Rio Grande City, Texas
Rio Grande City: Grandfather Barber Shop in Rio Grande City,Texas
Rio Grande City: Grandfather Barber Shop in Rio Grande City,Texas
Rio Grande City: the Grotto
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||31.0 years|
|Texas median age:||34.4 years|
Zip codes: 78582.
|Rio Grande City:||$30,958|
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $16,592 (it was $9,684 in 2000)
Rio Grande City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $89,859 (it was $41,200 in 2000)
|Rio Grande City:||$89,859|
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $105,271; Detached houses: $110,789; Mobile homes: $19,922
Median gross rent in 2015: $554.
Races in Rio Grande City, TX (2010)
- 6534.7%White alone
- 1050.8%Asian alone
- 150.1%Two or more races
- 70.05%American Indian alone
- 50.04%Black alone
- 50.04%Other race alone
|Worst Small Town In Texas (133 replies)|
|Best and Worst City in Texas to Live in ? (316 replies)|
|Impressions of Laredo, Brownsville, and Mcallen (34 replies)|
|What 10 things make a person "A Texan"? (103 replies)|
|California Style Mexican Food in Houston (155 replies)|
|New to McAllen (22 replies)|
Latest news from Rio Grande City, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 200 feet
Land area: 7.59 square miles.
Population density: 1,875 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Rio Grande City:
- High school or higher: 59.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.7%
- Unemployed: 17.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 17.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rio Grande City city:
- Never married: 30.1%
- Now married: 46.5%
- Separated: 6.9%
- Widowed: 5.7%
- Divorced: 10.8%
4,220 residents are foreign born (28.8% Latin America).
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 45 registered sex offenders living in Rio Grande City, Texas as of December 17, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Rio Grande City to the number of sex offenders is 310 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $2,348 (2.0%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $795 (1.2%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: McAllen, TX (37.8 miles , pop. 106,414).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Corpus Christi, TX (128.4 miles , pop. 277,454).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: San Antonio, TX (213.2 miles , pop. 1,144,646).
Nearest cities: Fernando Salinas, TX (1.2 miles) , San Fernando, TX (1.4 miles) , Valle Hermoso, TX (1.4 miles) , Airport Heights, TX (1.5 miles) , El Mesquite, TX (1.7 miles) , Las Lomas, TX (1.7 miles ), La Escondida, TX (1.9 miles) , Mi Ranchito Estate, TX (1.9 miles ).
Latitude: 26.38 N, Longitude: 98.82 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +3,478 (+23.7%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 3,170 (61.3%)
Area code: 956
|Crime rates in Rio Grande City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 286.7)||300.2||311.1||212.7||319.6||293.9||216.4||310.1||327.5||356.8||231.3||265.3||200.6||251.5||202.3||144.7|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Rio Grande City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.99|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (21%)
- Educational services (17%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (9%)
- Retail trade (7%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (33%)
- Educational services (30%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Other services, except public administration (7%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (20%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (8%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (8%)
- Transportation occupations (6%)
- Management occupations (6%)
- Sales and related occupations (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (6%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (22%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (19%)
- Personal care and service occupations (11%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (9%)
- Sales and related occupations (9%)
- Health technologists and technicians (6%)
- Management occupations (6%)
Average climate in Rio Grande City, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Rio Grande City-area historical earthquake activity is below Texas state average. It is 82% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/23/2007 at 19:09:15, a magnitude 5.6 (5.4 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 347.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 386.4 miles away from Rio Grande City center
On 4/9/1993 at 12:29:19, a magnitude 4.3 (4.1 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 173.4 miles away from the city center
On 3/24/1997 at 22:31:34, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 103.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/7/2008 at 09:51:12, a magnitude 3.9 (3.9 MB, 3.9 MW, 3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 182.0 miles away from Rio Grande City center
On 7/20/1991 at 23:38:19, a magnitude 3.6 (3.4 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 181.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Starr County (13) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 8, Floods: 3, Storms: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Winds: 2, Fire: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Tropical Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: William G. Harrell - Marine Corps Medal of Honor recipient, Ricardo Sanchez - General, Ricardo Hinojosa - Federal judge.
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Rio Grande City: William George Harrell.
