Preston: Historic John Meech House, Roseledge Herb Farm
Preston: tunnels and root celler on our farm the old John Meech homestead
Preston: Old farm truck on route 164 in front of Roseledge Country Farm Shoppe
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||45.9 years|
|Connecticut median age:||39.2 years|
Zip codes: 06360.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $33,090 (it was $24,752 in 2000)
Preston town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $246,968 (it was $143,100 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $279,324; Detached houses: $295,147; Townhouses or other attached units: $179,402; In 2-unit structures: $187,717; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $175,852; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $193,804; Mobile homes: $43,108
Races in Preston, CT (2010)
- 4,27490.4%White alone
- 1042.2%Two or more races
- 1012.1%Asian alone
- 651.4%Black alone
- 551.2%American Indian alone
- 120.3%Other race alone
|Connecticut TOWN TOURNAMENT II (2016) (400 replies)|
|Connecticut's Transportation Future (357 replies)|
|Connecticut Weather Discussion (4335 replies)|
|Jan 26-27, 2015 Snowstorm (733 replies)|
|Having second thoughts about leaving CT (163 replies)|
|Weather in Connecticut (9191 replies)|
Latest news from Preston, CT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Preston, CT City Guides:
Ancestries: Irish (18.9%), Polish (16.9%), English (15.3%), Italian (13.8%), German (13.5%), French (11.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 10/1687
Elevation: 190 feet
Land area: 30.9 square miles.
Population density: 153 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Preston:
- High school or higher: 85.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 22.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.0%
- Unemployed: 3.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Preston town:
- Never married: 22.4%
- Now married: 60.1%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 7.0%
- Divorced: 9.7%
164 residents are foreign born (1.5% Europe, 1.1% Asia, 0.5% Africa).
According to our research of Connecticut and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Preston, Connecticut as of May 31, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Preston to the number of sex offenders is 1,239 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Preston town:||1.3% ($1,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, CT (31.6 miles , pop. 54,740).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (73.7 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (106.7 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Norwich, CT (1.8 miles ), Mashantucket, CT (2.1 miles ), Ledyard, CT (2.2 miles ), Lisbon, CT (2.4 miles ), Gales Ferry, CT (2.6 miles ), Jewett City borough, CT (2.6 miles ), Griswold, CT (2.6 miles ), Oxoboxo River, CT (2.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 21 buildings, average cost: $90,400
- 1998: 19 buildings, average cost: $101,400
- 1999: 20 buildings, average cost: $105,500
- 2000: 19 buildings, average cost: $141,600
- 2001: 19 buildings, average cost: $143,700
- 2002: 21 buildings, average cost: $165,500
- 2003: 24 buildings, average cost: $142,300
- 2004: 32 buildings, average cost: $212,400
- 2005: 41 buildings, average cost: $260,600
- 2006: 18 buildings, average cost: $247,200
- 2007: 17 buildings, average cost: $217,000
- 2008: 2 buildings, average cost: $176,100
- 2009: 9 buildings, average cost: $213,800
- 2010: 7 buildings, average cost: $213,800
- 2011: 7 buildings, average cost: $226,100
- 2012: 8 buildings, average cost: $229,900
- 2013: 10 buildings, average cost: $229,300
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 41.51 N, Longitude: 72.03 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 860
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
- Construction (16%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (12%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Health care (4%)
- Utilities (4%)
- Health care (19%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (11%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (3%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Computer specialists (4%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Pipelayers, plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (4%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
Average climate in Preston, Connecticut
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Preston-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Connecticut state average. It is 46% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/1979, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 41.8 miles away from the Preston town center killed 3 people and injured 500 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 8/21/1951, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 25.0 miles away from the town center injured 8 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Preston-area historical earthquake activity is near Connecticut state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 205.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 222.7 miles away from Preston center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 139.0 miles away from the city center
On 8/22/1992 at 12:20:32, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 3.8 MS, 4.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 189.3 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 225.1 miles away from Preston center
On 10/2/1994 at 11:27:22, a magnitude 3.7 (3.5 LG, 3.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 59.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in New London County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Storms: 4, Blizzards: 3, Hurricanes: 3, Snowstorms: 3, Snows: 2, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: George D. Prentice - Newspaper editor, Henry Brewster Stanton - Abolitionist, David A. Starkweather - Politician, George Edwin Bissell - Sculptor, Frederick Whittlesey - Politician, George Anson Starkweather (New York) - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers near Preston:
