Rockdale: Looking west from hilltop west of Downtown Texas, Followup to my 2008 pix(what a little water can do)
Rockdale: Entering Rockdale North bound on FM 487 @ US79 (South Wilcox St. @ West Cameron Ave.) City Hall driveway on left.
Rockdale: Downtown Texas 7 miles north of Rockdale on N. FM 908,(aka Apache Pass Texas) Great Food sold here!
Rockdale: Green St. Rockdale, TX
Rockdale: The Early Rockdale
Rockdale: 5 miles n/w on fm 908 from Rockdale,Tx.
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||38.0 years|
|Texas median age:||34.0 years|
Zip codes: 76567.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $18,929 (it was $17,618 in 2000)
Rockdale city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $66,154 (it was $46,500 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $661.
Races in Rockdale, TX (2013)
- 3,17155.7%White alone
- 5619.9%Black alone
- 1973.5%Two or more races
- 801.4%Asian alone
- 150.3%American Indian alone
|considering moving to central Texas with multiracial teens (35 replies)|
|Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II (4309 replies)|
|40% Rain Today More like 0 (7 replies)|
|House Recommendation (5 replies)|
|Moving from VA to (Central) Texas. Advice Please ( (30 replies)|
|hutto water (5 replies)|
Latest news from Rockdale, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (17.1%), Irish (6.6%), Czech (5.0%), English (4.6%), United States (4.5%), French (2.1%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 3.13 square miles.
Population density: 1,727 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Rockdale:
- High school or higher: 86.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 23.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.0%
- Unemployed: 3.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rockdale city:
- Never married: 28.8%
- Now married: 44.1%
- Separated: 6.1%
- Widowed: 6.0%
- Divorced: 15.1%
212 residents are foreign born (2.4% Latin America, 0.6% Asia).
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 48 registered sex offenders living in Rockdale, Texas as of October 08, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Rockdale to the number of sex offenders is 113 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $1,309 (2.1%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $856 (1.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Temple, TX (37.0 miles , pop. 54,514).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Austin, TX (50.4 miles , pop. 656,562).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (115.0 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Milano, TX (3.1 miles ), Thorndale, TX (3.5 miles ), Gause-Milano, TX (3.6 miles ), Davilla, TX (3.7 miles ), Cameron, TX (3.7 miles ), Lexington, TX (4.1 miles ), Buckholts, TX (4.1 miles ), Sandoval, TX (4.1 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $164,500
- 1998: 8 buildings, average cost: $67,500
- 1999: 4 buildings, average cost: $101,400
- 2000: 4 buildings, average cost: $117,500
- 2001: 4 buildings, average cost: $117,500
- 2002: 17 buildings, average cost: $98,700
- 2003: 4 buildings, average cost: $124,300
- 2004: 4 buildings, average cost: $93,200
- 2005: 6 buildings, average cost: $55,500
- 2006: 1 building, cost: $249,000
- 2007: 4 buildings, average cost: $83,400
- 2008: 3 buildings, average cost: $106,700
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $40,000
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $109,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 30.65 N, Longitude: 97.01 W
Area code: 512
|Crime rates in Rockdale by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 294.7)||261.9||405.7||411.7||252.1||241.1||185.6||221.3||311.4||174.7||196.1||237.9||206.3||196.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Rockdale detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.04|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -183 (-3.3%).
- Construction (25%)
- Transportation and warehousing (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (10%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Health care and social assistance (7%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Retail trade (31%)
- Health care and social assistance (23%)
- Educational services (19%)
- Accommodation and food services (12%)
- Other services, except public administration (3%)
- Public administration (3%)
- Construction (2%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (27%)
- Management occupations (16%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (15%)
- Sales and related occupations (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (6%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (4%)
- Sales and related occupations (35%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (13%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (10%)
- Healthcare support occupations (10%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (6%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (4%)
- Community and social service occupations (4%)
Average climate in Rockdale, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Rockdale-area historical tornado activity is near Texas state average. It is 43% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/27/1997, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 38.2 miles away from the Rockdale city center killed 27 people and injured 12 people and caused $40 million in damages.
