Roxbury, New York
Roxbury: John Burroughs Woodchuck Lodge
Roxbury: Hay field near Burroughs
Roxbury: 1919 Guest House of Helen Shephard - daughter of Jay Gould - now the clubhous for Shephard Hills Golf Club
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||49.3 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 12474.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $29,887 (it was $20,177 in 2000)
Roxbury town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $161,703 (it was $84,700 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $210,632; Detached houses: $204,992; Townhouses or other attached units: $176,826; In 2-unit structures: $219,630; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $527,816; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $181,152; Mobile homes: $70,980
Races in Roxbury, NY (2010)
- 2,39895.8%White alone
- 170.7%Black alone
- 180.7%Two or more races
- 60.2%Asian alone
- 30.1%American Indian alone
- 20.08%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
- 10.04%Other race alone
|How do young whites afford such high rents in Manhattan? (278 replies)|
|ARVERNE ROCKAWAY safety? (106 replies)|
|Moving to Far Rockaway, NYC. (101 replies)|
|Vacation home-Roxbury & Surrounding Towns? (1 reply)|
|What is the best part of Queens for a white middle class family? (88 replies)|
|New Ferry To Rockaway Beaches (79 replies)|
Latest news from Roxbury, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (21.2%), Irish (19.1%), Italian (12.5%), English (10.0%), Dutch (8.0%), Scottish (5.7%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 87.2 square miles.
Population density: 29 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Roxbury:
- High school or higher: 83.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 20.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.4%
- Unemployed: 6.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 28.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Roxbury town:
- Never married: 25.5%
- Now married: 57.7%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 6.1%
- Divorced: 9.1%
86 residents are foreign born (2.5% Europe, 0.8% Asia).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Roxbury town:||1.7% ($1,476)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Albany, NY (46.6 miles , pop. 95,658).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Bronx, NY (106.5 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Prattsville, NY (2.7 miles ), Hobart, NY (2.8 miles ), Halcott, NY (2.8 miles) , Stamford, NY (2.9 miles ), Gilboa, NY (3.1 miles ), Fleischmanns, NY (3.2 miles ), Lexington, NY (3.2 miles ), Harpersfield, NY (3.3 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 5 buildings, average cost: $61,600
- 1998: 8 buildings, average cost: $94,100
- 1999: 4 buildings, average cost: $327,500
- 2000: 8 buildings, average cost: $106,300
- 2001: 7 buildings, average cost: $169,300
- 2002: 5 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2003: 8 buildings, average cost: $138,100
- 2004: 16 buildings, average cost: $171,100
- 2005: 16 buildings, average cost: $127,700
- 2006: 12 buildings, average cost: $177,800
- 2007: 8 buildings, average cost: $153,100
- 2008: 4 buildings, average cost: $122,300
- 2009: 4 buildings, average cost: $139,300
- 2010: 3 buildings, average cost: $333,300
- 2011: 3 buildings, average cost: $146,000
- 2012: 2 buildings, average cost: $115,000
- 2013: 5 buildings, average cost: $296,000
- 2014: 6 buildings, average cost: $167,400
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.30 N, Longitude: 74.55 W
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (25%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Repair and maintenance (4%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (4%)
- Truck transportation (3%)
- Educational services (19%)
- Health care (15%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Chemicals (7%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (10%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (9%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (5%)
- Computer specialists (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (9%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (7%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (4%)
Average climate in Roxbury, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Roxbury-area historical tornado activity is slightly above New York state average. It is 55% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 27.3 miles away from the Roxbury town center injured 20 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 27.3 miles away from the town center injured 3 people and caused $800,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Roxbury-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 114.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 156.9 miles away from Roxbury center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 23.7 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 171.1 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 156.6 miles away from Roxbury center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 305.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Delaware County (33) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 23
Emergencies Declared: 10
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 16, Storms: 14, Hurricanes: 4, Blizzards: 2, Snowstorms: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Tropical Storms: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Power Outage: 1, Tropical Depression: 1, Water Shortage: 1, Wind: 1, Other: 2 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: John Burroughs - Essayist, Jay Gould - (1836-1892), entrepreneur, Frank E. Wilson - Politician.
