Promise City, Iowa
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||47.0 years|
|Iowa median age:||38.1 years|
Zip code: 52583
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $26,701 (it was $10,637 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $73,949 (it was $22,300 in 2000)
Races in Promise City, IA (2010)
- 10897.3%White alone
- 21.8%Asian alone
Latest news from Promise City, IA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Polish (36.6%), Croatian (24.4%), Irish (19.5%), German (9.8%), English (8.5%), American (1.2%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 08/23/1901
Elevation: 1056 feet
Land area: 0.19 square miles.
Population density: 599 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Promise City:
- High school or higher: 95.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 1.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Promise City city:
- Never married: 33.4%
- Now married: 40.4%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 12.1%
- Divorced: 13.2%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $578 (0.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $591 (1.0%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Des Moines, IA (63.3 miles , pop. 198,682).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Kansas City, MO (137.5 miles , pop. 441,545).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (294.1 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Seymour, IA (2.2 miles ), Plano, IA (2.3 miles) , Corydon, IA (3.0 miles ), Numa, IA (3.1 miles) , Millerton, IA (3.3 miles) , Mystic, IA (3.3 miles ), Allerton, IA (3.4 miles ), Rathbun, IA (3.8 miles) .
Latitude: 40.75 N, Longitude: 93.15 W
Area code: 641
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (36%)
- Retail trade (24%)
- Transportation and warehousing (24%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Construction (5%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (2%)
- Health care and social assistance (1%)
- Retail trade (52%)
- Health care and social assistance (24%)
- Manufacturing (21%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (2%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (0%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (0%)
- Construction (0%)
- Transportation occupations (65%)
- Sales and related occupations (23%)
- Management occupations (5%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (2%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (1%)
- Production occupations (1%)
- Material moving occupations (1%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (50%)
- Healthcare support occupations (21%)
- Material moving occupations (14%)
- Production occupations (7%)
- Management occupations (2%)
- Personal care and service occupations (2%)
- Sales and related occupations (2%)
Average climate in Promise City, Iowa
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Promise City-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Iowa state average. It is 51% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/20/1959, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 3.2 miles away from the Promise City city center injured 5 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 5/10/1953, a category F4 tornado 12.7 miles away from the city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Promise City-area historical earthquake activity is near Iowa state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 322.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 309.8 miles away from Promise City center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 314.7 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 340.5 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 344.7 miles away from Promise City center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 323.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Wayne County (12) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 10, Tornadoes: 5, Winds: 3, Hurricane: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Promise City:
- CORYDON CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; CORYDON, IA)
- CORYDON NURSING AND REHAB CENTER (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; CORYDON, IA)
- WAYNE COUNTY PUBLIC HEALTH (Home Health Center, about 9 miles away; CORYDON, IA)
- WAYNE COUNTY HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 9 miles away; CORYDON, IA)
- APPANOOSE COUNTY PHNS (Home Health Center, about 15 miles away; CENTERVILLE, IA)
- MERCY MEDICAL CENTER - CENTERVILLE (Dialysis Facility, about 15 miles away; CENTERVILLE, IA)
- GOLDEN AGE CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; CENTERVILLE, IA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Promise City:
- Indian Hills Community College (about 45 miles; Ottumwa, IA; Full-time enrollment: 4,034)
- Truman State University (about 49 miles; Kirksville, MO; FT enrollment: 5,553)
- Drake University (about 65 miles; Des Moines, IA; FT enrollment: 3,768)
- Des Moines Area Community College (about 71 miles; Ankeny, IA; FT enrollment: 15,337)
- Iowa State University (about 93 miles; Ames, IA; FT enrollment: 28,662)
- Northwest Missouri State University (about 96 miles; Maryville, MO; FT enrollment: 5,946)
- Moberly Area Community College (about 99 miles; Moberly, MO; FT enrollment: 3,977)
Church in Promise City: Church of Christ (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2001 was 3.08. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 19.2 miles away from the city center.
|This city:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 2.0% of all households
- Gay men: 4.1% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Promise City city (based on Wayne County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Wayne County:||6.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wayne County:||9.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Promise City, IA Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||14||$447|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||14||$447|
5.37% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,895 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Appanoose County, IA||0.87% ($25,550 average AGI)|
|from Polk County, IA||0.69% ($29,000)|
|from Lucas County, IA||0.56% ($42,692)|
6.91% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,302 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Promise City:
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KCOG (1400 AM; 1 kW; CENTERVILLE, IA; Owner: KCOG, INC.)
- KPSZ (940 AM; 10 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KBGG (1700 AM; 10 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KKHK (1250 AM; 25 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KYDZ (1180 AM; 25 kW; BELLEVUE, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KRNT (1350 AM; 5 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Promise City:
- KMGO (98.7 FM; CENTERVILLE, IA; Owner: KMGO, INC.)
- KELR-FM (105.3 FM; CHARITON, IA; Owner: FMC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KLBA-FM (96.7 FM; ALBIA, IA; Owner: H & H BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KB0PJA, Licensee ID: L00415919, Grant Date: 04/14/2005, Expiration Date: 10/25/2014, Certifier: Douglas J Carpenter, Registrant: Douglas J Carpenter, 2972 Hwy J22, Promise City, IA 52583
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (63%)
- Electricity (30%)
- Wood (7%)
Promise City compared to Iowa state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.