|Median resident age:||39.0 years|
|Alabama median age:||35.8 years|
Zip code: 36773
Safford CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $44,857 (it was $34,500 in 2000)
- Black alone - 510 (73.5%)
- White alone - 175 (25.2%)
- Hispanic - 8 (1.2%)
- Two or more races - 1 (0.1%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 228 feet
Land area: 152.2 square miles.
|Population density: 4.2 people per square mile||(very low).|
For population 25 years and over in Safford:
- High school or higher: 45.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 5.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.5%
- Unemployed: 12.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Safford CCD:
- Never married: 40.3%
- Now married: 33.0%
- Separated: 4.7%
- Widowed: 14.4%
- Divorced: 12.3%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Safford CCD:||0.6% ($199)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Tuscaloosa, AL (62.7 miles , pop. 77,906).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Montgomery, AL (63.5 miles , pop. 201,568).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (506.7 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Orrville, AL (2.6 miles ), Catherine, AL (3.3 miles) , Alberta, AL (3.3 miles ), Uniontown, AL (3.6 miles ), Thomaston, AL (3.9 miles ), Dayton, AL (4.0 miles) , Boykin, AL (4.1 miles ), Faunsdale, AL (4.1 miles) .
Latitude: 32.31 N, Longitude: 87.36 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 334
- Repair and maintenance (23%)
- Construction (17%)
- Wood products (10%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (8%)
- Farm product raw materials merchant wholesalers (8%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (8%)
- Fuel dealers (7%)
- Health care (36%)
- Educational services (24%)
- Food and beverage stores (12%)
- U. S. Postal service (12%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (8%)
- Private households (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (15%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (13%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (10%)
- Woodworkers (10%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (10%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (8%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (27%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (12%)
- Cashiers (12%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (12%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (12%)
- Health technologists and technicians (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
Average climate in Safford, Alabama
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Safford-area historical tornado activity is below Alabama state average. It is 30% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/1/2007, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 13.5 miles away from the Safford place center killed one person and injured 2 people and caused $2 million in damages.
On 5/27/1973, a category F4 tornado 29.6 miles away from the place center killed 7 people and injured 199 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Safford-area historical earthquake activity is near Alabama state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 82.3 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 76.0 miles away from Safford center
On 11/7/2004 at 11:20:21, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 40.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 181.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/24/1975 at 11:11:36, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB) earthquake occurred 101.2 miles away from Safford center
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 421.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Dallas County (15) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 9, Floods: 7, Tornadoes: 7, Hurricanes: 4, Winds: 3, Drought: 1, Snowfall: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Safford:
- University of West Alabama (about 52 miles; Livingston, AL; Full-time enrollment: 3,394)
- Shelton State Community College (about 58 miles; Tuscaloosa, AL; FT enrollment: 4,106)
- University of Montevallo (about 63 miles; Montevallo, AL; FT enrollment: 2,826)
- Alabama State University (about 63 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 5,457)
- The University of Alabama (about 64 miles; Tuscaloosa, AL; FT enrollment: 30,931)
- Faulkner University (about 68 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 2,887)
- Auburn University at Montgomery (about 70 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 4,092)
Notable location: Safford Community Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Safford include: New Hebron Church (A), New Hope Church (B), Pine Grove Church (C), Saint James Church (D), Saints Chapel (E), Spring Hill Church (F), Star Bethel Church (G), Trinity Church (H), Aimwell Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Mount Zion Cemetery (1), Christian Light Cemetery (2), Saint John Cemetery (3), New Hope Cemetery (4), Athens Cemetery (5), Saint Chapter Cemetery (6), Martins Station Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Bon Aire Lake (A), Weissinger Lakes (B), Marion Weissinger Lake Number 2 (C), Marion Weissinger Lake Number One (D), W W Weissinger Number 4 Lake (E), F W Pierce Lake Number 2 (F), W W Weissinger Number 2 Lake (G), C A Caines Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Tayloe Creek (A), Sand Creek (B), Rogers Creek (C), Mud Creek (D), Lize Creek (E), Hogan Creek (F), Glover Creek (G), Freetown Creek (H), English Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.9% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Safford compared to Alabama state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (59%)
- Utility gas (21%)
- Electricity (16%)
- Wood (4%)
Religion statistics for Safford CCD (based on Dallas County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 43.61%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Churches of Christ||Episcopal Church|
|Name||Catholic Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||USA National Primitive Baptist Convention||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Dallas County:||2.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||1.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dallas County:||0.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dallas County:||9.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
4.20% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 200527,654 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Montgomery County, AL||0.45% ($22,063 average AGI)|
|from Autauga County, AL||0.38% ($25,981)|
|from Jefferson County, AL||0.26% ($23,811)|
5.60% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 200630,608 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Safford:
- WJOX (690 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WJUS (1310 AM; 5 kW; MARION, AL; Owner: GRACE BAPTIST TEMPLE CHURCH)
- WDJC (850 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WAPI (1070 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WASG (550 AM; 25 kW; ATMORE, AL; Owner: 550 AM, INC)
- WSJC (810 AM; 50 kW; MAGEE, MS; Owner: FAMILY TALK RADIO)
- WNSI (810 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: UNITED BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WMSP (740 AM; 10 kW; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WYLS (670 AM; daytime; 5 kW; YORK, AL; Owner: GRANTELL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WACV (1170 AM; 10 kW; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: MONTGOMERY BROADCAST PROPERTIES, LTD)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WKNG (1060 AM; daytime; 50 kW; TALLAPOOSA, GA; Owner: WKNG, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Safford:
- WVFG (107.5 FM; UNIONTOWN, AL; Owner: CHARLES E. JONES, JR.)