Hospitals and medical centers in Rio Grande City:
- STARR COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (Government - Hospital District or Authority, 128 N FM RD 3167)
- RETAMA MANOR NURSING CENTER/RIO GRANDE CITY (400 S PETE DIAZ JR AVE)
- RIO GRANDE CITY NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTER (2530 CENTRAL PALM DR)
- FMC - RIO GRANDE CITY (2533 CENTRAL PALM DR)
- US RENAL CARE RIO GRANDE DIALYSIS (2787 PHARMACY RD)
- ANGELITOS PREVENTIVE HEALTH CARE (2544 CENTRAL PALM DRIVE SUITE 107)
- LVN HEALTH CARE (304 NORTH FLORES STREET)
- MY SWEET HOME HOME HEALTH CARE (1691 EAST SAN BENITO STREET SUITE A)
- PERFECT CHOICE HEALTH CARE SERVICES INC (213 W SECOND STREET)
- SUNGLO HOME HEALTH SERVICES INC (100 EAST 2ND STREET)
airports located in Rio Grande City:
- Rio Grande City Municipal Airport (67R) (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 1,500, Local Ops: 50)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rio Grande City:
- South Texas College (about 37 miles; McAllen, TX; Full-time enrollment: 19,701)
- The University of Texas-Pan American (about 41 miles; Edinburg, TX; FT enrollment: 16,766)
- Texas State Technical College-Harlingen (about 73 miles; Harlingen, TX; FT enrollment: 3,700)
- Laredo Community College (about 90 miles; Laredo, TX; FT enrollment: 9,743)
- The University of Texas at Brownsville (about 90 miles; Brownsville, TX; FT enrollment: 9,165)
- Texas A & M International University (about 91 miles; Laredo, TX; FT enrollment: 5,203)
- Texas A & M University-Kingsville (about 98 miles; Kingsville, TX; FT enrollment: 9,295)
Public high schools in Rio Grande City:
- RIO GRANDE CITY H S (Students: 2,731, Location: FM 755, Grades: 9-12)
- IGNITE PUB SCH AND COM SERV CTR AT RIO GRANDE CITY (Location: 5103 S EMBASSY, Grades: PK-12, Charter school)
- RIO GRANDE CITY CISD GRULLA H S (Location: 6884 E HW 83, Grades: 9-12)
- PREPARATORY FOR EARLY COLLEGE H S (Location: 144 FM 3167, Grades: 9)
Biggest public elementary/middle schools in Rio Grande City:
- RINGGOLD MIDDLE (Students: 806, Location: 144 FM 3167, Grades: 6-8)
- GENERAL RICARDO SANCHEZ EL (Students: 763, Location: 2801 W EISENHOWER ST, Grades: PK-5)
- ROQUE GUERRA JR EL (Students: 679, Location: 1600 W MAIN ST, Grades: PK-5)
- ALTO BONITO EL (Students: 646, Location: 753 FM 2360, Grades: PK-5)
- NORTH GRAMMAR EL (Students: 581, Location: 1400 N LOPEZ ST, Grades: PK-5)
- JOHN & OLIVE HINOJOSA EL (Students: 556, Location: 2448 EMBASSY ST, Grades: PK-5)
- DR MARIO E RAMIREZ EL (Students: 536, Location: 8001 TROPHY RD, Grades: PK-5)
- RINGGOLD EL (Location: 1 S FORT RINGGOLD, Grades: PK-5)
- VETERANS MIDDLE (Location: 2700 W EISENHOWER ST, Grades: 6-8)
- RAMIRO BARRERA MIDDLE (Location: 258 N FM 649, Grades: 6-8)
Private elementary/middle school in Rio Grande City:
Notable locations in Rio Grande City: Fort Ringgold Historic District (A), LaBorde House, Store and Hotel (B), Rio Grande City Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Rio Grande City: Primera Iglesia Bautista Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in Rio Grande City include: San Juan Plaza (1), Main Plaza (2), Fort Ringgold Historic Site (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: Best Western Garden Inn (4758 Highway 83 West), Bertha's Motel & Apartments (610 East 2nd Street).
