|Median resident age:||34.2 years|
|Texas median age:||30.8 years|
Zip codes: 77979.
Port Lavaca city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $77,217 (it was $50,900 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $722.
- Hispanic - 7,504 (59.4%)
- White alone - 3,846 (30.4%)
- Two or more races - 489 (3.9%)
- Asian alone - 484 (3.8%)
- Black alone - 415 (3.3%)
- American Indian alone - 10 (0.08%)
- Other race alone - 3 (0.02%)
|Interesting Things to do in Houston (73 replies)|
|Renting apartments in Port Lavaca (14 replies)|
|To all the Naysayers! (77 replies)|
|Rockport Texas taxes (90 replies)|
|Is it true that Fredericksburg has a semi-arid climate? (55 replies)|
|Texas Beaches: Is it just me or... (78 replies)|
Latest news from Port Lavaca, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (9.2%), Irish (6.0%), English (4.6%), United States (2.9%), Scottish (1.8%), Czech (1.4%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 9.79 square miles.
Population density: 1,264 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Port Lavaca:
- High school or higher: 72.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.9%
- Unemployed: 8.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 18.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Port Lavaca city:
- Never married: 27.8%
- Now married: 54.0%
- Separated: 3.1%
- Widowed: 6.4%
- Divorced: 8.7%
1,448 residents are foreign born (3.0% Asia).
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 43 registered sex offenders living in Port Lavaca, Texas as of May 06, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Port Lavaca to the number of sex offenders is 286 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $1,657 (1.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $738 (1.1%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Victoria, TX (26.1 miles , pop. 60,603).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Corpus Christi, TX (76.6 miles , pop. 277,454).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (109.4 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Point Comfort, TX (2.5 miles ), Kamey-Six Mile, TX (2.9 miles ), Placedo, TX (3.6 miles ), Vanderbilt, TX (3.8 miles ), Seadrift, TX (3.9 miles ), Lolita, TX (4.0 miles ), Bloomington, TX (4.0 miles ), Port O'Connor, TX (4.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 12 buildings, average cost: $58,500
- 1998: 9 buildings, average cost: $71,800
- 1999: 9 buildings, average cost: $111,200
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $279,600
- 2001: 26 buildings, average cost: $113,000
- 2002: 40 buildings, average cost: $85,200
- 2003: 28 buildings, average cost: $53,000
- 2004: 20 buildings, average cost: $120,500
- 2005: 22 buildings, average cost: $120,500
- 2006: 15 buildings, average cost: $295,100
- 2007: 13 buildings, average cost: $80,100
- 2008: 14 buildings, average cost: $102,400
- 2009: 8 buildings, average cost: $125,300
- 2010: 6 buildings, average cost: $138,100
- 2011: 8 buildings, average cost: $100,400
- 2012: 6 buildings, average cost: $158,300
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 28.62 N, Longitude: 96.63 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: -109 (-0.9%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 2,487 (49.0%)
Area code: 361
|Crime rates in Port Lavaca by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 304.8)||426.1||346.7||326.6||258.8||326.9||248.6||240.5||226.2||208.1||275.6||439.3||388.2|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Port Lavaca detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.52|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +628 (+5.5%).