- WBFZ (105.3 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: IMANI COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION, INC)
- WJAM-FM (97.3 FM; ORRVILLE, AL; Owner: SCOTT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WINL (98.5 FM; LINDEN, AL; Owner: WEST ALABAMA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WAPR (88.3 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: UA-ASU-TSU EDUCATIONAL RADIO CORP.)
- WNPT-FM (102.9 FM; LINDEN, AL; Owner: BECKHAM PALMER III AS RECEIVER)
- WKXK (96.7 FM; PINE HILL, AL; Owner: AUTAUGAVILLE RADIO, INC.)
- WALX (100.9 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: ALEXANDER BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WMBV (91.9 FM; DIXONS MILLS, AL; Owner: THE MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO)
- WZNJ (106.5 FM; DEMOPOLIS, AL; Owner: ROSS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WAQU (91.1 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WDXX (100.1 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: BROADSOUTH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WYVC (102.3 FM; CAMDEN, AL; Owner: DOWN HOME BROADCASTING)
TV broadcast stations around Safford:
- WAKA (Channel 8; SELMA, AL; Owner: ALABAMA BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- WBIH (Channel 29; SELMA, AL; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WIIQ (Channel 41; DEMOPOLIS, AL; Owner: ALABAMA EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION COMMISSION)
- W24CK (Channel 24; SELMA, AL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Total length: 63 meters (207ft)
Total costs: $33,495,000
Total average daily traffic: 26,820
Total average daily truck traffic: 7,200
Total future (year 2029) average daily traffic: 43,930
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Safford)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:23 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers:2
- Hwy 5 2 Km Ne (Lat: 32.288750 Lon: -87.371389), Type: Tower, Structure height: 117 m, Call Sign: WPFR686
Assigned Frequencies: 858.812 MHz, 858.862 MHz, 858.887 MHz, 858.912 MHz, 859.287 MHz, 859.312 MHz, 859.337 MHz, 859.362 MHz, 859.387 MHz, 859.412 MHz... (+10 more)
Grant Date: 10/06/2009, Expiration Date: 09/30/2019
Registrant: Southernlinc Wireless, 4601 Southlake Parkway - Suite 150, Hoover, AL 35244, Phone: (205) 257-1300, Fax: (205) 874-3953, Email:
- Hwy 5 2 Km Ne (Lat: 32.288750 Lon: -87.371389), Type: Tower, Structure height: 117 m, Call Sign: WQJM742
Assigned Frequencies: 855.162 MHz
Grant Date: 09/01/2009, Expiration Date: 09/30/2019, Certifier: Robin J Cohen
Registrant: Sprint Nextel Corporation, 12502 Sunrise Valley Drive, Reston, VA 20191, Phone: (703) 433-4000, Fax: (703) 433-4483
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- SAFFORD, 4761 County Road 109 (Safford - 100046212) (Lat: 32.306639 Lon: -87.370778), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 91.4 m, Overall height: 92.3 m, Call Sign: WQQW243
Assigned Frequencies: 6034.15 MHz
Grant Date: 03/13/2013, Expiration Date: 03/13/2023, Certifier: Charles Cleary
Registrant: Verizon Wireless, 1120 Sanctuary Pkwy #150 Gasa5reg, Alpharetta, GA 30009-7630, Phone: (770) 797-1070, Fax: (770) 797-1036, Email:
FAA Registered Aircraft:3
- Aircraft: CESSNA 182S (Category: Land, Seats: 6, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: LYCOMING IO-540 SER (300 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 2689B , Serial Number: 18280317, Year manufactured: 1998, Airworthiness Date: 08/31/1998
Registrant (Co-Owned): Billy J Sanders, 6885 Alabama Highway 5, Safford, AL 36773, Other Owners: Walter H Givhan
- Aircraft: CESSNA 177RG (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 120 mph), Engine: LYCOMING IO-360-A1B6D (200 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 34866 , Serial Number: 177RG1015, Year manufactured: 1976, Airworthiness Date: 09/17/1976
Registrant (Individual): Samuel P Givhan, 6900 Al Highway 5, Safford, AL 36773
- Aircraft: CESSNA 150J (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR 0-200 SERIES (100 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 60499 , Serial Number: 15070355, Year manufactured: 1969, Airworthiness Date: 04/18/1969
Registrant (Individual): Samuel P Givhan, 6900 Al Highway 5, Safford, AL 36773
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 4
Safford on our top lists:
- #3 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Farm product raw material merchant wholesalers"
- #4 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Repair and maintenance"
- #5 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Fuel dealers"
- #6 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers"
- #12 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores"
- #16 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks"
- #24 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most people below the poverty level, excluding cities with 15% or more of residents in college and with the median age below 28"
- #57 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most bridges per 100,000 population"