We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||44.3 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05042.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $26,307 (it was $17,880 in 2000)
Ryegate town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $162,752 (it was $83,700 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $192,617; Detached houses: $205,835; Townhouses or other attached units: $229,677; In 2-unit structures: $302,278; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $304,377; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $173,657; Mobile homes: $76,417
Races in Ryegate, VT (2010)
- 1,14097.1%White alone
- 161.4%Two or more races
- 40.3%Black alone
- 20.2%American Indian alone
- 20.2%Asian alone
- 10.09%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
- 10.09%Other race alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing industry sectors in the Northeast are Construction-related Apr 25
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
Ancestries: English (28.0%), French (17.8%), Irish (17.7%), Scottish (12.1%), French Canadian (6.1%), German (5.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 36.6 square miles.
Population density: 32 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Ryegate:
- High school or higher: 86.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 18.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.8%
- Unemployed: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ryegate town:
- Never married: 19.4%
- Now married: 59.9%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 7.0%
- Divorced: 11.4%
16 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Ryegate, Vermont as of April 26, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Ryegate to the number of sex offenders is 588 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Ryegate town:||1.8% ($1,475)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (90.7 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (140.2 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (249.5 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Wells River, VT (2.1 miles ), Woodsville, NH (2.4 miles ), Monroe, NH (2.5 miles ), Barnet, VT (2.6 miles ), Bath, NH (2.7 miles ), Groton, VT (2.7 miles ), Newbury, VT (3.0 miles ), Peacham, VT (3.1 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $91,700
- 1998: 3 buildings, average cost: $91,700
- 1999: 3 buildings, average cost: $91,700
- 2000: 3 buildings, average cost: $91,700
- 2001: 3 buildings, average cost: $91,700
- 2002: 9 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2003: 10 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2004: 11 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2005: 10 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2006: 9 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2007: 7 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2008: 5 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2009: 4 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2010: 4 buildings, average cost: $130,700
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 44.21 N, Longitude: 72.10 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (12%)
- Construction (11%)
- Health care (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Truck transportation (4%)
- Wood products (4%)
- Health care (23%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- U. S. Postal service (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Carpenters (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (8%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (6%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (5%)
Average climate in Ryegate, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Ryegate-area historical earthquake activity is near Vermont state average. It is 90% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 82.3 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 112.8 miles away from Ryegate center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 55.1 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 10.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 81.0 miles away from Ryegate center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 37.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Caledonia County (22) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 21
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 18, Storms: 15, Heavy Rains: 2, Tropical Storms: 2, Winds: 2, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Tornado: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Alexander M. Beatty - Medal of Honor recipient.
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Ryegate: Alexander M. Beatty.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ryegate:
- Norwich University (about 29 miles; Northfield, VT; Full-time enrollment: 4,221)
- Dartmouth College (about 37 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- Plymouth State University (about 38 miles; Plymouth, NH; FT enrollment: 4,838)
- Middlebury College (about 56 miles; Middlebury, VT; FT enrollment: 3,077)
- Saint Michael's College (about 57 miles; Colchester, VT; FT enrollment: 2,336)
- Community College of Vermont (about 57 miles; Winooski, VT; FT enrollment: 3,394)
- University of Vermont (about 58 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 11,566)
Notable locations in Ryegate: Warners Campground (A), Pleasant Valley Campground (B), South Ryegate Public Library (C), Ryegate Volunteer Fire Department (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Ryegate: South Ryegate Presbyterian Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Hillside Cemetery (1), North Ryegate Cemetery (2), Blue Mountain Cemetery (3), Pinehurst Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Coburn Pond (A), Ticklenaked Pond (B), McLam Pond (C), Symes Pond (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Scott Brook (A), McLam Brook (B), Manchester Brook (C), Scotch Burn (D), Wormwood Brook (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2002 was 81.0. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2000 was 26.1. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 9.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 17.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 11.2. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 20.0 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.8% of all households
- Gay men: 0.6% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Ryegate town (based on Caledonia County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Caledonia County:||4.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Caledonia County:||2.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Caledonia County:||7.53 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
4.82% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,711 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Orleans County, VT||0.56% ($30,029 average AGI)|
|from Washington County, VT||0.44% ($37,611)|
|from Grafton County, NH||0.31% ($41,868)|
5.63% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,803 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Ryegate:
- WTWN (1100 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELLS RIVER, VT; Owner: PUFFER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDEV (550 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSTJ (1340 AM; 1 kW; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WPNH (1300 AM; 5 kW; PLYMOUTH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WLTN (1400 AM; 1 kW; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: PROFILE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Ryegate:
- WDOT (95.7 FM; DANVILLE, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING INC)
- WGMT (97.7 FM; LYNDON, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WLTN-FM (96.7 FM; LISBON, NH; Owner: PROFILE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WMTK (106.3 FM; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WVFM (105.7 FM; CAMPTON, NH; Owner: DEVON BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WCKJ (90.5 FM; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WLKC (103.3 FM; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WVPS (107.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WKXH (105.5 FM; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WEZF (92.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WYKR-FM (101.3 FM; HAVERHILL, NH; Owner: PUFFER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WNCS (104.7 FM; MONTPELIER, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WXXS (102.3 FM; LANCASTER, NH; Owner: BARRY P. LUNDERVILLE)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around Ryegate:
- WLED-TV (Channel 49; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- WBVT-LP (Channel 39; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: NYN, LLC)
- Ryegate, Vermont
- Fatal accident count11
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents16
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons:5
- Persons involved in fatal accidents30
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents0
- Vermont average
- Fatal accident count54
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents75
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons23
- Persons involved in fatal accidents132
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents3
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 10Number of bridges
- 38m125ftTotal length
- $3,288,000Total costs
- 16,240Total average daily traffic
- 1,626Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Leagarge Substation, Route 302 (Lat: 44.204778 Lon: -72.169139), Type: Upole, Structure height: 20 m, Call Sign: WPZR338
Assigned Frequencies: 451.137 MHz, 457.462 MHzGrant Date: 03/08/2014, Expiration Date: 02/25/2024, Certifier: Noel ChristieRegistrant: Green Mountain Power Corporation, 2152 Post Rd, Rutland, VT 05701, Phone: (802) 747-5655, Fax: (802) 229-7841, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: W1LTW, Grant Date: 06/07/1988, Expiration Date: 06/07/1998, Cancellation Date: 06/09/2000, Registrant: Hassall E Nelson, ., Ryegate, VT 05042
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 9
- Hazardous Condition: 2
Incident types - Ryegate
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (65%)
- Wood (24%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (9%)
- Electricity (1%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Ryegate compared to Vermont state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.