|Median resident age:||41.0 years|
|Missouri median age:||33.9 years|
Zip codes: 64779.
Rich Hill city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $45,455 (it was $30,800 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $473.
- White alone - 1,326 (95.0%)
- Two or more races - 38 (2.7%)
- Hispanic - 20 (1.4%)
- American Indian alone - 6 (0.4%)
- Black alone - 3 (0.2%)
- Other race alone - 2 (0.1%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.07%)
|Missouri Outlaw History (199 replies)|
|Long ago on independence square (8275 replies)|
|Rich Hill, Missouri (0 replies)|
|Rich Hill Cemetaries (3 replies)|
|Grassland/Forest Fire warnings & burn bans (1 reply)|
|Amish/Mennonite Communities (149 replies)|
Latest news from Rich Hill, MO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (23.1%), Irish (13.8%), United States (10.8%), English (9.5%), Dutch (3.5%), French (3.5%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1880
Elevation: 801 feet
Land area: 1.37 square miles.
Population density: 981 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Rich Hill:
- High school or higher: 77.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.4%
- Unemployed: 7.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rich Hill city:
- Never married: 22.1%
- Now married: 47.9%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 12.3%
- Divorced: 15.5%
5 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Missouri and other state lists there were 7 registered sex offenders living in Rich Hill, Missouri as of April 26, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Rich Hill to the number of sex offenders is 195 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $505 (0.9%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $339 (1.1%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Lee's Summit, MO (57.2 miles , pop. 70,700).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Kansas City, MO (68.6 miles , pop. 441,545).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (390.9 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Metz, MO (2.9 miles) , Foster, MO (3.0 miles) , Butler, MO (3.4 miles ), Hume, MO (3.5 miles ), Stotesbury, MO (3.7 miles) , Schell City, MO (3.8 miles ), Harwood, MO (3.9 miles) , Walker, MO (3.9 miles ).
Latitude: 38.10 N, Longitude: 94.36 W
Area code: 417
|Crime rates in Rich Hill by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 295.9)||310.1||384.4||684.9||301.7||439.1||241.4||116.1||212.5||142.6||214.7|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Rich Hill detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.15|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (21%)
- Construction (17%)
- Other services, except public administration (15%)
- Retail trade (14%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Health care and social assistance (6%)
- Wholesale trade (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (33%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Manufacturing (9%)
- Finance and insurance (9%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (13%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (9%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (4%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (10%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (6%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Waiters and waitresses (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
Average climate in Rich Hill, Missouri
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Rich Hill-area historical tornado activity is near Missouri state average. It is 62% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/17/1958, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 10.2 miles away from the Rich Hill city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 5/4/2003, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 36.8 miles away from the city center killed 4 people and injured 30 people and caused $20 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Rich Hill-area historical earthquake activity is near Missouri state average. It is 73% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 271.2 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 272.1 miles away from Rich Hill center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 280.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 352.5 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 233.4 miles away from Rich Hill center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 235.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Bates County (16) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 9, Storms: 8, Tornadoes: 5, Winter Storms: 4, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Rich Hill: George Phillips.
Hospitals and medical centers near Rich Hill:
- BATES COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 11 miles away; BUTLER, MO)
- DSI - BUTLER RENAL CENTER (Dialysis Facility, about 11 miles away; BUTLER, MO)
- MEDICALODGES BUTLER (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; BUTLER, MO)
- HEARTLAND OF WILLOW LANE (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; BUTLER, MO)
- NURSING CTR (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; BUTLER, MO)
- WILLOW LANE NURSING CTR (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; BUTLER, MO)
- HEARTLAND HOSPICE SERVICES (Hospital, about 12 miles away; BUTLER, MO)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rich Hill:
- Pittsburg State University (about 53 miles; Pittsburg, KS; Full-time enrollment: 6,838)
- University of Central Missouri (about 57 miles; Warrensburg, MO; FT enrollment: 9,952)
- Allen County Community College (about 58 miles; Iola, KS; FT enrollment: 2,089)
- MidAmerica Nazarene University (about 59 miles; Olathe, KS; FT enrollment: 2,158)
- Wright Career College (about 61 miles; Overland Park, KS; FT enrollment: 3,107)
- Johnson County Community College (about 61 miles; Overland Park, KS; FT enrollment: 11,976)
- Southwest Baptist University (about 63 miles; Bolivar, MO; FT enrollment: 2,783)
Public high school in Rich Hill:
- Rich Hill High School (Students: 204; Location: 703 N Third; Grades: 7-12)
Private high school in Rich Hill:
Public elementary/middle school in Rich Hill:
- Rich Hill Elementary School (Students: 219; Location: 320 E Poplar St; Grades: K-6)
Notable locations in Rich Hill: Rich Hill Memorial Library (A), Rich Hill Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Rich Hill include: Prospect Park (1), Park Place (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Department of Conservation (Recreation Areas; RR 3 Box 223).
Hotel: Apache Motel & the Gift Shop (Highway 71 & B Highway).
