We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||32.9 years|
|Georgia median age:||35.9 years|
Zip codes: 30070.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $16,846 (it was $10,812 in 2000)
Porterdale town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $62,753 (it was $46,800 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $938.
Races in Porterdale, GA (2010)
- 92864.9%White alone
- 39327.5%Black alone
- 332.3%Two or more races
- 80.6%Other race alone
- 50.3%American Indian alone
- 20.1%Asian alone
|If you're unhappy in Atlanta, my question is what would it take to make you happy? (118 replies)|
|African American areas of the city that are not majority "poor" blacks? (102 replies)|
|The truth about Conyers and Covington? (10 replies)|
|1915 Circus Train Wreck tragedy (9 replies)|
|Reverse Commute to Covington (7 replies)|
|Violent Crime Rates in Georgia Cities (1 reply)|
Latest news from Porterdale, GA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (16.4%), German (12.1%), English (7.4%), United States (7.0%), Danish (1.9%), Scottish (1.5%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 680 feet
Land area: 1.03 square miles.
Population density: 1,407 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Porterdale:
- High school or higher: 74.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.7%
- Unemployed: 6.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Porterdale town:
- Never married: 35.8%
- Now married: 34.2%
- Separated: 4.0%
- Widowed: 6.8%
- Divorced: 19.2%
50 residents are foreign born (1.6% Latin America, 1.0% Africa, 0.5% Europe, 0.5% Asia).
According to our research of Georgia and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Porterdale, Georgia as of September 05, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Porterdale to the number of sex offenders is 288 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $911 (1.3%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $570 (1.2%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Atlanta, GA (31.9 miles , pop. 416,474).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (608.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Covington, GA (1.7 miles ), Oxford, GA (2.0 miles ), Yellow River, GA (3.0 miles ), South Rockdale, GA (3.0 miles ), Conyers, GA (3.0 miles ), Mansfield, GA (3.2 miles ), North Rockdale, GA (3.3 miles ), Jersey, GA (3.4 miles) .
Latitude: 33.57 N, Longitude: 83.90 W
|Crime rates in Porterdale by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 278.8)||738.6||357.4||266.1||214.4||666.4||908.0||632.7|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Porterdale detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||4.84|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (26%)
- Construction (18%)
- Manufacturing (14%)
- Other services, except public administration (8%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Retail trade (5%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (20%)
- Retail trade (18%)
- Manufacturing (14%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (8%)
- Transportation and warehousing (7%)
- Construction (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (22%)
- Production occupations (17%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (16%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (8%)
- Fire fighting and prevention, and other protective service workers including supervisors (5%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (4%)
- Management occupations (4%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (25%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (16%)
- Sales and related occupations (14%)
- Management occupations (10%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (8%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (6%)
- Production occupations (5%)
Average climate in Porterdale, Georgia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Porterdale-area historical tornado activity is near Georgia state average. It is 35% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 12/24/1964, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 7.3 miles away from the Porterdale town center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 11/22/1992, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 37.4 miles away from the town center killed 5 people and injured 86 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Porterdale-area historical earthquake activity is near Georgia state average. It is 82% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 83.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 118.0 miles away from Porterdale center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 154.2 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 194.0 miles away from the city center
On 11/22/1974 at 05:25:55, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB) earthquake occurred 222.0 miles away from Porterdale center
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 259.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Newton County (9) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Storms: 4, Tornadoes: 4, Winter Storms: 2, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Raymond Moody - Psychologist, Tiny Osborne - Baseball player.
Hospitals and medical centers near Porterdale:
- FMC DIALYSIS SERVICES OF NEWTON (Dialysis Facility, about 2 miles away; COVINGTON, GA)
- COVINGTON MANOR ICF (Nursing Home, about 3 miles away; COVINGTON, GA)
- COVINGTON MANOR NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 3 miles away; COVINGTON, GA)
- RIVERSIDE HEALTH CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 4 miles away; COVINGTON, GA)
- RIVERSIDE MEDICAL OF COVINGTON (Nursing Home, about 4 miles away; COVINGTON, GA)
- SUNCREST HOME HEALTH (Home Health Center, about 4 miles away; COVINGTON, GA)
- DSI COVINGTON RENAL CENTER (Dialysis Facility, about 4 miles away; COVINGTON, GA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Porterdale:
- Georgia Perimeter College (about 24 miles; Decatur, GA; Full-time enrollment: 17,138)
- Georgia Piedmont Technical College (about 25 miles; Clarkston, GA; FT enrollment: 3,276)
- Clayton State University (about 25 miles; Morrow, GA; FT enrollment: 5,844)
- DeVry University-Georgia (about 28 miles; Decatur, GA; FT enrollment: 4,157)
- Gwinnett Technical College (about 29 miles; Lawrenceville, GA; FT enrollment: 5,138)
- Georgia Gwinnett College (about 29 miles; Lawrenceville, GA; FT enrollment: 7,993)
- Emory University (about 30 miles; Atlanta, GA; FT enrollment: 14,382)
Notable location: Porterdale Volunteer Fire Department Station 11 (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Porterdale include: Porterdale Presbyterian Church (A), Porterdale Baptist Church (B), Julia A Porter United Methodist Church (C), Gospel Tabernacle United Pentecostal Church (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creek: Beaverdam Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 118. This is significantly worse than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2012 was 0.331. This is about average. Closest monitor was 24.0 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 4.21. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 9.8 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 0.459. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 24.0 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 24.9. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 9.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 20.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 24.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 13.5. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 24.0 miles away from the city center.
