Prairie City, Oregon
Prairie City: Heading south into the Strawberry Mtns...
Prairie City: Yellow House...
Prairie City: View of Strawberry Mtn from 408 E Front St, Prairie City, Oregon
Prairie City: church...
Prairie City: Lumbermill...
Prairie City: Little Diner...
Prairie City: Hwy 26 heading east ...
Prairie City: natal prairie city
Prairie City: Hwy 26 looking east...
Prairie City: Hwy 26 going west through Prairie City,Oregon
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||43.4 years|
|Oregon median age:||39.1 years|
Zip codes: 97869.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $18,308 (it was $16,278 in 2000)
Prairie City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $107,515 (it was $68,100 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $752.
Races in Prairie City, OR (2010)
- 84092.4%White alone
- 262.9%Two or more races
- 121.3%American Indian alone
- 10.1%Black alone
- 10.1%Asian alone
- 10.1%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
|What's Wrong With Winston? (19 replies)|
|Eastern Oregon Tips? (7 replies)|
|Rentals near Malheur National Forest (2 replies)|
|Cove: Best Climate in Oregon? (9 replies)|
|Info on Prairie City or Sumpter? (12 replies)|
|Our trip to Eastern Oregon (16 replies)|
Latest news from Prairie City, OR collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (24.5%), English (11.0%), Irish (9.6%), Norwegian (5.6%), United States (3.9%), Dutch (3.5%).
Current Local Time: PST time zone
Elevation: 3538 feet
Land area: 0.95 square miles.
Population density: 928 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Prairie City:
- High school or higher: 89.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.3%
- Unemployed: 15.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Prairie City city:
- Never married: 22.0%
- Now married: 55.2%
- Separated: 2.8%
- Widowed: 6.8%
- Divorced: 13.2%
4 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Oregon and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Prairie City, Oregon as of May 27, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Prairie City to the number of sex offenders is 895 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $1,305 (1.3%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $1,298 (0.9%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Kennewick, WA (122.6 miles , pop. 54,693).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Northwest Clackamas, OR (202.1 miles , pop. 224,220).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Los Angeles, CA (717.7 miles , pop. 3,694,820).
Nearest cities: John Day, OR (3.5 miles ), Canyon City, OR (3.6 miles ), Mount Vernon, OR (4.5 miles ), Greenhorn, OR (4.5 miles) , Unity, OR (5.1 miles) , Seneca, OR (5.1 miles ), Hereford, OR (5.1 miles ), Long Creek, OR (5.1 miles ).
Latitude: 44.46 N, Longitude: 118.71 W
Area code: 541
|Crime rates in Prairie City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 317.7)||72.7||61.8||92.8||63.6|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Prairie City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.13|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (23%)
- Manufacturing (20%)
- Construction (13%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (7%)
- Utilities (6%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (33%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Construction (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (15%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (14%)
- Production occupations (14%)
- Material moving occupations (10%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (7%)
- Sales and related occupations (13%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (12%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (11%)
- Healthcare support occupations (10%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (6%)
Average climate in Prairie City, Oregon
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Prairie City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Oregon state average. It is 358% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/1915 at 06:52:48, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 280.7 miles away from the city center
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW) earthquake occurred 244.5 miles away from Prairie City center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 8/18/1959 at 06:37:13, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK) earthquake occurred 397.2 miles away from the city center, causing $26,000,000 total damage
On 4/13/1949 at 19:55:42, a magnitude 7.0 (7.0 UK) earthquake occurred 265.6 miles away from the city center, causing $80,000,000 total damage
On 2/28/2001 at 18:54:32, a magnitude 6.8 (6.5 MB, 6.6 MS, 6.8 MW, Depth: 32.2 mi, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 260.7 miles away from Prairie City center, causing $2,000,000,000 total damage and $305,000,000 insured losses
On 1/31/1922 at 13:17:28, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK) earthquake occurred 434.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Grant County (6) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Drought: 1, Fire: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Prairie City:
airports located in Prairie City:See details about airports located in Prairie City, OR
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Prairie City:
- Eastern Oregon University (about 67 miles; La Grande, OR; Full-time enrollment: 3,127)
- Treasure Valley Community College (about 92 miles; Ontario, OR; FT enrollment: 2,055)
- Walla Walla Community College (about 114 miles; Walla Walla, WA; FT enrollment: 4,263)
- Northwest Nazarene University (about 124 miles; Nampa, ID; FT enrollment: 2,290)
- College of Western Idaho (about 125 miles; Nampa, ID; FT enrollment: 6,300)
- Columbia Basin College (about 126 miles; Pasco, WA; FT enrollment: 5,111)
- Central Oregon Community College (about 134 miles; Bend, OR; FT enrollment: 5,217)
Public high school in Prairie City:
- PRAIRIE CITY SCHOOL (Students: 163, Location: 740 OVERHOLT ST, Grades: KG-12)
Notable locations in Prairie City: Prairie City Depot (A), Prairie City Ranger Station (B), Prairie City Fire Department (C), Prairie City Town Hall (D), DeWitt Museum (E), Prairie City Public Works Department Office (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Prairie City Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Reservoir: Prairie City Reservoir (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Creek: Dixie Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Park in Prairie City: Depot Park Recreation Site (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: Dewitt Museum (Depot Park).
