|Median resident age:||52.9 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04275.
Roxbury town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $144,822 (it was $83,700 in 2000)
- White alone - 365 (98.9%)
- American Indian alone - 2 (0.5%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 1 (0.3%)
- Two or more races - 1 (0.3%)
|Wintertime Commuting into Augusta (3 replies)|
|Bring Your Gun To Work (85 replies)|
|The MAINE town story game (132 replies)|
|Where did you come from? / how long have you been in Maine? / what do you think? (244 replies)|
|Maine's Own Off-Topic Thread! (2485 replies)|
|Photos of Maine (4083 replies)|
Latest news from Roxbury, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (49.7%), English (30.2%), Irish (16.4%), French Canadian (10.9%), German (7.6%), Scottish (5.7%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/17/1835
Elevation: 720 feet
Land area: 42.9 square miles.
Population density: 8.6 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Roxbury:
- High school or higher: 80.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.7%
- Unemployed: 1.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 30.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Roxbury town:
- Never married: 22.9%
- Now married: 65.4%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 4.4%
- Divorced: 7.4%
4 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Roxbury, Maine as of March 01, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Roxbury to the number of sex offenders is 367 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Roxbury town:||0.9% ($773)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (70.3 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (162.4 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (309.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Byron, ME (2.4 miles) , Andover, ME (2.4 miles ), Mexico, ME (2.8 miles ), Rumford, ME (2.9 miles ), Carthage, ME (3.2 miles ), Weld, ME (3.3 miles ), Hanover, ME (3.4 miles ), Dixfield, ME (3.5 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $40,000
- 1999: 3 buildings, average cost: $40,000
- 2001: 2 buildings, average cost: $30,000
- 2002: 2 buildings, average cost: $112,500
- 2003: 2 buildings, average cost: $132,800
- 2004: 4 buildings, average cost: $80,000
- 2005: 3 buildings, average cost: $80,000
- 2006: 3 buildings, average cost: $80,000
- 2007: 2 buildings, average cost: $80,000
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $80,000
- 2009: 8 buildings, average cost: $178,900
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 44.65 N, Longitude: 70.64 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Paper (30%)
- Construction (11%)
- Wood products (8%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Repair and maintenance (5%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (4%)
- Health care (22%)
- Paper (14%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Food and beverage stores (8%)
- Wood products (7%)
- Social assistance (7%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (13%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (10%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (9%)
- Health technologists and technicians (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Life, physical, and social science technicians (4%)
Average climate in Roxbury, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Roxbury-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 152.1 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 189.4 miles away from Roxbury center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 92.5 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 124.9 miles away from the city center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 47.5 miles away from Roxbury center
On 1/17/2000 at 08:16:20, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, 3.4 LG, Depth: 10.1 mi) earthquake occurred 11.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Oxford County (28) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 21
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 18, Storms: 15, Snows: 7, Hurricanes: 3, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Airports located in Roxbury:
- Thomas Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Roxbury:
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 25 miles; Farmington, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 47 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 58 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 71 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 73 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- Plymouth State University (about 81 miles; Plymouth, NH; FT enrollment: 4,838)
- University of New England (about 84 miles; Biddeford, ME; FT enrollment: 4,539)
Notable location: Roxbury Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Pineview Cemetery (1), Old Frye Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Birch Pond (A), Bunker Pond (B), Ellis Pond (C), Muskrat Pond (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Thomas Farm Brook (A), Walker Brook (B), Meadow Brook (C), Philbrick Brook (D), Birch Brook (E), Noisy Brook (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 30.4. This is significantly better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2004 was 3.52. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 7.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2004 was 11.5. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 8.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.15. This is about average. Closest monitor was 8.0 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.0 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Roxbury compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (72%)
- Wood (22%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (6%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Roxbury town (based on Oxford County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 20.59%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Church of Christ||American Baptist Churches in the USA||United Methodist Church||Seventh-Day Adventist Church|
|Name||National Association of Congregational Christian Churches||LDS (Mormon) Church||Assemblies of God||Episcopal Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Oxford County:||2.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Oxford County:||2.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Oxford County:||7.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.32% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,840 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Androscoggin County, ME||1.17% ($32,016 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.84% ($32,057)|
|from York County, ME||0.34% ($35,114)|
5.44% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,857 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Roxbury:
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGAN (560 AM; 5 kW; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WLAM (1470 AM; 5 kW; LEWISTON, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Roxbury:
- WLOB-FM (96.3 FM; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
- WTBM (100.7 FM; MEXICO, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMEA (90.1 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBLM (102.9 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WKTJ-FM (99.3 FM; FARMINGTON, ME; Owner: FRANKLIN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around Roxbury:
- WGME-TV (Channel 13; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: WGME LICENSEE, LLC)
- WMTW-TV (Channel 8; POLAND SPRING, ME; Owner: WMTW BROADCAST GROUP, LLC)
- W21BI (Channel 21; FARMINGTON, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- Fatal accident count: 10
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 15
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 7
- Fatalities: 13
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 23
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 0
- Fatal accident count: 55
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 79
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 21
- Fatalities: 61
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 132
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 3
Total length: 6 meters (20ft)
Total average daily traffic: 1,910
Total average daily truck traffic: 152
Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic: 2,865
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- BLACK MTN, Horseshoe Valley Road (Lat: 44.583667 Lon: -70.637556), Type: Tower, Structure height: 30.5 m, Call Sign: WPXC753
Assigned Frequencies: 959.150 MHz
Grant Date: 03/05/2013, Expiration Date: 03/06/2023, Certifier: Dan Schorr
Registrant: Shulman Rogers Gandal Pordy & Ecker, 12505 Park Potomac Ave., 6th Flr, Potomac, MD 20854, Phone: (301) 255-0553, Fax: (301) 230-2891
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: N1RLR
Grant Date: 02/22/1994, Expiration Date: 02/22/2004, Cancellation Date: 02/23/2006
Registrant: Steven F Bell, General Delivery, Roxbury, ME 04275
- Call Sign: W1FUZ
Grant Date: 03/22/1994, Expiration Date: 03/22/2004, Cancellation Date: 03/23/2006
Registrant: Henry H Bell Sr, General Delivery, Roxbury, ME 04275
- Call Sign: KB1OVY, Licensee ID: L01268021
Grant Date: 04/11/2007, Expiration Date: 04/11/2017, Certifier: Richard N Doughty
Registrant: Richard N Doughty, Roxbury, ME 04275
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: PIPER/AUBIN PA 11-90 (Category: Land, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: CONT MOTOR C90-8F (95 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 5082H , Serial Number: 11-981, Year manufactured: 1949, Airworthiness Date: 06/04/2011
Registrant (Co-Owned): Donna M Thomas, 1684 Roxbury Rd, Roxbury, ME 04275, Other Owners: Douten D Thomas