|Median resident age:||45.3 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04766.
Perham town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $92,661 (it was $58,000 in 2000)
- White alone - 376 (97.4%)
- American Indian alone - 9 (2.3%)
- Two or more races - 1 (0.3%)
|Maine humorist Joe Perham dies (1 reply)|
|Homesick (51 replies)|
|You Know You're in Maine When... (108 replies)|
|How's Caribou for farmer types? (26 replies)|
|Weatherman using the "S" word! (53 replies)|
|Aroostook County questions (46 replies)|
Latest news from Perham, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (27.2%), English (24.9%), Irish (16.6%), Swedish (14.7%), German (7.8%), Scottish (6.2%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/26/1897
Elevation: 630 feet
Land area: 36.5 square miles.
Population density: 11 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Perham:
- High school or higher: 78.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.3%
- Unemployed: 6.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Perham town:
- Never married: 21.8%
- Now married: 59.9%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 10.9%
- Divorced: 6.9%
18 residents are foreign born (2.5% Europe, 1.6% North America).
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Perham, Maine as of May 25, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Perham to the number of sex offenders is 205 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Perham town:||1.1% ($643)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (244.4 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (346.2 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (504.0 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Westmanland, ME (2.0 miles) , New Sweden, ME (2.7 miles ), Wade, ME (2.7 miles ), Washburn, ME (2.9 miles ), Caribou, ME (3.3 miles ), Stockholm, ME (3.4 miles ), Castle Hill, ME (3.5 miles ), Mapleton, ME (3.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $15,000
Latitude: 46.89 N, Longitude: 68.22 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (17%)
- Construction (14%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (9%)
- Wood products (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Food (5%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (5%)
- Health care (35%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- U. S. Postal service (4%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (10%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (10%)
- Carpenters (7%)
- Woodworkers (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Registered nurses (12%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (12%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (9%)
- Health technologists and technicians (6%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (6%)
- Business operations specialists (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (5%)
Average climate in Perham, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Perham-area historical earthquake activity is below Maine state average. It is 95% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 22.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 313.3 miles away from Perham center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 176.2 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 359.9 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 286.6 miles away from Perham center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 109.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Aroostook County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Edward C. Dahlgren - Army Medal of Honor recipient.
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Perham: Edward C. Dahlgren.
Hospitals and medical centers near Perham:
- PROFESSIONAL HOME NURSING INC (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; CARIBOU, ME)
- CARIBOU REHAB AND NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; CARIBOU, ME)
- CARY MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 10 miles away; CARIBOU, ME)
- MAINE VETERANS HOME - CARIBOU (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; CARIBOU, ME)
- VALLEY HOME HEALTH SERVICES (Home Health Center, about 11 miles away; CARIBOU, ME)
- VISITING NURSES OF AROOSTOOK (Home Health Center, about 11 miles away; CARIBOU, ME)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Perham:
- University of Maine (about 140 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 146 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 180 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 193 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 239 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 245 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 245 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
Church in Perham: Perham First Baptist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Fairview Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lake: Salmon Brook Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 90.9. This is worse than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2012 was 0.162. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 16.1 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 2.20. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 16.1 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 0.555. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 16.1 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 27.1. This is about average. Closest monitor was 9.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 18.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 15.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 6.50. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 15.8 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 1.3% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Perham compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (80%)
- Wood (19%)
- Electricity (1%)
Religion statistics for Perham town (based on Aroostook County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 60.84%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||American Baptist Churches in the USA||United Methodist Church||The Wesleyan Church||Assemblies of God|
|Name||United Church of Christ||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||LDS (Mormon) Church||Episcopal Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Aroostook County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||7.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
3.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,766 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,181 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.08% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.46% ($28,764 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.20% ($23,132)|
|from Hartford County, CT||0.09% ($34,920)|
3.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,623 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($830 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.11% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Perham:
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WEGP (1390 AM; 5 kW; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: DECELLES/SMITH MEDIA, INC.)
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Perham:
- WBPW (96.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WQHR (96.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WOZI (101.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMEM (106.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W274AF (102.7 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WCXU (97.7 FM; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: THE CANXUS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Perham fatal accident list:
Feb 4, 1992 03:20 PM, Tangleridg, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Pedestrians: 1, Fatalities: 1
Total length: 0 meters
Total costs: $920,000
Total average daily traffic: 289
Total average daily truck traffic: 14
Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic: 434
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- STATION, Perham Tower (Lat: 46.880583 Lon: -68.212528), Overall height: 60.4 m, Call Sign: WHI610
Assigned Frequencies: 2136.40 MHz, 2142.80 MHz
Grant Date: 02/02/1993, Expiration Date: 02/02/1998
Registrant: Phone: (207) 848-4200
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:6
- Call Sign: K1ASJ, Licensee ID: L00952099
Grant Date: 01/27/2007, Expiration Date: 04/22/2017
Registrant: Robert S Wilk, 757 Perham Rd, Perham, ME 04766
- Call Sign: KA1IWX, Licensee ID: L00287786
Grant Date: 07/31/2008, Expiration Date: 10/28/2018
Registrant: Henry J Nutting, 371 Nutting Rd, Perham, ME 04766
- Call Sign: KB1CLC, Licensee ID: L00251321
Grant Date: 01/03/2008, Expiration Date: 03/03/2018, Certifier: David L Garey
Registrant: David L Garey, 793 Tangle Ridge Rd, Perham, ME 04766
- Call Sign: KB1EBH, Licensee ID: L00251322
Grant Date: 04/21/2009, Expiration Date: 05/05/2019, Certifier: Sylvia K Garey
Registrant: Sylvia K Garey, 793 Tangle Ridge Rd, Perham, ME 04766-4008
- Call Sign: N1MQP, Licensee ID: L00592691
Grant Date: 11/13/2002, Expiration Date: 11/13/2012
Registrant: Ethel M Nutting, 371 Nutting Rd, Perham, ME 04766
- Call Sign: KB1TDS, Licensee ID: L01526384
Grant Date: 10/27/2009, Expiration Date: 10/27/2019, Certifier: Tina R Bogdanovic
Registrant: Tina R Bogdanovic, 792 Tangle Ridge Rd, Perham, ME 04766
FAA Registered Aircraft:2
- Aircraft: DOW ERROL K SKY-DOO LS (Category: Land, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: AMA/EXPR UNKNOWN ENG (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 239ED , Serial Number: 001, Year manufactured: 2007, Airworthiness Date: 08/14/2007
Registrant (Individual): Errol K Dow, 147 Blackstone Rd, Perham, ME 04766
- Aircraft: HELDEBERG DESIGNS LLC BLUE HERON MARATHON (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: ROTAX 582 (65 HP) (2 Cycle)
N-Number: 4383Y , Serial Number: HD00038M, Year manufactured: 2000, Airworthiness Date: 11/21/2006
Registrant (Individual): Robin R Paradis, Po Box 62, Perham, ME 04766
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2