(18.2% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 15.8% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
46 people in nursing homes in 2000
7 people in other group homes in 2000
Banks with branches in Prairie City (2011 data):
- Bank of Eastern Oregon: Prairie City Branch at 178 N.W. Front Street, branch established on 1936/01/02. Info updated 2010/09/16: Bank assets: $260.3 mil, Deposits: $230.5 mil, headquarters in Heppner, OR, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 12 total offices, Holding Company: Beo Bancorp
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Prairie City city (based on Grant County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Grant County:||4.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|Oregon:||2.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Grant County:||1.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|Oregon:||2.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Grant County:||5.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.69 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||13.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||9.93 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Prairie City, OR Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||1||$3,322||$39,864||1||$1,962|
|Totals for Government||4||$9,736||$29,208||1||$1,962|
Prairie City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Financial Administration: $220,000 ($250.28)
Police Protection: $127,000 ($144.48)
Regular Highways: $123,000 ($139.93)
Water Utilities: $104,000 ($118.32)
Sewerage: $102,000 ($116.04)
Fire Protection: $20,000 ($22.75)
Parks & Recreation: $17,000 ($19.34)
Health Services - Other: $16,000 ($18.20)
General - Other: $10,000 ($11.38)
- General - Interest on Debt: $1,000 ($1.14)
- Other Capital Outlay - Sewerage: $913,000 ($1038.68)
Regular Highways: $187,000 ($212.74)
Water Utilities: $73,000 ($83.05)
General - Other: $13,000 ($14.79)
Fire Protection: $6,000 ($6.83)
Parks & Recreation: $2,000 ($2.28)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $188,000 ($213.88)
Prairie City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $179,000 ($203.64)
- Local Intergovernmental - Highways: $140,000 ($159.27)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $243,000 ($276.45)
Interest Earnings: $40,000 ($45.51)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $196,000 ($222.98)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $55,000 ($62.57)
General Support: $35,000 ($39.82)
All Other: $3,000 ($3.41)
- Tax - Property: $94,000 ($106.94)
NEC: $20,000 ($22.75)
Prairie City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $20,000 ($22.75)
- Long Term Debt Issue, Unspecified - Other NEC: $848,000 ($964.73)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $862,000 ($980.66)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $6,000 ($6.83)
Prairie City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $1,446,000 ($1645.05)
6.76% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,527 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Deschutes County, OR||0.60% ($27,733 average AGI)|
6.95% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,920 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
|to Deschutes County, OR||0.88% ($22,773 average AGI)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Prairie City:
- KWEI (1260 AM; 50 kW; WEISER, ID; Owner: TREASURE VALLEY BROADCASTING CO.)
- KJDY (1400 AM; 1 kW; JOHN DAY, OR; Owner: BLUE MOUNTAIN BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KBOI (670 AM; 50 kW; BOISE, ID; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KPOJ (620 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KXL (750 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- KTBI (810 AM; daytime; 50 kW; EPHRATA, WA; Owner: TACOMA BROADCASTERS, INCORPORATED)
- KPAM (860 AM; 50 kW; TROUTDALE, OR; Owner: PAMPLIN BROADCASTING-OREGON, INC.)
- KOTK (1080 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: FISHER BROADCASTING - PORTLAND RADIO, L.L.C.)
- KBSU (730 AM; 15 kW; BOISE, ID; Owner: IDAHO STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- KEX (1190 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KPNW (1120 AM; 50 kW; EUGENE, OR; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KIRO (710 AM; 50 kW; SEATTLE, WA; Owner: ENTERCOM SEATTLE LICENSE, LLC)
- KTTH (770 AM; 50 kW; SEATTLE, WA; Owner: ENTERCOM SEATTLE LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Prairie City:
- KJDY-FM (94.5 FM; CANYON CITY, OR; Owner: BLUE MOUNTAIN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- K205CJ (88.9 FM; PRAIRIE CITY, OR; Owner: LIFE BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Prairie City:
- K02PK (Channel 2; JOHN DAY, OR; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 4Number of bridges
- 6m20ftTotal length
- $272,000Total costs
- 2,526Total average daily traffic
- 476Total average daily truck traffic
- 2,615Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: AL7LL, Licensee ID: L00157998, Grant Date: 09/30/1999, Expiration Date: 08/15/2009, Cancellation Date: 08/16/2011, Certifier: Samuel W Kyriss, Registrant: Samuel W Kyriss, 229 Bridge Street, Prairie City, OR 97869-0863
- Call Sign: KC7PAX, Licensee ID: L00977598, Grant Date: 01/30/1996, Expiration Date: 01/30/2006, Cancellation Date: 03/04/2005, Registrant: Gary J Reigel, 1044 Hall, Prairie City, OR 97869
- Call Sign: N7HTN, Previous Call Sign: KC7PAX, Licensee ID: L00977598, Grant Date: 02/07/2015, Expiration Date: 03/04/2025, Certifier: Gary J Reigel, Registrant: Gary J Reigel, 1044 Hall, Prairie City, OR 97869
|Most common first names in Prairie City, OR among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Prairie City, OR among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Wood (46%)
- Electricity (25%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (24%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
Prairie City compared to Oregon state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.