|Median resident age:||42.7 years|
|Texas median age:||32.3 years|
Zip code: 76875
Rowena CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $95,558 (it was $62,600 in 2000)
- White alone - 640 (79.4%)
- Hispanic - 162 (20.1%)
- Two or more races - 4 (0.5%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 130.2 square miles.
Population density: 5.6 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Rowena:
- High school or higher: 76.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.7%
- Unemployed: 5.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rowena CCD:
- Never married: 15.5%
- Now married: 68.7%
- Separated: 0.3%
- Widowed: 9.4%
- Divorced: 6.4%
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Rowena, Texas as of April 02, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Rowena to the number of sex offenders is 362 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Rowena CCD:||0.5% ($289)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: San Angelo, TX (29.3 miles , pop. 88,439).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Austin, TX (162.0 miles , pop. 656,562).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: San Antonio, TX (174.5 miles , pop. 1,144,646).
Nearest cities: Ballinger, TX (2.9 miles ), Paint Rock, TX (3.1 miles ), Eola-Paint Rock, TX (3.2 miles ), Miles, TX (3.3 miles ), East Tom Green, TX (4.7 miles ), Winters, TX (4.8 miles ), Talpa, TX (4.9 miles ), Bronte, TX (5.0 miles ).
Latitude: 31.63 N, Longitude: 100.00 W
Area code: 325
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (32%)
- Metal and metal products (11%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (9%)
- Truck transportation (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Construction (4%)
- Finance and insurance (20%)
- Health care (15%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (4%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (23%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (10%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (12%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (10%)
- Farmers and farm managers (9%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (9%)
- Other healthcare support occupations (7%)
- Customer service representatives (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
Average climate in Rowena, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Rowena-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Texas state average. It is 4% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/11/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 25.7 miles away from the Rowena place center killed 13 people and injured 159 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/14/1995, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 14.0 miles away from the place center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Rowena-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Texas state average. It is 68% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 106.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 220.5 miles away from Rowena center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 188.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/9/1993 at 12:29:19, a magnitude 4.3 (4.1 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 224.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/28/1998 at 14:13:01, a magnitude 4.2 (3.9 MB, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 236.7 miles away from Rowena center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 294.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Runnels County (7) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 2
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 3, Hurricanes: 3, Flood: 1, Storm: 1, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Bonnie Parker.
Hospitals and medical centers near Rowena:
- BALLINGER HOME HEALTH INC (Home Health Center, about 9 miles away; BALLINGER, TX)
- HOSPICE OF BALLINGER (Hospital, about 9 miles away; BALLINGER, TX)
- CENTRAL TEXAS NURSING AND REHABILITATION (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; BALLINGER, TX)
- BALLINGER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 9 miles away; BALLINGER, TX)
- BALLINGER HEALTHCARE AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; BALLINGER, TX)
- HERITAGE OAKS ESTATE (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; BALLINGER, TX)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rowena:
- Angelo State University (about 31 miles; San Angelo, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,019)
- Abilene Christian University (about 61 miles; Abilene, TX; FT enrollment: 4,025)
- Cisco College (about 81 miles; Cisco, TX; FT enrollment: 2,687)
- Howard College (about 96 miles; Big Spring, TX; FT enrollment: 2,587)
- Tarleton State University (about 113 miles; Stephenville, TX; FT enrollment: 8,882)
- Midland College (about 127 miles; Midland, TX; FT enrollment: 3,650)
- Central Texas College (about 134 miles; Killeen, TX; FT enrollment: 15,911)
Public elementary/middle schools in Rowena:
- Olfen Elementary School (Students: 72; Location: 1122 PR 2562; Grades: PK-8; Our rating: 39)
- Veribest Special Programs School (Location: 1122 PRIVATE RD 2562; Grades: EE PK)
- Wall Special Programs School (Location: 1122 PRIVATE RD 2562; Grades: K-8)
- Fairview Special Programs School (Location: 1122 PR 2562; Grades: 7 8)
Notable location: Rowena Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Rowena: Saint Boniface Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Saint Boniface Cemetery (1), Protestant Cemetery (2), Hoffman Cemetery (3), Evergreen Cemetery (4), Saint Josephs Cemetery (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Kuhn Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Creeks: Valley Creek (A), Rocky Creek (B), Red Bank Creek (C), Indian Creek (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Rowena compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Rowena (2011 data):
- West Texas State Bank: Edwards Street Branch at Edwards Street, branch established on 1908/01/01. Info updated 2009/12/07: Bank assets: $144.7 mil, Deposits: $129.9 mil, headquarters in Snyder, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Wtsb Bancorp, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (53%)
- Utility gas (31%)
- Electricity (15%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Rowena CCD (based on Runnels County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 88.70%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Churches of Christ||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America|
|Name||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Assemblies of God||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Runnels County:||2.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Runnels County:||0.97 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Runnels County:||7.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
6.92% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,275 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
7.58% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($26,359 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Rowena:
- KRUN (1400 AM; 1 kW; BALLINGER, TX; Owner: GRAHAM BROTHERS COMM., L.L.C.)