(23.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 15.5% for Black residents, 64.7% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
|This town:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.9% of all households
- Gay men: 0.7% of all households
Porterdale compared to Georgia state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- House age above state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (68%)
- Utility gas (30%)
- No fuel used (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Porterdale town (based on Newton County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Newton County:||1.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||1.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Newton County:||0.73 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||0.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Newton County:||5.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||1||$5,111||$61,332||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||1||$2,644||$31,728||1||$2,644|
|Police Protection - Officers||5||$15,593||$37,423||1||$691|
|Streets and Highways||2||$4,070||$24,420||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||11||$34,739||$37,897||3||$4,663|
Porterdale government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Central Staff Services: $227,000 ($156.34)
Police Protection: $174,000 ($119.83)
Water Utilities: $129,000 ($88.84)
Sewerage: $86,000 ($59.23)
Solid Waste Management: $83,000 ($57.16)
Regular Highways: $65,000 ($44.77)
Welfare - Other: $5,000 ($3.44)
Judicial and Legal Services: $5,000 ($3.44)
Parks & Recreation: $1,000 ($0.69)
- Other Capital Outlay - Regular Highways: $12,000 ($8.26)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $335,000 ($230.72)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $87,000 ($59.92)
Porterdale government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $142,000 ($97.80)
Solid Waste Management: $72,000 ($49.59)
- Federal Intergovernmental - All Other: $3,000 ($2.07)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Support: $195,000 ($134.30)
All Other: $1,000 ($0.69)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $79,000 ($54.41)
Rents: $4,000 ($2.75)
Interest Earnings: $2,000 ($1.38)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $214,000 ($147.38)
- State Intergovernmental - All Other: $1,000 ($0.69)
- Tax - Property: $127,000 ($87.47)
Public Utilities: $70,000 ($48.21)
Other Selective Sales: $47,000 ($32.37)
Alcoholic Beverage Sales: $8,000 ($5.51)
NEC: $3,000 ($2.07)
Porterdale government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $1,821,000 ($1254.13)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $1,726,000 ($1188.71)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $94,000 ($64.74)
Porterdale government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $334,000 ($230.03)
9.45% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($30,094 average adjusted gross income)
0.04% of residents moved from foreign countries ($92 average AGI)
Newton County: 0.04% Georgia average: 0.08%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Rockdale County, GA||1.97% ($28,556 average AGI)|
|from DeKalb County, GA||1.32% ($28,412)|
|from Walton County, GA||0.64% ($27,411)|
9.13% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,051 average adjusted gross income)
0.07% of residents moved to foreign countries ($191 average AGI)
Newton County: 0.07% Georgia average: 0.09%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Porterdale:
- WGFS (1430 AM; 5 kW; COVINGTON, GA; Owner: IPS, INC.)
- WPBS (1050 AM; 12 kW; CONYERS, GA; Owner: MIDWAY HOLINESS CHURCH, INC,)
- WGUN (1010 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: WGUN, INC.)
- WSB (750 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WCNN (680 AM; 50 kW; NORTH ATLANTA, GA; Owner: DICKEY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WQXI (790 AM; 28 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: JEFFERSON-PILOT COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY OF GEORGIA)
- WAOK (1380 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WMAC (940 AM; 50 kW; MACON, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WMLB (1160 AM; 50 kW; EAST POINT, GA; Owner: ATLANTA AREA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WGKA (1190 AM; 25 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF GEORGIA, INC.)
- WAZX (1550 AM; 50 kW; SMYRNA, GA; Owner: GA-MEX BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WFTD (1080 AM; daytime; 50 kW; MARIETTA, GA; Owner: PRIETO ENTERPRISES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Porterdale:
- WFSH-FM (104.7 FM; ATHENS, GA; Owner: SOUTH TEXAS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WABE (90.1 FM; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: BOARD OF EDUCATION, CITY OF ATLANTA)
- WFOX (97.1 FM; GAINESVILLE, GA; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WSB-FM (98.5 FM; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WSTR (94.1 FM; SMYRNA, GA; Owner: JEFFERSON-PILOT COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY OF GEORGIA)
- WVEE (103.3 FM; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WZGC (92.9 FM; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORP. OF ATLANTA)
- WKHX-FM (101.5 FM; MARIETTA, GA; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WMVV (90.7 FM; GRIFFIN, GA; Owner: LIFE RADIO MINISTRIES, INC)
- WWWQ (100.5 FM; ANNISTON, AL; Owner: WNNX LICO, INC.)
