|Median resident age:||34.1 years|
|New Mexico median age:||34.6 years|
Zip code: 87510
Rio Chama CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $134,593 (it was $97,200 in 2000)
- Hispanic - 3,028 (80.2%)
- White alone - 642 (17.0%)
- Two or more races - 48 (1.3%)
- American Indian alone - 30 (0.8%)
- Other race alone - 18 (0.5%)
- Asian alone - 7 (0.2%)
- Black alone - 4 (0.1%)
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Land area: 386.9 square miles.
Population density: 9.7 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Rio Chama:
- High school or higher: 77.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 21.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.6%
- Unemployed: 4.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 35.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rio Chama CCD:
- Never married: 33.6%
- Now married: 52.7%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 4.9%
- Divorced: 8.8%
According to our research of New Mexico and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Rio Chama, New Mexico as of May 06, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Rio Chama to the number of sex offenders is 3,734 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is a lot smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Rio Chama CCD:||0.4% ($348)|
|New Mexico:||0.7% ($699)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Santa Fe, NM (46.6 miles , pop. 62,203).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Albuquerque, NM (84.2 miles , pop. 448,607).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (381.0 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: El Rito, NM (2.3 miles ), Abiquiu, NM (2.6 miles ), Canones, NM (3.5 miles) , Chili, NM (3.8 miles ), Canjilon, NM (4.0 miles ), San Lorenzo, NM (4.1 miles) , El Duende, NM (4.2 miles ), Los Luceros, NM (4.2 miles ).
Latitude: 36.30 N, Longitude: 106.27 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 505
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (17%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (8%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (8%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Truck transportation (5%)
- Health care (18%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Public administration (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (6%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8%)
- Electricians (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (4%)
- Construction laborers (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (3%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Waiters and waitresses (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
Average climate in Rio Chama, New Mexico
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Rio Chama-area historical earthquake activity is near New Mexico state average. It is 154% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 93.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/1992 at 11:57:34, a magnitude 7.6 (6.2 MB, 7.6 MS, 7.3 MW, Depth: 0.7 mi, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 597.7 miles away from Rio Chama center, causing 3 deaths (1 shaking deaths, 2 other deaths) and 400 injuries, causing $100,000,000 total damage and $40,000,000 insured losses
On 10/16/1999 at 09:46:44, a magnitude 7.4 (6.3 MB, 7.4 MS, 7.2 MW, 7.3 ML) earthquake occurred 586.1 miles away from the city center
On 1/29/1990 at 13:16:10, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 LG, Depth: 7.5 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 131.4 miles away from the city center
On 1/3/2007 at 14:34:38, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.4 MW, 4.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 92.9 miles away from Rio Chama center
On 8/1/2004 at 06:50:47, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 75.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Rio Arriba County (9) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 3, Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Snows: 2, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rio Chama:
- Santa Fe Community College (about 52 miles; Santa Fe, NM; Full-time enrollment: 3,047)
- New Mexico Highlands University (about 76 miles; Las Vegas, NM; FT enrollment: 2,931)
- University of Phoenix-Albuquerque Campus (about 79 miles; Albuquerque, NM; FT enrollment: 2,335)
- Adams State University (about 85 miles; Alamosa, CO; FT enrollment: 2,805)
- University of New Mexico-Main Campus (about 87 miles; Albuquerque, NM; FT enrollment: 23,042)
- Central New Mexico Community College (about 87 miles; Albuquerque, NM; FT enrollment: 19,398)
- San Juan College (about 111 miles; Farmington, NM; FT enrollment: 5,112)
