|Median resident age:||42.6 years|
|Georgia median age:||33.4 years|
Zip code: 30540
Rich Mountain CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $144,047 (it was $91,900 in 2000)
- White alone - 3,407 (96.2%)
- Hispanic - 85 (2.4%)
- Two or more races - 28 (0.8%)
- Black alone - 9 (0.3%)
- American Indian alone - 7 (0.2%)
- Asian alone - 3 (0.08%)
- Other race alone - 3 (0.08%)
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 138.2 square miles.
Population density: 31 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Rich Mountain:
- High school or higher: 69.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.1%
- Unemployed: 2.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rich Mountain CCD:
- Never married: 15.7%
- Now married: 68.0%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 7.1%
- Divorced: 9.2%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Rich Mountain CCD:||0.6% ($554)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Roswell, GA (45.3 miles , pop. 79,334).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Atlanta, GA (64.4 miles , pop. 416,474).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (526.8 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Cherry Log, GA (2.7 miles) , East Ellijay, GA (2.8 miles ), Cartecay, GA (2.8 miles ), Ellijay, GA (2.9 miles ), Blue Ridge, GA (3.5 miles ), Carters Lake, GA (3.6 miles ), Morganton, GA (3.7 miles ), Talking Rock, GA (4.0 miles) .
Latitude: 34.69 N, Longitude: 84.34 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 706
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (18%)
- Textile mills and textile products (8%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Truck transportation (6%)
- Food (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Textile mills and textile products (8%)
- Health care (8%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Food (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (11%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (3%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (3%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (8%)
- Customer service representatives (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Child care workers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (4%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (4%)
Average climate in Rich Mountain, Georgia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Rich Mountain-area historical tornado activity is near Georgia state average. It is 35% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 16.5 miles away from the Rich Mountain place center killed 6 people and injured 30 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 3/27/1994, a category F4 tornado 18.0 miles away from the place center killed 3 people and injured 20 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Rich Mountain-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Georgia state average. It is 80% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 74.8 miles away from the city center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 119.8 miles away from Rich Mountain center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 79.7 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 244.2 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 189.3 miles away from Rich Mountain center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 326.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Gilmer County (7) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 3, Tornadoes: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Flood: 1, Snowfall: 1, Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Rich Mountain:
- DAVITA ELLIJAY DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 9 miles away; ELLIJAY, GA)
- NORTH GEORGIA MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 9 miles away; ELLIJAY, GA)
- FMC DIALYSIS SERVICES ELLIJAY (Dialysis Facility, about 10 miles away; ELLIJAY, GA)
- HERITAGE HEALTHCARE OF BLUE RIDGE (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; BLUE RIDGE, GA)
- UNITED HOSPICE, INC BLUE RIDGE (Hospital, about 14 miles away; BLUE RIDGE, GA)
- GRANDVIEW HEALTH CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; JASPER, GA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rich Mountain:
- University of North Georgia (about 23 miles; Dahlonega, GA; Full-time enrollment: 12,445)
- Dalton State College (about 39 miles; Dalton, GA; FT enrollment: 3,846)
- Brenau University (about 40 miles; Gainesville, GA; FT enrollment: 2,341)
- Lanier Technical College (about 42 miles; Oakwood, GA; FT enrollment: 2,435)
- Lee University (about 45 miles; Cleveland, TN; FT enrollment: 4,422)
- Piedmont College (about 46 miles; Demorest, GA; FT enrollment: 2,251)
- Cleveland State Community College (about 47 miles; Cleveland, TN; FT enrollment: 2,500)
