Portage Lake, Maine
Portage Lake: tenderness
Portage Lake: flyfishing in Deboullie
Portage Lake: Portage neighbors
Portage Lake: Portage neighbors having lunch
Portage Lake: Portage Lake public beach
Portage Lake: Portage neighbors
Portage Lake: Portage Lake Sunset
Portage Lake: Portage Lake from atop of Soucy Hill
Portage Lake: his majesty
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||56.2 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04768.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $27,682 (it was $17,983 in 2000)
Portage Lake town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $127,930 (it was $71,700 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $116,614; Detached houses: $123,203; Townhouses or other attached units: $211,922; In 2-unit structures: $83,442; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $28,261; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $183,556; Mobile homes: $54,820; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $55,511
Races in Portage Lake, ME (2010)
- 37595.9%White alone
- 112.8%Two or more races
- 41.0%American Indian alone
- 10.3%Black alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Gender inequality today (or when higher earnings do not necessarily mean you do less laundry at home) Aug 23
- Professional services jobs are soaring, making it the fastest-growing industry Aug 21
- Internetification today Aug 19
- The fastest-growing sector in the West is dominated by one company Aug 17
- What matters more when it comes to moving between states: weather or taxes? Aug 15
Ancestries: French (37.2%), English (20.0%), French Canadian (10.8%), Irish (8.5%), United States (6.4%), Scottish (3.6%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/24/1909
Land area: 30.7 square miles.
Population density: 13 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Portage Lake:
- High school or higher: 72.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.9%
- Unemployed: 6.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Portage Lake town:
- Never married: 18.3%
- Now married: 64.6%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 8.5%
- Divorced: 8.5%
21 residents are foreign born (5.4% North America).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Portage Lake town:||1.0% ($742)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (231.9 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (333.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (489.9 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Ashland, ME (3.4 miles ), Wade, ME (3.6 miles ), Castle Hill, ME (3.7 miles ), Perham, ME (3.9 miles ), Washburn, ME (4.1 miles ), Westmanland, ME (4.2 miles) , Masardis, ME (4.3 miles ), Mapleton, ME (4.4 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $15,000
- 1998: 3 buildings, average cost: $61,700
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $30,000
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $30,000
- 2001: 8 buildings, average cost: $46,400
- 2002: 2 buildings, average cost: $75,000
- 2003: 5 buildings, average cost: $69,000
- 2004: 3 buildings, average cost: $51,000
- 2005: 3 buildings, average cost: $51,000
- 2006: 6 buildings, average cost: $103,300
- 2007: 5 buildings, average cost: $103,300
- 2009: 3 buildings, average cost: $121,700
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $80,000
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $55,000
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $175,000
- 2013: 3 buildings, average cost: $168,300
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $60,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 46.78 N, Longitude: 68.50 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Wood products (41%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (17%)
- Construction (8%)
- Truck transportation (7%)
- Textile mills and textile products (3%)
- Lumber and other construction materials merchant wholesalers (3%)
- Metal and metal products (2%)
- Wood products (14%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Health care (12%)
- Food and beverage stores (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Social assistance (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (12%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (11%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (9%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Top executives (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (10%)
- Cashiers (10%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (10%)
- Registered nurses (8%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (7%)
- Waiters and waitresses (7%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (7%)
Average climate in Portage Lake, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Portage Lake-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 95% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 13.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 297.9 miles away from Portage Lake center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 344.5 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 169.2 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 272.5 miles away from Portage Lake center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 102.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Aroostook County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
located in Portage Lake:See details about located in Portage Lake, ME
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Portage Lake:
- University of Maine (about 131 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 136 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 167 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 181 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 226 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 233 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 233 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
Notable locations in Portage Lake: Bolstridge Camp (A), Portage Lake Volunteer Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Sutherland Cemetery (1), Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Cemetery (2), Goodblood Cemetery (3), Buffalo Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lake: Portage Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Mosquito Brook (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 59.0. This is better than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2013 was 0.155. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 22.8 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 1.97. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 22.8 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 0.529. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 22.8 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 27.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 15.1. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 11.3 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 5.09. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 22.5 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Portage Lake town (based on Aroostook County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Aroostook County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||7.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
3.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,766 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,181 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.08% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.46% ($28,764 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.20% ($23,132)|
|from Hartford County, CT||0.09% ($34,920)|
3.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,623 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($830 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.11% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Portage Lake:
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WEGP (1390 AM; 5 kW; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: DECELLES/SMITH MEDIA, INC.)
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Portage Lake:
- WBPW (96.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WQHR (96.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WOZI (101.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMEM (106.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W274AF (102.7 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 0mTotal length
- $906,000Total costs
- 110Total average daily traffic
- 5Total average daily truck traffic
- 165Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Golf Course Road (Lat: 46.766361 Lon: -68.474222), Type: Pole, Structure height: 3.5 m, Overall height: 11 m, Call Sign: KNHY347
Assigned Frequencies: 155.955 MHzGrant Date: 09/14/2013, Expiration Date: 12/02/2023Registrant: Radio Communications Management, Inc, 38 Rice Street, Presque Isle, ME 04769, Phone: (207) 540-1544, Fax: (207) 540-1545, Email:
Drinking water stations with addresses in Portage Lake and their reported violations in the past:MAINE WOODS COMPANY LLC (Population served: 60, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In DEC-2013, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (DEC-16-2013), St Formal NOV issued (DEC-16-2013), St Public Notif received (DEC-20-2013)
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In OCT-01-2006, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif received (DEC-11-2006), St Public Notif requested (FEB-20-2007), St Violation/Reminder Notice (FEB-20-2007), St Compliance achieved (MAR-12-2008)
- 10 routine major monitoring violations
- 14 regular monitoring violations
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (67%)
- Wood (28%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
- Electricity (1%)
Portage Lake compared to Maine state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.