
Races in Pawnee City, NE (2010)
- 83695.2%White alone
- 171.9%Two or more races
- 30.3%American Indian alone
- 20.2%Black alone
- 20.2%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Higher-educated people are more likely to have a second job Jun 23
- Who wants to legalize marijuana in the United States? Jun 21
- From rich to super-rich: do you pay lower taxes? Jun 19
- Well-educated parents are more likely to stay together Jun 17
- Leisure time: do Americans spend it differently this decade? Jun 15
|Peyton Manning, greatest NFL Quarterback of All Time, loves Omaha (43 replies)|
|Inside Werner Park! (19 replies)|
|What Nebraska city do YOU live in? (80 replies)|
|Nebraska Icon's (22 replies)|
|Wine trail (7 replies)|
|Nebraska Wineries (22 replies)|
Latest news from Pawnee City, NE collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (36.7%), English (12.2%), Irish (11.5%), Czech (5.6%), Swedish (3.7%), Dutch (3.2%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on approx. 1858
Elevation: 1180 feet
Land area: 1.17 square miles.
Population density: 720 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Pawnee City:
- High school or higher: 86.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.1%
- Unemployed: 4.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 17.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pawnee City city:
- Never married: 19.7%
- Now married: 55.7%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 12.7%
- Divorced: 10.0%
3 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $1,006 (1.3%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $594 (1.9%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Lincoln, NE (55.6 miles , pop. 225,581).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (458.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Table Rock, NE (2.4 miles ), Du Bois, NE (2.8 miles) , Steinauer, NE (2.8 miles) , Burchard, NE (3.3 miles) , Humboldt, NE (3.4 miles ), Elk Creek, NE (3.5 miles) , Summerfield, KS (3.6 miles ), Bern, KS (3.8 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $90,000
- 1998: 1 building, cost: $70,000
- 1999: 3 buildings, average cost: $45,000
- 2000: 2 buildings, average cost: $33,500
- 2002: 4 buildings, average cost: $155,600
- 2004: 1 building, cost: $80,000
- 2006: 1 building, cost: $165,000
- 2007: 5 buildings, average cost: $132,000
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $124,500
- 2012: 3 buildings, average cost: $73,300
- 2013: 3 buildings, average cost: $240,900
- 2014: 2 buildings, average cost: $150,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 40.11 N, Longitude: 96.15 W
Area code: 402
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (28%)
- Manufacturing (28%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Health care and social assistance (7%)
- Retail trade (6%)
- Transportation and warehousing (6%)
- Other services, except public administration (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (35%)
- Educational services (20%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Public administration (11%)
- Manufacturing (11%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (3%)
- Accommodation and food services (3%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (18%)
- Management occupations (17%)
- Production occupations (16%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (7%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (7%)
- Transportation occupations (6%)
- Material moving occupations (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (22%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (20%)
- Sales and related occupations (13%)
- Healthcare support occupations (11%)
- Management occupations (6%)
- Material moving occupations (6%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (5%)
Average climate in Pawnee City, Nebraska
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Pawnee City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Nebraska state average. It is 91% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/22/2004, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 42.8 miles away from the Pawnee City city center killed one person and injured 38 people and caused $160 million in damages.