- KGKL (960 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: KGKL, INC.)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KTKR (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KAHZ (1360 AM; 50 kW; HURST, TX)
- WOAI (1200 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KEAN (1470 AM; 5 kW; ABILENE, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KZMP (1540 AM; 50 kW; UNIVERSITY PARK, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KCRN (1340 AM; 1 kW; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: CRISWELL CENTER OF BIBLICAL STUDIES)
- KFXR (1190 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Rowena:
- KKCN (103.1 FM; BALLINGER, TX; Owner: GRAHAM BROTHERS COMM., L.L.C.)
- KELI (98.7 FM; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: KGKL, INC.)
- KCRN-FM (93.9 FM; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: CRISWELL CENTER FOR BIBLICAL STUDIES)
- KWFR (101.9 FM; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: FOSTER COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KUTX (90.1 FM; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN)
- KORQ (96.1 FM; WINTERS, TX; Owner: DOUD MEDIA GROUP)
- KGKL-FM (97.5 FM; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: KGKL, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Rowena:
- KLST (Channel 8; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: JEWELL TELEVISION CORPORATION)
- KIDY (Channel 6; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: SAGE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- K44FJ (Channel 44; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- KACB-TV (Channel 3; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: MISSION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KEUS-LP (Channel 31; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KANG-CA (Channel 41; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
Rowena fatal accident list:
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Rowena)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:2
- 1040031, .6 Km N Of Int Of Kristoff Rd & Rr 2872 (Lat: 31.662944 Lon: -100.091139), Type: Tower, Structure height: 151.5 m, Overall height: 152.4 m, Call Sign: WQKW390
Assigned Frequencies: 17800.0 MHz, 17920.0 MHz, 11245.0 MHz, 11405.0 MHz, 11365.0 MHz
Grant Date: 10/06/2009, Expiration Date: 10/06/2019, Certifier: Christopher M Brooks
Registrant: Conterra Ultra Broadband, LLC, 2101 Rexford Rd, Ste 200e, Charlotte, NC 28211, Phone: (704) 936-1801, Fax: (704) 936-1801, Email:
- Olfen ISD, 1122 Pr 2562 (Lat: 31.610028 Lon: -99.962028), Type: Pole, Structure height: 30.5 m, Call Sign: WQLG412
Assigned Frequencies: 17790.0 MHz
Grant Date: 01/12/2010, Expiration Date: 01/12/2020, Certifier: Christopher M Brooks
Registrant: Conterra Ultra Broadband, LLC, Charlotte, Charlotte, NC 28211, Phone: (704) 936-1777, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KC5ZTR
Grant Date: 04/02/1997, Expiration Date: 04/02/2007, Cancellation Date: 04/03/2009
Registrant: Felix Cortez Jr, Rowena, TX 76875