Roxbury: Don Jerry's Sugarhouse
Roxbury: village school
Roxbury: looking down oxbow road/december 2009
Roxbury: Looking west from Raynor Road
Roxbury: Lawn on Raynor Road
Roxbury: Beauty from lawn on Raynor Road
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||44.9 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05669.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $26,118 (it was $16,880 in 2000)
Roxbury town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $181,217 (it was $87,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $268,611; Detached houses: $285,507; Townhouses or other attached units: $200,511; In 2-unit structures: $271,369; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $204,719; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $155,970; Mobile homes: $85,164
Races in Roxbury, VT (2010)
- 66996.8%White alone
- 121.7%Two or more races
- 20.3%Black alone
- 10.1%American Indian alone
- 10.1%Asian alone
Latest news from Roxbury, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (31.9%), English (25.3%), Irish (17.2%), German (10.4%), United States (10.1%), Italian (5.7%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1010 feet
Land area: 41.8 square miles.
Population density: 17 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Roxbury:
- High school or higher: 83.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 27.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 12.3%
- Unemployed: 7.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 28.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Roxbury town:
- Never married: 20.9%
- Now married: 64.1%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 3.6%
- Divorced: 10.7%
12 residents are foreign born (1.4% Asia, 0.7% North America).
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Roxbury, Vermont as of December 12, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Roxbury to the number of sex offenders is 346 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Roxbury town:||1.7% ($1,448)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (98.7 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (146.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (230.6 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Northfield, VT (2.5 miles ), Warren, VT (2.6 miles ), Granville, VT (2.7 miles ), Brookfield, VT (2.7 miles ), Braintree, VT (2.8 miles ), Waitsfield, VT (3.0 miles ), Williamstown, VT (3.1 miles ), Randolph, VT (3.3 miles ).
Latitude: 44.07 N, Longitude: 72.73 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Construction (9%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Health care (5%)
- Nonmetallic mineral products (5%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Educational services (25%)
- Health care (21%)
- Apparel (10%)
- Finance and insurance (8%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Wood products (4%)
- Printing and related support activities (4%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (7%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7%)
- Other protective service workers including supervisors (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Construction laborers (5%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (13%)
- Registered nurses (9%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (9%)
- Customer service representatives (8%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (5%)
- Special education teachers (5%)
Average climate in Roxbury, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Roxbury-area historical earthquake activity is near Vermont state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 56.8 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 80.7 miles away from Roxbury center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 68.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 55.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 76.5 miles away from Roxbury center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 43.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Washington County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 20
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 17, Storms: 14, Heavy Rains: 2, Tropical Storms: 2, Winds: 2, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Roxbury:
- MAYO HEALTHCARE INC. (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; NORTHFIELD, VT)
- GIFFORD ELDERLY CARE INC (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; RANDOLPH, VT)
- GIFFORD MEDICAL CENTER Critical Access Hospitals (about 12 miles away; RANDOLPH, VT)
- MENIG EXTENDED CARE (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; RANDOLPH, VT)
- CENTRAL VERMONT HOME HEALTH AND HOSPICE (Home Health Center, about 13 miles away; BARRE, VT)
- BERLIN HEALTH AND REHAB CTR (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; BARRE, VT)
- ROWAN COURT HEALTH AND REHAB (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; BARRE, VT)
Amtrak stations near Roxbury:
- 11 miles: RANDOLPH (DEPOT SQ.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, public transit connection.
