Paxton: Paxton Carnegie Library, S. Market and W. Orleans
Paxton: One of many churches, the United Methodist, at Center and Taft.
Paxton: Just Hamburgers. Great burgers, etc., carryout only. South end on Rt. 45. at Ottawa St.
Paxton: Downtown Paxton. South on Market Street
Paxton: Paxton is graced with several beautifully restored and well maintained historical homes.
Paxton: Tin Pan Restaurant. Good food, reasonable prices, salad bar, cold beer in ice as you walk in.
Paxton: Ford County Courthouse
Paxton: Pells Park
Paxton: Pells Park in the Fall
Paxton: Dads Frozen Custard. Get dessert here!
Paxton: Skyline, old water tower, now a museum of local history.
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||39.5 years|
|Illinois median age:||37.2 years|
Zip codes: 60957.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $25,394 (it was $18,617 in 2000)
Paxton city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $83,637 (it was $68,800 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $102,521; Detached houses: $106,365; Townhouses or other attached units: $46,762; Mobile homes: $20,601
Median gross rent in 2013: $637.
Races in Paxton, IL (2010)
- 4,27495.6%White alone
- 370.8%Black alone
- 300.7%Two or more races
- 70.2%American Indian alone
- 80.2%Asian alone
- 60.1%Other race alone
|How is Chicago (minus the winter)? (31 replies)|
|renting in paxton please!!! (6 replies)|
|Moving from LA to Urbana-Champaign (46 replies)|
|Chambana or Mahomet/Monticello (6 replies)|
|Memories of Jeffrey Manor?? (37 replies)|
|Northside Hillbilly (57 replies)|
Latest news from Paxton, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (25.6%), United States (17.9%), Irish (14.5%), English (8.2%), Swedish (4.4%), French (2.9%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 11/11/1872
Elevation: 800 feet
Land area: 2.23 square miles.
Population density: 1,983 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Paxton:
- High school or higher: 87.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.1%
- Unemployed: 3.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Paxton city:
- Never married: 22.1%
- Now married: 55.2%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 11.1%
- Divorced: 10.7%
39 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Illinois and other state lists there were 10 registered sex offenders living in Paxton, Illinois as of September 01, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Paxton to the number of sex offenders is 445 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $2,263 (2.7%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $2,108 (2.6%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Champaign, IL (25.5 miles , pop. 67,518).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Chicago, IL (98.0 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Loda, IL (2.0 miles ), Ludlow, IL (2.3 miles ), Elliott, IL (3.0 miles ), Buckley, IL (3.2 miles ), Rankin, IL (3.2 miles ), Rantoul, IL (3.3 miles ), Melvin, IL (3.3 miles ), Gifford, IL (3.3 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 9 buildings, average cost: $96,100
- 1998: 9 buildings, average cost: $65,900
- 1999: 11 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2000: 11 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2001: 9 buildings, average cost: $79,300
- 2002: 6 buildings, average cost: $33,300
- 2003: 6 buildings, average cost: $108,300
- 2004: 7 buildings, average cost: $74,300
- 2005: 2 buildings, average cost: $105,000
- 2006: 12 buildings, average cost: $97,900
- 2007: 3 buildings, average cost: $266,700
- 2008: 2 buildings, average cost: $200,000
- 2009: 6 buildings, average cost: $96,700
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $137,500
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $222,500
- 2012: 4 buildings, average cost: $177,700
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 40.46 N, Longitude: 88.10 W
Area code: 217
|Crime rates in Paxton by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 294.7)||144.9||165.4||165.5||166.4||256.2||199.3||194.1||164.4||143.0||146.7||167.8||85.0||134.1|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Paxton detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.58|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +217 (+5.0%).
