Pittsfield: I snapped this picture of the Pittsfield Illinois Court House on a crisp cold morning.
Pittsfield: Silver Dollar Antiques
Pittsfield: Red Dome Inn Restaurant
Pittsfield: Pike County Courthouse at dusk; Pittsfield, IL
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||41.6 years|
|Illinois median age:||37.2 years|
Zip codes: 62363.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $22,413 (it was $16,628 in 2000)
Pittsfield city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $82,986 (it was $64,700 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $525.
Races in Pittsfield, IL (2013)
- 4,47893.4%White alone
- 1433.0%Black alone
- 461.0%Asian alone
- 140.3%Two or more races
- 60.1%American Indian alone
|Images of Illinois (535 replies)|
|Illinois advice (34 replies)|
|Congratulations Chicago - You are #1 (260 replies)|
|Why arent more people looking at Momence,Bradley,Manteno,Grant Park (36 replies)|
|Fed up with illinois moving out (281 replies)|
|Any thriving small towns in Illinois? (44 replies)|
Latest news from Pittsfield, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (23.1%), United States (17.0%), English (12.1%), Irish (12.1%), Scottish (2.0%), Dutch (1.4%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 04/25/1893
Elevation: 740 feet
Land area: 3.57 square miles.
Population density: 1,259 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Pittsfield:
- High school or higher: 87.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 21.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.0%
- Unemployed: 3.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 17.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pittsfield city:
- Never married: 26.8%
- Now married: 49.8%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 7.9%
- Divorced: 14.0%
38 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Illinois and other state lists there were 9 registered sex offenders living in Pittsfield, Illinois as of October 13, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Pittsfield to the number of sex offenders is 504 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $1,720 (2.0%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $1,025 (1.2%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: St. Peters, MO (58.5 miles , pop. 51,381).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Louis, MO (74.4 miles , pop. 348,189).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (225.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Time, IL (2.4 miles) , New Salem, IL (2.7 miles) , Detroit, IL (2.7 miles) , Griggsville, IL (2.9 miles ), Milton, IL (3.0 miles ), Baylis, IL (3.1 miles ), El Dara, IL (3.1 miles) , Valley City, IL (3.3 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 11 buildings, average cost: $66,100
- 1998: 12 buildings, average cost: $66,100
- 1999: 13 buildings, average cost: $66,100
- 2000: 13 buildings, average cost: $66,100
- 2001: 13 buildings, average cost: $66,100
- 2002: 13 buildings, average cost: $66,100
- 2003: 14 buildings, average cost: $66,100
- 2004: 15 buildings, average cost: $66,100
- 2005: 14 buildings, average cost: $66,100
- 2006: 12 buildings, average cost: $66,100
- 2007: 2 buildings, average cost: $275,000
- 2008: 5 buildings, average cost: $211,000
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $175,000
- 2011: 3 buildings, average cost: $449,700
- 2012: 2 buildings, average cost: $250,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 39.61 N, Longitude: 90.81 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +629 (+13.1%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,533 (69.1%)
Area code: 217
|Crime rates in Pittsfield by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 299.0)||167.4||129.7||131.0||92.9||50.7||83.7||74.5||19.4||24.8||5.6||2.6||0.9|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Pittsfield detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.32|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -56 (-1.3%).
- Construction (15%)
- Manufacturing (14%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Retail trade (11%)
- Transportation and warehousing (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (22%)
- Accommodation and food services (16%)
- Retail trade (14%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Finance and insurance (10%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Production occupations (13%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (10%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (9%)
- Transportation occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (7%)
- Sales and related occupations (7%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (7%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (20%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (18%)
- Sales and related occupations (14%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (10%)
- Healthcare support occupations (7%)
- Personal care and service occupations (7%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (4%)
Average climate in Pittsfield, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Pittsfield-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Illinois state average. It is 47% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/24/1961, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 19.2 miles away from the Pittsfield city center injured 3 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 5/14/1961, a category F3 tornado 27.3 miles away from the city center injured 8 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Pittsfield-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Illinois state average. It is 77% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 176.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 165.9 miles away from Pittsfield center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 182.5 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 198.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 177.3 miles away from Pittsfield center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 217.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Pike County (19) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 16
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 15, Storms: 13, Tornadoes: 4, Snows: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Ryan Carnes - Actor, James E. Flynn - Recipient of the Medal of Honor, Terry R. Parke - Politician.