Notable locations in Rich Mountain: Protection (A), Camp Patoka (B), Gilmer County Fire Department Station 4 (C), Gilmer County Fire Department Station 3 (D), Gilmer County Fire Department Station 2 (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Rich Mountain include: Tickanetley Primitive Baptist Church (A), Pisgah Church (B), Christian Church (C), East Liberty Church (D), Pisgah Church (E), Mount Pleasant Church (F), Little Ebenezer Church (G), Macedonia Church (H), Scrougetown Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: River Hill Baptist Church Cemetery (1), Rock Creek Baptist Church Cemetery (2), Tickanetley Primitive Baptist Church (3), Cartecay United Methodist Church Cemetery (4), Ebenezer Baptist Church Cemetery (5), Macedonia Baptist Church Cemetery (6), Mount Pleasant Baptist Church Cemetery Number 2 (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Clotfelter Lake (A), Sailors Lake (B), Little Turniptown Creek Lake (C), Powell Lake (D), Dakwa Lake (E), Diamond Lake (F), Lovejoy Lake (G), Johnson Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Weaver Creek (A), Vandegriff Creek (B), Turnpike Branch (C), Tickanetley Creek (D), Stover Creek (E), Simons Branch (F), Rolston Creek (G), Roger Laurel Branch (H), Pink Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Rich Mountain: Rich Mountain Wildlife Management Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 69.5. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2007 was 1.61. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 17.7 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 39.9. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 17.7 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.7% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Rich Mountain compared to Georgia state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (64%)
- Electricity (15%)
- Wood (11%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (6%)
- Utility gas (3%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Rich Mountain CCD (based on Gilmer County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 36.85%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Old Missionary Baptists Associations||United Methodist Church||Churches of Christ||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)|
|Name||Catholic Church||International Pentecostal Holiness Church||Seventh-Day Adventist Church||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Gilmer County:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||1.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|Gilmer County:||0.71 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||0.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Gilmer County:||5.30 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.41 / 10,000 pop.|
6.38% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($43,081 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Pickens County, GA||0.63% ($20,140 average AGI)|
|from Fannin County, GA||0.43% ($27,487)|
|from Cherokee County, GA||0.38% ($34,629)|
6.84% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,931 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Rich Mountain:
- WCNN (680 AM; 50 kW; NORTH ATLANTA, GA; Owner: DICKEY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WFTD (1080 AM; daytime; 50 kW; MARIETTA, GA; Owner: PRIETO ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- WSB (750 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WDGR (1210 AM; daytime; 10 kW; DAHLONEGA, GA; Owner: SMALL TOWN RADIO OF GEORGIA, INC.)
- WFLI (1070 AM; 50 kW; LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: WFLI, INC.)
- WMLB (1160 AM; 50 kW; EAST POINT, GA; Owner: ATLANTA AREA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDUN (550 AM; 10 kW; GAINESVILLE, GA; Owner: JWJ PROPERTIRS, INC.)
- WAZX (1550 AM; 50 kW; SMYRNA, GA; Owner: GA-MEX BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WGUN (1010 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: WGUN, INC.)
- WPGY (1560 AM; daytime; 1 kW; ELLIJAY, GA; Owner: TRI-STATE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WQXI (790 AM; 28 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: JEFFERSON-PILOT COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY OF GEORGIA)
Strongest FM radio stations in Rich Mountain:
- WNSY (100.1 FM; TALKING ROCK, GA; Owner: CHARLES A. MCCLURE)
- W234AG (94.7 FM; CHATSWORTH, GA; Owner: IMMANUEL BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- W221AW (92.1 FM; NORTH CANTON, GA; Owner: IMMANUEL BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- W214AS (90.7 FM; WALESKA, GA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- WLJA-FM (93.5 FM; ELLIJAY, GA; Owner: TRI-STATE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WPPL (103.9 FM; BLUE RIDGE, GA; Owner: FANNIN COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WFQS (91.3 FM; FRANKLIN, NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WCVP-FM (95.9 FM; ROBBINSVILLE, NC; Owner: CHEROKEE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WFOX (97.1 FM; GAINESVILLE, GA; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WWEV-FM (91.5 FM; CUMMING, GA; Owner: CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT FOUNDATION)
- WYAY (106.7 FM; GAINESVILLE, GA; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WNGC (106.1 FM; TOCCOA, GA; Owner: SOUTHERN BROADCASTING OF PENSACOLA, INC)
- WQMT (98.9 FM; CHATSWORTH, GA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WNGU (89.5 FM; DAHLONEGA, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WKHC (104.3 FM; DAHLONEGA, GA; Owner: WILLIAMS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCCV (91.7 FM; CARTERSVILLE, GA; Owner: IMMANUEL BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WCON-FM (99.3 FM; CORNELIA, GA; Owner: HABERSHAM BROADCASTING CO.)
TV broadcast stations around Rich Mountain:
- W50AB (Channel 50; HIAWASSEE, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WFLI-TV (Channel 53; CLEVELAND, TN; Owner: CHATTANOOGA MEDIA HOLDINGS, L.L.C.)
- WPXA (Channel 14; ROME, GA; Owner: PAXSON ATLANTA LICENSE, INC.)
- WCLP-TV (Channel 18; CHATSWORTH, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)