- Construction (27%)
- Manufacturing (24%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Transportation and warehousing (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Retail trade (21%)
- Health care and social assistance (18%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (12%)
- Manufacturing (10%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Information (3%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Engineers (4%)
- Construction laborers (4%)
- Carpenters (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (8%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (4%)
- Cashiers (4%)
Average climate in Port Lavaca, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Port Lavaca-area historical tornado activity is below Texas state average. It is 20% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/5/1968, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 11.6 miles away from the Port Lavaca city center injured 2 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 2/9/1966, a category F3 tornado 24.6 miles away from the city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Port Lavaca-area historical earthquake activity is significantly below Texas state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/9/1993 at 12:29:19, a magnitude 4.3 (4.1 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 91.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/7/2008 at 09:51:12, a magnitude 3.9 (3.9 MB, 3.9 MW, 3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 87.7 miles away from Port Lavaca center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 421.7 miles away from the city center
On 3/24/1997 at 22:31:34, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 106.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML) earthquake occurred 391.8 miles away from Port Lavaca center
On 2/10/2006 at 04:14:22, a magnitude 5.3 (4.2 MB, 5.3 MS, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 395.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Calhoun County (15) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 9, Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Fires: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Tornado: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Brucene Smith - Miss International 1974, Cody Spencer - 2005 NFL player (Tennessee Titans, born: Jun 1, 1981), Pete Orta - Musisian, Nelva Gonzales Ramos - Judge of the District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
Hospitals and medical centers in Port Lavaca:
Airports and heliports located in Port Lavaca:
- Calhoun County Airport (Runways: 2, Itinerant Ops: 1,500, Local Ops: 3,000, Military Ops: 1,500)
- Tanner's Airport (Runways: 4, Itinerant Ops: 200, Local Ops: 2,000)
- Cig 806 Heliport
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Port Lavaca:
- University of Houston-Victoria (about 26 miles; Victoria, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,110)
- Victoria College (about 26 miles; Victoria, TX; FT enrollment: 2,730)
- Wharton County Junior College (about 60 miles; Wharton, TX; FT enrollment: 5,009)
- Coastal Bend College (about 70 miles; Beeville, TX; FT enrollment: 2,880)
- Texas A & M University-Corpus Christi (about 76 miles; Corpus Christi, TX; FT enrollment: 9,092)
- Del Mar College (about 76 miles; Corpus Christi, TX; FT enrollment: 5,213)
- Brazosport College (about 80 miles; Lake Jackson, TX; FT enrollment: 2,573)
Public high schools in Port Lavaca:
Public elementary/middle schools in Port Lavaca:
- Jackson/Roosevelt Complex School (Students: 924; Location: 1512 JACKSON ST; Grades: PK-5; Our rating: 64)
- Harrison/Jefferson/Madison Complex School (Students: 809; Location: 605 N COMMERCE ST; Grades: EE-5; Our rating: 85)
- Travis Middle School (Students: 761; Location: 705 N NUECES ST; Grades: 6-8; Our rating: 56)
Private elementary/middle school in Port Lavaca:
User submitted facts and corrections:
- As of 2001 there is no longer a Cornerstone Christian Academy.
- Private School: Our Lady of the Gulf Catholic School, Grades K-8 - a fully accredited school by the TCCED
- New information website for Port Lavaca, Alamo Beach and Magnolia Beach http://matagordabaytexas.com http://www.city-data.com/city/Port-Lavaca-Texas.html
- Hope High School is only grades 10-12
Notable locations in Port Lavaca: Lavaca Causeway Marina (A), Nautical Landing Marina (B), Port Lavaca Fire Department Station 1 (C), Port Lavaca Fire Department Station 2 (D), Port Lavaca Fire Marshal's Office (E), Calhoun County Sheriff's Office (F), Port Lavaca Police Department (G), Calhoun County Courthouse (H), Calhoun County Museum (I), Calhoun County Emergency Medical Service (J), A C Louwien Bakery (K). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Port Lavaca include: Christ Community Church (A), First Presbyterian Church (B), Episcopal Church Grace Parish (C), Our Lady of the Gulf Catholic Church (D), Second Baptist Church (E), Saint Joseph Baptist Church (F), Parkway by the Bay Baptist Church (G), First Baptist Church (H), Alamo Heights Baptist Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Port Lavaca Cemetery (1), Ranger Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Lynn Bayou (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in Port Lavaca include: Tilley Park (1), Fishing Pier Park (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: B & B Top Water Guide Service (Tours & Charters; 313 Hallamon Road).
Hotels: Best Western Port Lavaca (2202 State Highway 35 North), Chaparral Motel (2086 State Highway 35 North).
Courts: Calhoun County Court At Law Coordinator (38 County Road 101), Port Lavaca City - Municipal Court (201 North Colorado).
