|Median resident age:||23.6 years|
|New Mexico median age:||34.6 years|
Reservation CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $52,840 (it was $27,900 in 2000)
- American Indian alone - 11,068 (96.6%)
- White alone - 188 (1.6%)
- Hispanic - 127 (1.1%)
- Two or more races - 59 (0.5%)
- Black alone - 6 (0.05%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 4 (0.03%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.01%)
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Land area: 1028.4 square miles.
Population density: 10 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Reservation:
- High school or higher: 62.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 7.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.7%
- Unemployed: 24.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Reservation CCD:
- Never married: 42.0%
- Now married: 46.9%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 6.4%
- Divorced: 4.8%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Reservation CCD:||0.7% ($199)|
|New Mexico:||0.7% ($699)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Rio Rancho, NM (122.7 miles , pop. 51,765).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Albuquerque, NM (130.2 miles , pop. 448,607).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (247.4 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: Tohatchi, NM (1.2 miles ), Nakaibito, NM (2.1 miles ), Brimhall Nizhoni, NM (2.8 miles ), Twin Lakes, NM (3.1 miles ), Yah-ta-hey, NM (3.8 miles ), Rock Springs, NM (4.0 miles ), Naschitti, NM (4.1 miles ), Navajo, NM (4.1 miles ).
Latitude: 35.83 N, Longitude: 108.75 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 505
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (21%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (5%)
- Health care (5%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (4%)
- Repair and maintenance (3%)
- Educational services (24%)
- Health care (19%)
- Public administration (16%)
- Social assistance (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Gasoline stations (3%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Construction laborers (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (7%)
- Cashiers (7%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Child care workers (5%)
Average climate in Reservation, New Mexico
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Reservation-area historical earthquake activity is above New Mexico state average. It is 284% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/28/1992 at 11:57:34, a magnitude 7.6 (6.2 MB, 7.6 MS, 7.3 MW, Depth: 0.7 mi, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 455.4 miles away from the city center, causing 3 deaths (1 shaking deaths, 2 other deaths) and 400 injuries, causing $100,000,000 total damage and $40,000,000 insured losses
On 10/16/1999 at 09:46:44, a magnitude 7.4 (6.3 MB, 7.4 MS, 7.2 MW, 7.3 ML) earthquake occurred 444.0 miles away from Reservation center
On 5/19/1940 at 04:36:40, a magnitude 7.2 (7.2 UK) earthquake occurred 435.1 miles away from the city center, causing $33,000,000 total damage
On 12/31/1934 at 18:45:56, a magnitude 7.1 (7.1 UK) earthquake occurred 456.0 miles away from the city center
On 10/15/1979 at 23:16:54, a magnitude 7.0 (5.7 MB, 6.9 MS, 7.0 ML, 6.4 MW) earthquake occurred 445.4 miles away from Reservation center
On 4/29/1993 at 08:21:00, a magnitude 5.5 (5.5 MB, 5.0 MS, 5.3 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 189.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in McKinley County (7) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Storms: 4, Fires: 2, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Reservation:
- San Juan College (about 73 miles; Farmington, NM; Full-time enrollment: 5,112)
- Fort Lewis College (about 112 miles; Durango, CO; FT enrollment: 3,631)
- University of Phoenix-Albuquerque Campus (about 130 miles; Albuquerque, NM; FT enrollment: 2,335)
- Central New Mexico Community College (about 131 miles; Albuquerque, NM; FT enrollment: 19,398)
- University of New Mexico-Main Campus (about 131 miles; Albuquerque, NM; FT enrollment: 23,042)
- Santa Fe Community College (about 155 miles; Santa Fe, NM; FT enrollment: 3,047)
- Coconino Community College (about 170 miles; Flagstaff, AZ; FT enrollment: 2,090)
Notable locations in Reservation: Slick Rock (A), Tohatchi Lookout (B), Bowl Lake Campground (C), Corral (D), Standing Rock Pumping Station (E), Gallup Pumping Station (F), Tohatchi Village Site (G), Toyee (H), Shillingburg (I), Dalton Pass Chapter House (J), Dalton Pass Trading Post (K), Dalton Pass Historic Site (L), Mexican Springs Weather Station (M), Tohatchi Weather Station (N), Navajo Community Library (O), Nahodishgish Chapter House (P), Tohatchi Emergency Medical Services (Q), Navajo Pine Volunteer Fire and Rescue (R). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Reservation include: Saint Mary Church (A), Toyee (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Lone Pine Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Bass Lake (A), Red Pond (B), Red Water Pond (C), Bowl Lake (D), Whiskey Lake (E), Red Lake (F), Chuska Lake (G), Red Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Bowl Canyon Creek (A), Whiskey Creek (B), Black Creek (C), Black Springs Wash (D), Catron Wash (E), Chuska Wash (F), Deer Springs Wash (G), Figuredo Wash (H), Little Water Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Reservation: Navajo Indian Reservation Historical Marker (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2009 was 70.9. This is about average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2009 was 24.4. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 19.2 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||3.8 people|