Court: Rich Hill City - City Court Room (120 North 7th).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 77.0. This is about average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2006 was 0.256. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.3 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 2.11. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 20.3 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 0.680. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 20.3 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 31.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.3 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.32. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.3 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Rich Hill and their reported violations in the past:BATES CO PWSD 4 (Population served: 2,541, Purch surface water):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In SEP-2009, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (OCT-23-2009), St Public Notif requested (OCT-23-2009), St Public Notif received (NOV-30-2009), St Compliance achieved (JAN-22-2014)
- One routine major monitoring violation
(27.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 42.9% for Black residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for American Indian residents, 17.6% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Rich Hill compared to Missouri state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Rich Hill (2011 data):
- Security Bank: at 606 East Walnut, branch established on 1930/12/31. Info updated 2010/08/12: Bank assets: $41.6 mil, Deposits: $36.9 mil, local headquarters, negative income in the last year, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Bates County Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (48%)
- Electricity (30%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (15%)
- Wood (5%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Rich Hill city (based on Bates County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 56.91%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||United Methodist Church||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Catholic Church|
|Name||Lutheran Church||Assemblies of God||Community Church of Christ||Churches of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Bates County:||2.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||1.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Bates County:||1.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||0.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Bates County:||5.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||1||$2,657||$31,884||5||$710|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||1||$700|
|Police Protection - Officers||2||$5,137||$30,822||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||1||$2,312||$27,744||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||1||$2,267||$27,204||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||2||$3,720||$22,320||1||$1,063|
|Totals for Government||18||$39,060||$26,040||22||$6,053|
5.66% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,040 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Cass County, MO||1.31% ($30,092 average AGI)|
|from Jackson County, MO||0.69% ($25,800)|
|from Vernon County, MO||0.45% ($20,962)|
6.38% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($25,115 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Rich Hill:
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KKOW (860 AM; 10 kW; PITTSBURG, KS; Owner: AMERICAN MEDIA INVESTMENTS)
- KKHK (1250 AM; 25 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS)
- KMAM (1530 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BUTLER, MO; Owner: BATES COUNTY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KCSP (610 AM; 5 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: ENTERCOM KANSAS CITY LICENSE, LLC)
- KCMO (710 AM; 10 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: SUSQUEHANNA KANSAS CITY PARTNERSHIP)
- KCCV (760 AM; daytime; 6 kW; OVERLAND PARK, KS; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KFAQ (1170 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- KGGF (690 AM; 10 kW; COFFEYVILLE, KS; Owner: KGGF-KUSN, INC.)
- KNEM (1240 AM; 1 kW; NEVADA, MO; Owner: HARBIT COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- KCTE (1510 AM; daytime; 10 kW; INDEPENDENCE, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KXTR (1660 AM; 10 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS; Owner: ENTERCOM KANSAS CITY LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Rich Hill:
- KNMO-FM (97.5 FM; NEVADA, MO; Owner: HARBIT COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- KCFX (101.1 FM; HARRISONVILLE, MO; Owner: SUSQUEHANNA KANSAS CITY PARTNERSHIP)
- KMOE (92.1 FM; BUTLER, MO; Owner: BATES COUNTY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KOMB (103.9 FM; FORT SCOTT, KS; Owner: FORT SCOTT BROADCCASTING CO., INC.)
- KVCY (104.7 FM; FORT SCOTT, KS; Owner: VCY AMERICA, INC.)
- K206CH (89.1 FM; NEVADA, MO; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
Rich Hill fatal accident list:
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Rich Hill)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:7 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:3
- Se 1/4, Ne 1/4, Section 9, T 36n, R33w (Lat: 37.922250 Lon: -94.557444), Type: Tower, Structure height: 24 m, Overall height: 30 m, Call Sign: WPLG620