- WNNX (99.7 FM; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: WNNX LICO, INC.)
- WYAY (106.7 FM; GAINESVILLE, GA; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WKLS (96.1 FM; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WLTM (94.9 FM; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WRFG (89.3 FM; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: RADIO FREE GEORGIA BROADCASTING FOUNDATION INC)
- WBTS (95.5 FM; ATHENS, GA; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WJGA-FM (92.1 FM; JACKSON, GA; Owner: EARNHART BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WRAS (88.5 FM; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: GEORGIA STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WPMA (102.7 FM; BUCKHEAD, GA; Owner: BARINOWSKI INVESTMENT COMPANY, L.P.)
- WMOQ (92.3 FM; BOSTWICK, GA; Owner: BOSTWICK BROADCASTING GROUP, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Porterdale:
- WUVG (Channel 34; ATHENS, GA; Owner: UNIVISION ATLANTA LLC)
- WAGA (Channel 5; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WXIA-TV (Channel 11; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: GANNETT GEORGIA, L.P.)
- WSB-TV (Channel 2; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: WSB-TV HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WHSG (Channel 63; MONROE, GA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WTBS (Channel 17; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: SUPERSTATION, INC.)
- WATL (Channel 36; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: WATL, LLC)
- WGCL-TV (Channel 46; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: MEREDITH CORPORATION)
- WPBA (Channel 30; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: BOARD OF EDUCATION OF THE CITY OF ATLANTA)
- WUPA (Channel 69; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: VIACOM STATIONS GROUP OF ATLANTA INC.)
- WANN-LP (Channel 32; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: PRISM BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WDTA-LP (Channel 53; FAYETTEVILLE, GA; Owner: WORD OF GOD FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- W52CL (Channel 52; MACON, GA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WIRE-CA (Channel 40; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: COMMERCIAL BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WTHC-LP (Channel 42; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: THE ATLANTA CHANNEL, INC.)
- WANX-LP (Channel 26; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: PRISM BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WGTV (Channel 8; ATHENS, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- W24AL (Channel 24; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: VENTANA TELEVISION, INC.)
Porterdale fatal accident list:
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 9m30ftTotal length
- 8,950Total average daily traffic
- 13,425Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:3
- 1 1/2 Mi S (Lat: 33.542889 Lon: -83.905472), Call Sign: KIF416
Assigned Frequencies: 159.360 MHz, 159.390 MHz
Grant Date: 07/29/2003, Expiration Date: 08/11/2013
Registrant: Gta Gfc Newton Unit, Macon, GA 31202-0819, Phone: (478) 751-3500, Email:
- Water Tank On Forest Tower Rd (Lat: 33.546222 Lon: -83.912417), Call Sign: WNFA789
Assigned Frequencies: 453.125 MHz
Grant Date: 12/12/1995, Expiration Date: 02/05/2001, Cancellation Date: 04/08/2001
Registrant: Newton General Hospital, 5126 Hospital Dr, Covington, GA 30209, Phone: (404) 786-7053
- Lat: 33.577222 Lon: -83.898139, Call Sign: WQNV355, Licensee ID: L01633826
Assigned Frequencies: 457.762 MHz
Grant Date: 06/07/2011, Expiration Date: 06/07/2021, Certifier: Michael Bullars
Registrant: Syc Veyance Technologies, 1 Osmunda St, Porterdale, GA 30070, Phone: (770) 786-2610, Fax: (770) 784-2885, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- Various Locations (Lat: 33.600111 Lon: -83.966556), Overall height: 6.1 m, Call Sign: WPOU256
Assigned Frequencies: 952.068 MHz
Grant Date: 06/17/2009, Expiration Date: 06/22/2019
Registrant: City Of Covington, 2194 Emory St, Covington, GA 30014, Phone: (770) 385-2000
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KA4ZVP
Grant Date: 07/25/1997, Expiration Date: 07/25/2007, Cancellation Date: 07/28/2009
Registrant: Jimmie S Gose, Porterdale, GA 30270
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 10
- Hazardous Condition: 15
- Service Call: 1
Incident types - Porterdale
|Most common first names in Porterdale, GA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Porterdale, GA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Porterdale on our top lists:
- #31 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors"
- #37 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Hardware, plumbing and heating equipment and supplies merchant wholesalers"
- #97 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of likely gay men couples (counted as self-reported male-male unmarried-partner households)"
- #69 (30070) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Greek first ancestries"
- #39 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of births per 1000 residents 2000-2003 (pop 50,000+)"
- #43 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people moving in compared to moving out (pop. 50,000+)"
- #80 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest increase in the number of births per 1000 residents 1990-1999 to 2000-2003 (pop 50,000+)"
- #98 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents relocating from other counties between 2005 and 2006"