(10.8% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 7.2% for Black residents, 25.8% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for American Indian residents, 26.2% for other race residents, 9.8% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.9 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
People in group quarters in Port Lavaca in 2010:
- 130 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 48 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 8 people in group homes intended for adults
- 7 people in other noninstitutional facilities
People in group quarters in Port Lavaca in 2000:
- 106 people in nursing homes
- 35 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 9 people in religious group quarters
- 8 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 6 people in homes for the mentally retarded
Port Lavaca compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Port Lavaca (2011 data):
- Capital One, National Association: Port Lavaca Branch at 1329 North Virginia, branch established on 1954/01/01. Info updated 2011/07/01: Bank assets: $133,477.8 mil, Deposits: $97,063.7 mil, headquarters in Mclean, VA, positive income, 984 total offices, Holding Company: Capital One Financial Corporation
- Woodforest National Bank: Port Lavaca Wal-Mart Branch at 400 Tiny Browning Blvd., branch established on 2005/05/18. Info updated 2011/05/10: Bank assets: $3,488.9 mil, Deposits: $3,097.6 mil, headquarters in Houston, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 766 total offices, Holding Company: Woodforest Financial Group Employee Stock Ownership Plan (With 401(K) Provisions) (Amended And
- Prosperity Bank: Port Lavaca Branch at 1107 North Highway 35, branch established on 1949/01/01. Info updated 2012/01/05: Bank assets: $9,816.2 mil, Deposits: $8,064.8 mil, headquarters in El Campo, TX, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 187 total offices, Holding Company: Prosperity Bancshares, Inc.
- Wells Fargo Bank, National Association: Port Lavaca Branch at 699 State Hwy 35 S, branch established on 1991/10/21. Info updated 2011/04/05: Bank assets: $1,161,490.0 mil, Deposits: $905,653.0 mil, headquarters in Sioux Falls, SD, positive income, 6395 total offices, Holding Company: Wells Fargo & Company
- First National Bank in Port Lavaca: First National Bank In Port Lavaca at 1101 Hwy 35 Bypass South, branch established on 1957/11/13. Info updated 2006/09/19: Bank assets: $217.3 mil, Deposits: $188.5 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Bauer Management, Inc.
- First Victoria National Bank: Port Lavaca Branch at 618 Virginia, branch established on 1996/02/15. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $1,911.3 mil, Deposits: $1,700.2 mil, headquarters in Victoria, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 27 total offices, Holding Company: Mow/Rpw Ii, Ltd.
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Port Lavaca, Texas:
- Executive Inn, 2007 N Hwy 35, Port Lavaca, TX 77979 , Phone: (361) 552-1300, Fax: (361) 552-1399
- La Quinta Inns & Suites, 910 State Hwy 35 N, Port Lavaca, TX 77979 , Phone: (361) 552-8800, Fax: (361) 552-9200
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites, 2629 State Hwy 35 N, Port Lavaca, TX 77979 , Phone: (361) 552-5700, Fax: (361) 552-5755
- Best Western Port Lavaca Inn, 2202 State Hwy 35 N, Port Lavaca, TX 77979 , Phone: (361) 553-6800, Fax: (361) 553-6900
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (60%)
- Utility gas (40%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Port Lavaca city (based on Calhoun County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 55.61%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Assemblies of God||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America|
|Name||Churches of Christ||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Episcopal Church||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Calhoun County:||2.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Calhoun County:||0.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Calhoun County:||6.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||12.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||9||$23,958||$31,944||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||3||$6,345||$25,380||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||17||$62,999||$44,470||0||$0|
|Police - Other||6||$16,315||$32,630||3||$841|
|Streets and Highways||11||$26,893||$29,338||2||$1,506|
|Water Transport and Terminals||2||$4,209||$25,254||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||6||$11,835||$23,670||1||$921|
|Other and Unallocable||9||$22,311||$29,748||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||95||$283,555||$35,817||6||$3,268|
6.50% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,004 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Victoria County, TX||1.29% ($32,978 average AGI)|
|from Harris County, TX||0.67% ($30,021)|
|from Jackson County, TX||0.22% ($41,000)|
6.76% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($35,353 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Port Lavaca:
- KCTA (1030 AM; 50 kW; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX; Owner: BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF THE SOUTHWEST)
- KTMR (1130 AM; daytime; 10 kW; EDNA, TX; Owner: SIGA BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KILE (1560 AM; 50 kW; BELLAIRE, TX; Owner: THE RAFTT CORPORATION)
- KTKR (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WOAI (1200 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KTRH (740 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, TX; Owner: AMFM TEXAS LICENSES LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KGOL (1180 AM; 50 kW; HUMBLE, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KEYH (850 AM; 10 kW; HOUSTON, TX; Owner: LIBERMAN BROADCASTING OF HOUSTON LICENSE CORP.)