On 12/2/1953, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 8.6 miles away from the city center injured 4 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Rockdale-area historical earthquake activity is below Texas state average. It is 86% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 275.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 380.0 miles away from Rockdale center
On 4/9/1993 at 12:29:19, a magnitude 4.3 (4.1 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 144.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/7/2008 at 09:51:12, a magnitude 3.9 (3.9 MB, 3.9 MW, 3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 135.0 miles away from the city center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 279.0 miles away from Rockdale center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 377.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Milam County (11) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 4, Hurricanes: 4, Storms: 2, Flood: 1, Tornado: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Pee Wee Crayton - R&B and blues guitarist and singer, Stryker Sulak - Football player, Billy Ray Locklin - Player of and football, Forrest Crawford - Major League Baseball shortstop, Kris Kocurek - Football player, Lee Roy Caffey - Football player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Rockdale:
Airports located in Rockdale:
- H H Coffield Regional Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 800, Local Ops: 1,600)
- Apache Pass Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rockdale:
- Temple College (about 36 miles; Temple, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,796)
- University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (about 40 miles; Belton, TX; FT enrollment: 2,885)
- Texas A & M University-College Station (about 40 miles; College Station, TX; FT enrollment: 46,550)
- Austin Community College District (about 46 miles; Austin, TX; FT enrollment: 25,957)
- Blinn College (about 50 miles; Brenham, TX; FT enrollment: 8,959)
- The University of Texas at Austin (about 51 miles; Austin, TX; FT enrollment: 45,500)
- Concordia University-Texas (about 52 miles; Austin, TX; FT enrollment: 2,192)
Public high schools in Rockdale:
Public elementary/middle schools in Rockdale:
Notable locations in Rockdale: Fair Park Racetrack (A), Rockdale Volunteer Fire Department (B), American Medical Response Ambulance Service Station 2 (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Rockdale include: Saint Johns Church (A), Meadow Brook Church (B), Primera Iglesia Bautista Church (C), Meadowbrook Baptist Church (D), Spanish Assembly of God Church (E), First Presbyterian Church (F), First United Pentecostal Church (G), Saint Thomas Episcopal Church (H), Pecan Street Church of Christ (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: International Order of Odd Fellows Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Park in Rockdale: Fair Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Hotels: Best Western Rockdale Inn (381 North US Highway 77), Budget Inn (716 West Cameron Avenue).
Drinking water stations with addresses in Rockdale that have no violations reported:
- ALCOA RAW WATER SOURCE (Population served: 0, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
(17.0% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 61.1% for Black residents, 27.1% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 36.5% for American Indian residents, 24.6% for other race residents, 83.9% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
People in group quarters in Rockdale in 2000:
- 131 people in nursing homes
- 3 people in hospitals/wards and hospices for chronically ill
- 3 people in other hospitals or wards for chronically ill
Rockdale compared to Texas state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Rockdale (2011 data):
- Citizens National Bank: Rockdale Branch at 140 East Cameron, branch established on 1979/12/03; Rockdale Branch at 1401 West Cameron Street, branch established on 2002/08/02. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $322.3 mil, Deposits: $286.6 mil, headquarters in Cameron, TX, positive income, 8 total offices, Holding Company: Central Texas Financial Corp.
- Classic Bank, National Association: Cameron Branch at 1707 West Cameron, branch established on 2003/03/10. Info updated 2012/03/16: Bank assets: $236.0 mil, Deposits: $205.3 mil, headquarters in Cameron, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Cameron Financial Corporation
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Rockdale, Texas:
- Best Western Rockdale Inn, 377 N US Hwy 77, Rockdale, TX 76567 , Phone: (512) 446-6163
- Comfort Inn, 702 West Hwy 79, Rockdale, TX 76567 , Phone: (512) 446-3600, Fax: (512) 446-4674
- Rockdale Hospitality LLC - Days Inn, 221 N Us Hwy 77, Rockdale, TX 76567 , Phone: (512) 446-5800, Fax: (512) 446-5834
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (50%)
- Electricity (49%)
- Wood (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Rockdale city (based on Milam County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Milam County:||2.42 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Milam County:||1.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Milam County:||4.44 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.85 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$10,264||$61,584||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||1||$2,006||$24,072||1||$1,532|
|Police Protection - Officers||11||$38,322||$41,806||0||$0|
|Police - Other||6||$16,536||$33,072||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||2||$4,339||$26,034||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||5||$11,232||$26,957||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||3||$7,348||$29,392||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||42||$119,765||$34,219||1||$1,532|
Rockdale government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Water Utilities: $104,000 ($19.22)
Sewerage: $59,000 ($10.90)
- Current Operations - Police Protection: $670,000 ($123.82)
Water Utilities: $630,000 ($116.43)
Sewerage: $354,000 ($65.42)
Libraries: $351,000 ($64.87)
Regular Highways: $332,000 ($61.36)
Financial Administration: $209,000 ($38.63)
General - Other: $188,000 ($34.74)
Fire Protection: $134,000 ($24.76)
Parks & Recreation: $36,000 ($6.65)
Judicial and Legal Services: $12,000 ($2.22)
General Public Buildings: $6,000 ($1.11)
Central Staff Services: $2,000 ($0.37)
- General - Interest on Debt: $40,000 ($7.39)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $1,328,000 ($245.43)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $90,000 ($16.63)
Rockdale government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $598,000 ($110.52)
All Other: $20,000 ($3.70)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $328,000 ($60.62)
Interest Earnings: $73,000 ($13.49)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $1,066,000 ($197.01)
- State Intergovernmental - All Other: $90,000 ($16.63)
- Tax - Property: $647,000 ($119.57)
Total General Sales: $486,000 ($89.82)
Public Utilities: $254,000 ($46.94)
NEC: $61,000 ($11.27)
Rockdale government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $1,255,000 ($231.93)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $1,000,000 ($184.81)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $950,000 ($175.57)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $1,145,000 ($211.61)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $110,000 ($20.33)
Other, NEC: $50,000 ($9.24)
Rockdale government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Bond Fund - Cash & Deposits: $166,000 ($30.68)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $1,168,000 ($215.86)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $1,000 ($0.18)
6.09% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,547 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Bell County, TX||0.87% ($34,529 average AGI)|
|from Williamson County, TX||0.84% ($38,955)|
|from Travis County, TX||0.40% ($30,656)|
6.92% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,411 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Rockdale:
- KZNE (1150 AM; 10 kW; COLLEGE STATION, TX; Owner: BRYAN BROADCASTING LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, INC.)
