Rusk: Church at Rush State Park
Rusk: View to the South West from KOA Kampground
Rusk: View to the South West from KOA Kampground
Rusk: Texas State Railroad Memorial Day Event
Rusk: Texas State Railroad, Rusk to Palestine Texas - The Brakeman
Rusk: Rusk State Railroad
Rusk: Rusk State Railroad
Rusk: Rusk Footbridge restored in 1969. Marker claims it is the longest footbridge in the nation.
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||34.1 years|
|Texas median age:||34.0 years|
Zip codes: 75785.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $9,697 (it was $11,688 in 2000)
Rusk city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $71,274 (it was $54,800 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $616.
Races in Rusk, TX (2010)
- 3,30259.5%White alone
- 1,46926.5%Black alone
- 791.4%Two or more races
- 220.4%Asian alone
- 60.1%American Indian alone
- 40.07%Other race alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- How Does the Presence of a Major Employer Affect Crime Rates? Feb 10
- Prosper default rate decreased in 2014 Feb 8
- How important is peer-to-peer loan diversification? Feb 6
- Where Do the Young and Old People Live, and How Has That Changed Over the Years? Feb 4
- Reasons for getting a Lending Club loan Feb 2
|Thinking of moving to Texas and need to decide: Rusk, No. Houston, Pearland (2 replies)|
|Houston vs. Dallas (12939 replies)|
|The new towers of Texas (502 replies)|
|City with the best hills and Scenery at night Nacogdoches,Jacksonville or Tyler (158 replies)|
|Sprawl or grow tall? (50 replies)|
|great places to live in Texas- conservative (77 replies)|
Latest news from Rusk, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (15.7%), Irish (14.9%), German (8.2%), United States (4.2%), French (2.8%), Dutch (1.9%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 516 feet
Land area: 6.82 square miles.
Population density: 816 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Rusk:
- High school or higher: 70.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.7%
- Unemployed: 5.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rusk city:
- Never married: 37.5%
- Now married: 37.0%
- Separated: 3.7%
- Widowed: 4.5%
- Divorced: 17.3%
322 residents are foreign born (4.3% Latin America).
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 20 registered sex offenders living in Rusk, Texas as of February 11, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Rusk to the number of sex offenders is 280 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $1,308 (1.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $893 (1.5%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Tyler, TX (38.1 miles , pop. 83,650).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Shreveport, LA (93.1 miles , pop. 200,145).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (118.1 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Gallatin, TX (2.7 miles ), Reklaw, TX (3.3 miles ), Alto, TX (3.3 miles ), New Summerfield, TX (3.6 miles ), Jacksonville, TX (3.7 miles ), Cushing, TX (4.3 miles ), Cushing-Douglass, TX (4.3 miles ), Laneville, TX (4.3 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 4 buildings, average cost: $56,200
- 1998: 9 buildings, average cost: $44,700
- 1999: 4 buildings, average cost: $140,900
- 2000: 8 buildings, average cost: $91,200
- 2001: 9 buildings, average cost: $59,900
- 2002: 8 buildings, average cost: $75,200
- 2003: 5 buildings, average cost: $53,500
- 2004: 13 buildings, average cost: $51,300
- 2005: 9 buildings, average cost: $106,400
- 2006: 6 buildings, average cost: $72,700
- 2007: 5 buildings, average cost: $84,300
- 2008: 15 buildings, average cost: $93,300
- 2009: 3 buildings, average cost: $166,100
- 2010: 7 buildings, average cost: $53,500
- 2011: 4 buildings, average cost: $83,300
- 2012: 3 buildings, average cost: $127,700
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 31.80 N, Longitude: 95.15 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +2,029 (+35.8%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 732 (50.4%)
Area code: 903
|Crime rates in Rusk by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 299.0)||157.9||355.9||366.9||199.9||163.5||114.7||223.4||189.5||173.0||196.8||122.0||191.2|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Rusk detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.96|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +569 (+12.6%).
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (16%)
- Other services, except public administration (13%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Health care and social assistance (10%)
- Transportation and warehousing (8%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (7%)
- Manufacturing (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (32%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Manufacturing (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Other services, except public administration (4%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (12%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (9%)
- Transportation occupations (9%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (8%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (7%)
- Management occupations (6%)
- Personal care and service occupations (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (19%)
- Healthcare support occupations (14%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (14%)
- Production occupations (8%)
- Personal care and service occupations (7%)
- Sales and related occupations (6%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (5%)
Average climate in Rusk, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Rusk-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Texas state average. It is 77% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/3/1973, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 2.3 miles away from the Rusk city center injured 3 people.