(100.0% for Black residents, 30.9% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 46.2% for American Indian residents, 34.3% for other race residents)
|This city:||3.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
People in group quarters in Rio Grande City in 2010:
- 607 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 140 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 25 people in other noninstitutional facilities
People in group quarters in Rio Grande City in 2000:
- 279 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 85 people in nursing homes
- 6 people in religious group quarters
- 4 people in other nonhousehold living situations
Banks with branches in Rio Grande City (2011 data):
- International Bank of Commerce: Rio Grande City Heb In Store Branch, Ibc-Rio Grande Branch, Ibc-Rio Grande Wal-Mart Instore Bran. Info updated 2007/04/10: Bank assets: $504.9 mil, Deposits: $413.1 mil, headquarters in Zapata, TX, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 12 total offices, Holding Company: International Bancshares Corporation
- Lone Star National Bank: Rio Grande City Branch at 2300 East Highway 83, branch established on 2000/08/01; Rio Grande West Branch at 201 North Texas Street, branch established on 2011/01/03. Info updated 2010/05/05: Bank assets: $2,174.7 mil, Deposits: $1,815.0 mil, headquarters in Pharr, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 27 total offices, Holding Company: Lone Star National Bancshares--texas, Inc.
- Citizens State Bank: Branch at 2546 Central Palm Dr Ste 101, branch established on 2008/11/07. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $78.4 mil, Deposits: $63.5 mil, headquarters in Roma, TX, positive income, 2 total offices
- Elsa State Bank and Trust Company: Starr Banking Center Branch at 712 West Main, branch established on 1992/09/21. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $167.6 mil, Deposits: $152.7 mil, headquarters in Elsa, TX, positive income, 6 total offices
- First National Bank: , Rio Grande City at 5332 E. Highway 83, branch established on 2003/11/30. Info updated 2007/09/20: Bank assets: $3,517.0 mil, Deposits: $2,598.8 mil, headquarters in Edinburg, TX, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 58 total offices, Holding Company: First National Bank Group, Inc.
- Compass Bank: Rio Grande City Branch at 100 North Britton Avenue, branch established on 1983/10/03. Info updated 2011/02/24: Bank assets: $63,107.0 mil, Deposits: $46,232.4 mil, headquarters in Birmingham, AL, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 720 total offices, Holding Company: Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, S.A.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Rio Grande City city (based on Starr County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Starr County:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Starr County:||2.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Starr County:||2.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||2.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
|Rio Grande City:||47.3%|
|Rio Grande City:||22.8%|
|Rio Grande City:||13.4%|
|Rio Grande City:||6.8|
More about Health and Nutrition of Rio Grande City, TX Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||11||$42,329||$46,177||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||4||$9,320||$27,960||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||28||$115,004||$49,287||0||$0|
|Police - Other||12||$36,031||$36,031||0||$0|
|Fire - Other||1||$2,805||$33,660||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||23||$54,969||$28,679||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||119||$372,383||$37,551||2||$1,299|
Rio Grande City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $1,564,000 ($109.93)
Police Protection: $1,127,000 ($79.22)
Central Staff Services: $729,000 ($51.24)
Regular Highways: $489,000 ($34.37)
Fire Protection: $479,000 ($33.67)
Sewerage: $468,000 ($32.90)
Judicial and Legal Services: $90,000 ($6.33)
Financial Administration: $67,000 ($4.71)
- General - Interest on Debt: $75,000 ($5.27)
- Other Capital Outlay - Central Staff: $300,000 ($21.09)
Police Protection: $49,000 ($3.44)
Fire Protection: $2,000 ($0.14)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $1,759,000 ($123.64)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $159,000 ($11.18)
Rio Grande City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $703,000 ($49.41)
All Other: $23,000 ($1.62)
- Federal Intergovernmental - All Other: $43,000 ($3.02)
Water Utilities: $2,000 ($0.14)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $847,000 ($59.53)
Interest Earnings: $30,000 ($2.11)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $1,479,000 ($103.96)
- State Intergovernmental - Water Utilities: $140,000 ($9.84)
- Tax - Total General Sales: $1,523,000 ($107.05)
Public Utilities: $456,000 ($32.05)
NEC: $65,000 ($4.57)
Other Selective Sales: $40,000 ($2.81)
Rio Grande City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $3,247,000 ($228.23)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $1,254,000 ($88.14)
- Long Term Debt Issue, Unspecified - Other NEC: $419,000 ($29.45)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $1,335,000 ($93.84)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $3,082,000 ($216.63)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $338,000 ($23.76)
Water Utilities: $165,000 ($11.60)
Rio Grande City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $330,000 ($23.20)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $427,000 ($30.01)
3.01% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($26,376 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Hidalgo County, TX||1.10% ($27,585 average AGI)|
|from Harris County, TX||0.29% ($23,564)|
|from Zapata County, TX||0.12% ($32,682)|
4.22% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,155 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Rio Grande City:
- KGBT (1530 AM; 50 kW; HARLINGEN, TX; Owner: TICHENOR LICENSE CORPORATION)
- KURV (710 AM; 10 kW; EDINBURG, TX; Owner: VOICE OF VALLEY AGRICULTURE, INC.)