- KTKR (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WOAI (1200 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KTRH (740 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, TX; Owner: AMFM TEXAS LICENSES LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMOP (900 AM; 5 kW; OCALA, FL; Owner: FLORIDA SPORTSTALK, INC.)
- KGOL (1180 AM; 50 kW; HUMBLE, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KLBJ (590 AM; 5 kW; AUSTIN, TX; Owner: EMMIS AUSTIN RADIO BROADCASTING COMPANY, L.P.)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- WTAW (1620 AM; 10 kW; COLLEGE STATION, TX; Owner: BRYAN BROADCASTING LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, INC.)
- KSEV (700 AM; 15 kW; TOMBALL, TX; Owner: LIBERMAN BROADCASTING OF HOUSTON LICENSE CORP.)
- KBBW (1010 AM; 10 kW; WACO-MARLIN, TX; Owner: AMERICAN BROADCASTING OF TEXAS)
- KQQA (1530 AM; 10 kW; CREEDMOOR, TX; Owner: YELLOW ROSE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Rockdale:
- KRXT (98.5 FM; ROCKDALE, TX; Owner: KRXT, INC.)
- KXCS (103.9 FM; CAMERON, TX; Owner: EQUICOM, INC)
- KHTZ (94.3 FM; CAMERON, TX; Owner: CAMERON BROADCASTING CO)
- WACO-FM (99.9 FM; WACO, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KDHT (93.3 FM; CEDAR PARK, TX; Owner: EMMIS AUSTIN RADIO BROADCASTING COMPANY, L.P.)
- KWTX-FM (97.5 FM; WACO, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KHHL (98.9 FM; LEANDER, TX; Owner: AMIGO RADIO, LTD.)
- KNCT-FM (91.3 FM; KILLEEN, TX; Owner: CENTRAL TEXAS COLLEGE)
- KQBT (104.3 FM; TAYLOR, TX; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- KFMK (105.9 FM; ROUND ROCK, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KLTR (107.3 FM; CALDWELL, TX; Owner: ROY E. HENDERSON)
TV broadcast stations around Rockdale:
- KYLE (Channel 28; BRYAN, TX; Owner: COMCORP OF BRYAN LICENSE CORP.)
- KCEN-TV (Channel 6; TEMPLE, TX; Owner: CHANNEL 6, INC.)
- KWKT (Channel 44; WACO, TX; Owner: COMCORP OF TEXAS LICENSE CORP.)
- KXXV (Channel 25; WACO, TX; Owner: CENTEX TELEVISION LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KWTX-TV (Channel 10; WACO, TX; Owner: KWTX-KBTX LICENSEE CORP.)
- KAKW (Channel 62; KILLEEN, TX; Owner: KAKW LICENSE PARTNERSHIP, L.P.)
- KNCT (Channel 46; BELTON, TX; Owner: CENTRAL TEXAS COLLEGE)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 104 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Rockdale, TX)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 14 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 28 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Rockdale)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 9 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Rockdale)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 44
- Hazardous Condition: 23
- Service Call: 7
- Good Intent Call: 5
Incident types - Rockdale
|Most common first names in Rockdale, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Rockdale, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Rockdale, TX|
|Days Inn||1||SONIC Drive-In||1|
Rockdale on our top lists:
- #21 on the list of "Top 100 cities with lowest ratio of median house value to median household income (pop. 5,000+)"
Total of 14 patent applications in 2008-2015.