On 4/6/2003, a category F3 tornado 9.2 miles away from the city center caused $9 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Rusk-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Texas state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 338.8 miles away from the city center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 211.4 miles away from Rusk center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 288.4 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 290.8 miles away from the city center
On 2/10/2006 at 04:14:22, a magnitude 5.3 (4.2 MB, 5.3 MS, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 404.0 miles away from Rusk center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 383.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Cherokee County (16) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 6, Floods: 5, Hurricanes: 5, Tornadoes: 4, Fires: 3, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: John B. Kendrick - Politician, Chris James (baseball) - Baseball player, George Cochran (baseball) - Baseball player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Rusk:
- EAST TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER RUSK (provides emergency services, 500 NORTH BONNER)
- FOREST HILLS GROUP HOME (803 SHARON ST)
- PECAN GROVE HOME (619 E FOURTH ST)
- RUSK STATE HOSP (1601 NORTH DICKINSON DR)
- BIRMINGHAM HEALTH CARE (2205 E JOHNSON)
- BIRMINGHAM HEALTH CARE CENTER (1383 JOHNSON DR)
- RUSK NURSING AND REHABILITA (1216 WEST 6TH STREET)
- RUSK REHABILITATION AND HEALTH CENTER (330 E BAGLEY RD)
- THE ARBORS HEALTHCARE AND REHABILITATION INC (1884 LOOP 343 WEST)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rusk:
- The University of Texas at Tyler (about 37 miles; Tyler, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,774)
- Stephen F Austin State University (about 37 miles; Nacogdoches, TX; FT enrollment: 11,542)
- Tyler Junior College (about 39 miles; Tyler, TX; FT enrollment: 8,104)
- Angelina College (about 44 miles; Lufkin, TX; FT enrollment: 3,478)
- Kilgore College (about 44 miles; Kilgore, TX; FT enrollment: 3,127)
- Trinity Valley Community College (about 50 miles; Athens, TX; FT enrollment: 5,333)
- LeTourneau University (about 53 miles; Longview, TX; FT enrollment: 2,357)
Public high school in Rusk:
- Rusk High School (Students: 557; Location: 203 E 7TH ST; Grades: 9-12; Our rating: 54)
Public elementary/middle schools in Rusk:
- Rusk Primary School (Students: 478; Location: 203 E 7TH ST; Grades: EE-1)
- Rusk J H School (Students: 474; Location: 203 E 7TH ST; Grades: 6-8; Our rating: 76)
- Rusk Elementary School (Students: 338; Location: 203 E 7TH ST; Grades: 2 3; Our rating: 81)
- Rusk Intermediate School (Students: 294; Location: 203 E 7TH ST; Grades: 4 5; Our rating: 85)
User submitted facts and corrections:
- home of the great Cody Glenn added by d-love
Notable locations in Rusk: Norman Memorial Museum (A), Rusk Volunteer Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Rusk include: First Presbyterian Church of Rusk (A), First Congreational Methodist Church (B), First Baptist Church (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Cedar Hill Cemetery (1), Old Prison Cemetery (2), Kilgore Cemetery (3), Hogg Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: City Lake (A), Cherokee Lake (B), Rusk Ore Mine Reservoir (C), Rusk City Lake (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creek: College Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in Rusk include: Rusk City Park (1), Jim Hogg State Park (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotel: Cherokee Rose (Highway 84 West).
(25.0% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 62.3% for Black residents, 44.3% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 28.6% for other race residents, 16.8% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
People in group quarters in Rusk in 2010:
- 1,433 people in state prisons
- 268 people in mental (psychiatric) hospitals and psychiatric units in other hospitals
- 138 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 112 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 6 people in group homes intended for adults
People in group quarters in Rusk in 2000:
- 1,354 people in state prisons
- 357 people in mental (psychiatric) hospitals or wards
- 148 people in nursing homes
- 27 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 13 people in homes for the mentally retarded
- 4 people in other group homes
Rusk compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Rusk (2011 data):
- Texas National Bank of Jacksonville: Rusk Branch at 484 North Main Street, branch established on 2002/03/11. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $308.5 mil, Deposits: $263.1 mil, headquarters in Jacksonville, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Texas National Bancorporation
- Citizens 1st Bank: Rusk Branch at 125 N. Main Street, branch established on 1990/11/30. Info updated 2010/05/27: Bank assets: $798.7 mil, Deposits: $478.7 mil, headquarters in Tyler, TX, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 4 total offices
- Austin Bank, Texas National Association: Rusk Branch at 401 North Main Street, branch established on 1907/01/01. Info updated 2010/10/14: Bank assets: $1,328.1 mil, Deposits: $1,154.0 mil, headquarters in Jacksonville, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 31 total offices, Holding Company: Jane Austin Chapman Limited Partnership, L.P.