Assigned Frequencies: 173.262 MHz
Grant Date: 04/10/1997, Expiration Date: 04/10/2002, Cancellation Date: 08/11/2002, Certifier: Frank E Mc Gee
Registrant: Eic Systems Corporation, 101 Tower Circle Drive, Jackson, MO 63755, Fax: (573) 243-1457
- Mdc Four Rivers Conservation Area, Cr 1600 2.5 Miles South Of State Route Tt (Lat: 38.018639 Lon: -94.331611), Type: Tower, Structure height: 15 m, Overall height: 18 m, Call Sign: WPPH495
Assigned Frequencies: 151.220 MHz, 151.325 MHz, 151.355 MHz, 151.400 MHz, 151.445 MHz, 154.280 MHz, 159.240 MHz, 159.270 MHz, 159.345 MHz, 159.435 MHz, 159.450 MHz
Grant Date: 10/02/2004, Expiration Date: 12/29/2014, Certifier: E John Alberts
Registrant: Mdc-It Section/Telecom, 230 Commerce Drive, Suite 201, Jefferson City, MO 65109, Phone: (573) 751-4115, Fax: (573) 751-4865, Email:
- 100 E Linden (Lat: 38.091417 Lon: -94.371056), Call Sign: KDS895
Assigned Frequencies: 151.985 MHz
Grant Date: 04/17/2004, Expiration Date: 02/17/2014, Cancellation Date: 08/27/2012
Registrant: Cameron Communications, 153 W Dave Dugas Rd, Sulphur, LA 70664, Phone: (337) 583-2059, Fax: (337) 583-4738, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:4
- RICH HILL, 71 Hwy (Lat: 38.046694 Lon: -94.366056), Overall height: 79.6 m, Call Sign: WMS369
Assigned Frequencies: 2115.20 MHz
Grant Date: 05/04/2010, Expiration Date: 06/01/2020, Cancellation Date: 04/18/2011
Registrant: At&t Mobility LLC, 1120 20th Street, Nw, Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20036, Phone: (469) 229-7471, Fax: (469) 229-7297, Email:
- STATION, Hwy A 2 Mi W Of (Lat: 38.047528 Lon: -94.408000), Overall height: 56.1 m, Call Sign: WNEG787
Assigned Frequencies: 6815.00 MHz, 6765.00 MHz
Grant Date: 01/26/2000, Expiration Date: 01/27/2010, Cancellation Date: 03/06/2007
Registrant: Kamo Electric Cooperative Inc, 500 S Kamo Drive, Vinita, OK 74301, Phone: (918) 256-5551, Fax: (918) 256-8023, Email:
- Jennings KC13383, Route 3, Box 12 (Lat: 38.123639 Lon: -94.359667), Type: Pole, Structure height: 60.9 m, Call Sign: WPUB392, Licensee ID: L00152704
Assigned Frequencies: 6753.12 MHz
Grant Date: 02/28/2012, Expiration Date: 01/29/2022, Certifier: Toni A Defreece
Registrant: Sprint Spectrum L.P.
- KC13XC383, Route 3, Box 12 (Lat: 38.123333 Lon: -94.359444), Type: Ltower, Structure height: 57.9 m, Overall height: 58.5 m, Call Sign: WQQY527
Assigned Frequencies: 10935.0 MHz, 10975.0 MHz, 10935.0 MHz, 10975.0 MHz, 10935.0 MHz, 10975.0 MHz, 10935.0 MHz, 10975.0 MHz, 10935.0 MHz, 10975.0 MHz, 10935.0 MHz, 10975.0 MHz
Grant Date: 03/26/2013, Expiration Date: 03/26/2023, Certifier: Kyle B Entz
Registrant: Sprint Nextel Corporation, 12502 Sunrise Valley Drive, Reston, VA 20196, Phone: (703) 433-4000, Fax: (703) 433-4483
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: KB0YDV, Licensee ID: L00187941
Grant Date: 06/08/2007, Expiration Date: 08/02/2016, Certifier: Donald G Cole
Registrant: Donald G Cole, Rt Box 307, Rich Hill, MO 64779
- Call Sign: N0HMB, Previous Call Sign: KA0VZK, Licensee ID: L00692019
Grant Date: 05/01/2013, Expiration Date: 06/01/2023, Certifier: Michael W Jones
Registrant: Michael W Jones, 920 S Second, Rich Hill, MO 64779
- Call Sign: KI0RC, Previous Call Sign: KC0DKS, Licensee ID: L00170615
Grant Date: 03/04/2008, Expiration Date: 05/05/2018, Certifier: Galen D Clymer
Registrant: Galen D Clymer, 1002 South 4th Street, Rich Hill, MO 64779
FAA Registered Aircraft:5
- Aircraft: AERONCA 7AC (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR A&C65 SERIES (65 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 1209E , Serial Number: 7AC-4766, Year manufactured: 1946, Airworthiness Date: 08/28/1955
Registrant (Co-Owned): Robert E Jenkins, Rt 3 Box 230, Rich Hill, MO 64779, Other Owners: Trevor A Jenkins
- Aircraft: AERONCA 50-L (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 75 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-145A SERIES (55 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 23952 , Serial Number: L6089, Year manufactured: 1939, Airworthiness Date: 01/26/1956
Registrant (Corporation): Timberstone Farm Inc, Po Box 97, Rich Hill, MO 64779
- Aircraft: BEECH A36TC (Category: Land, Seats: 6, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: CONT MOTOR TSIO-520 SER (300 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 514HR , Serial Number: EA-70, Year manufactured: 1980, Airworthiness Date: 02/27/1980
Registrant (Individual): David Jungerman, Rr 3 Box 250b, Rich Hill, MO 64779
- Aircraft: CESSNA 170A (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR C145 SERIES (145 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 5773C , Serial Number: 19727, Year manufactured: 1950, Airworthiness Date: 12/11/1955
Registrant (Corporation): Timberstone Farm Inc, Rr 1 Box 150, Rich Hill, MO 64779
- Aircraft: RAYTHEON AIRCRAFT COMPANY A36 (Category: Land, Seats: 6, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: Reciprocating
N-Number: 7YF , Serial Number: E-3496
Registrant (Co-Owned): Terry R Hoeper, 123 S 6th St, Rich Hill, MO 64779, Other Owners: Dixie J Hoeper
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 26
- Hazardous Condition: 2
Incident types - Rich Hill
|Most common first names in Rich Hill, MO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Rich Hill, MO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Businesses in Rich Hill, MO
- U-Haul: 1