- KUBR (1210 AM; 10 kW; SAN JUAN, TX; Owner: PAULINO BERNAL)
- KRIO (910 AM; 5 kW; MCALLEN, TX; Owner: RIO GRANDE BIBLE INSTITUTE, INC.)
- KVJY (840 AM; 5 kW; PHARR, TX; Owner: RADIO UNICA OF MCALLEN LICENSE CORP.)
- KCTA (1030 AM; 50 kW; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX; Owner: BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF THE SOUTHWEST)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KTKR (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KRGE (1290 AM; 5 kW; WESLACO, TX; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES OF THE VALLEY)
- KQXX (1700 AM; 10 kW; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Owner: LA NUEVA KBOR, INC.)
- KVOZ (890 AM; 12 kW; DEL MAR HILLS, TX; Owner: CONSOLIDATED RADIO, INC.)
- KBOR (1600 AM; 10 kW; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Owner: LA NUEVA KBOR, INC.)
- WOAI (1200 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Rio Grande City:
- KQBO (103.1 FM; RIO GRANDE CITY, TX; Owner: SOUND INVESTMENTS UNLIMITED, INC.)
- KBMI (97.7 FM; ROMA, TX; Owner: HORIZON BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Rio Grande City:
- K06MY (Channel 6; RIO GRANDE CITY, TX; Owner: FAITH PLEASES GOD CHURCH CORPORATION)
Fatal accident count (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 16m52ftTotal length
- 96,100Total average daily traffic
- 6,876Total average daily truck traffic
- 142,460Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 216
- Hazardous Condition: 100
- Service Call: 1
- Good Intent Call: 2
Incident types - Rio Grande City
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Rio Grande City, Texas:
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites, 5274 E Us Hwy 83, Rio Grande City, Texas 78582 , Phone: (956) 487-7772, Fax: (956) 488-2320
- Quality Inn, 4758 East Hwy 83, Rio Grande City, Texas 78582 , Phone: (956) 488-0866, Fax: (956) 716-1611
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (87%)
- Utility gas (9%)
- No fuel used (4%)
|Businesses in Rio Grande City, TX|
|Best Western||1||Lane Furniture||1|
|Burger King||1||Little Caesars Pizza||1|
|Chevrolet||1||Long John Silver's||1|
Rio Grande City compared to Texas state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
Rio Grande City on our top lists:
- #11 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most people below 50% of the poverty level, excluding cities with 15% or more of residents in college and with the median age below 28 (population 5,000+)"
- #26 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the lowest percentage of English-only speaking households, population 5,000+"
- #85 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most people below the poverty level, excluding cities with 15% or more of residents in college and with the median age below 28 (population 5,000+)"
- #74 (78582) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of taxpayers reporting profit/loss from business in 2012 (pop 5,000+)"
- #1 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people moving out compared to moving in (pop. 50,000+)"
- #2 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest increase in the number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2006 to 2007-2013 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #6 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest ground withdrawal of fresh water for public supply"
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Obama (Democrat) in the 2012 Presidential Election (pop. 50,000+)"
- #8 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest percentage of residents relocating from other counties between 2010 and 2011 (pop. 50,000+)"
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2017.