Notable locations in Rio Chama: Quarter Circle Ranch (A), Rancho de Abiquiu (B), Trujillo School (C), El Palacio Ranch (D), El Rito Picnic Grounds (E), FAA Electronic Site (F), Santa Rosa de Lima de Abiquiu (G), Cerrito Recreation Site (H), East Morada at Abiquiu Historic Site (I), El Rito District Ranger Office (J), El Rito Weather Station (K), El Rito Public Library (L), Abiquiu Fire Protection District Main Station (M), Abiquiu Fire Protection District Station 2 (N), El Rito Volunteer Fire Department (O), Delgado Hall Historic Site (P). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Rio Chama include: El Rito Community United Methodist Church (A), Vallecitos United Methodist Church (B), San Antonio Church (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Laguna Chico (A), Laguna Cerro Negro (B), Curve Tank (C), Corrales Tank (D), Cuchillas Trick Tank (E), Pine Canyon Tank (F), Madera Tank (G), Lucas Tank (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Abiquiu Creek (A), Pueblo Arroyo (B), Gallina Creek (C), Ojito Chico (D), Vallecitos Creek (E), La Canada (F), Arroyo de las Lemitas (G), Arroyo de los Pinavetes (H), El Rito (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Rio Chama include: Dominguez-Velez de Escalente Trail Historical Marker (1), El Rito Historical Marker (2), Old Spanish Trail Historical Marker (3), Abiquiu Historical Marker (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.4 people|
|New Mexico:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 1.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.6% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Rio Chama compared to New Mexico state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (61%)
- Wood (28%)
- Electricity (5%)
- Other fuel (3%)
- Utility gas (2%)
- Solar energy (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Rio Chama CCD (based on Rio Arriba County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 63.21%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||International Church of the Foursquare Gospel||LDS (Mormon) Church||Assemblies of God||United Methodist Church|
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Seventh-Day Adventist Church||Reformed Church in America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Rio Arriba County:||1.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Mexico:||1.44 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|Rio Arriba County:||0.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Mexico:||0.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Rio Arriba County:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Rio Arriba County:||21.0%|
4.87% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,246 average adjusted gross income)
|New Mexico average:||6.50%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Santa Fe County, NM||1.19% ($27,329 average AGI)|
|from Bernalillo County, NM||0.69% ($25,474)|
|from San Juan County, NM||0.69% ($27,278)|
5.20% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,104 average adjusted gross income)
|New Mexico average:||6.43%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Rio Chama:
- KKOB (770 AM; 50 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KDCE (950 AM; 4 kW; ESPANOLA, NM; Owner: RICHARD L. GARCIA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KSWV (810 AM; 5 kW; SANTA FE, NM; Owner: LA VOZ BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KTNN (660 AM; 50 kW; WINDOW ROCK, AZ; Owner: THE NAVAJO NATION)
- KTRC (1260 AM; 5 kW; SANTA FE, NM; Owner: AGM NEVADA, LLC)
- KHAC (880 AM; 43 kW; TSE BONITO, NM; Owner: WESTERN INDIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- KKIM (1000 AM; 10 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: AGM-NEVADA, LLC)
- KNMX (540 AM; 5 kW; LAS VEGAS, NM; Owner: SANGRE DE CRISTO B/DCASTING CO, INC)
- KXKS (1190 AM; 10 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KICA (980 AM; 50 kW; CLOVIS, NM; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KINF (1020 AM; 50 kW; ROSWELL, NM; Owner: JAMES CRYSTAL HOLDINGS OF NEW MEXICO, INC.)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Rio Chama:
- KBOM (94.7 FM; SANTA FE, NM; Owner: AGM NEVADA, LLC)
- KTAO (101.9 FM; TAOS, NM; Owner: TAOS COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- KSFQ (101.1 FM; WHITE ROCK, NM; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KZNM (106.7 FM; LOS ALAMOS, NM; Owner: AGM NEVADA, LLC)
- KQBA (107.5 FM; LOS ALAMOS, NM; Owner: HUTTON MEDIA, L.L.C.)
- K244DO (96.7 FM; ALAMOSA, ETC., CO; Owner: SAN LUIS VALLEY TELEVISION, INC.)
- KAJZ (105.1 FM; SANTA FE, NM; Owner: HBC LICENSE CORPORATION)
- KABG (98.5 FM; LOS ALAMOS, NM; Owner: AGM-NEVADA, L.L.C.)
- KRZY-FM (105.9 FM; SANTA FE, NM; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KBAC (104.1 FM; SANTA FE, NM; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KKSS (97.3 FM; SANTA FE, NM; Owner: HBC LICENSE CORPORATION)
- KRZA (88.7 FM; ALAMOSA, CO; Owner: EQUAL REPRESENTATION/MEDIA ADVOCACY)
- KHFM (95.5 FM; SANTA FE, NM; Owner: AGM-NEVADA L.L.C)
- KTZO (103.3 FM; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KLYT (88.3 FM; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CONNECTION COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATION, INC.)
- KRST (92.3 FM; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KUNM (89.9 FM; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: BOARD OF REGENTS UNIV. OF NEW MEXICO)
- KANW (89.1 FM; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: BD. OF EDUC. CITY OF ALBUQUERQUE, NM)
- KKOB-FM (93.3 FM; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KBZU (96.3 FM; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)