- HAMILTON PAVILION HEALTHCARE (Nursing Home, about 2 miles away; NORWICH, CT)
- REGENCY HEIGHTS OF NORWICH, LLC (Nursing Home, about 3 miles away; NORWICH, CT)
- UNCAS ON THAMES HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 4 miles away; NORWICH, CT)
- ELMACHRI REST HOME (Nursing Home, about 4 miles away; NORWICH, CT)
- HOSPICE OF SOUTHEASTERN CT INC (Home Health Center, about 4 miles away; NORWICH, CT)
- WILLIAM W BACKUS HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 4 miles away; NORWICH, CT)
- UNITED COMM SVCS INC PHN DEPT-HOSPICE (Hospital, about 5 miles away; NORWICH, CT)
Amtrak stations near Preston:
- 5 miles: FOXWOOD CASINO (LEDYARD, ROUTE 2) - Bus Station
- 12 miles: NEW LONDON (27 WATER ST.) . Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 12 miles: MYSTIC (RTE. 1) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Operable nuclear power plants near Preston:
- 13 miles: Millstone 1 and 2 in Waterford, CT.
- 13 miles: Millstone 3 in Waterford, CT.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Preston:
- Three Rivers Community College (about 5 miles; Norwich, CT; Full-time enrollment: 2,897)
- Connecticut College (about 11 miles; New London, CT; FT enrollment: 2,068)
- Eastern Connecticut State University (about 18 miles; Willimantic, CT; FT enrollment: 4,985)
- University of Connecticut (about 24 miles; Storrs, CT; FT enrollment: 22,037)
- University of Rhode Island (about 26 miles; Kingston, RI; FT enrollment: 14,656)
- New England Institute of Technology (about 29 miles; East Greenwich, RI; FT enrollment: 3,183)
- Community College of Rhode Island (about 32 miles; Warwick, RI; FT enrollment: 10,500)
Public elementary/middle schools in Preston:
User submitted facts and corrections:
- There is no more "preston city school" it has been taken down and preston veterns memorial school is now in its place.
Notable locations in Preston: Long Society (A), SCRRRA Industrial Park (B), Poquetanuck Volunteer Fire Department (C), Preston City Fire Company (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Preston include: Calvary Bible Church (A), Long Society Congregational Church (B), Preston City Congregational Church (C), Refuge House of Prayer (D), Saint Catherine Church (E), Saint Nicholas Church (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Hebrew Cemetery (1), Smallpox Cemetery (2), Poquetanuck Cemetery (3), Long Society Cemetery (4), Gore Cemetery (5), Fobes-Amos Cemetery (6), Crary Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Cooks Pond (A), Gates Pond (B), Hallville Pond (C), Lewis Pond (D), Amos Lake (E), Avery Pond (F), Bates Pond (G), Ayer Pond (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Main Brook (A), Miller Brook (B), Myers Brook (C), Rattlesnake Brook (D), Sheep Barn Brook (E), Shewville Brook (F), Rose Brook (G), Ayers Brook (H), Broad Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Preston include: Preston City Historic District (1), Preston Highway Park (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: Captain Grant's-1754 (109 Route 2A) (1), The Mandrake Inn (124 Route 2A) (2), Roseledge Farm Bed & Breakfast (418 Route 164) (3). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 94.5. This is worse than average.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 1.43. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 2.7 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 33.4. This is about average. Closest monitor was 9.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 8.51. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 2.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 6.31. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 2.8 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Banks with branches in Preston (2011 data):
- Jewett City Savings Bank: Preston Branch at 353 Route 165, branch established on 2008/11/13. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $242.4 mil, Deposits: $197.0 mil, headquarters in Jewett City, CT, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 5 total offices
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Preston town (based on New London County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|New London County:||1.82 / 10,000 pop.|
|Connecticut:||2.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.07 / 10,000 pop.|
|New London County:||1.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Connecticut:||1.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|New London County:||3.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.27 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||9.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|New London County:||22.4%|
5.14% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($51,148 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,067 average AGI)
New London County: 0.11% Connecticut average: 0.06%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Windham County, CT||0.51% ($36,959 average AGI)|
|from Hartford County, CT||0.34% ($58,706)|
|from Middlesex County, CT||0.31% ($49,094)|
5.90% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($48,144 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($837 average AGI)
New London County: 0.11% Connecticut average: 0.10%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Preston:
- WICH (1310 AM; 5 kW; NORWICH, CT; Owner: WICH, INCORPORATED)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WSUB (980 AM; 1 kW; GROTON, CT; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Preston:
- WBMW (106.5 FM; LEDYARD, CT; Owner: RED WOLF BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCTY (97.7 FM; NORWICH, CT; Owner: WICH, INC.)