- KSEV (700 AM; 15 kW; TOMBALL, TX; Owner: LIBERMAN BROADCASTING OF HOUSTON LICENSE CORP.)
- KGBT (1530 AM; 50 kW; HARLINGEN, TX; Owner: TICHENOR LICENSE CORPORATION)
- KENS (1160 AM; 25 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: KENS-TV, INC.)
- KSAH (720 AM; 10 kW; UNIVERSAL CITY, TX; Owner: KSAH LICENSING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Port Lavaca:
- KITE (93.3 FM; PORT LAVACA, TX; Owner: VICTORIA RADIOWORKS, LTD.)
- KIXS (107.9 FM; VICTORIA, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKSQ (94.5 FM; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KIOX-FM (96.9 FM; EL CAMPO, TX; Owner: LIBERMAN BROADCASTING OF HOUSTON LICENSE CORP.)
- KTXN-FM (98.7 FM; VICTORIA, TX; Owner: COSMOPOLITAN ENTERPRISES OF VICTORIA)
- KXGJ (101.7 FM; BAY CITY, TX; Owner: LIBERMAN BROADCASTING OF HOUSTON LICENSE CORP.)
- KLUB (106.9 FM; BLOOMINGTON, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KMAT (105.1 FM; SEADRIFT, TX; Owner: WILLIAM E. CORDELL)
- KVIC (95.1 FM; VICTORIA, TX; Owner: VICTORIA RADIO WORKS, LTD.)
- KZAM (104.7 FM; GANADO, TX; Owner: FORT BEND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- K220HF (91.9 FM; PORT LAVACA, TX; Owner: PAULINO BERNAL EVANGELISM)
- KXBJ (89.3 FM; VICTORIA, TX; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION OF VICTORIA, INC.)
- KVRT (90.7 FM; VICTORIA, TX; Owner: SOUTH TX PUBLIC B/CSTNG SYSTEM, INC.)
- KMKS (102.5 FM; BAY CITY, TX; Owner: SANDLIN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Port Lavaca:
- KVCT (Channel 19; VICTORIA, TX; Owner: SURTSEY PRODUCTIONS, INC.)
- KAVU-TV (Channel 25; VICTORIA, TX; Owner: SAGA BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KUNU-LP (Channel 21; VICTORIA, TX; Owner: SAGA BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KVTX-LP (Channel 45; VICTORIA, TX; Owner: SAGA BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KXTS-LP (Channel 41; VICTORIA, TX; Owner: SAGA BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KBGS-LP (Channel 51; VICTORIA, TX; Owner: CLUB COMMUNICATIONS)
- KCPV-LP (Channel 57; VICTORIA, TX; Owner: CLUB COMMUNICATIONS)
- KVHM-LP (Channel 31; VICTORIA, TX; Owner: HUMBERTO LOPEZ)
Fatal accident count (per 100,000 population)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 128 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 17 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Port Lavaca, TX)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 18 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 62 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Port Lavaca)
FAA Registered Aircraft Manufacturers and Dealers: 2 (See the full list of FAA Registered Manufacturers and Dealers in Port Lavaca)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 36 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 81
- Hazardous Condition: 227
- Service Call: 5
- Good Intent Call: 4
Incident types - Port Lavaca
|Most common first names in Port Lavaca, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Port Lavaca, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Port Lavaca, TX|
|Ace Hardware||1||Lane Furniture||1|
|Cricket Wireless||2||SONIC Drive-In||1|
|Jones New York||1||YMCA||1|
Total of 13 patent applications in 2008-2015.