|New Mexico:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Reservation compared to New Mexico state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Wood (39%)
- Utility gas (25%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (22%)
- Electricity (9%)
- Other fuel (3%)
- Coal or coke (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Reservation CCD (based on McKinley County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 39.77%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||LDS (Mormon) Church||Southern Baptist Convention||Christian Reformed Church in North America||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)|
|Name||Assemblies of God||United Methodist Church||Church of the Nazarene||Conservative Baptist Association of America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|McKinley County:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Mexico:||1.44 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|McKinley County:||0.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Mexico:||0.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|McKinley County:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.12 / 10,000 pop.|
8.50% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($25,118 average adjusted gross income)
|New Mexico average:||6.50%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from San Juan County, NM||3.26% ($23,497 average AGI)|
|from Apache County, AZ||1.47% ($23,221)|
|from Bernalillo County, NM||0.96% ($20,482)|
7.76% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,238 average adjusted gross income)
|New Mexico average:||6.43%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Reservation:
- KTNN (660 AM; 50 kW; WINDOW ROCK, AZ; Owner: THE NAVAJO NATION)
- KHAC (880 AM; 43 kW; TSE BONITO, NM; Owner: WESTERN INDIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- KGAK (1330 AM; 5 kW; GALLUP, NM; Owner: KRJG, INC.)
- KKOB (770 AM; 50 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KTHR (1230 AM; 1 kW; GALLUP, NM; Owner: MILLENNIUM MEDIA, INC.)
- KENN (1390 AM; 10 kW; FARMINGTON, NM; Owner: WINTON ROAD BROADCASTING CO, LLC)
- KMIA (710 AM; 50 kW; BLACK CANYON CITY, AZ; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KNDN (960 AM; 5 kW; FARMINGTON, NM; Owner: BASIN BROADCASTING CO.)
- KNZZ (1100 AM; 50 kW; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: M B C GRAND BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KRKE (1100 AM; 5 kW; MILAN, NM; Owner: CIBOLA RADIO COMPANY)
- KFNX (1100 AM; 50 kW; CAVE CREEK, AZ; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KFLT (830 AM; 50 kW; TUCSON, AZ; Owner: FAMILY LIFE B/CING SYSTEM, INC.)
- KRZE (1280 AM; 5 kW; FARMINGTON, NM; Owner: J. THOMAS DEVELOPMENT OF NM, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Reservation:
- KGLX (99.1 FM; GALLUP, NM; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KGLP (91.7 FM; GALLUP, NM; Owner: GALLUP PUBLIC RADIO)
- KXXI (93.7 FM; GALLUP, NM; Owner: MILLENNIUM MEDIA, INC.)
- KYVA (103.7 FM; GRANTS, NM; Owner: MILLENNIUM MEDIA, INC.)
- KKOR (94.5 FM; GALLUP, NM; Owner: MILLENNIUM MEDIA, INC.)
- K289AD (105.7 FM; CHINLE, AZ; Owner: PROCLAIMING CHRIST'S LOVE MINISTRIES)
- KWRK (96.1 FM; WINDOW ROCK, AZ; Owner: THE NAVAJO NATION)
- KWIM (102.7 FM; WINDOW ROCK, AZ; Owner: WESTERN INDIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Reservation:
- K08HQ (Channel 8; CHINLE, AZ; Owner: KOB-TV, LLC)
- K08IJ (Channel 8; GALLUP, NM; Owner: KOAT HEARST-ARGYLE TELEVISION, INC.)
- K41FK (Channel 41; TOHATCHI, NM; Owner: RAYCOM NATIONAL, INC.)
- K47DI (Channel 47; COYOTE CANYON, NM; Owner: EMMIS TELEVISION LICENSE CORPORATION)
- K38AU (Channel 38; CROWNPOINT, NM; Owner: THE NAVAJO NATION)
- K09NA (Channel 9; SHEEP SPRINGS, ETC., NM; Owner: THE NAVAJO TRIBE)
- K06IS (Channel 6; TOHATCHI, NM; Owner: KOB-TV, LLC)
Reservation on our top lists:
- #39 on the list of "Top 100 cities with lowest ratio of median house value to median household income (pop. 5,000+)"
- #40 on the list of "Top 100 cities with smallest houses (pop. 5,000+)"
- #81 on the list of "Top 100 highest located cities (pop. 5,000+)"
- #5 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000"
- #15 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000"
- #35 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of births per 1000 residents 2000-2003 (pop 50,000+)"
- #99 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Kerry (Democrat) in the 2004 Presidential Election"