airports located in Roxbury:
- Roxbury Runway Airport (1NK0) (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Roxbury:
- SUNY College of Technology at Delhi (about 20 miles; Delhi, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,911)
- SUNY College of Agriculture and Technology at Cobleskill (about 26 miles; Cobleskill, NY; FT enrollment: 2,455)
- SUNY Oneonta (about 29 miles; Oneonta, NY; FT enrollment: 6,081)
- Ulster County Community College (about 38 miles; Stone Ridge, NY; FT enrollment: 2,207)
- Bard College (about 39 miles; Annandale-On-Hudson, NY; FT enrollment: 3,137)
- Excelsior College (about 45 miles; Albany, NY; FT enrollment: 4,723)
- State University of New York at New Paltz (about 46 miles; New Paltz, NY; FT enrollment: 7,319)
Public high school in Roxbury:
- ROXBURY CENTRAL SCHOOL (Students: 349, Location: 53729 NYS RT 30, Grades: PK-12)
Notable locations in Roxbury: Shephard Hills Golf Course (A), Stone Tavern Farm (B), More Settlement (C), Stralton Falls Campground (D), Roxbury Volunteer Fire Company (E), Grand Gorge Hose Company 1 (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Roxbury include: Yellow Church (A), Grand Gorge United Methodist Church (B), Jay Gould Memorial Reformed Church (C), Roxbury United Methodist Church (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Schemehorn Cemetery (1), Tyler Cemetery (2), Yellow Church Cemetery (3), United Methodist Church Cemetery (4), Roxbury Village Cemetery (5), Grand Gorge Main Cemetery (6), Vega Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Fall Brook (A), Bear Kill (B), Pleasant Valley Brook (C), Jump Brook (D), Johnson Hollow Brook (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 60.6. This is better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 0.314. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 11.2 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 32.5. This is about average. Closest monitor was 11.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2004 was 11.1. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 11.2 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.2 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 1.2% of all households
Banks with branches in Roxbury (2011 data):
- The National Bank of Delaware County: Roxbury Branch at 53898 State Highway 30, branch established on 1905/03/25. Info updated 2007/11/19: Bank assets: $258.2 mil, Deposits: $218.0 mil, headquarters in Walton, NY, positive income, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Delaware Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New York average:||14.2|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Roxbury town (based on Delaware County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Delaware County:||3.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Delaware County:||0.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Delaware County:||7.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||12.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
4.84% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,910 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Otsego County, NY||0.88% ($31,302 average AGI)|
|from Chenango County, NY||0.42% ($22,930)|
|from Broome County, NY||0.29% ($32,040)|
5.40% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,734 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Roxbury:
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WDLA (1270 AM; 5 kW; WALTON, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
- WINS (1010 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WEPN (1050 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK AM RADIO, LLC)
- WROW (590 AM; 5 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Roxbury:
- WGKR (105.3 FM; GRAND GORGE, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WRIP (97.9 FM; WINDHAM, NY; Owner: RIP RADIO, LLC)
- WAMK (90.9 FM; KINGSTON, NY; Owner: W A M C)
- WFGB (89.7 FM; KINGSTON, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WDHI (100.3 FM; DELHI, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
- WMYY (97.3 FM; SCHOHARIE, NY; Owner: CAPITAL MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WFKP (99.3 FM; ELLENVILLE, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WAJZ (96.3 FM; VOORHEESVILLE, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZMR (104.9 FM; ALTAMONT, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WJIV (101.9 FM; CHERRY VALLEY, NY; Owner: CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING SYSTEM, LTD.)
- WPDH (101.5 FM; POUGHKEEPSIE, NY; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WYJB (95.5 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WGNA-FM (107.7 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF MANSFIELD, INC.)
- WMHT-FM (89.1 FM; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: WMHT EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS)
- WRVE (99.5 FM; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPYX (106.5 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WDLA-FM (92.1 FM; WALTON, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
- WFNP (88.7 FM; ROSENDALE, NY; Owner: STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK)
- WRHV (88.7 FM; POUGHKEEPSIE, NY; Owner: WMHT EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS)
- WVCR-FM (88.3 FM; LOUDONVILLE, NY; Owner: SIENA COLLEGE)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 18Number of bridges
- 21m69ftTotal length
- $3,608,000Total costs
- 11,723Total average daily traffic
- 1,239Total average daily truck traffic
- 14,615Total future (year 2027) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- Roxbury Fire Rf Station Rt 30 (Lat: 42.275083 Lon: -74.566806), Call Sign: KNGW928
Assigned Frequencies: 46.0600 MHzGrant Date: 04/19/2013, Expiration Date: 06/15/2023Registrant: Delaware County, 280 Phoebe Lane Suite 3, Delhi, NY 13753, Phone: (607) 746-9600, Fax: (607) 746-8988, Email:
- Lat: 42.285417 Lon: -74.663056, Call Sign: KB41285
Assigned Frequencies: 151.685 MHzGrant Date: 09/20/2013, Expiration Date: 10/14/2023Registrant: Goosetown Communications, 34 Garden St, New Rochelle, NY 10801, Phone: (914) 576-3604, Fax: (914) 576-3642, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:6
- Call Sign: K2AGF, Licensee ID: L00905537, Grant Date: 08/13/2004, Expiration Date: 11/10/2014, Certifier: Eugene F Beirne, Registrant: Eugene F Beirne, Box 156 Locust St, Roxbury, NY 12474
- Call Sign: KA2HBR, Grant Date: 07/26/1988, Expiration Date: 07/26/1998, Cancellation Date: 07/27/2000, Registrant: Sterling G Sears Sr, 100 Burroughs Mem Rd, Roxbury, NY 12474
- Call Sign: KB4FWJ, Grant Date: 10/21/1997, Expiration Date: 10/21/2007, Cancellation Date: 10/22/2009, Registrant: Millard F Van Aken, Mac More Rd Rr 1 Box 92a, Roxbury, NY 12474-9719
- Call Sign: KC2AAR, Licensee ID: L00512199, Grant Date: 11/04/1996, Expiration Date: 11/04/2006, Cancellation Date: 11/05/2008, Certifier: Emil P Grocholl, Registrant: Emil P Grocholl, 53752 St Hwy 30, Roxbury, NY 12474-1528
- Call Sign: KC2KBK, Licensee ID: L00553669, Grant Date: 08/02/2002, Expiration Date: 08/02/2012, Cancellation Date: 08/05/2014, Certifier: Alisa Fersch, Registrant: Alisa Fersch, 3625 New Kingston Mt Rd, Roxbury, NY 12474
- Call Sign: KD2HYN, Licensee ID: L01920708, Grant Date: 02/06/2015, Expiration Date: 02/06/2025, Certifier: Jerome Jakubiec, Registrant: Jerome Jakubiec, 52 Ploutz Rd, Roxbury, NY 12474
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
- Hazardous Condition: 1
|Most common first names in Roxbury, NY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Roxbury, NY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (74%)
- Electricity (11%)
- Wood (10%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Roxbury compared to New York state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2018.