On 4/28/1963, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 23.6 miles away from the city center killed one person and injured 8 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Pawnee City-area historical earthquake activity is below Nebraska state average. It is 73% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/16/2004 at 12:17:30, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 MW, 3.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 48.2 miles away from the city center
On 11/3/2002 at 20:41:56, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 232.4 miles away from Pawnee City center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 457.1 miles away from the city center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 329.2 miles away from the city center
On 3/23/2007 at 08:15:49, a magnitude 3.1 (3.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 62.2 miles away from Pawnee City center
On 2/11/1995 at 05:54:10, a magnitude 3.1 (3.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 69.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Pawnee County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 10, Tornadoes: 5, Winter Storms: 3, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: John A. Eddy - Astronomer, Larry the Cable Guy - Stand-up comedian, Irish McCalla - Film and television actress, Lavon Heidemann - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers in Pawnee City:
airports located in Pawnee City:
- Pawnee City Municipal Airport (50K) (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 325, Local Ops: 495, Military Ops: 24)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Pawnee City:
- Highland Community College (about 50 miles; Highland, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,148)
- Southeast Community College Area (about 55 miles; Lincoln, NE; FT enrollment: 8,838)
- Nebraska Wesleyan University (about 57 miles; Lincoln, NE; FT enrollment: 2,072)
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln (about 58 miles; Lincoln, NE; FT enrollment: 20,817)
- Kansas State University (about 68 miles; Manhattan, KS; FT enrollment: 20,703)
- Northwest Missouri State University (about 70 miles; Maryville, MO; FT enrollment: 5,946)
- Bellevue University (about 73 miles; Bellevue, NE; FT enrollment: 7,139)
Public high school in Pawnee City:
- PAWNEE CITY SECONDARY SCHOOL (Location: 729 E ST, Grades: 7-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Pawnee City:
- PAWNEE CITY ELEMENTARY SCH (Location: 729 E ST, Grades: PK-6)
Notable locations in Pawnee City: Pawnee City (A), Schilling Grain Incorporated Elevator (B), Pawnee County Fairground (C), Pawnee County Sheriffs Office (D), Pawnee County Courthouse (E), Pawnee City Historical Society Museum (F), Pawnee City Carnegie Public Library (G), Pawnee City Fire Department (H), Pawnee County Ambulance Incorporation (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Pawnee City include: Christian Church (A), United Methodist Church (B), United Presbyterian Church (C), Faith Baptist Church (D), First Baptist Church (E), Zion Lutheran Church (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Pawnee City: South Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Hotel: Pawnee Inn (1023 F Street).
(32.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 27.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.0 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
54 people in nursing homes in 2000
Banks with branches in Pawnee City (2011 data):
- Union Bank and Trust Company: Pawnee City Branch at 514 G Street, branch established on 1927/01/01. Info updated 2006/06/06: Bank assets: $2,481.6 mil, Deposits: $2,115.9 mil, headquarters in Lincoln, NE, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 37 total offices, Holding Company: Farmers & Merchants Investment, Inc.
- State Bank of Table Rock: Pawnee City Branch at 650 G Street, branch established on 1995/11/17. Info updated 2011/07/07: Bank assets: $50.4 mil, Deposits: $37.3 mil, headquarters in Table Rock, NE, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Duroc Investment Company
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Pawnee City city (based on Pawnee County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Pawnee County:||3.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|Nebraska:||2.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pawnee County:||3.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.76 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Pawnee City, NE Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||5||$1,529|
|Streets and Highways||1||$2,781||$33,372||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||2||$5,362||$32,172||1||$1,107|
|Totals for Government||7||$18,667||$32,001||7||$3,752|
Pawnee City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Parks & Recreation: $85,000 ($100.83)
Regular Highways: $73,000 ($86.60)
Water Utilities: $59,000 ($69.99)