- Manufacturing (24%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Construction (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Transportation and warehousing (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (21%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Other services, except public administration (11%)
- Finance and insurance (9%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Manufacturing (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Transportation occupations (15%)
- Production occupations (11%)
- Material moving occupations (10%)
- Management occupations (9%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (8%)
- Computer and mathematical occupations (7%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (26%)
- Personal care and service occupations (16%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (8%)
- Management occupations (6%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (6%)
- Sales and related occupations (6%)
- Production occupations (5%)
Average climate in Paxton, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Paxton-area historical tornado activity is near Illinois state average. It is 84% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/20/1976, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 28.3 miles away from the Paxton city center injured 18 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 3/6/1956, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 12.9 miles away from the city center injured 6 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Paxton-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Illinois state average. It is 83% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 139.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 113.8 miles away from Paxton center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 171.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 137.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/3/1974 at 23:05:02, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG) earthquake occurred 129.1 miles away from Paxton center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 271.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Ford County (6) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 3, Winter Storms: 2, Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snow: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Paxton:
Airports located in Paxton:
- Paxton Airport (Runways: 1, Air Taxi Ops: 200, Itinerant Ops: 2,000, Local Ops: 1,800)
- C D Maulding Airport (Runways: 1)
- Hasselbring Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Paxton:
- Parkland College (about 25 miles; Champaign, IL; Full-time enrollment: 7,326)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (about 26 miles; Champaign, IL; FT enrollment: 47,528)
- Danville Area Community College (about 36 miles; Danville, IL; FT enrollment: 2,229)
- Kankakee Community College (about 47 miles; Kankakee, IL; FT enrollment: 2,969)
- Illinois Wesleyan University (about 48 miles; Bloomington, IL; FT enrollment: 2,323)
- Illinois State University (about 48 miles; Normal, IL; FT enrollment: 18,804)
- Heartland Community College (about 49 miles; Normal, IL; FT enrollment: 3,958)
Public high school in Paxton:
- Paxton-Buckley-Loda High School (Location: Box 50 Panther Way; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Paxton:
Notable locations in Paxton: Paxton City Hall (A), Paxton Carnegie Library (B), Middlecoff Mansion (C), Paxton Fire Protection District (D), Ford County Jail (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Paxton include: Church of the Nazarene (A), Evangelical Covenant Church (B), Federated Church (C), First Lutheran Church (D), First Southern Baptist Church (E), Paxton Church of Christ (F), Paxton United Methodist Church (G), Saint Marys Catholic Church (H), Westminister Presbyterian Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Pells Park (1), Glen Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Paxton include: Belson Park (1), Fulton Park (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Court: Ford County Government - Circuit Court Clerk (106 Court House).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 68.3. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2000 was 2.04. This is about average. Closest monitor was 24.2 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 26.6. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 15.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 9.62. This is about average. Closest monitor was 24.2 miles away from the city center.
(9.3% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 64.0% for Black residents)
|This city:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
43 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities in 2010
148 people in nursing homes in 2000
31 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups) in 2000
Paxton compared to Illinois state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Paxton (2011 data):
- First National Bank in Paxton: Plaza Facility at 101 South Market Street, branch established on 1969/07/01; First National Bank In Paxton at 106 North Market Street, branch established on 1933/10/20. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $72.5 mil, Deposits: $63.8 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 2 total offices, Holding Company: Agricultural Banking Corporation
- Busey Bank: Paxton Branch at 140 West Center Street, branch established on 1894/01/01. Info updated 2010/01/25: Bank assets: $3,345.6 mil, Deposits: $2,767.4 mil, headquarters in Champaign, IL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 49 total offices, Holding Company: First Busey Corporation
- Farmers-Merchants National Bank of Paxton: Farmers-Merchants National Bank Of P at 101 North Taft Street, branch established on 1914/03/26. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $107.5 mil, Deposits: $92.2 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Premier Bancorp Of Illinois, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (86%)
- Electricity (14%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Paxton city (based on Ford County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Ford County:||2.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Ford County:||1.42 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||0.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Ford County:||5.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||11||$2,187|