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Pittsfield: James E. Flynn.
Hospitals and medical centers in Pittsfield:
Airports and heliports located in Pittsfield:
- Pittsfield Penstone Municipal Airport (Runways: 1, Air Taxi Ops: 200, Itinerant Ops: 2,000, Local Ops: 4,700, Military Ops: 100)
- Illini Community Hospital Heliport
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Pittsfield:
- Lewis and Clark Community College (about 57 miles; Godfrey, IL; Full-time enrollment: 4,189)
- Lindenwood University (about 60 miles; Saint Charles, MO; FT enrollment: 11,117)
- St Charles Community College (about 60 miles; Cottleville, MO; FT enrollment: 5,302)
- Western Illinois University (about 60 miles; Macomb, IL; FT enrollment: 10,755)
- University of Illinois at Springfield (about 65 miles; Springfield, IL; FT enrollment: 3,748)
- Lincoln Land Community College (about 65 miles; Springfield, IL; FT enrollment: 5,460)
- University of Missouri-St Louis (about 68 miles; Saint Louis, MO; FT enrollment: 10,322)
Public high schools in Pittsfield:
Public elementary/middle schools in Pittsfield:
Notable location: Pittsfield City Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Pittsfield include: Calvary Baptist Church (A), Church of Christ (B), First Baptist Church (C), First Christian Church (D), Saint Marys Catholic Church (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Pine Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in Pittsfield include: Lowry Park (1), King Park (2), Pittsfield Historic District (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotel: Green Acres Motel (625 West Washington Street).
(17.7% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 100.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents)
|This city:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
People in group quarters in Pittsfield in 2010:
- 384 people in state prisons
- 125 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 40 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 17 people in group homes intended for adults
People in group quarters in Pittsfield in 2000:
- 151 people in nursing homes
- 31 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 17 people in homes for the mentally retarded
Pittsfield compared to Illinois state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
Banks with branches in Pittsfield (2011 data):
- Farmers State Bank: Pittsfield Motor Branch at Route 106 West Pittsfield, branch established on 1995/11/15; at 108 East Adams Street, branch established on 1889/01/26. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $235.9 mil, Deposits: $200.8 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Pike Bancorp, Inc.
- United Community Bank: Pittsfield Branch at 1 Professional Plaza, branch established on 1999/10/22. Info updated 2011/05/20: Bank assets: $954.7 mil, Deposits: $737.5 mil, headquarters in Chatham, IL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 18 total offices, Holding Company: United Community Bancorp, Inc.
- Farmers National Bank of Griggsville: Pittsfield Facility at 201 W Washington Street, branch established on 2010/07/12. Info updated 2008/10/07: Bank assets: $58.6 mil, Deposits: $53.1 mil, headquarters in Griggsville, IL, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Griggsville Bancshares, Inc
- CNB Bank and Trust, N.A.: Corn Belt Bank And Trust Company Bra at 643 West Washington Street, branch established on 1946/10/25. Info updated 2011/07/20: Bank assets: $682.7 mil, Deposits: $586.8 mil, headquarters in Carlinville, IL, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 12 total offices, Holding Company: Carlinville National Bank Shares, Inc.