- WHJM (107.7 FM; PAWCATUCK, CT; Owner: FULLER BROADCASTING INTERNATIONAL, LLC)
- WKNL (100.9 FM; NEW LONDON, CT; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WWRX-FM (103.7 FM; WESTERLY, RI; Owner: FNX BROADCASTING OF RHODE ISLAND, LLC)
- WQGN-FM (105.5 FM; GROTON, CT; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WILI-FM (98.3 FM; WILLIMANTIC, CT; Owner: NUTMEG BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WXLM (102.3 FM; STONINGTON, CT; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WECS (90.1 FM; WILLIMANTIC, CT; Owner: EASTERN CONNECTICUT STATE COLLEGE)
- WNLC (98.7 FM; EAST LYME, CT; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WSKO-FM (99.7 FM; WAKEFIELD-PEACEDALE, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCNI (90.9 FM; NEW LONDON, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT COLLEGE BROADCASTING ASSOCIATION, INC.)
- WRCH (100.5 FM; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WHUS (91.7 FM; STORRS, CT; Owner: THE BD. OF TRUSTEES, THE UNIV. OF CT)
- W233AG (94.5 FM; NEW LONDON, CT; Owner: MONROE BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WRIU (90.3 FM; KINGSTON, RI; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND)
- W258AC (99.5 FM; STORRS, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC)
- WNPR (89.1 FM; NORWICH, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC B/NG, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Preston:
- WHPX (Channel 26; NEW LONDON, CT; Owner: PAXSON HARTFORD LICENSE, INC.)
- WEDN (Channel 53; NORWICH, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPXQ (Channel 69; BLOCK ISLAND, RI; Owner: OCEAN STATE TELEVISION, L.L.C.)
- WTIC-TV (Channel 61; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
- W11BJ (Channel 11; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: COMMUNICATIONS SITE MANAGEMENT LLC)
- WTXX (Channel 20; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: WTXX INC.)
- WYDN (Channel 48; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL PUBLIC TV CORPORATION)
- WVIT (Channel 30; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC)
- WUVN (Channel 18; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WEDH (Channel 24; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 7Number of bridges
- 7m23ftTotal length
- $14,000Total costs
- 32,093Total average daily traffic
- 1,174Total average daily truck traffic
- 16,048Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- PRESTON TRAN, 21 Route 12 (Lat: 41.489028 Lon: -72.065222), Type: Building, Structure height: 16 m, Call Sign: WQRG372
Assigned Frequencies: 11658.1 MHzGrant Date: 05/08/2013, Expiration Date: 05/08/2023, Certifier: Paul ZitoRegistrant: State Of Connecticut, 1111 Country Club Road, Middletown, CT 06457, Phone: (860) 685-8280, Fax: (860) 685-8345, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:29 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Preston)
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: CESSNA 172M (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 108 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (4 Cycle)
N-Number: 13635 , Serial Number: 17262896, Year manufactured: 1974, Airworthiness Date: 01/30/1974
Registrant (Individual): Richard James Hartnett, 82 Cooktown Rd, Preston, CT 06365
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 43
- Hazardous Condition: 22
- Service Call: 6
- Good Intent Call: 2
Incident types - Preston
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (80%)
- Electricity (11%)
- Wood (5%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Businesses in Preston, CT
- Dunkin Donuts: 2
- Subway: 1
Preston compared to Connecticut state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Total of 19 patent applications in 2008-2016.