|Police Protection - Officers||6||$20,951||$41,902||3||$1,147|
|Streets and Highways||5||$17,688||$42,451||1||$640|
|Solid Waste Management||0||$0||1||$438|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||2||$663|
|Totals for Government||18||$63,267||$42,178||26||$9,109|
Paxton government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Water Utilities: $238,000 ($53.88)
Central Staff Services: $167,000 ($37.81)
Regular Highways: $60,000 ($13.58)
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $474,000 ($107.31)
Water Utilities: $342,000 ($77.43)
Police Protection: $329,000 ($74.48)
General - Other: $201,000 ($45.51)
Sewerage: $195,000 ($44.15)
Financial Administration: $185,000 ($41.88)
Libraries: $97,000 ($21.96)
Parks & Recreation: $36,000 ($8.15)
Solid Waste Management: $25,000 ($5.66)
- General - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
- Intergovernmental to Local NEC - General: $43,000 ($9.74)
- Other Capital Outlay - Central Staff: $109,000 ($24.68)
Libraries: $27,000 ($6.11)
Police Protection: $15,000 ($3.40)
Parks & Recreation: $15,000 ($3.40)
Solid Waste Management: $2,000 ($0.45)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $750,000 ($169.80)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $31,000 ($7.02)
Paxton government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $267,000 ($60.45)
All Other: $175,000 ($39.62)
- Federal Intergovernmental - General Support: $16,000 ($3.62)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $5,000 ($1.13)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $98,000 ($22.19)
General Revenue, NEC: $39,000 ($8.83)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $400,000 ($90.56)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $800,000 ($181.12)
Water Utilities: $182,000 ($41.20)
Highways: $140,000 ($31.70)
All Other: $18,000 ($4.08)
- Tax - Property: $491,000 ($111.16)
NEC: $85,000 ($19.24)
Paxton government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $520,000 ($117.73)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Water Utilities: $465,000 ($105.28)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $55,000 ($12.45)
Paxton government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $2,507,000 ($567.58)
6.14% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,889 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Champaign County, IL||1.75% ($28,582 average AGI)|
|from Iroquois County, IL||0.59% ($35,303)|
|from Livingston County, IL||0.43% ($34,875)|
6.51% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,241 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Paxton:
- WILL (580 AM; 5 kW; URBANA, IL; Owner: UNIV. OF ILLINOIS BOARD OF TRUSTEES)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WYLL (1160 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WMVP (1000 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WIBC (1070 AM; 50 kW; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WJCI (1460 AM; 1 kW; RANTOUL, IL)
- WVIV (1200 AM; 20 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLXX-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- WOWO (1190 AM; 50 kW; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: PATHFINDER COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Paxton:
- WPXN (104.9 FM; PAXTON, IL; Owner: PAXTON BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGKC (105.9 FM; MAHOMET, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WEVX (95.3 FM; RANTOUL, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WQQB (96.1 FM; RANTOUL, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WGCY (106.3 FM; GIBSON CITY, IL; Owner: F & G BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WBGL (91.7 FM; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: ILLINOIS BIBLE INSTITUTE,INC)
- WGNN (102.5 FM; FISHER, IL; Owner: GOOD NEWS RADIO, INC)
- WLRW (94.5 FM; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF ILLINOIS, LLC)
- WWHP (98.3 FM; FARMER CITY, IL; Owner: WMS1, INC.)
- WYST (107.7 FM; FAIRBURY, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WGNJ (89.3 FM; ST. JOSEPH, IL; Owner: GOOD NEWS RADIO, INC.)
- WXLS (99.1 FM; DANVILLE, IL; Owner: I.A.I. BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WKIO (92.5 FM; URBANA, IL; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF ILLINOIS, LLC)
- WEFT (90.1 FM; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: WEFT/PRAIRIE AIR, INC.)
- WHPO (100.9 FM; HOOPESTON, IL; Owner: MARKET STREET BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WPCD (88.7 FM; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: PARKLAND COLLEGE)
TV broadcast stations around Paxton:
- W34CD (Channel 34; QUINCY, IL; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WCIA (Channel 3; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF CHAMPAIGN, L.L.C.)
- W52BR (Channel 52; CHAMPAIGN-URBANA, IL; Owner: MARCIA COHEN)
- WICD (Channel 15; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: WICD LICENSEE, LLC)
- WCCU (Channel 27; URBANA, IL; Owner: URBANA-CHAMPAIGN BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- W58DA (Channel 58; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- W07DD (Channel 7; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WILL-TV (Channel 12; URBANA, IL; Owner: UNIV. OF ILLINOIS BD. OF TRUSTEES)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
Paxton fatal accident list:
Feb 7, 1997 11:55 PM, 9, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Aug 17, 1975 05:50 PM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 26m85ftTotal length
- 32,459Total average daily traffic
- 6,556Total average daily truck traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 55 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Paxton, IL)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 11 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 19 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Paxton)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 15 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Paxton)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 15
- Hazardous Condition: 3
Incident types - Paxton
|Most common first names in Paxton, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Paxton, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Paxton, IL|
|H&R Block||1||True Value||1|
Total of 8 patent applications in 2008-2015.