- The First National Bank of Barry: Pittsfield Branch at 525 West Washington Street, branch established on 1879/01/01. Info updated 2012/03/19: Bank assets: $116.5 mil, Deposits: $97.8 mil, headquarters in Barry, IL, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 4 total offices
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Pittsfield, Illinois:
- Motel Pike, Hwy 106, Pittsfield, IL 62363 , Phone: (217) 285-2129
- Green Acres Motel, 625 W Washington St, Pittsfield, IL 62363 , Phone: (217) 285-2166
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (68%)
- Electricity (30%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Pittsfield city (based on Pike County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Pike County:||3.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pike County:||0.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||0.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pike County:||6.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||3||$16,384||$65,536||10||$10,216|
|Police Protection - Officers||5||$33,653||$80,767||2||$1,949|
|Streets and Highways||8||$44,258||$66,387||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||25||$153,303||$73,585||13||$12,515|
Pittsfield government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Parks & Recreation: $12,000 ($2.67)
- Current Operations - Gas Utilities: $1,983,000 ($440.67)
General - Other: $890,000 ($197.78)
Regular Highways: $515,000 ($114.44)
Water Utilities: $463,000 ($102.89)
Central Staff Services: $377,000 ($83.78)
Police Protection: $269,000 ($59.78)
Sewerage: $250,000 ($55.56)
Libraries: $216,000 ($48.00)
Air Transportation: $190,000 ($42.22)
Parks & Recreation: $170,000 ($37.78)
Fire Protection: $134,000 ($29.78)
- General - Interest on Debt: $19,000 ($4.22)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $843,000 ($187.33)
Pittsfield government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Air Transportation: $88,000 ($19.56)
- Charges - Sewerage: $317,000 ($70.44)
Parks & Recreation: $62,000 ($13.78)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $49,000 ($10.89)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $199,000 ($44.22)
Interest Earnings: $30,000 ($6.67)
- Revenue - Gas Utilities: $2,215,000 ($492.22)
Water Utilities: $441,000 ($98.00)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $1,071,000 ($238.00)
All Other: $230,000 ($51.11)
Highways: $119,000 ($26.44)
- Tax - Property: $315,000 ($70.00)
NEC: $32,000 ($7.11)
Pittsfield government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $265,000 ($58.89)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $260,000 ($57.78)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $5,000 ($1.11)
Pittsfield government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Bond Fund - Cash & Deposits: $124,000 ($27.56)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $1,530,000 ($340.00)
3.75% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($28,172 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Adams County, IL||0.50% ($24,467 average AGI)|
|from Morgan County, IL||0.31% ($16,474)|
|from Pike County, MO||0.20% ($25,583)|
4.17% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,335 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Pittsfield:
- WBBA (1580 AM; 0 kW; PITTSFIELD, IL; Owner: BROWN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- KHMO (1070 AM; 5 kW; HANNIBAL, MO)
- WTAD (930 AM; 5 kW; QUINCY, IL; Owner: STARADIO CORPORATION)
- WGEM (1440 AM; 5 kW; QUINCY, IL; Owner: QUINCY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSDZ (1260 AM; 20 kW; BELLEVILLE, IL)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- KRFT (1190 AM; 10 kW; DE SOTO, MO; Owner: ALL SPORTS RADIO, LLC)
- KTRS (550 AM; 5 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: KTRS-AM LICENSE, L.L.C.)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- KJSL (630 AM; 5 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: WMUZ RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Pittsfield:
- WBBA-FM (97.5 FM; PITTSFIELD, IL; Owner: BROWN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WIPA (89.3 FM; PITTSFIELD, IL; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF IL AT SPRINGFIELD)
- KGRC (92.9 FM; HANNIBAL, MO; Owner: STARADIO CORPORATION)
- KJFM (102.1 FM; LOUISIANA, MO; Owner: FOXFIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KPCR-FM (94.1 FM; BOWLING GREEN, MO; Owner: FOUR HIM ENTERPRISES, L.L.C.)
- WPWQ (106.7 FM; MOUNT STERLING, IL; Owner: WPW BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Pittsfield:
- W49BS (Channel 49; QUINCY, IL; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W53BP (Channel 53; QUINCY, IL; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- KHQA-TV (Channel 7; HANNIBAL, MO; Owner: CHELSEY BROADCASTING COMPANY OF QUINCY, LLC)
- WSEC (Channel 14; JACKSONVILLE, IL; Owner: WEST CENTRAL ILLINOIS EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WTJR (Channel 16; QUINCY, IL; Owner: BELIEVER'S BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 43 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 16 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Pittsfield, IL)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 16 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 4 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 28 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Pittsfield)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 10 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Pittsfield)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 31
- Hazardous Condition: 2
- Good Intent Call: 3
Incident types - Pittsfield
|Most common first names in Pittsfield, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Pittsfield, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Pittsfield, IL|
Pittsfield on our top lists:
- #49 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Recyclable material merchant wholesalers"
- #61 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Farm product raw material merchant wholesalers"
- #81 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Protective service occupations:"
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2015.