- 15 miles: MONTPELIER-BARRE (MONTPELIER, MONTPELIER JCT. RD.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
- 19 miles: WATERBURY-STOWE (WATERBURY, PARK ROW) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, intercity bus service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Roxbury:
- Norwich University (about 6 miles; Northfield, VT; Full-time enrollment: 4,221)
- Middlebury College (about 23 miles; Middlebury, VT; FT enrollment: 3,077)
- Dartmouth College (about 34 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- Saint Michael's College (about 37 miles; Colchester, VT; FT enrollment: 2,336)
- Champlain College (about 37 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 2,623)
- University of Vermont (about 37 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 11,566)
- Community College of Vermont (about 37 miles; Winooski, VT; FT enrollment: 3,394)
Public elementary/middle school in Roxbury:
- ROXBURY VILLAGE SCHOOL (Students: 67, Location: 1559 ROXBURY ROAD, Grades: PK-6)
Notable locations in Roxbury: Teela Wooket Camp (A), Roxbury Flat (B), Roxbury Volunteer Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Roxbury Cemetery (1), Orcutt Cemetery (2), First Settler Cemetery (3), East Roxbury Cemetery (4), Batchellor-Spaulding Cemetery (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lake: Beaver Pond (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Woodard Brook (A), Flint Brook (B), Ellis Brook (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2002 was 61.7. This is better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 17.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 14.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 11.2. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 14.1 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.7% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Roxbury town (based on Washington County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Washington County:||4.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||3.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||5.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
5.69% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($37,759 average adjusted gross income)
0.06% of residents moved from foreign countries ($440 average AGI)
Washington County: 0.06% Vermont average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Chittenden County, VT||0.91% ($42,382 average AGI)|
|from Orange County, VT||0.63% ($28,267)|
|from Lamoille County, VT||0.36% ($41,957)|
5.88% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($38,137 average adjusted gross income)
0.10% of residents moved to foreign countries ($508 average AGI)
Washington County: 0.10% Vermont average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Roxbury:
- WDEV (550 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WWWT (1320 AM; 1 kW; RANDOLPH, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WVMT (620 AM; 5 kW; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: SISON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTWN (1100 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELLS RIVER, VT; Owner: PUFFER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WSNO (1450 AM; 1 kW; BARRE, VT; Owner: VOX VERMONT, L.L.C)
- WSKI (1240 AM; 1 kW; MONTPELIER, VT; Owner: GALLOWAY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Roxbury:
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WNCS (104.7 FM; MONTPELIER, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WVPS (107.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WEZF (92.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLKC (103.3 FM; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WCVR-FM (102.1 FM; RANDOLPH, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WJEN (94.5 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WCMD (89.9 FM; BARRE, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC)
- WEXP (101.5 FM; BRANDON, VT; Owner: VOX VERMONT, L.L.C.)
- WGLY-FM (91.5 FM; BOLTON, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WORK (107.1 FM; BARRE, VT; Owner: VOX VERMONT, L.L.C)
TV broadcast stations around Roxbury:
- WBVT-LP (Channel 39; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: NYN, LLC)
Roxbury fatal accident list:
Dec 27, 2009 07:50 PM, Sr-12a, Lat: 44.04083, Lon: -72.74809, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
Jul 22, 2006 02:05 AM, Sr-12a, Lat: 44.04053, Lon: -72.74722, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 3
Apr 16, 2005 05:34 PM, Th-27, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Sep 3, 1993 07:30 PM, Vt12, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Nov 7, 1993 12:54 AM, Vt12a, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
Aug 3, 1991 09:37 PM, Vt12a, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 12Number of bridges
- 17m56ftTotal length
- $1,007,000Total costs
- 4,900Total average daily traffic
- 287Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:6
- Call Sign: AA1TJ, Previous Call Sign: KB1YY, Licensee ID: L01284156, Grant Date: 05/17/2007, Expiration Date: 08/08/2017, Registrant: Michael J Rainey, 1528 West Hill Rd, Roxbury, VT 05669
- Call Sign: KA1LHZ, Licensee ID: L00475987, Grant Date: 02/29/2012, Expiration Date: 02/28/2022, Certifier: Steven E Board, Registrant: Steven E Board, Roxbury, VT 05669
- Call Sign: N1LPF, Licensee ID: L00469807, Grant Date: 04/03/2012, Expiration Date: 06/28/2022, Registrant: Carl H Thresher, 273 Woodchuck Hollow, Roxbury, VT 05669
- Call Sign: WA1CVE, Licensee ID: L01192026, Grant Date: 09/13/2006, Expiration Date: 12/09/2016, Certifier: Jeffrey N Gelfon, Registrant: Jeffrey N Gelfon, West Hill, Roxbury, VT 05669
- Call Sign: KB1RGY, Licensee ID: L01438645, Grant Date: 10/17/2008, Expiration Date: 10/17/2018, Certifier: Victoria T Rainey, Registrant: Victoria T Rainey, 1528 West Hill Rd, Roxbury, VT 05669
- Call Sign: KB1YKT, Licensee ID: L01719972, Grant Date: 06/29/2012, Expiration Date: 06/29/2022, Certifier: Sharon L Frierson, Registrant: Sharon L Frierson, Roxbury, VT 05669
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (62%)
- Wood (24%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (13%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Roxbury compared to Vermont state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2018.