- Prosperity Bank: Rusk Branch at 147 E. Fourth St., branch established on 1992/07/01. Info updated 2012/01/05: Bank assets: $9,816.2 mil, Deposits: $8,064.8 mil, headquarters in El Campo, TX, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 187 total offices, Holding Company: Prosperity Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (58%)
- Electricity (39%)
- Wood (2%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Rusk city (based on Cherokee County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Cherokee County:||1.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Cherokee County:||1.46 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Cherokee County:||3.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||9||$25,676||$34,235||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||2||$3,804||$22,824||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||11||$36,920||$40,276||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||4||$10,370||$31,110||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||36||$105,642||$35,214||2||$2,104|
Rusk government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $263,000 ($47.27)
Police Protection: $253,000 ($45.47)
Water Utilities: $220,000 ($39.54)
Sewerage: $212,000 ($38.10)
Fire Protection: $184,000 ($33.07)
Parks & Recreation: $176,000 ($31.63)
Financial Administration: $105,000 ($18.87)
Libraries: $39,000 ($7.01)
Judicial and Legal Services: $30,000 ($5.39)
General - Other: $21,000 ($3.77)
General Public Buildings: $10,000 ($1.80)
Central Staff Services: $3,000 ($0.54)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $614,000 ($110.35)
Rusk government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $475,000 ($85.37)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $25,000 ($4.49)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $633,000 ($113.77)
- Tax - Property: $322,000 ($57.87)
Total General Sales: $199,000 ($35.77)
Rusk government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $860,000 ($154.57)
6.17% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,444 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Smith County, TX||1.40% ($33,361 average AGI)|
|from Anderson County, TX||0.43% ($36,149)|
|from Dallas County, TX||0.27% ($32,512)|
6.62% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,274 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Rusk:
- KTLU (1580 AM; 1 kW; RUSK, TX; Owner: EMMETT H. WHITEHEAD)
- KTBB (600 AM; 5 kW; TYLER, TX; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KEEL (710 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KOFY (1060 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GILMER, TX; Owner: JERRY RUSSELL D/B/A THE RUSSELL COMPANY)
- KWKH (1130 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KTRH (740 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, TX; Owner: AMFM TEXAS LICENSES LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KEBE (1400 AM; 1 kW; JACKSONVILLE, TX; Owner: WALLER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KFXR (1190 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KGOL (1180 AM; 50 kW; HUMBLE, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KWRD (1470 AM; 5 kW; HENDERSON, TX; Owner: JERRY RUSSELL D/B/A THE RUSSELL COMPANY)
- KSML (1260 AM; 5 kW; DIBOLL, TX; Owner: KASA FAMILY LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Rusk:
- KWRW (97.7 FM; RUSK, TX; Owner: E. H. WHITEHEAD)
- KLJT (102.3 FM; JACKSONVILLE, TX; Owner: WALLER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KOOI (106.5 FM; JACKSONVILLE, TX; Owner: WALLER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KBJS (90.3 FM; JACKSONVILLE, TX; Owner: EAST TEXAS MEDIA ASSOCIATION, INC.)
- KTYL-FM (93.1 FM; TYLER, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KPXI (100.7 FM; OVERTON, TX; Owner: INSPIRATION MEDIA OF TEXAS, LLC)
- KNUE (101.5 FM; TYLER, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KAFX-FM (95.5 FM; DIBOLL, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KJCS (103.3 FM; NACOGDOCHES, TX; Owner: RADIO LICENSING, INC.)
- KOYE (96.7 FM; FRANKSTON, TX; Owner: WALLER MEDIA, LLC)
- KYKS (105.1 FM; LUFKIN, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KUEZ (100.1 FM; LUFKIN, TX; Owner: KASA FAMILY LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KLSN (96.3 FM; HUDSON, TX; Owner: LONE STAR NETWOK)
- KTBQ (107.7 FM; NACOGDOCHES, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KLDN (88.9 FM; LUFKIN, TX; Owner: BOARD OF SUPERVISORS LA. STATE UNIV.)
- KXAL-FM (100.3 FM; TATUM, TX; Owner: HUNT BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Rusk:
- KLSB-TV (Channel 19; NACOGDOCHES, TX; Owner: KLSB ACQUISITION CORP.)
- KETK-TV (Channel 56; JACKSONVILLE, TX; Owner: KETK LICENSEE L.P.)
- KFXK (Channel 51; LONGVIEW, TX; Owner: WARWICK COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- K26GA (Channel 26; TYLER/JACKSONVILLE, TX; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 83 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Rusk, TX)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 11 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 13 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 47 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Rusk)
FAA Registered Aircraft Manufacturers and Dealers: 1 (See the full list of FAA Registered Manufacturers and Dealers in Rusk)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 8 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft)
|Most common first names in Rusk, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Rusk, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Rusk, TX|
|Church's Chicken||1||Pizza Hut||1|
|Dairy Queen||1||SONIC Drive-In||1|
|H&R Block||1||True Value||1|
Rusk on our top lists:
- #59 on the list of "Top 100 cities with the largest percentage of males (pop. 5,000+)"
- #92 (75785) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Unclassified or not reported first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2016.