Solid Waste Management: $56,000 ($66.43)
Sewerage: $50,000 ($59.31)
Central Staff Services: $33,000 ($39.15)
Financial Administration: $25,000 ($29.66)
Police Protection: $21,000 ($24.91)
Welfare - Other: $15,000 ($17.79)
Fire Protection: $14,000 ($16.61)
Air Transportation: $8,000 ($9.49)
General Public Buildings: $5,000 ($5.93)
- Other Capital Outlay - Parks & Recreation: $50,000 ($59.31)
Regular Highways: $41,000 ($48.64)
Welfare - Other: $10,000 ($11.86)
Sewerage: $9,000 ($10.68)
Water Utilities: $2,000 ($2.37)
Police Protection: $2,000 ($2.37)
Air Transportation: $2,000 ($2.37)
Fire Protection: $1,000 ($1.19)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $249,000 ($295.37)
Pawnee City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $56,000 ($66.43)
Sewerage: $50,000 ($59.31)
All Other: $39,000 ($46.26)
Parks & Recreation: $30,000 ($35.59)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Support: $25,000 ($29.66)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $215,000 ($255.04)
Interest Earnings: $29,000 ($34.40)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $60,000 ($71.17)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $89,000 ($105.58)
General Support: $73,000 ($86.60)
All Other: $47,000 ($55.75)
- Tax - NEC: $118,000 ($139.98)
Property: $72,000 ($85.41)
Pawnee City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Issue, Unspecified - Other NEC: $5,000 ($5.93)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $5,000 ($5.93)
Pawnee City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $1,449,000 ($1718.86)
5.45% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,136 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Richardson County, NE||0.92% ($29,900 average AGI)|
5.10% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,455 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
|to Lancaster County, NE||0.93% ($43,500 average AGI)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Pawnee City:
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KYDZ (1180 AM; 25 kW; BELLEVUE, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KKHK (1250 AM; 25 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS)
- KYFR (920 AM; 5 kW; SHENANDOAH, IA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WIBW (580 AM; 5 kW; TOPEKA, KS; Owner: MCC RADIO, LLC)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KMA (960 AM; 5 kW; SHENANDOAH, IA; Owner: KMA BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KFEQ (680 AM; 5 kW; ST. JOSEPH, MO; Owner: EAGLE RADIO, INC.)
- KCMO (710 AM; 10 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: SUSQUEHANNA KANSAS CITY PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Pawnee City:
- KMZA (92.1 FM; SENECA, KS; Owner: KNZA, INC.)
- K219CE (91.7 FM; FALLS CITY, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMM.)
TV broadcast stations around Pawnee City:
- K46FG (Channel 46; FALLS CITY, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA EDTV COMMISSION)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:5
- Call Sign: W0CQQ, Licensee ID: L01057477, Grant Date: 08/30/2005, Expiration Date: 11/28/2015, Certifier: William C Welch, Registrant: William C Welch, 623 7th St, Pawnee City, NE 68420
- Call Sign: WA0NEE, Licensee ID: L01339772, Grant Date: 11/07/2007, Expiration Date: 01/30/2018, Certifier: Laura Mort, Registrant: Laura Mort, 604 I St, Pawnee City, NE 68420
- Call Sign: WA0NEF, Licensee ID: L01339776, Grant Date: 11/07/2007, Expiration Date: 01/30/2018, Certifier: Kenneth C Mort, Registrant: Kenneth C Mort, 604 I St, Pawnee City, NE 68420
- Call Sign: KC0VUX, Licensee ID: L01112772, Grant Date: 11/17/2015, Expiration Date: 01/31/2026, Certifier: Larry L Bradbury, Registrant: Larry L Bradbury, 70577 620 Ave, Pawnee City, NE 68420
- Call Sign: KD0NUG, Licensee ID: L01616246, Grant Date: 03/09/2011, Expiration Date: 03/09/2021, Certifier: James J Vlasak, Registrant: James J Vlasak, Pawnee City, NE 68420
Drinking water stations with addresses in Pawnee City and their reported violations in the past:PAWNEE CITY, CITY OF (Population served: 968, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In SEP-2013, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (SEP-23-2013), St Violation/Reminder Notice (SEP-23-2013), St Public Notif received (OCT-04-2013)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Pawnee City that have no violations reported:
- PAWNEE CO RWD 1 (Population served: 1,500, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 9
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Incident types - Pawnee City
|Most common first names in Pawnee City, NE among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Pawnee City, NE among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (65%)
- Electricity (27%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
- Wood (4%)
Businesses in Pawnee City, NE
- Subway: 1
- True Value: 1
Pawnee City compared to Nebraska state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.